5 Predictions for the 19-20 season

• 58 replies
Re: 5 Predictions for the 19-20 season
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2019, 06:56:52 PM »
Anderson doesn’t lose to no name teams, he never has, Mullin may have because he doesn’t have a game plan, but that’s why Anderson has never had a losing season, his style will always let his teams beat teams that have worse rosters, but will not beat as many high teams as Mullin May have until he gets his roster better, CMA’s style will always allow his teams to beat whoever’s team are at the same skill set or worse.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2019, 08:36:41 PM »
Anderson doesn’t lose to no name teams, he never has, Mullin may have because he doesn’t have a game plan, but that’s why Anderson has never had a losing season, his style will always let his teams beat teams that have worse rosters, but will not beat as many high teams as Mullin May have until he gets his roster better, CMA’s style will always allow his teams to beat whoever’s team are at the same skill set or worse.

Every coach since Lou Carnesecca has lost these games. The only coach after Carnesecca to not lose to a no name school in his first season was Mike Jarvis. 

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2019, 08:40:33 PM »
Anderson doesn’t lose to no name teams, he never has, 
He's never coached at St. John's before either.

Foad

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 08:59:55 PM »
Anderson doesn’t lose to no name teams, he never has,

Right, he only loses to big time programs like Akron and Mercer.

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2019, 10:05:49 PM »
Finishing around .500 and making the NIT should be a reasonable goal next year.  To achieve that both Williams and Roberts need to contribute. Both are long and athletic. Both should fit in great with what Coach Anderson is trying to do. THIS COACH has a a plan.
So a 6/7 place finish in year 1 would be fine. Finishing 10th, 8th, tied  for 10th and 7th would be embarrassing. But I am not expecting a repeat even though the cupboards kind of bare. Culture and system will be in place. Improved recruiting is coming. Players will not only stay they will get better. Remember coaching is easy but you can’t skip steps. Losing by 30 points every game and giving up 90 points is really not part of the process.
As nice as both Williams and Roberts fit in with the current team they didn’t fit in at all with what coach Mullins was trying to do. You would think he would value shooters. Neither guy is a good outside shooter. In Mullins defense, how active was he in their recruitment? He probably didn’t even know their names.
Anderson is lucky to have both players. If Mullins stayed these 2 would likely have been in the transfer portal next year after another 10th place finish.
Last years staff has little to no effect on this season. So once the season starts they deserve no blame. When LJ or Herron make 1st team all big east, coach mullins deserves no credit. When Williams plays starter minutes and proves to be a capable big east player it will not because of part time Mitch. If Roberts can play 15/20 minutes a night, play tough defense and score a few points it won’t be because of Greg St. Jean.
Even without top talent coach anderson is expected to win his first year. He certainly won’t lose his exhibition game by 40 points. Maybe we lose a game or 2 that we shouldn’t but it won’t be incarnate word like.
Once again I want remind you I told you your boy was out as soon as we got a real AD. It was obvious. Cragg hated him almost as much as I do. You can mock our new coach all you want. He is going to win plenty of games.

Is there a bigger loser on these boards than you?

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2019, 10:12:46 PM »
Right, he only loses to big time programs like Akron and Mercer.

In 15-16 when he lost to Akron and Mercer, at the time of those losses he was playing with only 7 or 8 scholarship players and only 1 returning starter, and the sole returning starter got suspended.  That was the year where we had 3 players that had what we refer to as the "funny money" situation and was using fake bills to pay for stuff at a gas station in the off-season, 2 were suspended and one kicked off the team, and our highest rated recruit coming in that year was ruled as ineligible, then magically ruled eligible for NC-State.  It was probably the worst off-season in Razorback history.  It would be the equivalent of LJ, Heron, and Steere getting suspended, and then Dunn getting ruled ineligible to play this year.

That team shouldn't have won 10 games, and CMA somehow won 16 with them, even some CMA haters in Arkansas give CMA credit for coaching that team to a 16-16 season.  SEC analyst on SEC Network did a best coaching jobs segment, and they had CMA as one of the best coaching jobs with what he had.

Banner knows what he's talking about, if CMA has a full roster, which he does this year, he never losses to lesser programs, especially at home.  He has like an 80 win % in home games, you don't luck into that.

Foad

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2019, 08:25:51 AM »
he lost to Akron and Mercer

So when Mrs. Anderson said coach third choice "doesn’t lose to no name teams, he never has" he was wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

<novella length list of excuses explaining why CTC lost to no names hosed>

TONYD3

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2019, 10:20:57 AM »
So when Mrs. Anderson said coach third choice "doesn’t lose to no name teams, he never has" he was wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

Can’t you just give him a pass. It’s not like he lost by 40 to st. Thomas. I didn’t see the Akron games, but I am going to give our new coach the benefit of the doubt that he was at least paying attention.

