Starting 5

• 249 replies

Johnny23

Re: Starting 5
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2019, 10:30:35 AM »
You are delirious. How do you know so much about his culture and system in August when you've never even met him let alone sitting in on meetings and practices?

For the umpteenth time, his track record over almost 20 years as a HC, not to mention his years as a top assistant under Nolan Richardson. You don't seem to grasp that. Do you think the culture and system he's built at all of his previous stops is suddenly going to be nonexistent now that he's here? Of course not. This isn't some newbie like your boy Mullin who had no system or culture. Anderson is a veteran, experienced, winning HC. You need to stop posting on this topic, it makes you look unknowledgeable.

« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2019, 12:33:20 AM »
I promise that this will be my last post in this vein.

I recognize that it's a good thing for a fan base to become excited and hopefully engaged.  Even if it's two chowderheads like you guys. Far be it from me to rain on that parade.

I realize that you hated the last coach - but love the current coach that you had never heard of just a couple of months ago.

I loved the last coach, as all real St. John fans did, - and being a rational individual am ambivalent and  indifferent about the current coach as I know little about him; have never seen him coach a game; and his record is 0 - 0.  He has my full support, as all St. John coaches do, and I wish him success and a fruitful tenure here.

You throw words like culture and system around like that's meaningful. It's not. It's gobeleegook. This is basketball - not anthropology.

Terms like hard work and discipline too. This is basketball - not the marine corp. The truth is you've never seen a practice or him coach a game live and have no ideas what he's telling and showing his charges. I'd bet St. Jean never told the team to work soft and be undisciplined.

You probably know about the same that I do about the Razorback. Next to nothing. Yes, he's had some success elsewhere which is encouraging. He's a Nolan Richardson disciple which should make things interesting. All college bball fans have fond memories of "40 minutes of hell" and Westhead's Loyola Marymount.

I understand that you're enamored with Anderson simply because he's not Mullin. I don't want to temper anyone's enthusiasm for the upcoming season but take a more wait and see/show me attitude towards our plethora of new coaches.   
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 12:38:10 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2019, 01:28:23 AM »
You should have quit while you were behind. It is possible to be a St. John's fan and yet know something about the rest of college basketball. It's called being a college basketball fan and if you had never heard of Mike Anderson then you are not a college basketball fan.

TONYD3

« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2019, 03:15:14 AM »

I recognize that it's a good thing for a fan base to become excited and hopefully engaged.  Even if it's two chowderheads like you guys. Far be it from me to rain on that parade.

I realize that you hated the last coach - but love the current coach that you had never heard of just a couple of months ago.

I loved the last coach, as all real St. John fans did, - and being a rational individual am ambivalent and  indifferent about the current coach as I know little about him; have never seen him coach a game; and his record is 0 - 0.  He has my full support, as all St. John coaches do, and I wish him success and a fruitful tenure here.

You throw words like culture and system around like that's meaningful. It's not. It's gobeleegook. This is basketball - not anthropology.

Terms like hard work and discipline too. This is basketball - not the marine corp. The truth is you've never seen a practice or him coach a game live and have no ideas what he's telling and showing his charges. I'd bet St. Jean never told the team to work soft and be undisciplined.

You probably know about the same that I do about the Razorback. Next to nothing. Yes, he's had some success elsewhere which is encouraging. He's a Nolan Richardson disciple which should make things interesting. All college bball fans have fond memories of "40 minutes of hell" and Westhead's Loyola Marymount.

I understand that you're enamored with Anderson simply because he's not Mullin. I don't want to temper anyone's enthusiasm for the upcoming season but take a more wait and see/show me attitude towards our plethora of new coaches.   
In March of 1985 I was finishing up 1st grade. Still I became a St. John’s fan in the late 80’s. Probably because of Chris mullin. My dad took me to games because I begged him. He was not a fan.

Mullin played for golden st. Back then they were never on Tv. By the time I really saw mullin he was a role player. Still I was proud of him. Dream team was great.
I watched his press conference. I was excited like everyone. But he didn’t do anything he said he was going to do.

