Game 4: Vermont- Saturday 11/16 4P (Queens)

• 365 replies

Foad

Re: Game 4: Vermont- Saturday 11/16 4P (Queens)
« Reply #280 on: November 20, 2019, 08:17:21 PM »
why don’t you have a conversation with someone who payed attention that you trust, and  that doesn’t get a hard on

Probably you're hoping that talking to Marillac about his blood engorged penis is going to make me jealous, but you're mistaken. You can discuss as many throbbing male organs as you like. I'm impervious to that sort of manipulation.

Marillac

« Reply #281 on: November 20, 2019, 09:18:15 PM »
John wooden in his prime with Bobby Knight and Jeff vangundy assisting him would have lost those 2 seasons, BUT
We had a coach. Maybe he needed to go. Firing him THEN was just stupid. He should have finished out his contract. Jordan and obekpa would most likely have given us annoying season. (Yes Jordan would have been eligible). That team finishes around .500. We hire a real coach. Real coach rebuilds team, we never finish in last place. We don’t lose games regularly by 40 points. We don’t play a season like an expansion team without a PG. Nothing anyone says will allow me to believe that disgrace had to happen. If Lavin were given an extension he wouldn’t have been CLOSE to that bad.
Since you live in Florida, I assume you haven’t seen many games in person. Chris mullin was a non participant the first 2 years during games. You can choose to believe that or not. It wasn’t optics.  I know what I saw. It was clear who was coaching the team. Their was little to no talent. But they were terrible. They played fast, they took terrible shots, they played little defense. Those scores would have been considerably worse if the other teams kept playing. Those scores were disgraceful. Saying he was below average is not true. He just stood there. Saying little. Rarely calling timeouts rarely saying anything to his team.

I have posted the same things plenty of times. I saw him as fraud immediately. I started posting that by game 4.

Dave last week finally said that mullin wasn’t involved in the day to day.  Dave isn’t the first person to tell me that.

I am done trying to convince anyone what mullin did or didn’t do. His record speaks for itself. He earned it. He gets and deserves no pass.
I am not a Matt fan. But what would have mullin done without him? Mullin didn’t recruit.  No one on his staff did. What would this season have turned into?

Before you post anything remotely positive about that mans coaching career why don’t you have a conversation with someone who payed attention that you trust, and  that doesn’t get a hard on every time they see Chris mullin.

Can I make it any clearer that I live in both NY and Florida. Holy crap. I’ve seen them in person, but I learn more about teams watching video.

I wasn’t crazy about Matt. I loved his creativity and hustle in recruiting, but he was a spineless rat who couldn’t evaluate talent to save his life an offered nothing in terms of coaching or player development.

Mullin knew his shortcomings and he hired one of the premier recruiters in the country in Slice and a very nice complement in Matt. If Matt wasn’t a spineless rat who went behind backs to get his shine from local scribes and was a team player we would have been much better off. I also believe if Matt never can here we would have better off.

Slice is revered by everyone. He’s one of two people I’ve ever met that can make everyone in the room feel like they are his close friend. The Incidentally, the other is a former Don Bosco guard I grew up with in my neighborhood who told me that Earlington was a Big East talent.

I have not wanted any coach fired aside from Roberts who was just incompetent in every aspect. I wanted Jarvis retained, Lavin retained, and Mullin retained. I will eventually want Anderson retained when our delusional fans turn on him too.

Here’s what you don’t get:  hiring Mullin was a huge mistake. He had no experience. There were dozens of lessons he had to learn through trial and error like every other coach that hopes to have a long career.

After he was hired he was not bad. We played the best team defense we had since the great Jarvis teams. He’s all moved well and we had some good stuff on offense. What killed him is not having glue guys like Poison posted. That’s the same thing that killed Lavin.

Anderson obviously learned that lesson at some point because the first two played he got was Sears and the freshman true PG. I’d those two played for Lavin or Mullin they’d both still be here.

TONYD3

« Reply #282 on: November 20, 2019, 10:03:46 PM »
If you have watched him in person and liked what you saw I don’t know what to say. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. I was shocked at his behavior. Assistant CYO coaches wives have more passion. 

