Is early season lack of attendance concerning?

• 140 replies

Poison

Re: Is early season lack of attendance concerning?
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2019, 12:22:51 AM »
expectations were super low this season. Last year before the season started a lot of us thought it was our most talented team in many years. Definitely fair to say Mullin helped sales. I heard renewals were a lot lower after the price increase but that was a month or so before the season started so no clue what the final figure was but the price increase while I totally understand was idiotic.

On the brought side we only have like 2 more years of paying Slice so once they put air conditioning in CA I fully expect another 300 people a game

Mullin would be a great mascot.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2019, 01:28:32 AM »
Anybody else see the Twitterverse rumor of CMA leaving SJU after this year and heading to Tulsa?

The rumor has been shot down pretty hard, but it’s interesting that something like this would show up at all.
Cougar O' Malley

goredmen

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2019, 01:36:43 AM »
Anybody else see the Twitterverse rumor of CMA leaving SJU after this year and heading to Tulsa?

The rumor has been shot down pretty hard, but it’s interesting that something like this would show up at all.

That rumor was started by an account that gets more things wrong than Mike Francesa. They spout nonsense like that to drive traffic to their page and it worked on our idiot naive fans.

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2019, 01:36:53 AM »
You are going a little far. Plenty of Mullin’s cupcakes were empty.
No games were empty last year.  Actual Alumni hall attendance is probably down 50% or more thus far.

TONYD3

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »
Mullin would be a great mascot.
We could have WWF matches with him vs heros from other schools on the games he was able to attend. When he is in California (which is most of the time) we could pipe in Fxck you to the referees every 15 or so minutes. A great way to keep everyone happy and improve attendance. 

Johnny23

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2019, 09:17:21 AM »
We could have WWF matches with him vs heros from other schools on the games he was able to attend. When he is in California (which is most of the time) we could pipe in Fxck you to the referees every 15 or so minutes. A great way to keep everyone happy and improve attendance.

I'd quite possibly pay to see him vs Clyde the Glide mascot in a steel cage match of epic alumni fails.

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »

Not the first time it's been brought up.

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2019, 10:53:10 AM »

Would make sense to be back in his backyard and would probably be a pay bump with cheaper cost of living. Wouldn't blame him for listening or taking it.

If it happens I hope it happens immediately after season is over and not dragged out to late summer.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2019, 10:57:24 AM »
Would make sense to be back in his backyard and would probably be a pay bump with cheaper cost of living. Wouldn't blame him for listening or taking it.

If it happens I hope it happens immediately after season is over and not dragged out to late summer.

It would destroy his credibility as a professional. The man has built every program he’s been to, except for Arkansas, which is pretty bad news for CMA, because that’s where he spent the most time.

But if he does leave, they need to open the bank for Tim Cluess - the most underrated coach in the game.

The logic that he can’t coach a high major because his teams don’t D up is massively flawed. The job in the MAAC is to win your conference tournament. That’s the ONLY job. People that think he can’t coach defense or doesn’t believe in defense, are foolish. He builds his teams to achieve the only goal any MAAC team has.

And he’s living legend in that regard. That being what his job is.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:04:27 AM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2019, 11:33:43 AM »
Seems unlikely but hopefully AD Cragg has already reached out to Jeff Capel to get a short list of possible successors, just in case.

TONYD3

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2019, 12:04:15 PM »
Seems unlikely but hopefully AD Cragg has already reached out to Jeff Capel to get a short list of possible successors, just in case.
Why would asking Jeff capel his opinion be viewed as a move to be mocked?

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2019, 12:16:50 PM »
He is not leaving an up and coming big east gig for tulsa.

Marillac

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2019, 07:42:52 PM »
He is not leaving an up and coming big east gig for tulsa.

Typical St. John’s bias there. We have the worst fans in the country...a professional sports town mentality for a meddling college program.

The reality is that Tulsa is not much different than SJU in terms of basketball in 2019-2020. They are are in the AAC like UConn. They just beat Vanderbilt in the road by double-digits Saturday. They made the Elite Eight in 2000 and won a game in the tournament in 2003. They been to the dance twice since 2014.

TONYD3

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2019, 07:48:14 PM »
Typical St. John’s bias there. We have the worst fans in the country...a professional sports town mentality for a meddling college program.

The reality is that Tulsa is not much different than SJU in terms of basketball in 2019-2020. They are are in the AAC like UConn. They just beat Vanderbilt in the road by double-digits Saturday. They made the Elite Eight in 2000 and won a game in the tournament in 2003. They been to the dance twice since 2014.

Only saying that because your hero got shit canned!

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2019, 07:58:35 PM »

Its Tulsa dude.  Have you lost your mind?  Comparing tulsa basketball to st johns is ridiculous. 

TONYD3

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2019, 08:00:44 PM »
Its Tulsa dude.  Have you lost your mind?  Comparing tulsa basketball to st johns is ridiculous. 
The professor watches game film. I think he knows what he is talking about.

Poison

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2019, 08:02:16 PM »

It seems to me that hiring coaches is not something the people at St.John’s should be trusted with yet again. They’re pretty awful at it.

I think after the Mullin hire, it’s fair to ask them never to weigh in again.

Don’t you agree?

Marillac

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2019, 12:12:32 AM »
Only saying that because your hero got shit canned!

My first memories of St. John’s basketball were a decade after Mullin last played. Your stupidity forces you to reduce everything down to a dichotomy to comprehend.

Mullin bad. Marillac love Mullin. Mullin no win championship. Tony D hate Mullin. 12-0 St. John’s no make Tony D happy.

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »

So heritage and history mean nothing. Take a peek at their facilities in comparison to ours...

https://tulsahurricane.com/sports/2015/6/9/facilities.aspx

My guess is salary would probably be around 1.3 - 1.5 mil which is probably on par with what St. John's is paying him
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 08:44:28 AM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2019, 09:15:45 AM »
It seems to me that hiring coaches is not something the people at St.John’s should be trusted with yet again. They’re pretty awful at it.

I think after the Mullin hire, it’s fair to ask them never to weigh in again.

Don’t you agree?

Having been turned down by his top two choices and with various mid major coaches preemptively begging not to be offered the job our alleged big time AD in a panic calls a former player of his former boss begging for help in finding anyone - anyone - to take the job.

Makes the alleged big time AD look like a bit of a small time putz.

Don't you agree?