TONYD3

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2019, 10:22:04 AM »
Is there a bigger loser on these boards than you?
Tell us again how lazy ass improved every year.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2019, 11:34:58 AM »

There’s a clear difference between a program that has made the NCAA tournament, and even had success there and a no name program like Fordham, Incarnate Word, NJIT or Delaware State.

Don’t you agree?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 11:43:05 AM by Poison »

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2019, 11:37:52 AM »
In 15-16 when he lost to Akron and Mercer, at the time of those losses he was playing with only 7 or 8 scholarship players and only 1 returning starter, and the sole returning starter got suspended.  That was the year where we had 3 players that had what we refer to as the "funny money" situation and was using fake bills to pay for stuff at a gas station in the off-season, 2 were suspended and one kicked off the team, and our highest rated recruit coming in that year was ruled as ineligible, then magically ruled eligible for NC-State.  It was probably the worst off-season in Razorback history.  It would be the equivalent of LJ, Heron, and Steere getting suspended, and then Dunn getting ruled ineligible to play this year.

That team shouldn't have won 10 games, and CMA somehow won 16 with them, even some CMA haters in Arkansas give CMA credit for coaching that team to a 16-16 season.  SEC analyst on SEC Network did a best coaching jobs segment, and they had CMA as one of the best coaching jobs with what he had.

Banner knows what he's talking about, if CMA has a full roster, which he does this year, he never losses to lesser programs, especially at home.  He has like an 80 win % in home games, you don't luck into that.
Man, I'm getting excited to see CTC in action!  Let's go!

TONYD3

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2019, 01:09:11 PM »
There’s a clear difference between a program that has made the NCAA tournament, and even had success there and a no name program like Fordham, Incarnate Word, NJIT or Delaware State.

Don’t you agree?
We were not even competitive vs Fordham and incarnate word. Mussini, yakwe and Durand Johnson were 4 star players. Ellison, sima, and Felix were 3 star. Terrible team but still.
In the second half vs incarnate word, slice opened his mouth for the first time that I noticed and suggested we try and guard their PF. He hit 3/4 wide open 3 pointers before that. Defense didn’t improve after that astute comment.

Fordham was most embarrassing game that I ever went to. That’s when my hate first started. Getting killed at rose hill. Only fight coach Mullins had is when he wanted to fight the other coach after the game. We got dominated by a kid in the post who wasn’t good enough to play here. Again it was obvious they didn’t prepare for the press.
But he should get a pass. Why should a coach making 2 million dollars be expected to compete with Fordham? Coach Mullins also gets a pass for coach slice. It’s not mullins fault that Barry is even a bigger empty suit then he is. How long was slice’s contract? How much did get from the university?
Maybe next time coach Mullins gets a job he could actually interview assistants for their jobs.

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2019, 01:11:52 PM »

I've seen enough of your posts to know that you would completely ignore everything I said.  You don't like Coach Anderson, we get it.

My post was meant for those who care about facts and context.  It's a pet peeve of mine for people to cherry pick information and not tell the complete story whether it's good or bad.  Coach third choice, as you like to call him, resume speaks for itself, he's rebuilt 3 different programs, and left them all in much better shape than when he got them, all while never having a single losing season.  Don't have to make excuses for him, those are just facts.

Foad

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »
You don't like Coach Anderson, we get it.

In the first place unless you're the Queen of England there is no we; in the second you and Jethro are Coach Anderson groupies, we [sic] get it; and in the third I don't like or dislike Coach Anderson, who wasn't on my radar under two months ago when he jumped on Porter Moser's sloppy seconds. What am is skeptical that CTC is going to succeed in Jamaica, where careers come to die and what I dislike is the slobbering over his achievements so far, which are as far as I can tell that he gets up early in the morning and has an uncanny ability to attract coveted 2 star recruits.

My post was meant for those who care about facts and context.  It's a pet peeve of mine for people to cherry pick information and not tell the complete story

And it's a pet peeve of mine when people lie. Mrs. Anderson said CTC "never" loses to no name teams. That is demonstrably false. So I corrected the record. If he'd said CTC "rarely" loses to those teams that would be true and I would have said nothing. Instead he gilded the lily and no amount of "context" is going to make his false statement true, which rendered your post irrelevant.

<remainder hosed>

Foad

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2019, 02:04:17 PM »

Don’t you agree?

I agree that a program with SJ's tradition and resources should not be losing to NJIT and Delaware State, although as you said almost every SJ coach has thrown in some clunkers. Lou lost to Niagara with a Final Four team, it's be hard to top that one.

Fordham's made the tournament twice since 1970 - as opposed to Akron and Mercer who have seven appearances between them since then - and were ranked 9th in the country under Digger Phelps. That didn't make Steve Lavin blowing a 20 point second half lead at Rose Hill any more or less palatable. It was just another bad loss is a conga line of bad losses that SJ fans have suffered through for 50 years.

