Re: West Virginia Game Discussion
« Reply #240 on: December 07, 2019, 09:38:26 PM »
You guys are completely delusional
No we just watch college basketball.

goredmen

« Reply #241 on: December 07, 2019, 09:46:58 PM »
No we just watch college basketball.

Apparently not. We have one okay win. Beating a non-top 25 team at home doesn't put you on the bubble when you have a home loss to Vermont and a neutral loss to Arizona State and literally zero other wins that are worth anything.

You guys are setting yourselves up to be massively disappointed. Be happy if we find a way to sneak into the NIT

TONYD3

« Reply #242 on: December 07, 2019, 09:56:28 PM »
Apparently not. We have one okay win. Beating a non-top 25 team at home doesn't put you on the bubble when you have a home loss to Vermont and a neutral loss to Arizona State and literally zero other wins that are worth anything.

You guys are setting yourselves up to be massively disappointed. Be happy if we find a way to sneak into the NIT
Bubble is big. If we go over .500 in conference we get in. I don’t think we get there. But we could

goredmen

« Reply #243 on: December 07, 2019, 10:03:52 PM »
Bubble is big. If we go over .500 in conference we get in. I don’t think we get there. But we could

Yeah, the problem is this way closer to a 6-12 team than a 10-8 team.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #244 on: December 07, 2019, 10:09:13 PM »

Everyone feels really good after a solid win. Wishful thinking is that this is a springboard to a surprising and fun season.

Pessimism can wait for another day.

Reality is hopefully more optimist than pessimistic, but only time will tell.
Cougar O' Malley

goredmen

« Reply #245 on: December 07, 2019, 10:23:24 PM »
Everyone feels really good after a solid win. Wishful thinking is that this is a springboard to a surprising and fun season.

Pessimism can wait for another day.

Reality is hopefully more optimist than pessimistic, but only time will tell.

Just trying to keep everybody's expectations based in reality around here. I'm old enough to remember when everybody was freaking out and trashing this team because we gave up a 19-2 run to St. Peter's and got outscored by them in the 2nd half. Everybody was wrong to jump to the conclusion that this team is awful because of that, and everybody is wrong to think that this is suddenly an NCAA Tournament team because we beat a good but far from great WVU team by 2 at home.

The reality is we're not as bad as the version that gave up a 19-2 run to a MAAC team and we're not as good as the version that beat WVU. We're somewhere in the middle.

For the rest of the OOC, we should handle Brown but our chances of beating Arizona = our chances of losing to Albany. Both of those point spreads will be in the 9-12 point range.

As for the BE, I'd be pleasantly surprised with a 7-11 record. I see 5-4 at home and 2-7 on the road as pretty reasonable. We'll be pretty heavy road dogs in every game so stealing more than 2 doesn't seem like a fair expectation.

« Reply #246 on: December 07, 2019, 10:32:12 PM »
Just trying to keep everybody's expectations based in reality around here. I'm old enough to remember when everybody was freaking out and trashing this team because we gave up a 19-2 run to St. Peter's and got outscored by them in the 2nd half. Everybody was wrong to jump to the conclusion that this team is awful because of that, and everybody is wrong to think that this is suddenly an NCAA Tournament team because we beat a good but far from great WVU team by 2 at home.

The reality is we're not as bad as the version that gave up a 19-2 run to a MAAC team and we're not as good as the version that beat WVU. We're somewhere in the middle.

For the rest of the OOC, we should handle Brown but our chances of beating Arizona = our chances of losing to Albany. Both of those point spreads will be in the 9-12 point range.

As for the BE, I'd be pleasantly surprised with a 7-11 record. I see 5-4 at home and 2-7 on the road as pretty reasonable. We'll be pretty heavy road dogs in every game so stealing more than 2 doesn't seem like a fair expectation.

Pleasantly surprised but pretty reasonable?

7-11 is a pretty fair guess in my mind. Id be more surprised by 5-13 than 9-9. I don’t think we played anywhere near our best ball today. I’m not worried about us suddenly forgetting how to play defense. On the other hand I think our offense could get much better.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #247 on: December 07, 2019, 10:34:20 PM »
Yeah, the problem is this way closer to a 6-12 team than a 10-8 team.

Who pissed in your cereal? You’re probably right but if you can’t hope for the positive, why bother rooting and posting?

goredmen

« Reply #248 on: December 07, 2019, 10:40:18 PM »
Who pissed in your cereal? You’re probably right but if you can’t hope for the positive, why bother rooting and posting?

I'm hoping to be wrong. I hope this team goes 10-8 and finds their way on to the bubble. But I don't expect it. Those that are expecting that are likely to be very disappointed like I was at the conclusion of last season.

TONYD3

« Reply #249 on: December 07, 2019, 10:48:26 PM »
I'm hoping to be wrong. I hope this team goes 10-8 and finds their way on to the bubble. But I don't expect it. Those that are expecting that are likely to be very disappointed like I was at the conclusion of last season.
I expect us to have a season record wise very much like last season. It’s just going to feel a lot better.

« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2019, 10:50:16 PM »
Pretty wild how one decent win makes everybody lose all rational thinking around here. Beating WVU at home is good but it's not a stop the presses type win. They aren't a top 25 team.

It is exponentially more likely that we finish under .500 than we make the tournament. We are absolutely not finishing in the top half of the Big East this year. There is very little chance we avoid Wednesday night of the BET this year.

Villanova, Butler, SHU, Xavier, Marquette and DePaul are undeniably much better than us. Creighton and Georgetown might not be much better but still better. It's close with Providence. Even going 7-11 in the BE this year would be fairly surprising.

