West Virginia Game Discussion

• 286 replies
Re: West Virginia Game Discussion
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2019, 07:41:07 PM »
The Mullin stuff is really annoying around here.  Best player in SJU history.  An absolutely awful head coach. 

You really cant even consider him a head coach cause half the time he didnt even speak in the timeouts.  He was tying his shoes while the young guy coached.

Watching mullin coach was an embarrassment.  Hed be the first one to tell you he wasnt any good.

Anyways, big game tomorrow.  We can beat wvu.  There press is tough but if u beat it you can get alot of easy buckets on the other end.

Cant wait for noon tomorrow.

TONYD3

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2019, 08:01:08 PM »
I don't have to imagine Coach Mullin playing in the old big east stupid. He played in the old big east and was three times BE player of the year.

I expect you were trying to make a different point but being a completely stupid illiterate nice person you were unable to express it coherently. Feel free to try again. 
Sorry old timer wasn’t talking about that big east. When he actually played I was barely in school.
What I meant,  imagine lazy Chris mullin having to coach against the teams norm Roberts had to compete with? He could be winless!

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2019, 08:15:02 PM »
Calling TonyD3 a stupid illiterate nice person is an insult to stupid illiterate nice persons.

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2019, 09:10:44 PM »
Their is no board carmine. What is their 10 people left? Your boy killed it. Imagine if lazy ass came back, would we even have full roster. Like Matt or hate him he was the only one recruiting. Our only recruit never even spoke to anyone else from the staff.
What were the chances that coach Mullin  would make a good hire replacing Matt,  so another person could try and do his job for him.
Just answer the question. Like I did your question with a simple "no" the other day.

If plenty of people grew tired of his act, why was he selling out Alumni hall on a regular basis and drawing big crowds at wmf arena up to and including his last ever game in the BE tournament?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:19:27 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Foad

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2019, 09:11:21 PM »
wasn’t talking about that big east

Sorry stupid. So when you said "Imagine if coach mullin had to play in the old big east" you weren't talking about "that big east" you were talking about some other "that big east." My mistake, hmm mmm.

Foad

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2019, 09:12:06 PM »
Calling TonyD3 a stupid illiterate nice person is an insult to stupid illiterate nice persons.

At the risk of piling on, +1

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2019, 09:15:04 PM »
Its hard to say but in my heart if Mullin was coach this year I believe Justin Simon stays and so does Mack and this team is top 5 in conference.
Obviously.  He was a novice coach learning and improving everyday.  His record getting better each and every year proves it unequivocally.

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2019, 10:27:18 PM »
Do you actually believe the shit you write? Humor us, what signs did he show? Since when is a coaches win/lose record not a reasonable measure of success? Last time I looked Mullin had a conference record of 20-52, thats a 38% winning percentage...that is horrible.
Check your math. That's a winning percentage of .277

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2019, 11:17:45 PM »
The Mullin stuff is really annoying around here.  Best player in SJU history.  An absolutely awful head coach. 

You really cant even consider him a head coach cause half the time he didnt even speak in the timeouts.  He was tying his shoes while the young guy coached.

Watching mullin coach was an embarrassment.  Hed be the first one to tell you he wasnt any good.

Anyways, big game tomorrow.  We can beat wvu.  There press is tough but if u beat it you can get alot of easy buckets on the other end.

Cant wait for noon tomorrow.

I don't think he was awful. He had his flaws some of which were correctable but I think he was improving in a lot of areas. Some small staff cleanups would have helped too.

Its very hard to learn on the job in the Big East but when St. John's hired Mullin they needed to make a commitment to knowing that learning curve would come with growing pains.

They pulled the plug too soon and should have done more to make it work. The reset of the deck every 4-5 years is like groundhog's day
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

TONYD3

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2019, 11:28:15 PM »
Just answer the question. Like I did your question with a simple "no" the other day.

If plenty of people grew tired of his act, why was he selling out Alumni hall on a regular basis and drawing big crowds at wmf arena up to and including his last ever game in the BE tournament?

Answered it already. Fans came to see Chris mullin and a championship team. If that was playing tomorrow at noon that would sell out the garden.

TONYD3

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2019, 11:34:39 PM »
I don't think he was awful. He had his flaws some of which were correctable but I think he was improving in a lot of areas. Some small staff cleanups would have helped too.

Its very hard to learn on the job in the Big East but when St. John's hired Mullin they needed to make a commitment to knowing that learning curve would come with growing pains.

They pulled the plug too soon and should have done more to make it work. The reset of the deck every 4-5 years is like groundhog's day
Last week you said he wasn’t involved in the day to day. Entering year 5 with less then a 30 percent winning percentage and 0 recruits and 0 coaches actively recruiting you think he would have turned it around. Makes sense

Poison

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2019, 11:35:50 PM »

St.John’s believed that Mullin didn’t need to learn anything because he was a basketball savant.

TONYD3

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2019, 11:39:57 PM »
Sorry stupid. So when you said "Imagine if coach mullin had to play in the old big east" you weren't talking about "that big east" you were talking about some other "that big east." My mistake, hmm mmm.
Sorry, I am sure you remember bill wennington as a great player. I remember him as that crappy center on the bulls. I am a Patrick Ewing fan.
Long day my friend. Thanks for the laughs.

