St Johns vs Arizona St - 11/23

• 152 replies

TONYD3

Re: St Johns vs Arizona St - 11/23
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2019, 04:53:34 PM »
After the first five minutes ASU outscored SJ 74-49. That's all coaching baby! Thank goodness for CTC.
Congrats old man. When your happy i am happy.

ras

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2019, 04:53:52 PM »
Can’t blame MA for this. We really don’t have the horses and Heron was a no show. When Roberts accumulates fouls and has to sit we are exposed inside. I think Steere will solve that problem. If Heron can’t get out of his funk ,it’s going to be a long year. On a positive note ,have to be happy w Roberts and champagne.

cjfish

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2019, 04:54:23 PM »
A good first half and then an inexplicable second.  Heron was awful all game.. If he doesn't wake up this is going to be a horrid season.  Defense fell apart in the 2nd half, how can you be up 9 at the half and wind up down 15.  Plenty of blame to go around but most of the blame goes to Heron on both ends.  Soft ineffective press in the second.  Love Champagnie and Duke and Dunn looks like he will be effective.  Rutherford has to play no more than 10 minutes, gotta start Dunn.   

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »
As a hog fan i watched this tyoe stuff many times, i always made excuses thinking when had better players things would get much better, but Mikes teams were never top caliber at Arkansas an he never put together a complete team, he may  here , and if so could be hard to beat, but for now same as razorback yrs.

What's crazy to me is how we don't have any clue on inbounds plays.  It doesn't matter where we inbound on the court or what the situation is, there is no coordination.  It's literally just one guy inbounding and four guys trying to get open individually.  With 2.8 seconds remaining down one shot against Vermont we had no play.  How the f is that possible?!  Every coach in the country has a play for that situation.

Foad

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2019, 04:54:37 PM »
Bobby Hurley ran a clinic. Let that sink in.

Especially because we dodged a bullet when Hurley said "forks up," because he stinks.

TONYD3

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2019, 04:56:51 PM »
What's crazy to me is how we don't have any clue on inbounds plays.  It doesn't matter where we inbound on the court or what the situation is, there is no coordination.  It's literally just one guy inbounding and four guys trying to get open individually.  With 2.8 seconds remaining down one shot against Vermont we had no play.  How the f is that possible?!  Every coach in the country has a play for that situation.
That was pretty bad

Foad

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2019, 04:56:59 PM »
Congrats old man. When your happy i am happy.

And if and when you ever spell you're correctly I'll be happy, so there's that.

Marillac

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2019, 05:00:56 PM »
Can’t blame MA for this. We really don’t have the horses and Heron was a no show. When Roberts accumulates fouls and has to sit we are exposed inside. I think Steere will solve that problem. If Heron can’t get out of his funk ,it’s going to be a long year. On a positive note ,have to be happy w Roberts and champagne.

We don't have the horses?  We have two players the Big East deemed as second team all conference.  Champagnie scored 15 and looked awesome.  Earlington was throwing people around.  Roberts and Dunn were the best athletes in the game.  We were the more athletic team.  We were the bigger team too.

This was about coaching.  Hurley made the adjustments down 9.  Why isn't Figueroa bringing the ball up more?  Why are we not cutting and moving the ball inside-out?  That's coaching. 

Anderson isnt a savior.  He was fired 7 months ago for a reason. 

Marillac

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2019, 05:03:26 PM »
Heron sucked.  That's not why we got blown out. ASU's best player, Rob Edwards, sucked too.  And their third best scorer didn't even play.  It's going to be a long season. 

Over/Under on the www.FireAnderson.com website is 3 years.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:04:14 PM by Marillac »

Marillac

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2019, 05:11:12 PM »
At least Anderson let us know early that we shouldn't get our hopes up.  Look at the bright side...March is wide open for vacations the next two years.

goredmen

« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2019, 05:11:40 PM »
Not that it matters much in the big picture of things, but it's far from certain that we get out of here with a split tomorrow. UMass has actually been playing well and we'll only end up about 5-6 point favorites is my guess.

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2019, 05:13:03 PM »
The minute Repole open Pandora’s box we should’ve cancelled the program. I knew what Cragg dealt with. The program is a joke Norm use to cry to Fratto that I asked difficult questions at SNY. I don’t want hear about winning the press conference. WE HAVEN’T BEEN TO A FINAL FOUR SINCE 1985!!

goredmen

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2019, 05:25:46 PM »
I don't find +/- as all that useful of a stat in basketball but do find it interesting that Caraher was a -16 in his 10 mins played while nobody else was worse than -8.

« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2019, 05:27:32 PM »
Heron sucked.  That's not why we got blown out. ASU's best player, Rob Edwards, sucked too.  And their third best scorer didn't even play.  It's going to be a long season. 

