Starting 5

• 249 replies
Re: Starting 5
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 08:05:08 PM »
Word is that Ely wasn’t buying into MAs system. Nevertheless a loss.
Eli, we hardly knew thee...

I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid and say this a good symptom. [1] If he was going to be a malcontent, better to get him out before polluting the locker room. [2] His skills were so insufficient, he was being recruited over. How many 2/3 guys did MA bring in plus returnees. And, this is a team with a lot of minutes available. [3] Like Bubba said above, maybe MA is making room for the Arkansas big man.

Foad

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »
Wright is listed at 6'5 190 and Williams is listed 6'3 205.

Confused Williams with Roberts, my mistake.

Foad

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 08:10:13 PM »
Let’s see where Wright transfers to. That usually says a lot.

He transferred to St John's. What does that say?

Foad

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2019, 08:17:08 PM »
I sure do like them there french-fried taters, hmm mmm

Foad

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 08:21:31 PM »
Like Bubba said above, maybe MA is making room for the Arkansas big man.

Yeah the 20 year old soph who's not listed in the transfer portal is going to come to St John's and sit one play two so he can graduate at age 24 and go directly on social security, seems legit.

TONYD3

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2019, 08:43:10 PM »
Let’s see where coach Mullin’s next job is?

Poison

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2019, 10:19:46 PM »

IDK, but I’d guess that he assumed that he’d be given a starting job because he’d transferred in from an SEC school.

Rodman

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2019, 10:39:08 PM »
The timing of his departure makes no sense.  The talent level here is less than when he transferred in.  If he is afraid of Rutherford and McGruff, the crime dog than he is probably at the wrong level.

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2019, 11:27:40 PM »
The timing of his departure makes no sense.  The talent level here is less than when he transferred in.  If he is afraid of Rutherford and McGruff, the crime dog than he is probably at the wrong level.
Considering he couldn’t get playing time at Miss St when they weren’t very good seems to think he’s not all that

TONYD3

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2019, 11:35:57 PM »
Considering he couldn’t get playing time at Miss St when they weren’t very good seems to think he’s not all that
We definitely could have used his scholarship last year. Just another screw up. He probably isn’t great, but he is better then anything we can get for this year. Our previous lazy ass coach really did a great job.

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2019, 11:38:51 PM »
I have no view on whether this is a good or bad thing because I haven't seen the kid play.  Based on HS rankings, he seemingly has talent, and so it sucks to lose him assuming he wasn't a malcontent or some other good reason.  The only thing I'm certain of is that this shouldn't be shocking given that a number of the kids Matt A. brought in were flighty by nature.

TONYD3

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2019, 12:41:02 AM »
I have no view on whether this is a good or bad thing because I haven't seen the kid play.  Based on HS rankings, he seemingly has talent, and so it sucks to lose him assuming he wasn't a malcontent or some other good reason.  The only thing I'm certain of is that this shouldn't be shocking given that a number of the kids Matt A. brought in were flighty by nature.
Matt A was not the head coach. You are really blaming the 4th assistant?

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2019, 10:20:23 AM »
Matt A was not the head coach. You are really blaming the 4th assistant?

I agree and also this constant hating on Matt is kind of silly. He was the transfer expert and got us good transfer players. The bigger problem was on Mullin  for not letting there be a good balance with stacking HS talent ala Slice and find a way to have them work together. Mullin was clearly not equipped to handle the personalities. Once again, an experienced head coach would have been able to work through this.

Foad

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2019, 02:58:53 PM »
IDK, but I’d guess that he assumed that he’d be given a starting job because he’d transferred in from an SEC school.

Cedric Jackson transferred to Cleveland St and Quincy Roberts transferred to Grambling and that worked out okay for them. Whereas Alpha Bangura and Phil Wait transferred from Monmouth. Where you end up matters less than what you do when you get there and unfortunately a lot of the players we've gotten from lesser conferences haven't done much when they got here. I'm not expecting anything different from Mikey Dixon II.

Foad

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2019, 02:59:47 PM »
Some folk call it a kaiser blade, I call it a sling blade, mmm, mmm.

