Busting Brackets: Big East Power Rankings

• 178 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Busting Brackets: Big East Power Rankings
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2019, 09:44:02 PM »
What is your point? The difference in talent after the top 1-2 teams is almost nonexistent in the Big East when DePaul is decent.

Exactly my point. There is no difference between last and 2nd to last so didn’t get why anyone would make it an issue.

Johnny23

« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2019, 09:45:20 PM »
This is where the lack of nuance and middle ground that has swept this board over the last few months is most apparent.

It is true that Mullin probably underutilized Roberts and should have found him minutes early on.

It is likely that Anderson, with a less complex system that is more friendly to raw athletic players, would have been able to better utilize Roberts. Earlington, however, wasn’t going to play for anyone last year.

It is also true that these guys would have improved as sophomores under Mullin. Roberts would be getting the same minutes under Mullin as there are no other options. Earlington would probably be playing more for the same reason.

Total BS. You have zero way of knowing how Roberts or Earlington would have played this season if Mullin was coaching. Most of the guys Mullin coached never showed mild improvement, let alone the leaps and bounds that Roberts has shown in one season. Do you think that Roberts just magically looks like a completely different player this year by chance? It's called coaching. Anderson actually coaches defense and rebounding nonstop. It's no coincidence that these players have greatly improved while the teams defense and rebounding have as well.

SJUFAN

« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2019, 09:51:47 PM »
He didn't inherit a next to last place roster. He didn't add much to existing team which caused it to become 9th place.

Hmmmmmm. It’s a 9th place roster because Anderson didn’t add much to it? Meaning it was dependent on the additions Anderson made...which means what he inherited by itself was a 9th place roster. Thanks for clearing that up.

« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2019, 09:54:39 PM »
Exactly my point. There is no difference between last and 2nd to last so didn’t get why anyone would make it an issue.
Since Mullin didnt stress rebounding I dont think Roberts or Earlington would have nearly improved as much under Mullin

SJUFAN

« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2019, 09:57:34 PM »
This has nothing to do with previous staff by making this statement but if we had Cam Mack as our starting PG we'd probably be winning a game in NCAA Tournament.

Holy shit! So Mullin couldn’t win a NCAA tournament game with Ponds, Simon, and Clarke. But he would have with Mack had he stayed.

So in essence Mack is better than Ponds and losing the BE defensive player of the year is addition by subtraction.

The delusion is real folks.

SJUFAN

« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2019, 10:10:24 PM »
This is where the lack of nuance and middle ground that has swept this board over the last few months is most apparent.

It is true that Mullin probably underutilized Roberts and should have found him minutes early on.

It is likely that Anderson, with a less complex system that is more friendly to raw athletic players, would have been able to better utilize Roberts. Earlington, however, wasn’t going to play for anyone last year.

It is also true that these guys would have improved as sophomores under Mullin. Roberts would be getting the same minutes under Mullin as there are no other options. Earlington would probably be playing more for the same reason.

Stop it, it has nothing to do with the complexity of the system. Anderson values Roberts and Earlington skill set more. It’s really that simple. They are not good offensive players, they are good defenders and offensive rebounders, which creates scoring opportunities for them. Mullin wouldn’t have used them in that capacity, Earlington would have been shooting 3’s and would find himself on the bench after a couple bricks.

Remember Trimble showed little to no improvement. I believe he had more turnovers than dribbles.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 10:13:01 PM by SJUFAN »

Marillac

« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2019, 10:24:55 PM »
Stop it, it has nothing to do with the complexity of the system. Anderson values Roberts and Earlington skill set more. It’s really that simple. They are not good offensive players, they are good defenders and offensive rebounders, which creates scoring opportunities for them. Mullin wouldn’t have used them in that capacity, Earlington would have been shooting 3’s and would find himself on the bench after a couple bricks.

Remember Trimble showed little to no improvement. I believe he had more turnovers than dribbles.

You’re just dumb. Earlington and Roberts are not comparable in any way offensively. You are the only one that would make that connection.

Marillac

« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2019, 10:29:47 PM »

You are so stupid nobody can understand you except simpletons. Please tell me you, Johnny23, and MullinsRevenge are all the same person.

wpc77

« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2019, 10:39:12 PM »
Man, way too much vitriol back here.  Sweet God.

« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2019, 10:46:15 PM »
Why is Mack even brought up?  He was gone by February or early March last year when Matt started having phone calls with Hoiberg, which then led Matt to start recruiting Mack to go elsewhere while still being a paid coach at St. John's.  Anderson had no shot at ever keeping Mack.

He didn't inherit a next to last place roster. He didn't add much to existing team which caused it to become 9th place. This has nothing to do with previous staff by making this statement but if we had Cam Mack as our starting PG we'd probably be winning a game in NCAA Tournament.

The point being the team wasn't a dumpster fire but we failed to add significant pieces needed.

SJUFAN

« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2019, 11:36:53 PM »
You’re just dumb. Earlington and Roberts are not comparable in any way offensively. You are the only one that would make that connection.

Reading is fundamental. Who the hell is comparing the two you idiot. Neither one would have been successful based on the way Mullin would have utilized them.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 12:12:44 AM by SJUFAN »

SJUFAN

« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2019, 11:43:42 PM »
You are so stupid nobody can understand you except simpletons. Please tell me you, Johnny23, and MullinsRevenge are all the same person.

You are the one who screamed to high heaven regarding my “last place” team. How dare I quote a “random” source when more “credible” sources had them 2nd to last. Then you say there is no difference after 1-2. So why make my last place comment an issue when “credible” sources say they’ll finish 2nd to last? Cause your an imbecile!

Poison

« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2019, 12:18:52 AM »

Marillac, serious question? Are you on that Florida meth that I’ve read about?

There was no comparison made between Robert’s and Earlington’s offensive games. You imagined that.

That said, you happen to be correct. They have vastly different offensive games. So, if that was a debate that you were having with yourself, you won.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 12:20:18 AM by Poison »

« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2019, 09:42:08 AM »
So y’all had Ponds, Clarke, Simon, Roberts, Earlington, LJ, and Heron?? Geeeez...I don’t think Anderson has that much talent on a team ever.

« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2019, 10:49:30 AM »
You are stupid, you are dumb, you are an idiot etc etc etc.

Half of this board acts like 10 year olds here. 

I take it the mods here dont care about this board.  It’s a shame because there are a few good posters here but a few bad apples ruin the bunch.

I am just waiting to be approved for posting privlidges on another board and I am out of here.

The childish name calling is embarassing.

ras

« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2019, 11:00:12 AM »
One thing about Earlington , he’s the garbage man we’ve been lacking. He gets excellent position, uses his body well , gets offensive rebounds and uses the glass well to get the ball in the hoop.

Marillac

« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2019, 11:18:28 AM »
You are the one who screamed to high heaven regarding my “last place” team. How dare I quote a “random” source when more “credible” sources had them 2nd to last. Then you say there is no difference after 1-2. So why make my last place comment an issue when “credible” sources say they’ll finish 2nd to last? Cause your an imbecile!

It’s truly not worth discussing anything with someone this intellectually challenged. It’s impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Your attempt to pass off a blogger’s pre-season prediction, which he even labeled “one man’s stab,” as support for your false claim stands alone. It is deserving of ridicule.

Your original argument was that this was a rebuilding year for St. John’s and for support you offered the false claim that we were picked to finish last. The problem with this argument is that the team that was actually picked last is 11-1 and has a realistic chance of winning the league (although I think chemistry and being good for the first time will hold them back). We are 10-2 after being picked 9th. Creighton was picked to finish 7th and they are 9-2 with its only losses coming to the #1 team in the NET and then #14 Michigan.  Butler was picked 8th and is #4 in the NET, ranked in the top 20 games in the polls, and is 10-1.

Given the performance of the teams picked in the bottom four by the Big East coaches—including the team that was picked behind us—is being picked 9th does not support your conclusion that this is a rebuilding year.

To further complicate your continued insistence that this is a rebuilding year, you have posted on multiple occasions that we have a chance for double-digit wins in the Big East!

If all of that wasn’t enough to send a person with a triple-digit IQ into fits, you droppped this gem, “every team with a first year coach is rebuilding.”  That’s just a bizarre statement to make when St. John’s itself was led to the Elite Eight by a first year coach. Anderson’s replacement is 9-1 at Arkansas.

Foad

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2019, 11:42:35 AM »
I am just waiting to be approved for posting privlidges on another board and I am out of here.

Let me know if you need a reference.

The childish name calling is embarassing.

Presumably when you call people ten year olds and bad apples that's mature name calling, huh.

« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2019, 11:44:53 AM »
None of the freshman did anything last year. Saying that they would be playing as well as they are now or expecting them to not have transferred out is non sense.
Mack wasn’t coming. We had 0 players coming in. This team was guaranteed to finish Again in last place.
Dave- it’s kind of scary. I can only imagine how bad mullin was. You actually know the details. And you refuse to acknowledge what you saw.

What am I refusing to acknowledge? I've openly spoke in multiple threads about +/-
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2019, 11:48:44 AM »
We are discussing 2 different things. I agree with your point. Dave made it seem like everything that has happened this year with our sophomores would have happened under the previous staff. I do not agree with that.
Champagnie reminds me of Donny Marshall. Maybe not as athletic. The kid is only a freshman. He is much better then he was even a month ago.

Well I didn't say or imply anything about development but the fact simply remains the majority or roster was in place.

However generally in college basketball the biggest jump you'll see in development will be from freshman to sophomore.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle