Starting lineup change for BE play?

• 7 replies
Starting lineup change for BE play?
« on: December 08, 2019, 11:02:31 AM »
With the big east play just around the corner, I think we need to be a bit stronger down low.  At times yesterday, west virginia pushed us around down low.  That seemed to stop once Earlington came in.

With Heron really struggling against real teams, maybe bringing him off the bench can spark better play in him.

Here is the lineup I think we should put out there come big east play.

Pg- Dunn
Sg- Figgy
Sf- Penny
Pf- Earlington
C- Roberts

Then the secon unit is Rutherford, GW, Herron, Caraher and the transfer whos almost eligible.

I think that starting lineup gives us our best opportunity to compete downlow.  And hopefully, coming off the bench could spark heron.

Thoughts?

TONYD3

Re: Starting lineup change for BE play?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 11:34:45 AM »
Heron played a great game defensively. Our goal should be to get him going not to sit him down. The goal (realistic or not) is get to the tournament and win big east games. Putting the preseason all big east player on the bench isn’t the way to that.
Rutherford was great yesterday. He isn’t that talented, but at least he knows that. Besides taking a few bad 3’s I thought he played a great game (relative to his talent). He wasn’t a liability. That’s all you can ask for.
If anyone who comes out of the starting lineup I could see Roberts for Steere. And that’s not a demotion for Roberts. He has been fantastic. 1 more capable  forward is going is to be huge for us.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 11:42:14 AM »
This is the starting line up that I think we will see come BE play.

Rutherford - PG
Heron - SG
Figueroa - SF
Champagnie - PF
Roberts - C

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 12:34:18 PM »
This is the starting line up that I think we will see come BE play.

Rutherford - PG
Heron - SG
Figueroa - SF
Champagnie - PF
Roberts - C

+1

I like our bench as is. Dunn and Earlington are instant offense. Williams and Caraher know how to play and we don’t win either of the umass or WVU game if not for them. I’m higher than most on Sears but at the least he’s better then the empty seats we’ve had in the past for a back up big. If Steere turns out to be the best big of the group then this can be a tournament team. If he’s just substantially better than Sears we still will be in good shape to battle for 6-8th place.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 12:24:26 AM »
Dunn is best off the bench as a spark. He needs regular breaks because he’s often out of control. You get what you can out of Rutherford for as long as you can. I’m not a fan but he’s a complete change of pace from that Tasmanian Devil.

Champagnie is a 4. He should never play the 3 this year. It takes away all of the advantages he has over the people guarding him. Roberts is a good complement to Champagnie because he’s very bouncy and athletic. I like them in there together and I think that’s plenty of size with Heron and LJ at the 2 and 3 spots.

I’m getting less bullish on Steere by the day.

ras

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 12:32:17 AM »
Why are you getting less bullish on Steere?

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 12:59:48 AM »
Why are you getting less bullish on Steere?

I like what we get out of Champagnie and Roberts. I like what Earlington offers off the bench. I think Sears is pretty solid even if he’s unspectacular. I also don’t like what some have been saying about him him being more of a shooter and less of a bulldog.

Champagnie gets the exceedingly rare Marillac pass for shooting and playing on the perimeter as a four because he has that skill set.

cjfish

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 10:39:37 AM »
Dunn is best off the bench as a spark. He needs regular breaks because he’s often out of control. You get what you can out of Rutherford for as long as you can. I’m not a fan but he’s a complete change of pace from that Tasmanian Devil.

Champagnie is a 4. He should never play the 3 this year. It takes away all of the advantages he has over the people guarding him. Roberts is a good complement to Champagnie because he’s very bouncy and athletic. I like them in there together and I think that’s plenty of size with Heron and LJ at the 2 and 3 spots.

I’m getting less bullish on Steere by the day.

How can you have an opinion on Steere if you haven’t seen him play?  He will add to depth and, if he’s the beast everyone is implying,  he could start after awhile. The depth on this team could be outstanding and lead to no one playing 30. Balance between the first and second unit should lead to duke and steere on different units and Champ going to the second unit and giving it more firepower. Dunn,Caraher, Duke, Williams and Champ would be a very effective second unit who could at times all sub together. Steere would add bulk to the starters. I love 10 deep, fresh players and aggressive defense which will be a headache to the opposition