West Virginia Game Discussion

• 286 replies
Re: West Virginia Game Discussion
« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2019, 03:51:55 PM »
Nice gritty and grimey win.

Dunn has cojones and the kids fought hard.

I did not love how Anderson coached the last few minutes. We don't look good on inbounds plays and coming out of timeouts on our sets.

It can't be denied though that Anderson is getting good effort out of these guys and building character.

They bled the clock and that caused the offense to stall.  We ned to have a better plan then everyone stand around and then go w/ 5 seconds left on the shot clock.

We dont have a good enough one on one player to do that.

goredmen

« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2019, 03:55:41 PM »
Id give better than even odds that we make the tournament.

You'd be out of business quickly if you were a bookie.

Marillac

« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »
They bled the clock and that caused the offense to stall.  We ned to have a better plan then everyone stand around and then go w/ 5 seconds left on the shot clock.

We dont have a good enough one on one player to do that.

If I was an opposing coach, Dunn would be a nightmare to see with the ball in a tie game and the shot clock off. You know that wild man will get an open look...even if it is at 100 mph.

« Reply #223 on: December 07, 2019, 04:01:30 PM »
If I was an opposing coach, Dunn would be a nightmare to see with the ball in a tie game and the shot clock off. You know that wild man will get an open look...even if it is at 100 mph.

When he checked in in the 1st half, he had a couple nice dishes off drives to the hoop.  As the game went on, he got tunnell vision and stopped distributing.  Now sometimes that was great but when it wasnt, it was a disaster.

Id like to see down distribute a little more because he has shownat times he can really pass the ball and get guys easy shots.

ras

« Reply #224 on: December 07, 2019, 04:12:58 PM »
Rutherford had a Dom Pointer game. 11 point 4 rebounds 4 assists, 5 steals. Nice team effort, especially considering we didn’t get much from Heron and Figgy the second half.

« Reply #225 on: December 07, 2019, 04:19:48 PM »
Nova struggling with st joes.  We have no shot at the tourney this year my ass.  Its wide open and if we can come together as a team we can get in.

Poison

« Reply #226 on: December 07, 2019, 04:20:31 PM »
Very lucky to come away with this one. Rutherford was terrific today. He should have played every minute for the final 5 minutes. Dunn almost gave them the game.

Johnny23

« Reply #227 on: December 07, 2019, 04:21:49 PM »
The second unit/bench guys really saved us today. They not only kept the lead but widened it when LJ went out with about 14 min to play and didn't return about 6 min mark. Huge team effort. Williams, Rutherford and others all stepped up big today.

Marillac

« Reply #228 on: December 07, 2019, 04:26:07 PM »
I know it’s just Nebraska, but Creighton looks great. They look like a tournament team. It’s been an offensive clinic in this one 93-63.

I’m glad we don’t have Cam Mack. He’s had some pretty drives, but doesn’t play a lick of defense and he’s shooting around 50% from the line and 28% from three. He’ll be 22 by the end of the school year too. The Creighton PG Zigarowski just left for the game with almost 4 minutes left and 30 points.

goredmen

« Reply #229 on: December 07, 2019, 04:29:26 PM »
Nova struggling with st joes.  We have no shot at the tourney this year my ass.  Its wide open and if we can come together as a team we can get in.

Pretty wild how one decent win makes everybody lose all rational thinking around here. Beating WVU at home is good but it's not a stop the presses type win. They aren't a top 25 team.

It is exponentially more likely that we finish under .500 than we make the tournament. We are absolutely not finishing in the top half of the Big East this year. There is very little chance we avoid Wednesday night of the BET this year.

Villanova, Butler, SHU, Xavier, Marquette and DePaul are undeniably much better than us. Creighton and Georgetown might not be much better but still better. It's close with Providence. Even going 7-11 in the BE this year would be fairly surprising.

cjfish

« Reply #230 on: December 07, 2019, 04:33:50 PM »
You'd be out of business quickly if you were a bookie.

