West Virginia Game Discussion

• 286 replies
Re: West Virginia Game Discussion
« Reply #260 on: December 08, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »
I’ll save you some time...we don’t.
Wouldn’t say that too fast, I’ve watched Anderson’s teams for a while and they always get better by the end of the year, and they haven’t started out with a “horrible loss” and have another big man coming that will take the pressure off of Roberts. Just gotta go 9-9 in conf or 10-8 somehow. Find a way to win all home games.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 09:37:17 AM by BannerMountainMan »

Poison

« Reply #261 on: December 08, 2019, 10:06:29 AM »
Legitimate insanity

The BE has one ranked team. I agree with the insane writers, but carry on.

Edit: maybe Seton Hall and Nova are ranked, but they shouldn’t be. Both are one and done, if that. No reason why we can’t beat them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:15:39 AM by Poison »

Dan

« Reply #262 on: December 08, 2019, 11:34:23 AM »
The tournament talk is insane.  BE looks soft this year but part of that is that st. johns also isnt very good. They could finish 6th or 7th but that probably wouldnt be enough with the conference being what it is this year. We also have to remember this is their only solid win so far. They have no true bad losses but nothing really impressive.  Realistically, this team is probably going to go 6-12 or 7-11 in conference.  That's not going to cut it.

Poison

« Reply #263 on: December 08, 2019, 11:51:59 AM »
The tournament talk is insane.  BE looks soft this year but part of that is that st. johns also isnt very good. They could finish 6th or 7th but that probably wouldnt be enough with the conference being what it is this year. We also have to remember this is their only solid win so far. They have no true bad losses but nothing really impressive.  Realistically, this team is probably going to go 6-12 or 7-11 in conference.  That's not going to cut it.

The tournament talk is exactly why this coach is here. If he doesn’t make the tournament, the season is a failure.

It’s long past time to stop accepting a rebuild when there is no reason to ever accept it.

goredmen

« Reply #264 on: December 08, 2019, 12:03:38 PM »

Edit: maybe Seton Hall and Nova are ranked, but they shouldn’t be. Both are one and done, if that. No reason why we can’t beat them.

There are 5 Big East teams in the KenPom top 30 and that doesn't include 9-0 DePaul.

Yes, we can beat Villanova and Seton Hall but we won't have a better record than either of them at the end of the BE season unless all of their best players get hurt. That is a fact.

It's unfortunate that you will be calling for Anderson's firing at the end of this season because this team is nowhere near the NCAA Tournament.

Dan

« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2019, 12:26:04 PM »
The tournament talk is exactly why this coach is here. If he doesn’t make the tournament, the season is a failure.

It’s long past time to stop accepting a rebuild when there is no reason to ever accept it.

I wouldn't call a first season reduction in expectations, "accepting a rebuild".  If year two leads to the same result, count me in on your logic.

Poison

« Reply #266 on: December 08, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »
There are 5 Big East teams in the KenPom top 30 and that doesn't include 9-0 DePaul.

Yes, we can beat Villanova and Seton Hall but we won't have a better record than either of them at the end of the BE season unless all of their best players get hurt. That is a fact.

It's unfortunate that you will be calling for Anderson's firing at the end of this season because this team is nowhere near the NCAA Tournament.

You’re talking about the outcome of the season as if it’s a forgone conclusion.

No one thought we could beat West Virginia, but it happened. We shot 32.9% from the floor, and we went 2-17 from three. Yet we won, and what I see from this group is a team that gets after it. I think that will give them a chance to win when their offense doesn’t have it.

These are the games that we didn’t  win last season because we only won when our offense was on.

HKD

« Reply #267 on: December 08, 2019, 12:41:08 PM »

Did anyone think the tournament was not a long shot going into the season with this roster?  Stay on or near the bubble, play hard, and start building via recruiting.  This team will have a few surprise wins and also some bad losses.  I think Anderson's style will work well with the type of players St. John's should be able to recruit. 

goredmen

« Reply #268 on: December 08, 2019, 12:54:23 PM »
You’re talking about the outcome of the season as if it’s a forgone conclusion.

No one thought we could beat West Virginia, but it happened. We shot 32.9% from the floor, and we went 2-17 from three. Yet we won, and what I see from this group is a team that gets after it. I think that will give them a chance to win when their offense doesn’t have it.

These are the games that we didn’t  win last season because we only won when our offense was on.

We were only 3.5 point underdogs not 20 point underdogs. I think you can relax on the "no one thought we could beat West Virginia"

cjfish

« Reply #269 on: December 08, 2019, 05:31:32 PM »

We will surprise a lot of people. The overall lack of talent in the league will make  everyone beatable. Our quickness and aggressive D will keep us in most games.

TONYD3

« Reply #270 on: December 08, 2019, 05:41:40 PM »

We will surprise a lot of people. The overall lack of talent in the league will make  everyone beatable. Our quickness and aggressive D will keep us in most games.
No surprise. No one will be flummoxed. Our boys will be the bullies of the new big east. Those soft assed teams won’t want to play us. Yesterday’s game wasn’t ugly. That’s how we play.

Marillac

« Reply #271 on: December 08, 2019, 06:20:27 PM »
The collective delusion of this forum is hysterical. You are the same people that will be on the ledge after we  lose three straight games.

« Reply #272 on: December 08, 2019, 09:30:15 PM »
The collective delusion of this forum is hysterical. You are the same people that will be on the ledge after we  lose three straight games.

