Starting 5

• 249 replies
Re: Starting 5
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2019, 12:17:31 PM »
I think you're mistaking the true juco big with that severely undersized power forward that your boy Mullin recruited named Earlington. Thankfully due to Anderson's coaching acumen he may be able to make a reclamation project out of Earlington because Mullin sure as hell did not know how to utilize him.

The juco big you're referring to is 6'7 and a physical, inside scorer. He's also recruiting several other 6'8 and above guys. It's nice to have a coach who gets it and actually knows how to coach. Just watch and learn.

Do you make any sense? Earlington was brought in to be a 4 year guy and contribute as an upperclassmen. He was the 10th guy on the team and flashed some decent potential.

Sears is not 6'7. I've seen him in person. If you don't believe me refer to a pic floating around of him and Felipe Lopez. Felipe is clearly taller than him.

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2019, 12:33:56 PM »
Do you make any sense? Earlington was brought in to be a 4 year guy and contribute as an upperclassmen. He was the 10th guy on the team and flashed some decent potential.

Sears is not 6'7. I've seen him in person. If you don't believe me refer to a pic floating around of him and Felipe Lopez. Felipe is clearly taller than him.

Felipe has shot up a lot in his 30's and 40's.

Johnny23

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2019, 03:35:39 PM »

Clearly my retort was well above your pay grade. Mullin used a valuable scholly on Earlington. There were much more highly regarded big men out there and Earlington was on no one's radar. It was poor use of a scholly for a severaly undersized PF. Now thankfully Anderson is a real coach and may be able to make something decent out of Earlington but stop acting like this kid was part of some grand plan. It was just another swing and miss by Mullin kinda like your post.

When Anderson starts winning consistently I want you to apologize for your dumb posts trying to intimate that he won't get the job done here. Don't act like that's not what you're doing.

Marillac

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2019, 03:50:34 PM »
Clearly my retort was well above your pay grade. Mullin used a valuable scholly on Earlington. There were much more highly regarded big men out there and Earlington was on no one's radar. It was poor use of a scholly for a severaly undersized PF. Now thankfully Anderson is a real coach and may be able to make something decent out of Earlington but stop acting like this kid was part of some grand plan. It was just another swing and miss by Mullin kinda like your post.

When Anderson starts winning consistently I want you to apologize for your dumb posts trying to intimate that he won't get the job done here. Don't act like that's not what you're doing.

This is a weird way of apologizing for messing up the height of Sears.  Earlington is listed at 6'6 220 and Sears is listed at 6'7 230--and appears to be the same height as the 6'5 Felipe Lopez in a recent photo. The general consensus among St. John's fans is that Earlington is now indeed worth the scholarship and possesses some upside for a bottom of the roster guy.

Anderson may get "6'8 and above guys" as you stated, but he hasn't landed one yet.  The only guys 6'8 or taller on the roster are Mullin's recruits Roberts and Steere. 

I think Anderson will employ a better game plan for bigs than our last two coaches.  I expect rebounding to be more of a focus and for bigs to have a more defined role offensively. Recruiting will be what makes or breaks him.

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2019, 09:49:57 PM »
I think you're mistaking the true juco big with that severely undersized power forward that your boy Mullin recruited named Earlington. Thankfully due to Anderson's coaching acumen he may be able to make a reclamation project out of Earlington because Mullin sure as hell did not know how to utilize him.

The juco big you're referring to is 6'7 and a physical, inside scorer. He's also recruiting several other 6'8 and above guys. It's nice to have a coach who gets it and actually knows how to coach. Just watch and learn.
How the heck do you know so much about Anderson's "coaching acumen"? 

Were you really an Arkansas fan that followed him before all this went down or are you just talking out your a*s and going by his now irrelevant win/loss record before he came to the coaching Bermuda triangle on the corner of Union and Utopia.

Johnny23

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2019, 10:26:56 PM »
How the heck do you know so much about Anderson's "coaching acumen"? 