We have a punchers chance to beat anyone in conference. I think today's win proved that.

Now do I think we get Herculean efforts out of Rutherford night in and night out. I do not but I also think Heron hits his stride eventually and it levels out.

Steere is gonna be a great shot in the arm.

However with all that said we still might be 9-10th in conference. I think it's going to be similar to last year where difference between 3rd and 7th is a win.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #251 on: December 07, 2019, 11:05:55 PM »
We have a punchers chance to beat anyone in conference. I think today's win proved that.

Now do I think we get Herculean efforts out of Rutherford night in and night out. I do not but I also think Heron hits his stride eventually and it levels out.

Steere is gonna be a great shot in the arm.

However with all that said we still might be 9-10th in conference. I think it's going to be similar to last year where difference between 3rd and 7th is a win.

Agree. Pretty much any power conference team can beat another power conference team on any given night. We have a puncher's chance to beat anybody in the Big East so we may win @Villanova or @SHU or @Xavier but I don't see us being consistent enough to avoid having to play on Wednesday night again.

Providence is the only team in the conference I think we're actually better than. A few days ago I thought we had a chance to be better than GTown also if the wheels fell off for them but it seems like the opposite has happened as they won @OkSt and are crushing SMU on the road since the defections. I just don't see 4 teams we are better than to finish 6th.

Poison

« Reply #252 on: December 07, 2019, 11:29:37 PM »

Agree. Pretty much any power conference team can beat another power conference team on any given night. We have a puncher's chance to beat anybody in the Big East so we may win @Villanova or @SHU or @Xavier but I don't see us being consistent enough to avoid having to play on Wednesday night again.

Providence is the only team in the conference I think we're actually better than. A few days ago I thought we had a chance to be better than GTown also if the wheels fell off for them but it seems like the opposite has happened as they won @OkSt and are crushing SMU on the road since the defections. I just don't see 4 teams we are better than to finish 6th.

Outside of maybe Butler, who is better than us? I don’t see another team that’s even good. Our resume or Xavier’s? Same difference.

goredmen

« Reply #253 on: December 07, 2019, 11:58:15 PM »
Outside of maybe Butler, who is better than us? I don’t see another team that’s even good. Our resume or Xavier’s? Same difference.

Uhhh, you aren't serious are you? We won one game at home by 2 against a team that isn't in the top 25 and suddenly we're in the conversation for being the 2nd best team in the conference? Did our home to loss to Vermont and loss to ASU in CT just disappear?

Villanova doesn't have any big time wins yet but their win on a neutral court of Mississippi State is better than a home win over WVU. They are miles better than us.

SHU neutral over ISU > home vs WVU. They too are miles and miles better than us.

Xavier has wins over Missouri, Yukon and Cincinnati with their only loss being to Florida. Not only are they just a far better team than us, they have a far better resume already.

DePaul has 3 wins that are clearly better than our best win.

Georgetown has 2 wins that are clearly better than our best win.

Creighton's win over Texas Tech is better than our best win.

So yeah, literally every team outside Providence has a better resume than us right now.

Marillac

« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2019, 12:45:01 AM »

This is pure delusion. Look at if from the other direction, who are we better than? You could make the the case that we aren’t better than anyone if DePaul is going to be good with Charlie Moore.

6-7 conference wins is the over/under. How many teams will play us as ugly as WV/how many teams can we make it ugly against? We have the worst PG situation in the conference even if our front court has been a pleasant surprise.

If we had Posh or McGriff it’s a different story.

Poison

« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2019, 01:13:12 AM »
Uhhh, you aren't serious are you? We won one game at home by 2 against a team that isn't in the top 25 and suddenly we're in the conversation for being the 2nd best team in the conference? Did our home to loss to Vermont and loss to ASU in CT just disappear?

Villanova doesn't have any big time wins yet but their win on a neutral court of Mississippi State is better than a home win over WVU. They are miles better than us.

SHU neutral over ISU > home vs WVU. They too are miles and miles better than us.

Xavier has wins over Missouri, Yukon and Cincinnati with their only loss being to Florida. Not only are they just a far better team than us, they have a far better resume already.

DePaul has 3 wins that are clearly better than our best win.

Georgetown has 2 wins that are clearly better than our best win.

Creighton's win over Texas Tech is better than our best win.

So yeah, literally every team outside Providence has a better resume than us right now.

Georgetown lost to UNC Greensboro.
They do not have a better resume than we do.

Xavier didn’t beat UConn. That’s a pretty bad loss.

Texas Tech is garbage. They have more losses than we do.

« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2019, 01:21:47 AM »
It seems pretty clear that we aren’t going to be a team that wins games from in-game coaching or half court execution. That will be frustrating at times.

The flip side is that we will be a team that attacks the offensive glass and teams that do that tend to have good things happen at the end of games and usually win close contests in March. You just can’t keep Roberts and Earlington off the glass.
Jarvis :)

« Reply #257 on: December 08, 2019, 01:23:00 AM »
we finish 6th

goredmen

« Reply #258 on: December 08, 2019, 01:32:26 AM »
Georgetown lost to UNC Greensboro.
They do not have a better resume than we do.

Xavier didn’t beat UConn. That’s a pretty bad loss.

Texas Tech is garbage. They have more losses than we do.

Legitimate insanity

« Reply #259 on: December 08, 2019, 02:14:18 AM »
I agree it's disappointing we only scored 70 against one of the best pressing teams in the country with an SF playing PG. Also Heron was 2-12 and LJ didn't score a point in the 2nd half. Only winning by 2 is embarassing

😁😁