Never met slice. I sat behind the bench ( basically until I couldn’t take it any more). Whatever that man is he isn’t a coach. Never saw him “coach” at Manhattan, check his record. Hint it kind of sucks.
“Hiring mullin was a mistake” Mullin is a grown man. He shouldn’t have asked for the job. He should have tried and made better decisions. What changes did he make? What improvements in 4 years?
You watched film of that team and learned that they played great team defense- that May be the dumbest thing you posted all week, and that really is saying something
You didn’t mention transfer U, which was absurd. You didn’t mention coach mitch, why was he here? You didn’t mention Greg st. Jean. These are all factors of 20-59. Not bad luck.
Lastly comparing Lavin to mullin is ridiculous. Lavin was 30 games over .500. His players graduated or went to the NBA. No one quit. His staff wasn’t an absolute joke. Tough to have glue guys when 2 guys are sitting out and 3 guys transfer out every season.
You have no argument. He was fired for CAUSE.

« Reply #283 on: November 21, 2019, 12:13:59 AM »
The season was a success because we made it to the play in game. Doesn’t change the fact that we underachieved.
The program hasn't won an Ncaa tournament game in a season starting this millennium. Losing in the Ncaa tournament is not underachievement for us. It's a great year.  We haven't done better than that under several different head coaches in a very, very long time. Just because early and mid-season success gave YOU false visions of grandeur last year, it doesn't change this.

« Reply #284 on: November 21, 2019, 12:20:40 AM »
If VT is as good as everyone believes, they should roll through their crappy league, be ranked in Top 25 by end of the year and be a lock for NCAA even if they get upset in their Tournament-we shall see.
It's a one bid league period. I can't recall an at large bid from the America East ever.

P.S. I resemble..er..resent the remark that it's a crappy league as it contains NY's team - The Albany Great Danes.

SJUFAN

« Reply #285 on: November 21, 2019, 01:51:08 AM »
The program hasn't won an Ncaa tournament game in a season starting this millennium. Losing in the Ncaa tournament is not underachievement for us. It's a great year.  We haven't done better than that under several different head coaches in a very, very long time. Just because early and mid-season success gave YOU false visions of grandeur last year, it doesn't change this.

I didn’t say we had the most talented roster in the BE, I didn’t pick us to finish in 3rd place, BE coaches did. Based on their expert opinion, us finishing in 7th place is a disappointment.

If we were ranked number 1 last year and went undefeated and lost in the 1st round to the 16th seed it wouldn’t have been a disappointment because of our past accomplishments? That’s a losers mentality imo.

Marillac

« Reply #286 on: November 21, 2019, 12:29:35 PM »
I didn’t say we had the most talented roster in the BE, I didn’t pick us to finish in 3rd place, BE coaches did. Based on their expert opinion, us finishing in 7th place is a disappointment.

If we were ranked number 1 last year and went undefeated and lost in the 1st round to the 16th seed it wouldn’t have been a disappointment because of our past accomplishments? That’s a losers mentality imo.

We were one of five teams that made the tournament. After a committee sat down for days and looked at the overall seasons each team had they deemed St. John’s to have the the fifth best in the conference.

You are trying to narrow the scope to just conference play to fit your narrative. St. John’s also lost a few gimmees with Ponds and Heron out. There is almost always little difference between 3 and 7 in the Bi East since the split. It is intellectually dishonest.

We had no backup PG, no capable second ball-handler, and we had the worst frontcourt the Big East has seen in a decade. Knowing now what Heron was last year it is impossible to think we underachieved. If anything we slightly overachieved.

TONYD3

« Reply #287 on: November 21, 2019, 12:33:17 PM »
We were one of five teams that made the tournament. After a committee sat down for days and looked at the overall seasons each team had they deemed St. John’s to have the the fifth best in the conference.

You are trying to narrow the scope to just conference play to fit your narrative. St. John’s also lost a few gimmees with Ponds and Heron out. There is almost always little difference between 3 and 7 in the Bi East since the split. It is intellectually dishonest.

We had no backup PG, no capable second ball-handler, and we had the worst frontcourt the Big East has seen in a decade. Knowing now what Heron was last year it is impossible to think we underachieved. If anything we slightly overachieved.
Legends champs and they fxcking beat bowling green also! What more could you want?