Poison

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2019, 02:38:02 PM »
I agree that a program with SJ's tradition and resources should not be losing to NJIT and Delaware State, although as you said almost every SJ coach has thrown in some clunkers. Lou lost to Niagara with a Final Four team, it's be hard to top that one.

Fordham's made the tournament twice since 1970 - as opposed to Akron and Mercer who have seven appearances between them since then - and were ranked 9th in the country under Digger Phelps. That didn't make Steve Lavin blowing a 20 point second half lead at Rose Hill any more or less palatable. It was just another bad loss is a conga line of bad losses that SJ fans have suffered through for 50 years.

Even with the little success each coach has had, it took time to get the players to learn and then buy into their system. That results in losses to programs we shouldn't ever lose to. Fordham has beaten Mahoney, Jarvis, Lavin and Mullin. I don't expect a much different result this year, however, I am encouraged by Coach Anderson's focus on conditioning.

It certainly seems like he is doing what a coach can do to prepare his team for the season. And maybe that will result in a stronger pre season than many expect? We'll see soon enough.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 02:42:57 PM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2019, 02:53:04 PM »
Teams get upset every year. It’s part of college basketball. It happens to every team. Sometimes one team is really hot and the other team has an off game.
Getting blown out by a cupcake like incarnate word is not the same thing.

Foad

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2019, 03:24:38 PM »
Even with the little success each coach has had, it took time to get the players to learn and then buy into their system. That results in losses to programs we shouldn't ever lose to. Fordham has beaten Mahoney, Jarvis, Lavin and Mullin. I don't expect a much different result this year, however, I am encouraged by Coach Anderson's focus on conditioning.

It certainly seems like he is doing what a coach can do to prepare his team for the season. And maybe that will result in a stronger pre season than many expect? We'll see soon enough.

I'm content to let the season come to me and if it's a winning one I'll be happy (relatively speaking) and if it's not it'll be another in a long line of disappointments. But consider Mrs. Anderson's post:

"Anderson['s] style will always let his teams beat teams that have worse rosters ... CMA’s style will always allow his teams to beat whoever’s team are at the same skill set or worse."

If true that's not a pleasant prognosis, because it means that SJ will never compete on a national level, because SJ will never recruit enough players for CTC to have a roster better than the blue bloods. And it probably means that SJ will rarely be in the hunt in the BE, because SJ will not recruit better than Villanova and Marquette and Georgetown and I kind of doubt that superior coaches like Jay Wright and Doug McDermott's father and Ed Cooley are losing sleep over how to beat a full court press. Which makes us Seton Hall, an occasional one and done, which maybe that's good enough. And it also explains why CTC's career success is front loaded, that is, why he was not nearly as successful in the SEC as he was in lesser conferences - 6 tournaments in his first 9 years versus 3 in last eight - where the talent level is lower: he couldn't out recruit Kentucky and Tennessee and Florida and he couldn't outcoach Anthony Grant and Bruce Pearl or even dopey Frank Martin. Which is why my glass remains half empty, of bile.

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2019, 06:34:01 PM »
In the first place unless you're the Queen of England there is no we; in the second you and Jethro are Coach Anderson groupies, we [sic] get it; and in the third I don't like or dislike Coach Anderson, who wasn't on my radar under two months ago when he jumped on Porter Moser's sloppy seconds. What am is skeptical that CTC is going to succeed in Jamaica, where careers come to die and what I dislike is the slobbering over his achievements so far, which are as far as I can tell that he gets up early in the morning and has an uncanny ability to attract coveted 2 star recruits.

And it's a pet peeve of mine when people lie. Mrs. Anderson said CTC "never" loses to no name teams. That is demonstrably false. So I corrected the record. If he'd said CTC "rarely" loses to those teams that would be true and I would have said nothing. Instead he gilded the lily and no amount of "context" is going to make his false statement true, which rendered your post irrelevant.

<remainder hosed>

Jethro, Anderson Groupies, Coach Third Choice, Mrs. Anderson, notice how all of your posts is just you rambling and calling people names.  It's not that serious to do all that, to let someone know you disagree with them. 

For those that care, I put in context the rare losses to lesser programs, if you don't care, you're welcome to ignore my posts (I don't post here much anyways), and I will continue to ignore most of what you say.

Have a good day!

Foad

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2019, 06:57:36 PM »
Jethro, Anderson Groupies, Coach Third Choice, Mrs. Anderson, notice how all of your posts is just you rambling and calling people names.  It's not that serious to do all that, to let someone know you disagree with them. 

For those that care, I put in context the rare losses to lesser programs, if you don't care, you're welcome to ignore my posts (I don't post here much anyways), and I will continue to ignore most of what you say.

Have a good day!

Say what you want dummy, but every regular poster here recognizes that I'm a national treasure. Even the people who hate me for what I say how I say what I'm saying and how I'm saying it love me for what I am. Or since you're from Arkansas, were.