Is early season lack of attendance concerning?

• 140 replies

Foad

Re: Is early season lack of attendance concerning?
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2019, 12:28:29 PM »
We’re better than this.

No they're not.

cjfish

« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2019, 01:03:51 PM »
Mullin was better than Norm Roberts. Come on people. We’re better than this. Neither were the answer, but Mullin gave us moments.

Norm took everything from the program. When it needed him to rebuild it, he made it worse. He stood in the way of his own team’s success by burying Hardy and Brownlee on the bench.

Like most of us I thought Mullin was going to be the savior but after year 3 I changed my mind. Given the talent in year 4 I rank that year as the worst ever and attribute it to Mullin and his staff

« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2019, 03:05:08 PM »
The Roberts years were worse on paper but I would have to agree because Mullin brought lofty expectations.
What possible lofty expectations could be brought by a gentlemen that had never coached a day in his life inheriting the worse team in the history of the program?

« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2019, 03:05:52 PM »
Saturday's crowd was encouraging, we gained some steam in awareness. 
How many?

Marillac

« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2019, 03:14:52 PM »

Like most of us I thought Mullin was going to be the savior but after year 3 I changed my mind. Given the talent in year 4 I rank that year as the worst ever and attribute it to Mullin and his staff

The talent? We had one kid who could handle the basketball and that was also our best scorer. We
Had arguably the worst front court the Big East has seen this century and certainly the worst in the conference last year.

It’s not fair to blame a new coach for your unrealistic expectations.

Norm Roberts had both head coaching experience and many years as an assistant. He was horrific. Norm is largely to blame for the the permanent dramage this program took. You can recover from a scandal or even a murder like Baylor on a few years, but you can’t come back from irrelevance without a borderline miracle.

TONYD3

« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2019, 03:37:58 PM »
Coach melon should have been honest with himself and realized that he wasn’t up for the job. But since he took it. His first step should have been to move to NY. Coaching at this level is a 12 month job.
Step 2- hire are real staff. Not a staff that will do all the work for you. An experienced staff that complements each other. A staff that that the novice could have learned from but also a staff where Chris mullin the hero could have had a significant role.
Step 3- actually be Chris mullin. Get out and recruit. Go to all the games. Build relationships with Aau teams and HS coaches.
Step 4- Work hard- have a plan. Build a culture. Recruit players that fit your plan and culture.
Step 5 evaluate what was working and what didn’t. Fix mistakes

That’s a simple outline. Greg Schiano at Rutgers came in with a binder that was over a 100 pages thick. He had a scouting report on every Rutgers player. He was already building relationships with local coaches. Basically he has a plan and he is going to work like hell.
Coach melons brought in Mitch Richmond, Matt, and his neighbors son. Their was never a plan.
Mullin is either really dumb, incredibly arrogant, or he just didn’t give a fxck and stole 10 million dollars.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 03:48:27 PM by TONYD3 »

TONYD3

« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2019, 04:01:12 PM »
How many?
I wasn’t at the game. From TV their didn’t seem to be many in second level. Crappy attendance, just like you knew it would be.

cjfish

« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2019, 04:24:52 PM »
The talent? We had one kid who could handle the basketball and that was also our best scorer. We
Had arguably the worst front court the Big East has seen this century and certainly the worst in the conference last year.

It’s not fair to blame a new coach for your unrealistic expectations.

Norm Roberts had both head coaching experience and many years as an assistant. He was horrific. Norm is largely to blame for the the permanent dramage this program took. You can recover from a scandal or even a murder like Baylor on a few years, but you can’t come back from irrelevance without a borderline miracle.

Seems to me the talent last year was expected to be at the top of the conference preseason, not under 500.

HKD

« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2019, 04:40:04 PM »
How many?

About 7k, and 3k or close were WVU fans.  It was fun atmosphere but it was a pretty empty building.

Bottom bowl was pretty full

Could not get image small enough to upload.. so here is what it looked like before final possession.

https://imgur.com/YYgkMKz
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 04:40:23 PM by HKD »

« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2019, 04:51:28 PM »

About 7k, and 3k or close were WVU fans.  It was fun atmosphere but it was a pretty empty building.

Bottom bowl was pretty full

Could not get image small enough to upload.. so here is what it looked like before final possession.

https://imgur.com/YYgkMKz
Thanks.  Very kind of you. The picture looks like a bigger crowd than we've been bringing out at Alumni.

HKD

« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
Thanks.  Very kind of you. The picture looks like a bigger crowd than we've been bringing out at Alumni.

It was a lot more lively than the Knicks game 7 hours later with more people  :).

TONYD3

« Reply #131 on: December 09, 2019, 05:19:08 PM »
Are you going tomorrow? I am not. I am done going these cupcake games. I dont care who the coach is. They have to make the experience more appealing.

Marillac

« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2019, 07:23:29 PM »

Seems to me the talent last year was expected to be at the top of the conference preseason, not under 500.

Everyone expected Heron to be a killer. He hasn’t been that guy for us. He seems like a system player to me and he needs structure. He’s the kind of kid that excels at Virginia or Butler. I think most of us expected Dixon to not be a complete liability defensively and for Keita to be somewhat competent. That wasn’t the case. I think Dixon still had a lot to offer offensively.

Those fall on the staff no question. The talent evaluaton was not good. I have no clue how they could have watched Rasheem Dunn play with Ponds and not offer him and then not get him as a transfer two years ago over Dixon. I was impressed with Dunn from the minute I first saw him in high school. 

I just don’t get how any coach could lose because they fail to have a capable PG and a glue guy PF or center, but that cost our last two coaches their jobs.

Anderson seems to be very different in that regard and that could be what makes him stick.

Marillac

« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2019, 07:24:04 PM »
Are you going tomorrow? I am not. I am done going these cupcake games. I dont care who the coach is. They have to make the experience more appealing.

We need as many of these games as possible this year.

« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2019, 12:29:47 AM »
It was a lot more lively than the Knicks game 7 hours later with more people  :).
Not surprised. Nba basketball is horrific and unwatchable. College basketball is the bomb.

« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2019, 12:30:44 AM »
I will not correspond with anybody that doesn't even have the decency to spell the name of our one and only legend correctly.

« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2019, 08:05:13 AM »
Get your tickets now for Butler on NYE.  Alumni is going to be crazy for that one.  Butler may be a top 10 team by then.

Poison

« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2019, 08:36:39 AM »
Not surprised. Nba basketball is horrific and unwatchable. College basketball is the bomb.

The Knicks are horrific. That doesn’t make everyone else horrific.

HKD

« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2019, 08:57:16 AM »

Even the horrific Knicks are still playing a different sport than college basketball.  I love both.

« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2019, 11:13:33 AM »
I just don't like Nba up and down no defense style. Also, the 82 game schedule ensures that they're just going through the motions most games.