What is your end game? You clearly think you are smarter than everyone, so I wonder what your goal is when you post on here. I was all on board with Mullin when he got here. Stuck up for him to everyone I met. When it was clear his ineptness as a coach was something that wasn't going away, I wanted better. He's my favorite player of all time but he was terrible coach. Being the "I told you so guy" doesn't make you smarter than everyone. It makes you a douche.

If this team goes .500 in BE play, then yes, they would be overachieving a bit. But they have a team that is preparing to overachieve. The defense is becoming consistent. There is depth. We have a few more weapons than we've had in the past. We rebound more than we have. We have more depth on the way. A real fan looks at what we have and says it can be done. Why do you even post on here? Find another team. You hate the coach, the team, fans and the school. You're a troll wrapped in an ugly Louie sweater. Move on.

Marillac

« Reply #273 on: December 08, 2019, 10:07:02 PM »
What is your end game? You clearly think you are smarter than everyone, so I wonder what your goal is when you post on here. I was all on board with Mullin when he got here. Stuck up for him to everyone I met. When it was clear his ineptness as a coach was something that wasn't going away, I wanted better. He's my favorite player of all time but he was terrible coach. Being the "I told you so guy" doesn't make you smarter than everyone. It makes you a douche.

If this team goes .500 in BE play, then yes, they would be overachieving a bit. But they have a team that is preparing to overachieve. The defense is becoming consistent. There is depth. We have a few more weapons than we've had in the past. We rebound more than we have. We have more depth on the way. A real fan looks at what we have and says it can be done. Why do you even post on here? Find another team. You hate the coach, the team, fans and the school. You're a troll wrapped in an ugly Louie sweater. Move on.

My end game? Lololol
I come here to talk St. John’s basketball like everyone else.

How dumb are some of you? I got called a baby boomer yesterday and today you imply I’m obsessed with the past of Louie and Mullin. I don’t even remember Louie as a coach. He is well before my time. I didn’t  care much for Mullin as a coach, but you and others are too stupid to understand that you don’t have to be on one extreme or the other in everything.

I love the school. I love the program. Other than being wrong on everything in your post, you nailed it. Work on context clues.

“A real fan looks at looks at what we have and says it can be done.” Wow, that is adorable.

« Reply #274 on: December 08, 2019, 10:35:02 PM »
You don't come in here to talk about basketball. You come on here to tell everyone they're wrong about basketball. I never implied you're from the Louie era. You're clearly younger than a lot of people on here. You write like a shit ass little know it all. No secret there. You don't read what people write, like most douchy little know it alls. I never once said you were obsessed with anything. You defend Mullin on here more than most and definitely criticize our new coach more than most. You get off on calling people delusional and stupid and nice persons, like most douchy little millennials. My question is why?

You don't love the program. Or maybe you do and you just like complaining about everything. You're that guy that bitches about his family all the time but then tries to convince people you actually love them. I like to come on this forum and see what people have to say but I rarely post because now here I am calling someone I don't even know a douche. Whatever. I hope our team has a great season, and if they don't I'll hope they have a great one next year.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 11:44:22 PM by ihateuconn »

« Reply #275 on: December 08, 2019, 11:20:34 PM »
Seton hall lost to iowa state by 10 tonight.  Goes to show how huge our win against wvu really was.

We are alive for the ncaa tourney boys and girls.  Get ready for a crazy season.

Marillac

« Reply #276 on: December 08, 2019, 11:59:39 PM »
You don't come in here to talk about basketball. You come on here to tell everyone they're wrong about basketball. I never implied you're a from the Louie era. You're clearly younger than a lot of people on here. You write like a shit ass little know it all. No secret there. You don't read what people write, like most douchy little know it alls. I never once said you were obsessed with anything. You defend Mullin on here more than most and definitely criticize our new coach more than most. You get off on calling people delusional and stupid and nice persons, like most douchy little millennials. My question is why?

You don't love the program. Or maybe you do and you just like to complaining about everything. You're that guy that bitches about his family all the time but then tries to convince people you actually love them. I like to come on this forum and see what people have to say but I rarely post because now here I am calling someone I don't even know a douche. Whatever. I hope our team has a great season, and if they don't I'll hope they have a great one next year.

How many times are you going to call me little? I’ve now been called a baby boomer and a little millennial on consecutive days. I’ve been told I hate St. John’s as a school, Queens, and the SJU basketball team. None of that is factually accurate.

This highlights the inability of our fans to not deal in extremes.

Who are you to define what makes a fan and what fans can and can’t discuss? I defend Mullin only to the extent that is warranted. He was an okay coach with a lot of room for improvement. Nothing more. Nothing less.

One poster wrote just today that Mullin’s tenure “was the worst four years in St. John’s history.” You don’t think that is delusional? Another poster wrote yesterday that he doesn’t see a team better then us in the conference! We have posters scoffing at the very notion that our coach would even consider going to a program the caliber of Tulsa even though he played and coached there. This is months after being embarrassed nationally in our coaching search.

I offer both praise and criticism of Anderson and all prior coaches with the exception of Norm Roberts.  That shouldn’t be such a revolutionary concept.

Poison

« Reply #277 on: December 09, 2019, 10:42:45 AM »

Ask and you shall receive.

« Reply #278 on: December 10, 2019, 06:37:44 PM »
St. John’s KenPom was literally 88 last year and y’all made the tourney losing 4 out of the last 5 in the regular season lmao. KenPom is at 97 right now. Not to far behind.

desco80

« Reply #279 on: December 10, 2019, 07:36:27 PM »
Not insane to think about a NCAA bid.   But it's not going to happen.   I think this could be a NIT team though, which means it's only a handful of wins from the tournament.   

50/50 they make the NIT I would say
15% chance they dance
Odds along those lines