Game 4: Vermont- Saturday 11/16 4P (Queens)

• 365 replies

Marillac

Re: Game 4: Vermont- Saturday 11/16 4P (Queens)
« Reply #320 on: November 22, 2019, 03:49:45 PM »
What is the basis for this?

I think he was really good at evaluating talent. If you want to criticize I think it's fair to say he turned a blind eye on evaluating character or was too much of a risk taker to land top talent.

Malik Ellison was a bust. I was dead wrong on him too. Richard Freudenberg I think would have been better if they would have simply played him and went through some growing pains. Outside of that did we really have any swing and misses over 4 years?

Our roster was put together terribly. We needed a backup PG badly and he couldn’t deliver. How is that possible in NYC? We needed a glue guy PF and they are all over.

Keita was clearly not a Big East caliber player and that was evident instantly.

Matt went after the highest ranked players in the transfer portal. He was good at that, but he offered nothing in terms of basketball knowledge. Zero. You want find a D1 who knows less.

Johnny23

« Reply #321 on: November 22, 2019, 04:04:09 PM »
I agree.  So next year if we don't dance is it an underachieving season?

I don't think so. If LJ doesn't come back then I'd say we probably most likely miss out on the dance as we'll need to establish a new go-to #1 option on the team again. My expectation for Anderson was to get the program on solid footing and be in the tourney by Year 3 when we hired him and I'm sticking to that. I also think Anderson's style will play better in conference and we will be much more competitive there than the 4 year Big East resume of the last coaching staff.

TONYD3

« Reply #322 on: November 22, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »
Our roster was put together terribly. We needed a backup PG badly and he couldn’t deliver. How is that possible in NYC? We needed a glue guy PF and they are all over.

Keita was clearly not a Big East caliber player and that was evident instantly.

Matt went after the highest ranked players in the transfer portal. He was good at that, but he offered nothing in terms of basketball knowledge. Zero. You want find a D1 who knows less.
Agree but, Why is Matt taking heat for this? How come you are blaming him? Who was the head coach? The hero gets no blame. I doubt Matt is doing whatever he feels like at Nebraska.
Under the circumstances Matt was the only one remotely successful at his job. St. Jean tried the hardest but couldn’t do his. Not many 20 somethings could.

Marillac

« Reply #323 on: November 22, 2019, 05:12:44 PM »
Agree but, Why is Matt taking heat for this? How come you are blaming him? Who was the head coach? The hero gets no blame. I doubt Matt is doing whatever he feels like at Nebraska.
Under the circumstances Matt was the only one remotely successful at his job. St. Jean tried the hardest but couldn’t do his. Not many 20 somethings could.

Did Mullin sleep with your gf? Get over it man. Matt was a coaching. DH. He couldn’t field to save his life. He also chased away Slice.

Do you see Matt doing anything other than recruiting for Hoiberg? The model of a coach who delegates to his assistants can work — especially when the head coach is a celebrity.

Matt had many years under his belt and Mullin trusted him to a fault.

Mitch was dead weight. Mullin was too trusting and too loyal in the end.

We improved each season and we made the NCAA tournament. Younaft like we won 8 games in his fourth year. It’s so bizarre and so detached from reality.

« Reply #324 on: November 22, 2019, 06:12:21 PM »
I agree.  So next year if we don't dance is it an underachieving season?
You're a regular riot Carmine! You want others to speculate on an evaluation of a season 2 years in advance when YOU want to wait until a season is over to give your evaluation. Hysterical!

« Reply #325 on: November 22, 2019, 10:50:16 PM »
My expectation for Anderson was to get the program on solid footing and be in the tourney by Year 3 when we hired him and I'm sticking to that. 
Mullin inherited the worst team ever in the history of the program, the only thing close but still better was following the Steel city sexcapade when we started Thrill Hill and a bunch of walkons like Missere and Stanley, and made the tournament in year four.

CFC inherits two second team all conference selections. If it takes him till year 3 to dance it's certainly no better than what the previous staff accomplished. Arguably worse.

« Reply #326 on: November 22, 2019, 10:51:37 PM »
You're a regular riot Carmine! You want others to speculate on an evaluation of a season 2 years in advance when YOU want to wait until a season is over to give your evaluation. Hysterical!
The irony of that is not lost on me.

Poison

« Reply #327 on: November 22, 2019, 11:25:53 PM »
Mullin inherited the worst team ever in the history of the program, the only thing close but still better was following the Steel city sexcapade when we started Thrill Hill and a bunch of walkons like Missere and Stanley, and made the tournament in year four.

CFC inherits two second team all conference selections. If it takes him till year 3 to dance it's certainly no better than what the previous staff accomplished. Arguably worse.

Shortly after Coach Anderson was hired, Sedee Keita, Bryan Trimble and Eli Wright left the program. LJ Figueroa and Mustapha Heron stayed.

When Coach Mullin took over, Brandon Sampson, Samir Doughty, Chris Obekoa and Rysheed Jordan left the program. Christian Jones, Felix Balamou and Amar Alibegovic stayed.

Why haven’t you considered that Coach Mullin himself is the chief reason why players come and go, and they weren’t coming often.

« Reply #328 on: November 23, 2019, 12:15:45 AM »
Shortly after Coach Anderson was hired, Sedee Keita, Bryan Trimble and Eli Wright left the program. LJ Figueroa and Mustapha Heron stayed.

When Coach Mullin took over, Brandon Sampson, Samir Doughty, Chris Obekoa and Rysheed Jordan left the program. Christian Jones, Felix Balamou and Amar Alibegovic stayed.

Why haven’t you considered that Coach Mullin himself is the chief reason why players come and go, and they weren’t coming often.

Rysheed wasn't going to be eligible. He also tried to come back after he left. Obekpa never played another NCAA game after transferring. Both made very questionable decisons in their times at SJU and after. Neither had anything to do with Mullin at that time.

LJ would've been gone if he didn't have to sit out. That I know for a fact. Heron is here for his last yr and moving on. Why would he transfer as a 22 yr old senior? They also both committed to and played for Mullin. So, yeah.

TONYD3

« Reply #329 on: November 23, 2019, 08:48:41 AM »
Did Mullin sleep with your gf? Get over it man. Matt was a coaching. DH. He couldn’t field to save his life. He also chased away Slice.

Do you see Matt doing anything other than recruiting for Hoiberg? The model of a coach who delegates to his assistants can work — especially when the head coach is a celebrity.

Matt had many years under his belt and Mullin trusted him to a fault.

Mitch was dead weight. Mullin was too trusting and too loyal in the end.

We improved each season and we made the NCAA tournament. Younaft like we won 8 games in his fourth year. It’s so bizarre and so detached from reality.
Delegating- Matt you recruit. Greg you coach. Me and Mitch are getting lunch.

20-59. With 40 knockout losses. Improved every year.

Poison

« Reply #330 on: November 23, 2019, 09:18:39 AM »
Rysheed wasn't going to be eligible. He also tried to come back after he left. Obekpa never played another NCAA game after transferring. Both made very questionable decisons in their times at SJU and after. Neither had anything to do with Mullin at that time.

LJ would've been gone if he didn't have to sit out. That I know for a fact. Heron is here for his last yr and moving on. Why would he transfer as a 22 yr old senior? They also both committed to and played for Mullin. So, yeah.

Freudenberg, Lovett, Yakwe, Dixon, Owens. The list continues. The common denominator was Mullin.
They all came to play for him, and for the most part, when they understood what that would be, they left.

TONYD3

« Reply #331 on: November 23, 2019, 11:19:12 AM »
Freudenberg, Lovett, Yakwe, Dixon, Owens. The list continues. The common denominator was Mullin.
They all came to play for him, and for the most part, when they understood what that would be, they left.
#mullinsafraud

« Reply #332 on: November 23, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »

Freudenberg went home to be a "professional".

