The path to 75 points a game

• 50 replies
Re: The path to 75 points a game
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2019, 07:25:35 AM »
You are all sleeping on McGriff.

LJ and Heron need to combine for at least 36 ppg. Williams or Dunn has to step up to 12-14.

Come on now don’t tease us. Give us a number.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 01:09:47 AM »
Come on now don’t tease us. Give us a number.

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2019, 06:41:36 AM »

Wow youve made some bold predictions in the past. Don’t see a way that happens this year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2019, 12:56:46 PM »
I put 75 as this was a similar number to what we scored last year but I could see this being a more grind it out 65ppg too. Not sure in terms of tempo of what offense will be generated off of defense. We're definitely not as a perimeter oriented team as we were.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2019, 01:22:09 PM »
I put 75 as this was a similar number to what we scored last year but I could see this being a more grind it out 65ppg too. Not sure in terms of tempo of what offense will be generated off of defense. We're definitely not as a perimeter oriented team as we were.

65 ppg would have ranked 333 out of 353 teams last season. Anderson has been top 100 in tempo every year, top 25 in that a handful of times. If we average 65 ppg we will be the most inefficient team in the history of college basketball.

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2019, 10:36:57 PM »
65 ppg would have ranked 333 out of 353 teams last season. Anderson has been top 100 in tempo every year, top 25 in that a handful of times. If we average 65 ppg we will be the most inefficient team in the history of college basketball.

I could see this team following a similar distribution to the 2013 team. We have 2 really good scorers who will combine for ~30 a game. Can Dunn be that 3rd double digit scorer? We have a few in 4-6 range.

It's why I'm curious what is our path to 75? How much offense will be generated off defense? How will rotation be effected by potentially playing uptempo defensively? How will not having a proven point guard effect us in conference?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2599/season/2013

Poison

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2019, 10:47:07 PM »
I could see this team following a similar distribution to the 2013 team. We have 2 really good scorers who will combine for ~30 a game. Can Dunn be that 3rd double digit scorer? We have a few in 4-6 range.

It's why I'm curious what is our path to 75? How much offense will be generated off defense? How will rotation be effected by potentially playing uptempo defensively? How will not having a proven point guard effect us in conference?

Your comparison to the 2013 team is pretty good. Sampson + Harrison and no starting point guard to begin the season. I think that really hurt them. Greene was such a poor distributor that he took players out the game.

IDK what kind of players Rutherford and McGriff are, however, if they pass the ball, they have an advantage over Phil Greene.

goredmen

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 10:57:11 PM »

Not getting to 75 is one thing, but to say this might be a 65 ppg team is ridiculous unless you think Mike Anderson at age 59 is going to change his coaching style to the be the exact opposite of what it's been his whole career.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2019, 04:27:07 PM »
Wow youve made some bold predictions in the past. Don’t see a way that happens this year.

Now it’s 7.3.

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2019, 07:30:28 PM »
Your comparison to the 2013 team is pretty good. Sampson + Harrison and no starting point guard to begin the season. I think that really hurt them. Greene was such a poor distributor that he took players out the game.

IDK what kind of players Rutherford and McGriff are, however, if they pass the ball, they have an advantage over Phil Greene.

I think Jamal Branch > Rutherford and McGriff if we want to compare down the line.

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2019, 07:31:13 PM »
Not getting to 75 is one thing, but to say this might be a 65 ppg team is ridiculous unless you think Mike Anderson at age 59 is going to change his coaching style to the be the exact opposite of what it's been his whole career.

It's the offseason everything is a might at this point.

Foad

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2019, 08:01:07 PM »
I think Jamal Branch > Rutherford and McGriff if we want to compare down the line.

If these two combined are worse than Branch that's a problem, because Branch was awful.

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2019, 10:04:16 PM »
If these two combined are worse than Branch that's a problem, because Branch was awful.

I don't think Branch was awful. He was disappointing. The production didn't mean the expectations. He didn't make an impact

SJUFAN

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2019, 11:23:46 PM »

Poison

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2019, 11:55:43 PM »

Probably yes, but Branch was one guy. Coach recruited two point guards. Lavin and Mullin both failed to recognize how important the position was. We never had more than one point or combo guard on our team. If that guy got hurt, our season was over.

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2019, 12:31:11 AM »
Probably yes, but Branch was one guy. Coach recruited two point guards. Lavin and Mullin both failed to recognize how important the position was. We never had more than one point or combo guard on our team. If that guy got hurt, our season was over.

I agree with you. One of our best years in recent times was with Hardy starting PG and Boothe being change of pace backup.

Shamorie and Lovett should have been a great duo but that never materialized.

I think Greg Williams can be a more point combo version of Phil Greene. They are similar players and mental makeup.

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2019, 01:53:37 AM »
I think Greg Williams can be a more point combo version of Phil Greene. They are similar players and mental makeup.
I know he's young and I guess anything is possible, but he would have to improve his three point shooting a ton to be similar to the Rhombus. Phil led the entire conference in three point shooting as a senior.

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2019, 03:11:13 AM »
I agree with you. One of our best years in recent times was with Hardy starting PG and Boothe being change of pace backup.

Shamorie and Lovett should have been a great duo but that never materialized.

Greg Williams has a higher ceiling because of his athleticism and what he can do off the bounce. He also looked like the better defender.  It's fair to say that Phil had the higher floor because he was more D-1 ready and slightly more skilled.

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2019, 03:20:28 AM »
How could you not be excited. If you haven’t read it. https://nypost.com/2019/10/08/st-johns-recruiting-pattern-says-a-lot-about-mike-anderson-era/

Is this a serious question?  These are low level recruits.  You can't seriously think that there were no top 100 kids that fit his system as well.  Maybe he can win with them, but they certainly don't give him the best chance to succeed here. Is that really so hard to understand? 

SJUFAN

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2019, 01:19:17 PM »
Is this a serious question?  These are low level recruits.  You can't seriously think that there were no top 100 kids that fit his system as well.  Maybe he can win with them, but they certainly don't give him the best chance to succeed here. Is that really so hard to understand? 

If there were any top 100 kids who checks off all the intangibles and wanted to be here they would be here. Is that too hard to understand? I’m referring to his vision. You can remain stuck on the stars. Coach is going to flourish here.