Were you really an Arkansas fan that followed him before all this went down or are you just talking out your a*s and going by his now irrelevant win/loss record before he came to the coaching Bermuda triangle on the corner of Union and Utopia.

Track record. SJU is a Bermuda Triangle of coaches, nothing more. You are making the job out to be worse than what it really is in large part to help save face of your idol, Mullin.  The only one talking out their ass is you by talking about Mullin's 7th place finish in the BE as his crowning achievement. That's delusional ass kissing 101. You are in the vast minority with that opinion.

Anderson has done it everywhere he's been. I look forward to telling you "I told you so" when he gets this program on solid footing. We shall see how it plays out.

Marillac

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2019, 10:42:01 PM »
Track record. SJU is a Bermuda Triangle of coaches, nothing more. You are making the job out to be worse than what it really is in large part to help save face of your idol, Mullin.  The only one talking out their ass is you by talking about Mullin's 7th place finish in the BE as his crowning achievement. That's delusional ass kissing 101. You are in the vast minority with that opinion.

Anderson has done it everywhere he's been.

He was just fired and replaced with a better coach. Not one of his players follows him here.

Johnny23

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2019, 10:56:58 PM »
He was just fired and replaced with a better coach. Not one of his players follows him here.

None of that changes what I said. His track record indicates that he has a good chance to get this program on solid footing. I don't know yet nor do you or anyone else how it will play out so we will have to wait and see.

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2019, 11:36:07 PM »
The only one talking out their ass is you by talking about Mullin's 7th place finish in the BE as his crowning achievement. 
Did he qualify for the Ncaa tournament or not?  Does that not match the best season a coach has had at St. John's that started this millennium or not?  You say we had a 7th place finish and that our out of conference schedule was abysmal yet we were 1 of only 4 BE teams that qualified for the dance.  I don't get it.  Why didn't the 5th and 6th place finishers get in?  What gives? Selection committee bias?
Anderson has done it everywhere he's been. I look forward to telling you "I told you so" when he gets this program on solid footing. 
So do I.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:37:35 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2019, 11:44:13 PM »

Earlington was always a high IQ kid with upside that was brought in for developmental purposes. He was never expected to contribute as a freshman. He flashed potential when he was in there. You're throwing Marcellus under the bus bcuz Mullin brought him in. You're sad butthurt little man.

« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2019, 11:47:05 PM »
None of that changes what I said. His track record indicates that he has a good chance to get this program on solid footing. I don't know yet nor do you or anyone else how it will play out so we will have to wait and see.

Now you're backtracking lol

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2019, 01:42:37 AM »
People were obviously beating down Wright's door when he couldn't hack it in the SEC anymore. His 3 pts and 13 min/game had him in really high demand mainly on the lone merit that he was a 4 star coming out of HS according to some on this board. The lunacy continues.

Did anyone actually watch this scrub play in college? Clearly not. Addition by subtraction. Now Anderson can fill the void with another big which is much more needed than whatever his name was.

Playing time and/or production does not equal talent.

Not talking specifically about Eli but can't use this logic to say player is good/bad.

I've seen Eli play and he's good. I think the problem for his career has been buying into team/role. Some coaches will take a chance thinking they can right the ship while others will cast away.

Talent wise Eli was a capable Big East player. I think Dunn is a better get than guys we previously got this spring but this isn't looking good.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2019, 01:44:12 AM »
The timing of his departure makes no sense.  The talent level here is less than when he transferred in.  If he is afraid of Rutherford and McGruff, the crime dog than he is probably at the wrong level.

He'll most likely get a waiver due to coaching change.

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2019, 01:48:32 AM »
I have no view on whether this is a good or bad thing because I haven't seen the kid play.  Based on HS rankings, he seemingly has talent, and so it sucks to lose him assuming he wasn't a malcontent or some other good reason.  The only thing I'm certain of is that this shouldn't be shocking given that a number of the kids Matt A. brought in were flighty by nature.

