West Virginia Game Discussion

• 286 replies
Re: West Virginia Game Discussion
« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2019, 02:42:00 PM »
If we have any shot at the tourney this year, a win like this is big.  Its a resume builder.

Marillac

« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2019, 02:42:27 PM »
I agree it's disappointing we only scored 70 against one of the best pressing teams in the country with an SF playing PG. Also Heron was 2-12 and LJ didn't score a point in the 2nd half. Only winning by 2 is embarassing

Awwwee someone is butt hurt.

One of the best pressing teams in the country after 8 games huh?

Marillac

« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2019, 02:42:58 PM »
If we have any shot at the tourney this year, a win like this is big.  Its a resume builder.

I’ll save you some time...we don’t.

ras

« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2019, 02:44:12 PM »
Figgy was great in first half. Heron underachieving. We played hard and got nice contributions from Earlington,Dunn and Williams. Not a fan of milking the clock that early, forces bad shots at the end of the shot clock and allows opposing team to get back in the game. Nice W. Like the fact that MA is developing his bench. That was Mullins mistake last year. Need to account for fouls ,injuries and breathers. By giving the bench players time during the patsies, they won’t look like deers looking into headlight agaist the better competition. No shot at NCAA , but would be happy if we can sneak into the NIT. That said , if Heron can get his groove back, Steere works out, and our players improve, who knows
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 02:46:34 PM by ras »

goredmen

« Reply #204 on: December 07, 2019, 02:46:46 PM »
Awwwee someone is butt hurt.

One of the best pressing teams in the country after 8 games huh?

Actually about after 8 years, nice try though.

Marillac

« Reply #205 on: December 07, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »
Lol man you can’t even try. You gave them 17 points.

I haven’t seen them play. They aren’t as good as they’ve been in the past, but Huggy’s teams usually get better. I could see them ending up on the bubble.

However, any win against a program like WV is a big time win. The worst WV teams are capable of beating any Big East team on any given day.

I like the offensive rebounding. I like the easy points we get from having more skilled forwards. I look forward to next season with Posh and McGriff showing off pure PG skill sets. Heron looks a lot easier to replace than expected too.

The only thing that will stop Dunn next year whe he’s guarded by 2’s and 3’s will be Dunn himself. That is pretty true this year. He’s in my top three athletes over the last 20 years with Dom and Ced.

« Reply #206 on: December 07, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »
Figgy was great in first half. Heron underachieving. We played hard and got nice contributions from Earlington,Dunn and Williams. Not a fan of milking the clock that early, forces bad shots at the end of the shot clock and allows opposing team to get back in the game. Nice W. Like the fact that MA is developing his bench. That was Mullins mistake last year. Need to account for fouls ,injuries and breathers. By giving the bench players time during the patsies, they won’t look like deers looking into headlight agaist the better competition. No shot at NCAA , but would be happy if we can sneak into the NIT. That said , if Heron can get his groove back, Steere works out, and our players improve, who knows

I totally disagree.  This team has a very good chance of getting in the ncaa tourney.  We can finish anywhere btwn 5-6th the big east and i think 6 teams are getting in this year.

Get on the bus boys!!  Its leaving for the ncaa tourney.  Dont be left behind.

Marillac

« Reply #207 on: December 07, 2019, 02:57:39 PM »
Nebraska looks awful. Creighton was picked at the bottom of the conference and they are beating them 32-7 with the ball.

« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2019, 02:59:20 PM »
I haven’t seen them play. They aren’t as good as they’ve been in the past, but Huggy’s teams usually get better. I could see them ending up on the bubble.

However, any win against a program like WV is a big time win. The worst WV teams are capable of beating any Big East team on any given day.

I like the offensive rebounding. I like the easy points we get from having more skilled forwards. I look forward to next season with Posh and McGriff showing off pure PG skill sets. Heron looks a lot easier to replace than expected too.

The only thing that will stop Dunn next year whe he’s guarded by 2’s and 3’s will be Dunn himself. That is pretty true this year. He’s in my top three athletes over the last 20 years with Dom and Ced.

There it is. Thank you. Now tell me would Dunn be too tall to play running back?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #209 on: December 07, 2019, 03:01:14 PM »
I totally disagree.  This team has a very good chance of getting in the ncaa tourney.  We can finish anywhere btwn 5-6th the big east and i think 6 teams are getting in this year.

I don’t see it unless McGriff somehow comes back in late January from his shoulder surgery. PG play is too deficient to win games consistently in conference play.

I think we will fair better against front court heavy teams, but good guards will hurt us.