To many fans were like you. Give the guy a pass. Cup board isn’t full. Trust the process. Coach Mullin’s short comings were obvious. An intervention should have happend. Look back when I first suggested that St. Jean was really coaching, look at what was said to me. I also suggested that Mitch be fired. Go read what was written. He made mistakes. He could have easily fixed them. He could have worked harder. He could have actually been “Chris Mullin” and went to every gym like he said he would. NYC was ready to embrace him. He didn’t want it. (Check out what Ewing is doing in comparison)

After 4 years of watching this losing I can’t believe you don’t believe culture is important. Transfer U doesn’t work. We don’t need 5 star players. We don’t need our star player changing his game to try and make the NBA. The kid from seton hall isn’t like that. He probably won’t make the NBA but he is a great college player. He will not be going through the motions.
I was a Steve Lavin fan and will always be. I thank him for the 5 years he was here. At NO TIME did I or do I think he was great coach. I think Anderson can be better. Those are reasonable expectations. Win 20 games and have a chance to the tournament most years.

What if DJ didn’t get hurt? That year could have been more special. I wish Harrison and company had more success. But I really enjoyed their 4 years. Anderson can deliver 4 years like that. He has done it.

For the life of me I have no idea why you are so proud of last season. That team should have achieved so much more. So much talent wasted.

Johnny23

« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2019, 11:46:30 AM »

Speak for yourself. I knew quite a bit about Anderson going back decades when he was at UAB. Just because you don't follow college basketball that closely outside of SJU doesn't mean the rest of us don't.

Poison

« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2019, 12:48:51 PM »
For the umpteenth time, his track record over almost 20 years as a HC, not to mention his years as a top assistant under Nolan Richardson. You don't seem to grasp that. Do you think the culture and system he's built at all of his previous stops is suddenly going to be nonexistent now that he's here? Of course not. This isn't some newbie like your boy Mullin who had no system or culture. Anderson is a veteran, experienced, winning HC. You need to stop posting on this topic, it makes you look unknowledgeable.

I hope the culture will be different in terms of intensity on the court. One reason to believe that it will change is I think a head coach has to be there as much as possible to reinforce what he wants to teach. Mike Anderson is present. That’s a great start. It’s hopeful.

I think CMA has a very good, but certainly not flawless track record. Most of his success as a head coach came before he got to Arkansas. That should have worked out better for him. As we get to know CMA, I’m sure we’ll get to see his strengths and weaknesses with some clarity.

Now, all we have to go by is evidence of work, and it’s there.

Johnny23

« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2019, 02:03:37 PM »
I hope the culture will be different in terms of intensity on the court. One reason to believe that it will change is I think a head coach has to be there as much as possible to reinforce what he wants to teach. Mike Anderson is present. That’s a great start. It’s hopeful.

I think CMA has a very good, but certainly not flawless track record. Most of his success as a head coach came before he got to Arkansas. That should have worked out better for him. As we get to know CMA, I’m sure we’ll get to see his strengths and weaknesses with some clarity.

Now, all we have to go by is evidence of work, and it’s there.

No doubt he has flaws. If he didn't have flaws he wouldn't be our new HC. He would be at a much higher level. For our program in its current place in the college hoops world I think Anderson is a good hire.

TONYD3

« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2019, 02:43:25 PM »
Our school has taken way to much abuse so we could save our hero some face. This is a good job. Anderson is a good coach who didn’t do as well as he could have. I believe he is hungry for another chance. Flaws is not the word I would use. If he payed as many players as will wade and Bruce pearl he would still be At Arkansas.

« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2019, 05:51:54 PM »
Who knew we had so many Mike Anderson experts? I'm wondering why his name was never tossed around in the last 3 coaching searches over the past 10 years?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

TONYD3

« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2019, 06:05:55 PM »
Who knew we had so many Mike Anderson experts? I'm wondering why his name was never tossed around in the last 3 coaching searches over the past 10 years?
We sadly had a St. John’s expert on this site. I am wondering why he kept quiet as we lost game after game in humiliating fashion. If more people spoke up 20-51 wouldn’t have happened.

« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2019, 06:08:28 PM »

Really? The same reason we never heard Mark Turgeon or Bruce Weber.

It’s obvious Mike Anderson is an outside pick for sju. And looking at our past, maybe that’s a good thing.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

goredmen

« Reply #171 on: August 18, 2019, 06:29:13 PM »

Wow, what an absolutely ridiculous and idiotic statement.