« Reply #288 on: November 21, 2019, 12:33:27 PM »
I didn’t say we had the most talented roster in the BE, I didn’t pick us to finish in 3rd place, BE coaches did.
That's a lie. 

They picked us to finish 4th. Plus who, what and where did big east coaches plural say we were the most talented roster in the BE? And if in fact they did, why did they pick us 4th?

At any rate, if we would have won just one more BE contest, clockgate springs to mind, the season would have been a runaway success on all accounts to you because we would have finished 3rd in conference at 9 -9  opposed to 7th at 8 - 10? Outside of that it's underachievement?
If we were ranked number 1 last year and went undefeated and lost in the 1st round to the 16th seed it wouldn’t have been a disappointment because of our past accomplishments? 
That is ridiculously silly speculation on a St. John's message board.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 12:35:26 PM by carmineabbatiello »

TONYD3

« Reply #289 on: November 21, 2019, 01:32:00 PM »
That's a lie. 

They picked us to finish 4th. Plus who, what and where did big east coaches plural say we were the most talented roster in the BE? And if in fact they did, why did they pick us 4th?

At any rate, if we would have won just one more BE contest, clockgate springs to mind, the season would have been a runaway success on all accounts to you because we would have finished 3rd in conference at 9 -9  opposed to 7th at 8 - 10? Outside of that it's underachievement?That is ridiculously silly speculation on a St. John's message board.
Most talented roster minus the worst coaching staff equals preseason 4th.

« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2019, 02:55:59 PM »
Most talented roster minus the worst coaching staff equals preseason 4th.
You guys should get a kick out of this.  My youngest son hated Mullin as a coach. Like youze guys he's too young to remember him as a player.  Due to this, I've asked him how he plans on paying for college.

« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2019, 05:12:30 PM »
If Heron doesn't hurt his knee does the team finish 7th?

Also, if they get the Seton Hall win they would've been in 4th.

Shamorie broke down towards the end. Guard play was the difference in the season.

Johnny23

« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2019, 05:25:09 PM »

Shamorie broke down towards the end. Guard play was the difference in the season.

The staff not signing one capable big, lack of in-game coaching and adjustments, and many other factors all led to an underachieving season. Injuries and bad calls are part of the game for all teams.

TONYD3

« Reply #293 on: November 21, 2019, 06:20:33 PM »
You guys should get a kick out of this.  My youngest son hated Mullin as a coach. Like youze guys he's too young to remember him as a player.  Due to this, I've asked him how he plans on paying for college.

I became a St. John’s fan because of Chris mullin.

SJUFAN

« Reply #294 on: November 21, 2019, 08:59:09 PM »

What is the excuse for the other 9 league loses?

Let’s stop with the ifs.

Marillac

« Reply #295 on: November 21, 2019, 09:50:27 PM »
What is the excuse for the other 9 league loses?

Let’s stop with the ifs.

Says the mayor of Anderson excuse city.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 09:50:46 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #296 on: November 21, 2019, 10:07:27 PM »
and many other factors all led to an underachieving season.
If we don't make the Ncaa tournament this season - is it an underachieving season?

Johnny23

« Reply #297 on: November 21, 2019, 11:05:50 PM »
If we don't make the Ncaa tournament this season - is it an underachieving season?

I don't think so. We're preseason picked to finish 9th out of 10 teams in conference. Last year we were preseason picked to finish what? 4th? We weren't able to do that.

No coach in his first year of taking over a mediocre to average program like SJU should be expected to do that. If they do then that's a helluva coaching job. I'd be happy with 16-18 wins in Anderson's first season. Next year I'll expect better results out of him.

« Reply #298 on: November 22, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »
Lolol weren't you guy the saying how bad all of Anderson's recruits were this summer when he was trying to fill out the roster and now you say "sometimes these players just don't exist especially late". Good grief

Yes and I offered a handful of guys that were available that were better choices.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

TONYD3

« Reply #299 on: November 22, 2019, 09:11:43 AM »
Yes and I offered a handful of guys that were available that were better choices.
And your telling me 5 years ago their was not 1 pg available? We had to play a season with an 150 pound mussini at PG?