St John vs UMass - 11/24

• 74 replies
Re: St John vs UMass - 11/24
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2019, 12:40:44 PM »
Heron ain't Gil Scott. He's Alpha Bangura.
He's now been an all conference selection and a pre-season all conference selection in different conferences.  Nothing short of catastrophic injury can keep him out of the lineup. The team will go as far as he and Ed can take them and everybody knows it. A couple of early non-conference clunkers don't change that.

Poison

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2019, 01:51:04 PM »
He's now been an all conference selection and a pre-season all conference selection in different conferences.  Nothing short of catastrophic injury can keep him out of the lineup. The team will go as far as he and Ed can take them and everybody knows it. A couple of early non-conference clunkers don't change that.

I hope you’re right. I like him. I like the kid. He’s a hard worker, and it seems like he’s a great teammate, too.

But he’s not playing the same team game that everyone else is. I don’t think it’s because Heron is selfish. He puts his head down and commits to scoring with no regard for whether or not it’s the right play to make. Can Coach Anderson correct this? If Williams improves, and he could, it will cut into Heron’s minutes. As it stands now, it’s not a problem, because Heron is in foul trouble every game.

Look at how well Earlington, Williams, Champagnie, Roberts, Caraher and I wouldn’t call out LJ’s light scoring as such a negative because he helps the team in so many ways.

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2019, 02:28:16 PM »
I hope you’re right. I like him. I like the kid. He’s a hard worker, and it seems like he’s a great teammate, too.

But he’s not playing the same team game that everyone else is. I don’t think it’s because Heron is selfish. He puts his head down and commits to scoring with no regard for whether or not it’s the right play to make. Can Coach Anderson correct this? If Williams improves, and he could, it will cut into Heron’s minutes. As it stands now, it’s not a problem, because Heron is in foul trouble every game.

Look at how well Earlington, Williams, Champagnie, Roberts, Caraher and I wouldn’t call out LJ’s light scoring as such a negative because he helps the team in so many ways.

Agree with everything you said. When Heron is on he’s as good a scorer as pretty much anyone in the BE. When he’s not scoring he does little to nothing else.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2019, 03:09:01 PM »
Sample size

In its last six games SJ has shot from the FT line

That's not a sample size issue slingblade, that's a pattern of bad free throw shooting.

Last year LJF shot 62 percent from the FT line, this year he's shooting 59 percent. Also a pattern.

You posting stupid things using words you can't spell or don't understand while shitting on the train and not washing your hands afterwards, also a pattern.

Sample size on the other hand would be, say eg that instead of your parents living in NY they'd lived in eugenics-loving Vermont and after you were born it was suggested that they be sterilized because they'd given birth to a baby with an IQ a standard deviation below average. It turns out that would have been a precipitous, because the odds would have been very high that their next child would have been closer to average intelligence. Here's the formula for sample size, where P represents your IQ (85), N the number of offspring, and Z and E the confidence score and margin of error respectively

Sample Size = [z2 * p(1-p)] / e2 / 1 + [z2 * p(1-p)] / e2 * N] = [(.95)2 * 85(1-85)] / (05)2 / 1 + [(.95)2 * 85(1-85)] / .(.05) 2 * N] = which demonstrates pretty conclusively that the more children your parents had the more likely it would have been that they'd have given birth to a child of average intelligence, that is, that they'd have progressed toward the mean. Do the math yourself if you don't believe me.

Marillac

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2019, 03:30:47 PM »
Agree with everything you said. When Heron is on he’s as good a scorer as pretty much anyone in the BE. When he’s not scoring he does little to nothing else.

Heron wouldn’t have these duds if he played for a coach that could get him space. He is a player that thrives in structure. Unfortunately, his last two coaches didn’t have much if any.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 03:31:18 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2019, 04:02:23 PM »
Heron wouldn’t have these duds if he played for a coach that could get him space. He is a player that thrives in structure. Unfortunately, his last two coaches didn’t have much if any.

Sorry not buying it. Last year all we heard was it was ponds fault. If there’s not space to drive then have a little bit of offensive awe’s was and how bout don’t drive. It’s also possible to move the ball without shot faking and jab stepping every time.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 04:03:18 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

Johnny23

« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2019, 04:06:29 PM »

Weak sauce. Last year it was the players not stepping up and now it's the coaches? Cmon man at least be consistent.