Over/Under on the www.FireAnderson.com website is 3 years.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but Heron stinking is at least 95% of the reason we were blown out. You need him to stop the other teams’ runs with a bucket or two. He’s given us nothing this year when it’s been needed. Vermont included. The rest of the team had to cover his ass all game long.

I hope he turns it around, I’m rooting for him.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:28:43 PM by Gee Whiz »

Marillac

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2019, 05:32:54 PM »
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but Heron stinking is at least 95% of the reason we were blown out. You need him to stop the other teams’ runs with a bucket or two. He’s given us nothing this year when it’s been needed. Vermont included. The rest of the team had to cover his ass all game long.

We have no offense. Heron can’t create on his own. We all saw that last year. He’s a very good set shooter. He can post up. He can pull-up. But he needs space for all of that  and he won’t get any from Anderson a coach. We just don’t anything that resembles a decent half court offense. McDermott would get him space.

« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2019, 06:24:41 PM »
I didnt get to see the game but getting updates on the 1st was so encoraging.

Heron again.  Just unbelieveable.  These disappearing acts are far too common.

Caraher being a huge minus is not surprising.  He cant guard anyone at this level. 

« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2019, 07:18:55 PM »

I hope he turns it around, I’m rooting for him.

They didn't run one set to get Heron going. Everything on the offensive end was transiton or a turnover. That's what was discouraging.  They needed to put Heron in the post and let him get some shots without the dribble drive or a contested three. 

The D was frustrating. Dunn got toasted by Martin on 5 consecutive possessions for 11 points. Anderson did not call a timeout or switch defenders on him. That changed the game.

« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2019, 09:37:41 PM »
- Remy Martin is better than Courvoisier.

- We really came out sharp. Great start. Perhaps we shouldn't have had LJ and Heron off the court at the same time.  Seemed to turn things.

- Good job by you guys turning out.  A lot more red than gold in the stands.

- Gil Scott doesn't play well against the Scum Devils.

- So much for half time adjustments. 5 pt halftime lead against Vermont - 9 pt. against ASU.

- Too bad we didn't hire Coach first choice Hurley.  He's killing us.

- So the worst coach in the history of the universe loses to the Scum Devils by 9 on a neutral court. The greatest coach since Calhoun loses to the Scum Devils by 13 on a less than neutral court. What exactly has been gained?  Attendance is in the toilet and just took a big hit. Early returns are not good.

- At least they'll be plenty of cheap tix on Stubhub.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:38:49 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Poison

« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2019, 10:48:29 PM »
- Remy Martin is better than Courvoisier.

- We really came out sharp. Great start. Perhaps we shouldn't have had LJ and Heron off the court at the same time.  Seemed to turn things.

- Good job by you guys turning out.  A lot more red than gold in the stands.

- Gil Scott doesn't play well against the Scum Devils.

- So much for half time adjustments. 5 pt halftime lead against Vermont - 9 pt. against ASU.

- Too bad we didn't hire Coach first choice Hurley.  He's killing us.

- So the worst coach in the history of the universe loses to the Scum Devils by 9 on a neutral court. The greatest coach since Calhoun loses to the Scum Devils by 13 on a less than neutral court. What exactly has been gained?  Attendance is in the toilet and just took a big hit. Early returns are not good.

- At least they'll be plenty of cheap tix on Stubhub.

Mikey Dixon would have really helped this team.

Part of what we all hope Coach Anderson brings to our program is the continuity that we haven’t had.

In order to have that, you can’t bury guys on the bench.

FWIW, I rank the worst coaches in history as such:

1.Mahoney
2.Roberts
3.Mullin

« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2019, 11:14:11 PM »
Didn't get to watch tonight's game but reading over some of your posts.

-Heron having another poor game is troubling. While I'm of the school that blames player there was a large group that would blame previous coaching staffs citing poor player development and/or players regressing. Haven't seen anyone point this out yet.

- The +/- metric is really one of the worst in basketball. If I played with MJ/Lebron/Curry/Shaq my +/- would probably be way in the + but if I played with Marillac/Baldi/GoRedman/Carmine my +/- would probably be way in the -

While there is some merit it ultimately shouldn't be looked at to determine player's value on the court. This is why PER is a much more sought after metric in the NBA.

-Another 2nd half collapse is discouraging. While we were notoriously slow starters under Mullin we bounced back in the 2nd half. Need to turn this around quick.

-Champagnie is playing well above expectations. Need to give credit where credit is due here. Him being a full time 4 and him buying in is big.

-Steere can't come soon enough. He'll really help this team out.

-Rutherford stinks. Need to figure out how to limit his time on the floor.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle