Busting Brackets: Big East Power Rankings

• 178 replies
Re: Busting Brackets: Big East Power Rankings
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »
The problem is that Coach Anderson didn’t add a point guard at the level we’ve come to expect. He did bring in Champagnie and Dunn, and they are clearly good enough to play in the BE. If we look at who Roberts, Lavin and Mullin brought in at the 25th hour did anyone do better?

I've said from jump street Dunn was good add. We knew he could score and knew he'd help. Champagnie has been better than expected.

McGriff and Rutherford were awful adds when there were better players available.
Nah'Shon Hyland would have been my first call. If you wound up with Rutherford as a supplement that would have been fine for a stop gap.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2019, 12:05:45 PM »
Holy shit! So Mullin couldn’t win a NCAA tournament game with Ponds, Simon, and Clarke. But he would have with Mack had he stayed.

So in essence Mack is better than Ponds and losing the BE defensive player of the year is addition by subtraction.

The delusion is real folks.

You have to look at landscape of conference and nationally. Villanova and Marquette top two teams in conference had a ton of turnover.

This has noting to do with who's coach or who isn't. I'm simply saying insert that player on this team and we would be really good.

There is a fine line between ok and good and great.

« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2019, 12:07:13 PM »
Hmmmmmm. It’s a 9th place roster because Anderson didn’t add much to it? Meaning it was dependent on the additions Anderson made...which means what he inherited by itself was a 9th place roster. Thanks for clearing that up.

And he inherited 2 all league players with depth.

Needed a PG it's really that simple.

« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2019, 12:11:32 PM »
Why is Mack even brought up?  He was gone by February or early March last year when Matt started having phone calls with Hoiberg, which then led Matt to start recruiting Mack to go elsewhere while still being a paid coach at St. John's.  Anderson had no shot at ever keeping Mack.

This team is good. However without a PG we are hindered. Mack would have been really good on this team.

Not really a coaching debate Mullin/Anderson. Just simply pointing out that if we added a talented PG this offseason this team could have been dancing and doing real damage.

Marillac

« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »
I've said from jump street Dunn was good add. We knew he could score and knew he'd help. Champagnie has been better than expected.

McGriff and Rutherford were awful adds when there were better players available.
Nah'Shon Hyland would have been my first call. If you wound up with Rutherford as a supplement that would have been fine for a stop gap.

McGriff was a great add. He wasn’t so touted that he’d scare away 4* PGs for next year and he has a pure skill set.

Rutherford would have been okay as a third PG. His addition really pissed me off.

« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2019, 05:28:14 PM »
McGriff was a great add. He wasn’t so touted that he’d scare away 4* PGs for next year and he has a pure skill set.

Rutherford would have been okay as a third PG. His addition really pissed me off.

As much as you are a tiny guard guy, I am a big long guard guy. We probably won't see eye to eye on this.

For me if I'm going to have a small guard he better be two things.... Lightning quick and shot maker.

McGriff is neither of those things. He's shifty but I wouldn't classify him as great decision or shot maker. Regardless we'd be better team with him healthy simply for him to be a straw to stir the drink. 

Marillac

« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2019, 06:27:32 PM »
As much as you are a tiny guard guy, I am a big long guard guy. We probably won't see eye to eye on this.

For me if I'm going to have a small guard he better be two things.... Lightning quick and shot maker.

McGriff is neither of those things. He's shifty but I wouldn't classify him as great decision or shot maker. Regardless we'd be better team with him healthy simply for him to be a straw to stir the drink. 

McGriff is the prototypical backup PG that every Big East team should have. 18-20 mpg and sharing the court with the head PG for stretches.

If you look at him like that instead of a starter then I believe he looks much better.

SJUFAN

« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2019, 10:54:59 PM »
Your original argument was that this was a rebuilding year for St. John’s and for support you offered the false claim that we were picked to finish last.

This is a rebuilding year. I don’t think anyone outside of yourself believes otherwise. My claim was in response to your statement that since we have 2 pre-season 2nd team players it’s not a rebuilding year. Well it’s a team sport and we were picked to finish essentially last due to having the worse roster in the conference.

The problem with this argument is that the team that was actually picked last is 11-1 and has a realistic chance of winning the league (although I think chemistry and being good for the first time will hold them back). We are 10-2 after being picked 9th. Creighton was picked to finish 7th and they are 9-2 with its only losses coming to the #1 team in the NET and then #14 Michigan.  Butler was picked 8th and is #4 in the NET, ranked in the top 20 games in the polls, and is 10-1

This counter makes zero sense. There is no correlation between the teams you mentioned and St. John’s for a number of reasons. Just because DePaul was picked to finish last and may win the conference does that mean we should compete for 2nd place because we were picked to finish 2nd to last? Didn’t think so.

Given the performance of the teams picked in the bottom four by the Big East coaches—including the team that was picked behind us—is being picked 9th does not support your conclusion that this is a rebuilding year.

Again the success or failure of these programs has zero correlation to ours. Neither of these programs had a coaching change. They all had the opportunity to recruit players to fit their perspective systems.

To further complicate your continued insistence that this is a rebuilding year, you have posted on multiple occasions that we have a chance for double-digit wins in the Big East!
I never made this claim

If all of that wasn’t enough to send a person with a triple-digit IQ into fits, you droppped this gem, “every team with a first year coach is rebuilding.”  That’s just a bizarre statement to make when St. John’s itself was led to the Elite Eight by a first year coach. Anderson’s replacement is 9-1 at Arkansas.

Again I didn’t make this claim. You don’t believe this to be a rebuilding year that’s fine you can have your opinion, but’s it’s only you who believes that. Let me make this as simple as possible since you don’t believe this to be a rebuilding year. Name me the BE programs that our roster is better than?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 11:02:52 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2019, 12:22:28 PM »
This is a rebuilding year.
A team with two 2nd team all conference selections is not in a rebuilding year.

TONYD3

« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
A team with two 2nd team all conference selections is not in a rebuilding year.
A team that finished in 7th place that lost 3 players that played 30 plus minutes is most definitely rebuilding.

Johnny23

« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2019, 02:04:49 PM »
Nova takes down #1 Kansas. The Big East is really down this year...NOT!

Some of you really need to watch more hoops. Like I said the conference is very deep with tons of parity. A microcosm of college hoops as a whole this year.

« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2019, 03:38:45 PM »
A team that finished in 7th place that lost 3 players that played 30 plus minutes is most definitely rebuilding.
A team that went to the dance and returns two of the best 10 players ( that's 1/5 or 20% ) in a 10 team league is definitely NOT rebuilding.

Marillac

« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2019, 03:48:44 PM »
This is a rebuilding year. I don’t think anyone outside of yourself believes otherwise. My claim was in response to your statement that since we have 2 pre-season 2nd team players it’s not a rebuilding year. Well it’s a team sport and we were picked to finish essentially last due to having the worse roster in the conference.

This counter makes zero sense. There is no correlation between the teams you mentioned and St. John’s for a number of reasons. Just because DePaul was picked to finish last and may win the conference does that mean we should compete for 2nd place because we were picked to finish 2nd to last? Didn’t think so.

Again the success or failure of these programs has zero correlation to ours. Neither of these programs had a coaching change. They all had the opportunity to recruit players to fit their perspective systems.
I never made this claim

Again I didn’t make this claim. You don’t believe this to be a rebuilding year that’s fine you can have your opinion, but’s it’s only you who believes that. Let me make this as simple as possible since you don’t believe this to be a rebuilding year. Name me the BE programs that our roster is better than?

Holy f*ck you are stupid. For some reason I find it hard to distinguish between you and Johnny23. I know one is a few IQ points away from being a complete mental invalid and the other is just your average run of the mill nice person. I appreciate your continued efforts to remind me where you fall.

Tony D should pay you to travel with him some he looks like a Jeopardy champion in comparison.

cjfish

« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2019, 04:41:34 PM »
Holy f*ck you are stupid. For some reason I find it hard to distinguish between you and Johnny23. I know one is a few IQ points away from being a complete mental invalid and the other is just your average run of the mill nice person. I appreciate your continued efforts to remind me where you fall.

Tony D should pay you to travel with him some he looks like a Jeopardy champion in comparison.

Be civil boys

TONYD3

« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2019, 06:48:32 PM »

Hey Dave,
Is this what you were talking about?

SJUFAN

« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2019, 08:24:22 PM »

Haha your a mental midget who can’t comprehend rational thought and turns to insults. Nice try.

Marillac

« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2019, 03:46:31 AM »

How about a team that made the NCAA tournament that had two transfers sitting out, a trio of promising freshmen, and two rising 4th-year college players picked to be second team all-conference?

Rebuilding looks like Amar Alibegovic Christian Jones, and Felix Balamou not what Anderson inherited.

Marillac

« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2019, 03:54:58 AM »
Haha your a mental midget who can’t comprehend rational thought and turns to insults. Nice try.

*you’re

How does someone understand rational thought? I am not a mind reader. If you have rational thoughts on this matter then you sure do an awful job expressing them.

TONYD3

« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2019, 05:25:24 AM »
How about a team that made the NCAA tournament that had two transfers sitting out, a trio of promising freshmen, and two rising 4th-year college players picked to be second team all-conference?

Rebuilding looks like Amar Alibegovic Christian Jones, and Felix Balamou not what Anderson inherited.
2 transfers sitting out is a positive. Seems kind of stupid. Especially since 1 never played a second. And the other never should have been recruited. 6 scholarship years on Dixion, Eli, caraher.
Maybe we would have a back up PG if the the previous coach wasn’t so inept. By the way Rutherford had a decent game.
The Chris mullin game without Chris mullin!
20-59.

« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2019, 02:57:38 PM »
That was a huge day for the conference yesterday.