Poison

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2019, 03:15:54 PM »

Without seeing him play and knowing why he left it’s hard to be anything other than disappointed because this wasn’t the way Eli Wright was supposed to turn out for St.John’s, and probably not Eli Wright either.

Poison

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2019, 03:18:56 PM »

Cedric Jackson transferred to Cleveland St and Quincy Roberts transferred to Grambling and that worked out okay for them. Whereas Alpha Bangura and Phil Wait transferred from Monmouth. Where you end up matters less than what you do when you get there and unfortunately a lot of the players we've gotten from lesser conferences haven't done much when they got here. I'm not expecting anything different from Mikey Dixon II.

People are ripping on Dixon quite a bit. I don’t care for the way he left the team in the middle of the season, but in the sample we saw, he played well. If Dunn is as good as Dixon I think he’ll put up points for us.

And Bangura transferred here from Monmouth. Phil Wait was a Norm Roberts recruit that transferred to Monmouth.

I have no idea what Dunn will do, but I like that he played with Shamorie Ponds in high school. I like that he did a lot for his St.Francis team to help them go from a terrible season to a respectable one. I think he’s going to do well here.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 03:25:03 PM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2019, 04:15:20 PM »
People are ripping on Dixon quite a bit. I don’t care for the way he left the team in the middle of the season, but in the sample we saw, he played well. If Dunn is as good as Dixon I think he’ll put up points for us.

I'm not ripping Dixon and wish he had not transferred. But the list of players who transferred to SJ from lesser conferences and performed well is short.

And Bangura transferred here from Monmouth. Phil Wait was a Norm Roberts recruit that transferred to Monmouth.

Two mistakes in two days. I'm slipping.

I have no idea what Dunn will do, but I like that he played with Shamorie Ponds in high school. I like that he did a lot for his St.Francis team to help them go from a terrible season to a respectable one. I think he’s going to do well here.

I try not to think much anymore but I hope he does well here. At least as well as fan fave Gene Lawrence, who played with Sebastian Telfair in high school.

Dunn was on the 27 loss SF win team that morphed into the 18 loss SF team. I suppose that is a sort of progress, although perhaps not quite respectable.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2019, 01:42:31 PM »
I'm not ripping Dixon and wish he had not transferred. But the list of players who transferred to SJ from lesser conferences and performed well is short.

Two mistakes in two days. I'm slipping.

I try not to think much anymore but I hope he does well here. At least as well as fan fave Gene Lawrence, who played with Sebastian Telfair in high school.

Dunn was on the 27 loss SF win team that morphed into the 18 loss SF team. I suppose that is a sort of progress, although perhaps not quite respectable.

It seems like every kid wants to be the star and if it doesn’t happen right away, they bolt.

That said, I would think Dunn will put up better numbers than Geno.
If he doesn’t, it’s going to be a long year.

In terms of who we’re bringing in from other conferences, it’s a case by case thing. Sure, there are better players in the SEC, Big Ten and Pac 12, but we’ve had guys from big programs that couldn’t hack it here, either.

I’m hoping that Dunn is the kid who wasn’t really recruited out of high school, but worked his butt off to get better. I haven’t seen enough of him to know how his game will translate to the BE, but it’s clear Dunn has been trying to play against tougher competition since he left St.Francis.

Marillac

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2019, 05:22:15 PM »
I watched a lot of Jefferson games when they had Dunn and Ponds and I was very impressed with Dunn. I’m too lazy to go back and watch tape to see why, but I think I remember being impressed with his ability to score with either hand and to control his body to draw contact and then get off good shots within 10-12 feet. I think he also reminded me of a Ced Jackson type loose ball/rebound hawk. My first reaction when we signed a Jefferson kid was “please be that kid who played with Ponds.”

With that written, I think Williams has to be the #3 guy. He has more upside as a shooter and he showed a good IQ last year. A lot of kids coming up from lower levels struggle with the pace and are too rushed. I think Dixon was fine offensively even if he was a little hurried, but his low IQ on defense was his undoing. I don’t see that being an issue with Dunn.

Williams should be able to help with our less than stellar PG situation by helping to keep the ball moving with LJ. We’ll need a lot of good passes and some penetration from those two.