Is early season lack of attendance concerning?

• 140 replies
Is early season lack of attendance concerning?
« on: November 13, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »
What's the problem? What's the fix? How do we make this better.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Johnny23

Re: Is early season lack of attendance concerning?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 08:53:23 AM »
Winning. No quick fix. Similar to recruiting more highly rated prospects. People will come when they see results.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 09:55:49 AM »
Don't raise ticket prices by >40% after a disappointing season. Win and people will come back.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 11:06:07 AM »
We have an ideal Saturday 400 pm against a quality opponent. Would have been a sell out last season.  If we draw crap again - I would be worried.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 12:44:09 PM »

Yes, the attendance is a concern. Cragg said he wanted to turn this into a world class program and handed the keys to an older gentleman that called the University "St. James" during his first press conference. From a marketing perspective it is concerning. Usually with a new caoch there is a new energy around the fan base.I don't sense that here. The recuiting buzz is minimal. Winning is the only and obvious solution and it has to be quicker than other times.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 01:32:58 PM »
Very predictable when you fire the face of the program and replace him with a guy that recruits no named players with no hype.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 03:45:12 PM »
I've attendant all 4 games,   the attendance is disconcerting to say the least.

Lucky last night if there was 2500 in the stands.     

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 10:49:59 AM »
I think the large increase in season ticket prices has certainly had an impact on paid attendance (although I don't know whether the school's revenue is up or down overall).  The games have also been on the early side against bad teams.  Last year they were undefeated in OOC and were expected to be a solid NCAA tourney team from the start of the season.  This year has much lower expectations given the losses on the roster. 

If they keep winning things will get better attendance wise. I would expect the vermont game to be near capacity at least for tickets sold given that it's an early-ish weekend start against a decent opponent (though clearly not a household name).

Poison

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 12:00:09 PM »
Two things sell tickets.

Before the season, it’s the players. Ponds and Heron sold tickets.

During the season, it’s the winning. If we win Saturday, and then win two the following weekend, we’ll sell tickets. Anything less than 2/3 will kill ticket sales.

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 12:53:59 PM »
So true,   alot of hype last year   Ponds and Heron

I guess fans have to buy in, but then I think sometimes how many students St. Johns has every year and they cannot get a good group to attend

Yes, winning the next two of three a must (especially since Im going to Mohegan)

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 01:07:56 PM »
Somewhat related, but does anyone know the story for tickets for WVU game?  Ticket master lists only a few sets for $80 ea but nothing else for sale. 

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 01:47:26 PM »
Somewhat related, but does anyone know the story for tickets for WVU game?  Ticket master lists only a few sets for $80 ea but nothing else for sale. 

I'm fairly certain the school is up to some shady secondary market manipulation here. If you look at Stubhub there are a ton of full rows of tickets for sale. Like blocks of 10-16 tickets, and plenty of them.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 02:21:31 PM »
Before the season, it’s the players.
And the coach. I believe that having Mullin was a big boost for ticket sales (and probably donations too).  I can't be convinced otherwise.

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 02:23:56 PM »
This year has much lower expectations given the losses on the roster. 
Not to many posters on this board.  To them the season has much higher expectations given the losses on the coaching staff.

Foad

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 03:10:14 PM »
Two things sell tickets.

Is it boobies?

Before the season, it’s the players. Ponds and Heron sold tickets.

During the season, it’s the winning. If we win Saturday, and then win two the following weekend, we’ll sell tickets. Anything less than 2/3 will kill ticket sales.

Oh. Nevermind then.

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 03:14:45 PM »
I use ticpick alot,  they have tickets as low as $57 for the West Virginia game

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 03:26:12 PM »
Of course he was.  He's our favorite son.  He absolutely got fans to show up.  Expectations years 3 and 4 helped too.  We win some games under MA and people will come.

And the coach. I believe that having Mullin was a big boost for ticket sales (and probably donations too).  I can't be convinced otherwise.

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 03:34:25 PM »
I use ticpick alot,  they have tickets as low as $57 for the West Virginia game

Still seems high.  I have a group of 8 going.  I'm gonna send someone to the msg box office next week to see what they have. 

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 03:41:47 PM »
Don’t think they are selling tickets to second level for West Virginia. If bottom sells out they will. Those tickets will be cheaper. Scalpers outside will have those seats. They won’t be expensive

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 03:53:08 PM »
I agree,  $57 still too high for me , was looking to take my kids to that game