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2019, 12:03:34 AM »
Why would Simon have stayed given his age and professional aspirations?  If he did, it seems Heron was likely a goner.

As for Mack, why would he still have come if Matt was in his ear before the season ended -- likely well before the season ended -- to join him in Nebraska with Hoiberg?

Its hard to say but in my heart if Mullin was coach this year I believe Justin Simon stays and so does Mack and this team is top 5 in conference.

Poison

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2019, 12:12:11 AM »
Why would Simon have stayed given his age and professional aspirations?  If he did, it seems Heron was likely a goner.

As for Mack, why would he still have come if Matt was in his ear before the season ended -- likely well before the season ended -- to join him in Nebraska with Hoiberg?

It looks like Mack made a big mistake. We have our issues, but Nebraska is awful at everything.

Often these kids just leave because the coach does. Mack’s terrible judgement should be used in recruiting our own players. He plays for the worst high major in the nation. His game reminds me of Nurideen Lindsay.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 12:27:43 AM by Poison »

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2019, 12:59:27 AM »
Bad attendance.

Zero press.

Mediocre recruting.

Get used to it.

Marillac

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2019, 04:19:24 AM »
Why not?
You’ve said how much better we are 2-5 this year.

You said how important 2 all BE upperclassmen are.

You said we are deeper and more experienced.

You said Anderson is 2 games better than mullin with equal rosters.

You’ve pleaded forever to have our guys go after the offensive glass and 9 games in we have the most in the #$%^in country. So why aren’t you excited?

I also am Mr. PG. I think Anderson is too. We have an undersized SF who can slash in Dunn and pile of dog sh*t in Rutherford. This is precisely why I predicted 7 and 4 for McGriff, who I actually like.

I do think we are better 2-5. But last year’s one was an all-time great.

Marillac

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2019, 04:35:14 AM »
Do you actually believe the shit you write? Humor us, what signs did he show? Since when is a coaches win/lose record not a reasonable measure of success? Last time I looked Mullin had a conference record of 20-52, thats a 38% winning percentage...that is horrible.

Are you Tony D stupid? It seriously pains me to respond to you nice persons.

You just wrote “Humor us, what signs did he he show” and “Since when is a coaches win/loss record not a reasonable record of success.”  By your own goddamn choice of measurement Mullin improved each year.

8-24 year 1
14-19 year 2
16-17 year 3
21-13 and an NCAA berth in year 4

He didn’t go backwards a single year. If overall record is to be used afainst a coach then who the hell would ever take over a mess like what Mullin inherited year one? Hoiberg is a great illustration of why context matters. He walked into a great situation at Iowa State and did well inmediately with no experience.  With years of coaching experience under his belt his team sucks at Nebraska this year. Is he any less of a coach if he loses 24 games this year?

If you want more signs that Mullin was learning outside of objective measures, he stopped recruiting international players, he was looking into changing his staff, he was going after more physically stronger players (Earlington and Steere), etc.

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2019, 09:21:21 AM »
Are you Tony D stupid? It seriously pains me to respond to you nice persons.

You just wrote “Humor us, what signs did he he show” and “Since when is a coaches win/loss record not a reasonable record of success.”  By your own goddamn choice of measurement Mullin improved each year.

8-24 year 1
14-19 year 2
16-17 year 3
21-13 and an NCAA berth in year 4

He didn’t go backwards a single year. If overall record is to be used afainst a coach then who the hell would ever take over a mess like what Mullin inherited year one? Hoiberg is a great illustration of why context matters. He walked into a great situation at Iowa State and did well inmediately with no experience.  With years of coaching experience under his belt his team sucks at Nebraska this year. Is he any less of a coach if he loses 24 games this year?

If you want more signs that Mullin was learning outside of objective measures, he stopped recruiting international players, he was looking into changing his staff, he was going after more physically stronger players (Earlington and Steere), etc.

Come on dude.  St johns record got better under mullin but that was because the talent was getting better and guys like ponds stuck around for 3 years.  You can win games with good talent and bad coaching.  It happens all the time.

Even Mullin would tell you he wasnt a good coach.  Y do u think he was letting st jean run the timeouts?  Could you imagine a duke game where coach k is tying his shoes and john schyer is running the timeouts?

Teams with talent can win games.  It doesnt necessarily mean the coaching is good.

Regardles, we have a big game today.  Lets stop discussing last years coach and get juiced for tipoff.

HKD

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2019, 09:31:16 AM »
Come on dude.  St johns record got better under mullin but that was because the talent was getting better and guys like ponds stuck around for 3 years.  You can win games with good talent and bad coaching.  It happens all the time.

Even Mullin would tell you he wasnt a good coach.  Y do u think he was letting st jean run the timeouts?  Could you imagine a duke game where coach k is tying his shoes and john schyer is running the timeouts?

Teams with talent can win games.  It doesnt necessarily mean the coaching is good.

Regardles, we have a big game today.  Lets stop discussing last years coach and get juiced for tipoff.

Agree with this. I love Mullin, but his in game coaching left a lot to be desired. It also depends on what you see as the program’s ceiling.

I am ready for today. Will be heading over for a pre game drink soon.