Marillac

« Reply #210 on: December 07, 2019, 03:04:46 PM »
There it is. Thank you. Now tell me would Dunn be too tall to play running back?

That’s where I like my dumptrucks like Posh and McGriff. Low center of gravity. Play low. Ball on a string.

cjfish

« Reply #211 on: December 07, 2019, 03:15:46 PM »

Too early to think about the NCAAs.  The only potential loss left before conference is Arizona but watch out for Albany, good coach.  I love the depth development and think this team can only improve.  Further depth development and time playing together may put them in the middle of the pack and a potential bid.  PG is an issue and could be exposed, only 9 assists today.   Rebounding incredible, -2 against a team of beasts.  As long as they play as a team PG concerns may not be fatal.  Many others get assists, particularly Fig.  Im optimistic but I always am.  Loved the pressure and Defense.

« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2019, 03:23:08 PM »
12:00 tip was our best friend. Early sluggish start time helped us win ugly. Really good team win though a lot of guys played meaningful minutes and had hustle plays. We played harder and that's really what it came down to.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2019, 03:31:33 PM »
This team won't be near the NCAA Tournament discussion but this was a very encouraging win. Heron 2-12, LJ no points in the 2nd half, Champagnie 1-9, Dunn 3-9 and the team 2-17 from 3 and still managed to beat a team that is much bigger and better than us inside. I didn't think we had a chance to keep up with them inside without Steere.

Were able to pull it off by rebounding with them, forcing a ton of turnovers and going 22-27 from the line. Neither team played well necessarily but both teams were getting after it on both ends. We also don't win this one without Williams giving us some solid minutes.

Marillac

« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2019, 03:33:39 PM »
12:00 tip was our best friend. Early sluggish start time helped us win ugly. Really good team win though a lot of guys played meaningful minutes and had hustle plays. We played harder and that's really what it came down to.

Hahaha that’s a stretch. C’mon!

WV let it get ugly against a team with better athletes. They should have slowed it down and made it a complete half court match.

We’re a weird team for opponents with strong big men. Nobody we face will be stronger than Earlington all year. And Sears and Champagnie are not that far behind. Add in Steere and it’s the complete opposite of the kind of team we’ve been under Lavin and Mullin. And the pace of play kills opposing bigs.

Marillac

« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2019, 03:36:46 PM »
This team won't be near the NCAA Tournament discussion but this was a very encouraging win. Heron 2-12, LJ no points in the 2nd half, Champagnie 1-9, Dunn 3-9 and the team 2-17 from 3 and still managed to beat a team that is much bigger and better than us inside. I didn't think we had a chance to keep up with them inside without Steere.

Were able to pull it off by rebounding with them, forcing a ton of turnovers and going 22-27 from the line. Neither team played well necessarily but both teams were getting after it on both ends. We also don't win this one without Williams giving us some solid minutes.

3-9 from Dunn is what you will see from him most nights. He’s a low % scorer. Nobody can defend him, though, and a huge % of his misses are prime offensive rebounding opportunities.

« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2019, 03:40:49 PM »
Get your tickets now for butler/johnnies on new years eve.  Butler could be ranked in the top 10 by then.

Not often you get to see an opponent of that caliber in carnesseca for $40 a ticket.

The place is going to be rockin.  What a way to ring in the new year!

« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2019, 03:41:21 PM »
Nice gritty and grimey win.

Dunn has cojones and the kids fought hard.

I did not love how Anderson coached the last few minutes. We don't look good on inbounds plays and coming out of timeouts on our sets.

It can't be denied though that Anderson is getting good effort out of these guys and building character.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 03:42:30 PM by Redy2Rumble »

cjfish

« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »

Lack of production by 4 of  our top 6 (Fig 2nd half only) and coming away with a win is impressive.  Would love to see +- stat for Earlington, think its a big +.  Id give better than even odds that we make the tournament.  I love Dunn's quickness but he must give it up more.  By February Williams may be better, looked good today.   

Marillac

« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2019, 03:51:13 PM »
Nice gritty and grimey win.

Dunn has cojones and the kids fought hard.

I did not love how Anderson coached the last few minutes. We don't look good on inbounds plays and coming out of timeouts on our sets.

It can't be denied though that Anderson is getting good effort out of these guys and building character.

It seems pretty clear that we aren’t going to be a team that wins games from in-game coaching or half court execution. That will be frustrating at times.

The flip side is that we will be a team that attacks the offensive glass and teams that do that tend to have good things happen at the end of games and usually win close contests in March. You just can’t keep Roberts and Earlington off the glass.