Lovett was very selfish. At that time he was shining here. His Dad ruined him. We know how that story ends.

Yakwe had a very successful freshman yr under Mullin and then became an albatross. He had no success at UCONN either. They worked on him catching and throwing passes all the time but it didn't click. Frustrating to see how his career went.

Dixon wanted to be a starter and was frustrated with playing time. Sometimes players don't see the bigger picture. He would be a lead guard this yr.

Owens graduated and had options. He wanted to be in a featured role and felt SJU couldn't provide that. He committed to a depleted roster at that time. No one in the nation thought TT was gonna be good. They were picked 7th in the BIG 12. He played great.

We can paint anything anyway to fit a narrative. Players leave programs all the time in college hoops. Is Mullin bulletproot of critcism? Absolutely not. He wasn't into begging guys to stay. He should've worked it out with TO. He had his defencies but brought in talent. Unfortunately he couldn't retain some of them which hurt our chances and led to his demise.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:32:54 AM by Redy2Rumble »

TONYD3

« Reply #333 on: November 23, 2019, 12:39:02 PM »

Freudenberg went home to be a "professional".

Lovett was very selfish. At that time he was shining here. His Dad ruined him. We know how that story ends.

Yakwe had a very successful freshman yr under Mullin and then became an albatross. He had no success at UCONN either. They worked on him catching and throwing passes all the time but it didn't click. Frustrating to see how his career went.

Dixon wanted to be a starter and was frustrated with playing time. Sometimes players don't see the bigger picture. He would be a lead guard this yr.

Owens graduated and had options. He wanted to be in a featured role and felt SJU couldn't provide that. He committed to a depleted roster at that time. No one in the nation thought TT was gonna be good. They were picked 7th in the BIG 12. He played great.

We can paint anything anyway to fit a narrative. Players leave programs all the time in college hoops. Is Mullin bulletproot of critcism? Absolutely not. He wasn't into begging guys to stay. He should've worked it out with TO. He had his defencies but brought in talent. Unfortunately he couldn't retain some of them which hurt our chances and led to his demise.
You could add sima, mussini, Ellison. Quite a list. Mullin was only there 4 years

« Reply #334 on: November 23, 2019, 01:32:58 PM »
You could add sima, mussini, Ellison. Quite a list. Mullin was only there 4 years

Ok and where did they end up and what exactly did they do?

Mussini playing professionally
Sima did absolutely nothing at Ok St.
Ellison transferred from Pitt.

All wanted bigger roles.

TONYD3

« Reply #335 on: November 23, 2019, 01:39:02 PM »
Ok and where did they end up and what exactly did they do?

Mussini playing professionally
Sima did absolutely nothing at Ok St.
Ellison transferred from Pitt.

All wanted bigger roles.
You guys have so many excuses. 20-59. At least he got amar to stay
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 01:41:17 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #336 on: November 23, 2019, 04:47:30 PM »
You guys have so many excuses. 20-59. At least he got amar to stay

These aren't excuses. This is exactly what happened.

Can't wait til you stop eating Anderson's sack and start whining.

Marillac

« Reply #337 on: November 23, 2019, 05:15:29 PM »
These aren't excuses. This is exactly what happened.

Can't wait til you stop eating Anderson's sack and start whining.

He's too stupid to understand context.  It's not worth arguing with him. He is the same guy that posted he lost joy watching this team last year when they were 12-0. 

TONYD3

« Reply #338 on: November 23, 2019, 05:22:38 PM »
He's too stupid to understand context.  It's not worth arguing with him. He is the same guy that posted he lost joy watching this team last year when they were 12-0. 

Bowling green!

« Reply #339 on: November 23, 2019, 09:13:57 PM »

So in all instances when St. John's hires a new coach some players stay and some leave?  I don't get your point.