Foad

« Reply #172 on: August 18, 2019, 06:46:53 PM »

Wow, what an absolutely ridiculous and idiotic statement.

He didn't make a statement, he asked two questions.

« Reply #173 on: August 18, 2019, 06:51:19 PM »
The two years we were searching and hired Lavin and Mullin, Anderson was coming off the following:

Lavin hire - Anderson finished his fourth year at Missouri, finished 23-11, and was 31-7 the year prior. Both tourney invites, and conf champ year prior

Mullin hire - Anderson finished his fourth year at Arkansas, finished 27-9 and first tourney w/ them.  Was 22-12 year prior.

He would not have come here, nor would the people in charge of the search been looking at him. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:52:11 PM by RedStormNC »

Foad

« Reply #174 on: August 18, 2019, 06:54:02 PM »
Really? The same reason we never heard Mark Turgeon or Bruce Weber.

No, not really. Those two guys were successful coaches who had no reason two leave their well paying jobs for the Bermuda Triangle of coaching that is Jamaica. As opposed to, you know, Danny Bobby Hurley and Porter Wagoner Mosley. As also opposed to Coach Third Choice, who due to his humiliating firing was as available as a sloppy drunk fat broad at the bar at 3 AM.

Foad

« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2019, 06:57:22 PM »
The two years we were searching and hired Lavin and Mullin, Anderson was coming off the following:

Lavin hire - Anderson finished his fourth year at Missouri, finished 23-11, and was 31-7 the year prior. Both tourney invites, and conf champ year prior

Mullin hire - Anderson finished his fourth year at Arkansas, finished 27-9 and first tourney w/ them.  Was 22-12 year prior.

He would not have come here, nor would the people in charge of the search been looking at him. 

So you're saying we're fortunate coach third choice started his downward trajectory just around the time St John's was desperate to hire anyone at all, having been turned down by almost everyone else. That's heartening. 

Poison

« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2019, 06:58:59 PM »

Probably because he’s not a NY guy and for some that’s enough.

In regards to hiring coaches, this isn’t exactly an administration known for their good judgement.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:01:16 PM by Poison »

« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2019, 07:26:26 PM »
You should have quit while you were behind. It is possible to be a St. John's fan and yet know something about the rest of college basketball. It's called being a college basketball fan and if you had never heard of Mike Anderson then you are not a college basketball fan.
Thank you.

« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2019, 07:52:37 PM »
No, not really. Those two guys were successful coaches who had no reason two leave their well paying jobs for the Bermuda Triangle of coaching that is Jamaica. As opposed to, you know, Danny Bobby Hurley and Porter Wagoner Mosley. As also opposed to Coach Third Choice, who due to his humiliating firing was as available as a sloppy drunk fat broad at the bar at 3 AM.

My point was they were successful coaches who didn’t need or have any interest in St. John’s. That Mike Anderson was never mentioned for a St. Johns job until he was mentioned for the St. John’s job means nothing regarding the hire.

BTW. Did Bruce Weber get fired from his last job? Does Mark Turgeon have a worse winning % and less elite 8 appearances than Mike Anderson? Does that fact Mike Anderson got fired from Arkansas mean he can’t win at St. John’s?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2019, 08:19:37 PM »
My point was they were successful coaches who didn’t need or have any interest in St. John’s. That Mike Anderson was never mentioned for a St. Johns job until he was mentioned for the St. John’s job means nothing regarding the hire.

I don't care what your point was. Dave's point was why didn't their names get tossed around as prospective coaches and the answer is because they're much more successful than coach third choice ever was and they have no reason to end up in Jamaica. Whatever point you think you're making you're not.

BTW. Did Bruce Weber get fired from his last job? Does Mark Turgeon have a worse winning % and less elite 8 appearances than Mike Anderson? Does that fact Mike Anderson got fired from Arkansas mean he can’t win at St. John’s?

BTW. Are all those questions irrelevant non sequiturs, and yes they are and no Weber didn't get fired from his last job and no Turgeon is not less successful recently than is CTC - he's made the tournament 4 of the last five years as opposed to CTC's 3 of the last 8 - and IHNFI whether CTC is going to win at SJ's but if history is any indication he's going to fail spectacularly.