John Wooden ain't breaking Heron out of his slump. This is a mental lapse as much as it is his playing ability. He needs to snap out of it and soon for this team to get to that next level.

TONYD3

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2019, 04:07:44 PM »
He has had plenty of looks. What kind of offense did Bruce pearl run at auburn?

Poison

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2019, 07:25:56 PM »
He has had plenty of looks. What kind of offense did Bruce pearl run at auburn?

It’s true that the offense is unbalanced, and the spacing has been awful. There’s a lot left to learn, but that’s not hurting other players like it’s apparently hurting Heron. Missing shots from all over. Contested shots and wide open ones. He’s forcing offense, and he’s not looking for his teammates.

I hope he turns it around, but if this is the guy, his minutes will be cut. The team deserves to have team first starters.

Marillac

« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2019, 08:00:12 PM »
Weak sauce. Last year it was the players not stepping up and now it's the coaches? Cmon man at least be consistent.

John Wooden ain't breaking Heron out of his slump. This is a mental lapse as much as it is his playing ability. He needs to snap out of it and soon for this team to get to that next level.

Those weren’t my excuses so why are you bringing them up?

He was a two-time SEC second team selection so apparently he can play much better than he had here.

He’s not much of a creator. He depends on schemes and teammates to get him looks. Plenty of really good players in this league were the same. How many points would Kellen Dunham have scored here? Not a lot.

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2019, 06:36:09 AM »
He’s not much of a creator. He depends on schemes and teammates to get him looks.

All he wants to do is go one on one. Every wide open shot turns into a pump fake/jab step fest as he invites a defender to come out and play him. Stop making it seem like the kid doesn't get good looks from his teammates. This is a mental thing. When he isn't hitting shots he feels like he has to get to the rim, and he's not a great finisher there. I hope he starts trusting his shot again, soon. When he does, he will be far more effective.

Johnny23

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2019, 08:16:01 AM »
Those weren’t my excuses so why are you bringing them up?

He was a two-time SEC second team selection so apparently he can play much better than he had here.

He’s not much of a creator. He depends on schemes and teammates to get him looks. Plenty of really good players in this league were the same. How many points would Kellen Dunham have scored here? Not a lot.

He can play much better and that's mostly on him. He's gotten plenty of good looks and has done very little with those for several games now. He needs to get his head out of his ass, refocus and start playing like we all know he can.

Marillac

« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2019, 09:23:13 PM »
All he wants to do is go one on one. Every wide open shot turns into a pump fake/jab step fest as he invites a defender to come out and play him. Stop making it seem like the kid doesn't get good looks from his teammates. This is a mental thing. When he isn't hitting shots he feels like he has to get to the rim, and he's not a great finisher there. I hope he starts trusting his shot again, soon. When he does, he will be far more effective.

Because he’s played for two straight coaches who don’t have much offensive structure. He’s a system player.

Amari Cooper just had zero catches. How does that happen? It’s all coaching. It’s up to the coach to have plays for his key players in a funk. We can’t beat good teams without Figgy and Heron both on their game.

It’s already clear he isn’t close to that type of coach. He can still be good here if he gets players. He’s impressed me by going with Roberts and Earlington and how he’s used Champagnie.

We’ve got some good pieces for next season , but I’m ready to call it for this version now.

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2019, 09:54:31 PM »
Because he’s played for two straight coaches who don’t have much offensive structure. He’s a system player.

Amari Cooper just had zero catches. How does that happen? It’s all coaching. It’s up to the coach to have plays for his key players in a funk. We can’t beat good teams without Figgy and Heron both on their game.

It’s already clear he isn’t close to that type of coach. He can still be good here if he gets players. He’s impressed me by going with Roberts and Earlington and how he’s used Champagnie.

We’ve got some good pieces for next season , but I’m ready to call it for this version now.

If you can watch the second half of umass again, Watch Caraher without the ball and tell me what’s stoping heron from doing the same.

« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2019, 12:14:42 AM »
I think they're misusing Heron. He should be on the blocks. He has good instincts down low and has some nice post moves. He also will draw the double and he has good court vision. They need to limit his face up, dribble, and force. I'm not sure yet but his offseason weight loss may have affected his strength.