Game 4: Vermont- Saturday 11/16 4P (Queens)

• 365 replies

goredmen

Re: Game 4: Vermont- Saturday 11/16 4P (Queens)
« Reply #260 on: November 19, 2019, 11:11:03 PM »
Bad loss but the whole "too lazy" rhetoric on why we didn't get a player here or there needs to stop. Sometimes these players just don't exist especially late.

Lolol weren't you guy the saying how bad all of Anderson's recruits were this summer when he was trying to fill out the roster and now you say "sometimes these players just don't exist especially late". Good grief

TONYD3

« Reply #261 on: November 19, 2019, 11:17:12 PM »
Lolol weren't you guy the saying how bad all of Anderson's recruits were this summer when he was trying to fill out the roster and now you say "sometimes these players just don't exist especially late". Good grief
Can’t make this shit up. I thought Dave was finally admitting reality.

« Reply #262 on: November 20, 2019, 12:20:55 AM »
If my aunt had balls she’d be my Uncle. He finished in 7th place. That doesn’t change his moment of glory as a St. John’s Men’s basketball Coach. Leading us to one post season tournament in 4 years....a play in game to boot.

The same two talents who finished in 7th place last year with a better supporting cast. What Mullin inherited his first year is not relevant.

You mean after he demonstrated his ability to brilliantly navigate the most talented roster in the BE to a 7th place finish?
Which is more important when it comes to judging a season?

1) Where you finish in the regular season conference standings or
2) Whether or not you qualify for the Ncaa tournament

i.e.
1) Would you rather finish first or second in the conference regular season and not make the dance or
2) Would you rather finish 7th in the conference regular season and qualify for the Ncaa tournament.

I think I've framed it now in a way that even you can comprehend.

« Reply #263 on: November 20, 2019, 12:33:14 AM »
I like the way we battled back after going down 10 (or more?) late against Vermont. We showed good fight and didn't quit.

SJUFAN

« Reply #264 on: November 20, 2019, 02:04:41 AM »
Which is more important when it comes to judging a season?

1) Where you finish in the regular season conference standings or
2) Whether or not you qualify for the Ncaa tournament

i.e.
1) Would you rather finish first or second in the conference regular season and not make the dance or
2) Would you rather finish 7th in the conference regular season and qualify for the Ncaa tournament.

I think I've framed it now in a way that even you can comprehend.

The season was a success because we made it to the play in game. Doesn’t change the fact that we underachieved.

« Reply #265 on: November 20, 2019, 06:20:36 AM »

Thank you!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #266 on: November 20, 2019, 08:11:45 AM »
Top 25 Vermont has an early season game against #1 Virginia circled on its calendar but before that they have a meaningless out of conference road game against cupcake St John's, a perennial national laughingstock picked to finish last in its conference. Predictably Vermont puts in a classic trap game performance, plays down to its opponent, does just enough to not lose and goes on to do pretty well in the game it was looking forward to. Delusional St John's fans post regular updates of the VA UVM game, thinking is a barometer of what the upcoming season portends.

Filed under ball-washing; you can't make this up

Poison

« Reply #267 on: November 20, 2019, 10:45:50 AM »
Top 25 Vermont has an early season game against #1 Virginia circled on its calendar but before that they have a meaningless out of conference road game against cupcake St John's, a perennial national laughingstock picked to finish last in its conference. Predictably Vermont puts in a classic trap game performance, plays down to its opponent, does just enough to not lose and goes on to do pretty well in the game it was looking forward to. Delusional St John's fans post regular updates of the VA UVM game, thinking is a barometer of what the upcoming season portends.

Vermont looks like a team that can take out a big fish in March. Don’t you agree?

Foad

« Reply #268 on: November 20, 2019, 11:17:28 AM »
Vermont looks like a team that can take out a big fish in March. Don’t you agree?

I've only seen them play SJ but they appear to be well coached and have a legit star player and their track record suggests that they can play well against superior competition. What I don't think is that how they played against SJ is any sort of reflection of how good or bad SJ is and thinking that it does reeks of desperation.

TONYD3

« Reply #269 on: November 20, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »

Delusional? You thought coach Mullin was doing a good job

Marillac

« Reply #270 on: November 20, 2019, 01:27:43 PM »

He made the NCAA tournament at a garbage program after inheriting a 1-17 caliber roster. We should have built a statue of him.

TONYD3

« Reply #271 on: November 20, 2019, 01:45:45 PM »
He made the NCAA tournament at a garbage program after inheriting a 1-17 caliber roster. We should have built a statue of him.
Below average coaches don’t get statues.
Year 1 starts conference 0-13
Year 3 starts conference to 0-11
Can’t argue with improvement
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:57:57 PM by TONYD3 »

pmg911

« Reply #272 on: November 20, 2019, 02:37:34 PM »
Bad loss but the whole "too lazy" rhetoric on why we didn't get a player here or there needs to stop. Sometimes these players just don't exist especially late.

Agree this was a bad loss...

I am being told on Twitter that saying this game was a bad loss is an "ill informed" opinion - LOL

The team shot 35% from field, 24% from 3pt line and 65% from line.... 2 more made shots, 1 made 3 and a couple of foul shots and St. John's wins the game - not a lot to ask...

They lost because they didn't play well Saturday, not because VT is some mid major super power this year.

If VT is as good as everyone believes, they should roll through their crappy league, be ranked in Top 25 by end of the year and be a lock for NCAA even if they get upset in their Tournament-we shall see.

« Reply #273 on: November 20, 2019, 03:11:58 PM »
st. john's is going to lose to multiple non-NCAA tourney teams this year.  If people are getting this bent out of shape after losing to a decent vermont team, I can't imagine what this place is going to be like after we lose to NIT teams like georgetown and creighton (or, god forbid, butler and depaul).  It's going to happen, so get ready.

This was the last team in the tournament last year, and all we managed to do was lose our best player and another starter (both of whom are in the G league).  How do people expect this team to be cruising through the schedule and knocking off NCAA tournament teams?  They lost to vermont by one shot, the sky isn't falling.

Foad

« Reply #274 on: November 20, 2019, 03:34:57 PM »

Before I risk a reply, is this an example of you getting to me?

Johnny23

« Reply #275 on: November 20, 2019, 03:51:46 PM »
20-52 in conference. Garbage in, garbage out.

TONYD3

« Reply #276 on: November 20, 2019, 03:52:20 PM »
Before I risk a reply, is this an example of you getting to me?
You have nothing to reply. But you will find something. The trap game may have been your most ridiculous attempt yet.
Keep mocking coach third choice. I find it hysterical.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 03:52:49 PM by TONYD3 »

Marillac

« Reply #277 on: November 20, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »
20-52 in conference. Garbage in, garbage out.

How would Anderson have faired those first two years? Nobody could have won with those guys.

People are so ridiculous. Talent obviously plays are huge roll in how a coach does the first two years. Keep your eye on Hoiberg at Nebraska.

Hoiberg was 16-16 and 23-11 his first two years at Iowa State with no experience because he inherited a talented roster. He will lose 20 games at Nebraska this year and that is with nine years of prior head coaching experience and a better roster than Mullin had his first year.

Making the tournament in year four after being awful the first two years should be a positive to anyone who isn’t a nice person or who isn’t blinded by bias.

If Hoiberg gets Nebraska to the tournament by year three or four then he will have earned some serious respect from me regardless of his teams lose 25 games his year and next.

And befor you go caing me a Mullin shill, read how I took him to take prior to year three for not going into the season with a capable backup PG...even one like Malik Boothe. That was inexcusable at a college in NYC. I was livid and predicted 15 wins while everyone else was 20 or more.

Poison

« Reply #278 on: November 20, 2019, 06:57:38 PM »
How would Anderson have faired those first two years? Nobody could have won with those guys.

People are so ridiculous. Talent obviously plays are huge roll in how a coach does the first two years. Keep your eye on Hoiberg at Nebraska.

Hoiberg was 16-16 and 23-11 his first two years at Iowa State with no experience because he inherited a talented roster. He will lose 20 games at Nebraska this year and that is with nine years of prior head coaching experience and a better roster than Mullin had his first year.

Making the tournament in year four after being awful the first two years should be a positive to anyone who isn’t a nice person or who isn’t blinded by bias.

If Hoiberg gets Nebraska to the tournament by year three or four then he will have earned some serious respect from me regardless of his teams lose 25 games his year and next.

And befor you go caing me a Mullin shill, read how I took him to take prior to year three for not going into the season with a capable backup PG...even one like Malik Boothe. That was inexcusable at a college in NYC. I was livid and predicted 15 wins while everyone else was 20 or more.

Mullin’s second year the team could have been much better, but they were missing glue guys. There was zero leadership on the court. That staff did some things well that we were not accustomed to. We could score and we could shoot it, but we needed that undersized PF (Ty Grant) and that lock down on the ball defender (Fordham).

It’s too bad. If they just planned a little better, that team might have made it. Went 7-9 with one front court player in Owens.

TONYD3

« Reply #279 on: November 20, 2019, 07:25:36 PM »

John wooden in his prime with Bobby Knight and Jeff vangundy assisting him would have lost those 2 seasons, BUT
We had a coach. Maybe he needed to go. Firing him THEN was just stupid. He should have finished out his contract. Jordan and obekpa would most likely have given us annoying season. (Yes Jordan would have been eligible). That team finishes around .500. We hire a real coach. Real coach rebuilds team, we never finish in last place. We don’t lose games regularly by 40 points. We don’t play a season like an expansion team without a PG. Nothing anyone says will allow me to believe that disgrace had to happen. If Lavin were given an extension he wouldn’t have been CLOSE to that bad.
Since you live in Florida, I assume you haven’t seen many games in person. Chris mullin was a non participant the first 2 years during games. You can choose to believe that or not. It wasn’t optics.  I know what I saw. It was clear who was coaching the team. Their was little to no talent. But they were terrible. They played fast, they took terrible shots, they played little defense. Those scores would have been considerably worse if the other teams kept playing. Those scores were disgraceful. Saying he was below average is not true. He just stood there. Saying little. Rarely calling timeouts rarely saying anything to his team.

I have posted the same things plenty of times. I saw him as fraud immediately. I started posting that by game 4.

Dave last week finally said that mullin wasn’t involved in the day to day.  Dave isn’t the first person to tell me that.

I am done trying to convince anyone what mullin did or didn’t do. His record speaks for itself. He earned it. He gets and deserves no pass.
I am not a Matt fan. But what would have mullin done without him? Mullin didn’t recruit.  No one on his staff did. What would this season have turned into?

Before you post anything remotely positive about that mans coaching career why don’t you have a conversation with someone who payed attention that you trust, and  that doesn’t get a hard on every time they see Chris mullin.