I don't disagree with anything you mentioned but have to roll the dice until you can build consistent winning culture. We haven't stuck with a coach for more than 4 years in the past 20 years nor have we won.

In today's game the transfer method is a solid strategy however I think once we achieved scholarship balance we should have relied on it less and really invested efforts into high school seniors. We were too transient in culture but this also could have been prevented by adding another coach in Richmond's spot ala Rice.

« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2019, 01:49:15 AM »
I agree and also this constant hating on Matt is kind of silly. He was the transfer expert and got us good transfer players. The bigger problem was on Mullin  for not letting there be a good balance with stacking HS talent ala Slice and find a way to have them work together. Mullin was clearly not equipped to handle the personalities. Once again, an experienced head coach would have been able to work through this.

Pretty good take

« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2019, 01:56:37 AM »
Earlington was always a high IQ kid with upside that was brought in for developmental purposes. He was never expected to contribute as a freshman. He flashed potential when he was in there. You're throwing Marcellus under the bus bcuz Mullin brought him in. You're sad butthurt little man.

Respectfully I think quite the opposite. I think he's a good athlete who we took a flyer on hoping he could develop but physically was ready to compete. I'm hopeful he can turn into a poor man's Jayvaughn Pinkston.

I think he was underutilized which resulted in him being underdeveloped at season's end.

« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2019, 03:49:10 PM »
Respectfully I think quite the opposite. I think he's a good athlete who we took a flyer on hoping he could develop but physically was ready to compete. I'm hopeful he can turn into a poor man's Jayvaughn Pinkston.

I think he was underutilized which resulted in him being underdeveloped at season's end.

He was never going to contribute much as a freshman with a roster of upperclassmen and them looking to win. He was behind Clark, Keita, Heron, LJ and even Roberts on the forward depth chart and was looked at as a 4 year guy. I have no problem with Earlington being on the roster and the way he was used. He flashed signs at times. The bigger issue last year was the lack of a ball handling guard that could take the pressure of Shamorie.

« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2019, 05:06:34 PM »
I don't disagree with anything you wrote as well.  I'm fine with playing the transfer game, and relying on it too much causes issues, because many transfers are "flighty" by nature, have had issues elsewhere, and are more likely in my view to jump at the first sign of adversity or because of a better option.  And I'm not absolving Mullin one bit - as HC everything falls on him.  But there has been sentiment expressed many places that Matt wanted to run recruiting and be viewed as the one responsible for bringing players to SJU.  Assistant coaches have to work and play nice together when it comes to recruiting and if, as some speculate, Matt was a big driver of the Slice-divide and breakup, some of that falls on him.  Because we never replaced that role with a capable second recruiter.  It's all speculation and water under the bridge at this point anyway because we'll never know the reason behind the Slice issue, not hiring another recruiter in his place, etc.

I don't disagree with anything you mentioned but have to roll the dice until you can build consistent winning culture. We haven't stuck with a coach for more than 4 years in the past 20 years nor have we won.

In today's game the transfer method is a solid strategy however I think once we achieved scholarship balance we should have relied on it less and really invested efforts into high school seniors. We were too transient in culture but this also could have been prevented by adding another coach in Richmond's spot ala Rice.

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2019, 11:00:17 PM »
Most of the players are actually from Arkansas on their roster

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2019, 01:03:37 AM »
He was never going to contribute much as a freshman with a roster of upperclassmen and them looking to win. He was behind Clark, Keita, Heron, LJ and even Roberts on the forward depth chart and was looked at as a 4 year guy. I have no problem with Earlington being on the roster and the way he was used. He flashed signs at times. The bigger issue last year was the lack of a ball handling guard that could take the pressure of Shamorie.

When Keita was down and out, Roberts still really raw, and teams we played were kind of small I think he could have found some time on the floor at the 4 as a mismatch.