You are probably right, Im an incurable optimist.  However, I just finished analyzing the performances of the Big East to date.  I know they all play local cupcakes like us but there are very few impressive wins by anyone, though the Hall had some impressive losses against top teams.  Everyone looks beatable.  Numerous teams have close games against cupcakes which we do not, with the possible exception of Vermont who I do not consider easy.    I see us beating Georgetown and Providence twice and managing 5-6 wins elsewhere. 10-3 going into conference and winning 9 marginal, 10 would do it.That would
 translate into a bid. And Arizona is beatable, record to date has no impressive wins and only a 2 point win over Pepperdine (which is awful).  (PS first time I've actually done some research since joining the site, this teams's potential has be excited and their Fun to watch)

goredmen

« Reply #231 on: December 07, 2019, 04:40:57 PM »
You are probably right, Im an incurable optimist.  However, I just finished analyzing the performances of the Big East to date.  I know they all play local cupcakes like us but there are very few impressive wins by anyone, though the Hall had some impressive losses against top teams.  Everyone looks beatable.  Numerous teams have close games against cupcakes which we do not, with the possible exception of Vermont who I do not consider easy.    I see us beating Georgetown and Providence twice and managing 5-6 wins elsewhere. 10-3 going into conference and winning 9 marginal, 10 would do it.That would
 translate into a bid. And Arizona is beatable, record to date has no impressive wins and only a 2 point win over Pepperdine (which is awful).  (PS first time I've actually done some research since joining the site, this teams's potential has be excited and their Fun to watch)

I'm just trying to help you not be incredibly disappointed come February when we are 4-8 in conference. Everybody is beatable and we might steal a couple but won't be consistent enough to pull out 9 wins.

The middle of the Big East has racked up plenty of wins already that are better than WVU at home. Georgetown has neutral over Texas and @ Oklahoma State. Creighton has a neutral over Texas Tech. DePaul has @Iowa, @Minnesota and home to Texas Tech. Marquette has a home over Purdue and neutral vs USC.

« Reply #232 on: December 07, 2019, 05:12:38 PM »
[quote
Villanova, Butler, SHU, Xavier, Marquette and DePaul[/quote]

Ill give you nova, butler and SH, but Im not convinced marquette, depaul or xavier are better..
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 05:19:24 PM by Mullins Revenge »

goredmen

« Reply #233 on: December 07, 2019, 05:24:51 PM »
[quote
Villanova, Butler, SHU, Xavier, Marquette and DePaul

Ill give you nova, butler and SH, but Im not convinced marquette, depaul or xavier are better..

::)

« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2019, 05:51:57 PM »
Congrats to Mike an the team. Big win today. 

cjfish

« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2019, 07:49:10 PM »
I'm just trying to help you not be incredibly disappointed come February when we are 4-8 in conference. Everybody is beatable and we might steal a couple but won't be consistent enough to pull out 9 wins.

The middle of the Big East has racked up plenty of wins already that are better than WVU at home. Georgetown has neutral over Texas and @ Oklahoma State. Creighton has a neutral over Texas Tech. DePaul has @Iowa, @Minnesota and home to Texas Tech. Marquette has a home over Purdue and neutral vs USC.

Georgetown scandal will ruin them. Providence sucks. No one stands out. Nova not great. Our D will create havoc. 5-9 after those 4 wins should be a definite, better is possible. Team is in shape, rebounding and hustling,  Not like the last four years. Consistent D is a winning formula

TONYD3

« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2019, 08:38:46 PM »
Congrats to Mike an the team. Big win today. 
Yes it was. This team is right on the bubble. Anyone who says different hasn’t watched the other big east teams.

wpc77

« Reply #237 on: December 07, 2019, 09:27:25 PM »
Yes it was. This team is right on the bubble. Anyone who says different hasn’t watched the other big east teams.

Still way to early to say that.  Need to see how Steere fits into the rotation, have guys continue to grow in year 1 of the program, and get Heron's head on straight.  Check in again 8 games into the big east schedule, right before we play Nova at home to finish off January

« Reply #238 on: December 07, 2019, 09:27:35 PM »

Correct.  No one is guaranteeing an ncca berth.  Its probably unlikely.  But in no way shape or form is it impossible.

goredmen

« Reply #239 on: December 07, 2019, 09:27:50 PM »

You guys are completely delusional