Busting Brackets: Big East Power Rankings

• 178 replies

TONYD3

Re: Busting Brackets: Big East Power Rankings
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2019, 03:48:51 PM »
That was a huge day for the conference yesterday.
Just wondering, is St.’johns still cursed?

goredmen

« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »
Ken Pomeroy
The Big East is about to run its record to 11-0 since Thursday, against a fairly difficult slate. Based on my pregame probabilities, there was about a 1 in 700 chance of this happening. (In reality, even lower since I'm overrating Seton Hall's current state.) Quite a run.

Johnny23

« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2019, 06:54:28 PM »
The BEast!

« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2019, 08:12:21 PM »

Idk. Do you think an early season win against Arizona is sufficient to erase a long and storied history of futility?

SJUFAN

« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2019, 10:29:32 PM »
How about a team that made the NCAA tournament that had two transfers sitting out, a trio of promising freshmen, and two rising 4th-year college players picked to be second team all-conference?

Rebuilding looks like Amar Alibegovic Christian Jones, and Felix Balamou not what Anderson inherited.

The problem is the two pre-season BE players are said to be leaving the team after this season. One for certain. Going into this season we have zero idea of what contributions we would get for the transfers or the freshman. We didn’t have a point guard on the roster. The “promising” freshman are roll players at best. Neither of them has a semblance of a high level D1 offensive game.

Even after we beat Arizona, you still believe there is a chance we finish last.

How is a last place roster not in need of an overhaul? It would be different if our pre-season BE 2nd team players were underclass men. We would have something to build around, but they are not, this is their last year and we may finish last with them. Like it or not this is a rebuilding year, I wouldn’t be surprised if Williams and Earlington transfer next year.

Poison

« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2019, 10:50:51 PM »
The problem is the two pre-season BE players are said to be leaving the team after this season. One for certain. Going into this season we have zero idea of what contributions we would get for the transfers or the freshman. We didn’t have a point guard on the roster. The “promising” freshman are roll players at best. Neither of them has a semblance of a high level D1 offensive game.

How is a last place roster not in need of an overhaul? It would be different if our pre-season BE 2nd team players were underclass men. We would have something to build around, but they are not, this is their last year and we may finish last with them. Like it or not this is a rebuilding year, I wouldn’t be surprised if Williams and Earlington transfer next year.

This team needs Earlington and Williams. I don’t see them transferring. I see them starting next year. Both of them.

TONYD3

« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2019, 10:58:33 PM »
This team needs Earlington and Williams. I don’t see them transferring. I see them starting next year. Both of them.
Neither transfer. But we are over scholarship limits I think by 1.

SJUFAN

« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2019, 02:21:25 AM »

The team needs players with Earlington’s heart...but better.

We’ve been starving for players like Earlington for so long I understand the desire to keep him. But he’s a 5-10 minutes tops player against better competition.

Can’t wait to see what this team looks like in year 3 with a roster full of coach’s players.

« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2019, 04:59:15 AM »

We’ve been starving for players like Earlington for so long I understand the desire to keep him. But he’s a 5-10 minutes tops player against better competition.

Oh man do I think you are off. I see big time matchup problem as an upperclassmen. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2019, 07:23:56 AM »
Enough with the transfer talk. That was the old regime who didn't have a clue about how to build a sustainable model with returning, veteran players who improved every season.

This is the Mike Anderson era which is the antithesis to that bull crap.

Earlington is a definite keeper. Every team needs a garbage guy like him who does all the little things. And he's damn good at playing his role.

The verdict is still out on Williams. It gets repetitive saying it but he needs to bring that level of explosion much more consistently. He's too flash in the pan right now. We'll see what happens with him.

One thing is for sure. The recruiting will definitely improve in the coming classes if IMA keeps winning.

« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2019, 10:38:39 AM »
Does anyone know what happens if LJ decides to stay one more year and no other player wants to transfer? Does the school need to take back one of the offers from the incoming recruits?

TONYD3

« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »
Does anyone know what happens if LJ decides to stay one more year and no other player wants to transfer? Does the school need to take back one of the offers from the incoming recruits?
I believe Anderson is still recruiting for this coming year.

« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2019, 11:44:11 AM »

Can’t wait to see what this team looks like in year 3 with a roster full of coach’s players.

Wait...what games have you been watching? Earlington has been a force.

Marillac

« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2019, 12:40:41 PM »

I said early and often that we are better 2-5 tbis year.  We have more depth, more size, and more experience than last year. I said the same thing looking to this season last year when Mullin was our coach. 

I predicted we’d finish 6th or 7th in the conference and predicted McGriff would have 3x the stats of literally any other poster in the prediction thread. When he went down I changed my outlook.

You guys need to stop looking at place in the conference as any kind of reliable indicator. What’s the difference between 2-9? 6-10? Almost nothing when DePaul is good and no other team is dealing with catastrophic injuries/departures.

Our lack of PG play and poor half court execution leads me to believe that it will be enough of a factor to put as the bottom of that clusterf*ck with another team.

SJUFAN

« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2019, 02:57:17 PM »
Wait...what games have you been watching? Earlington has been a force.

He has been very good for us. I like his toughness. He is really lost on the defensive end though and with his limitations on offense if he can’t clean that up wonder what Anderson will do.

Poison

« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2019, 03:54:52 PM »
He has been very good for us. I like his toughness. He is really lost on the defensive end though and with his limitations on offense if he can’t clean that up wonder what Anderson will do.

Limitations on offense? He scores more than anyone we’ve had in ages. He’ll catch up on defense. None of our guys are finished products.

goredmen

« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2019, 04:12:23 PM »
Limitations on offense? He scores more than anyone we’ve had in ages. He’ll catch up on defense. None of our guys are finished products.

If it's not a layup off of a nice pass or offensive rebound than Earlington essentially has zero offensive game. He's taken 11 3s this year which is 11 more than he should. He should never shoot more than 5 feet away from the basket or take more than one dribble at a time. Fortunately, he's very good at being in the right spot, grabbing offensive rebounds and finishing in those situations.

He's far exceeded my expectations this year but he'll never be more than a role player. The thing is the role he plays is very important and he's good at it.

Marillac

« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2019, 04:14:17 PM »

What are his limitations on offense? He hasn’t even caught up to where he would be if he was a full-time basketball player in high school.

He is stronger than literally everyone he goes up against and he can drive and shoot for a four. How do you not see him being a nightmare for opposing teams the next two years?

« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2019, 04:19:53 PM »
If it's not a layup off of a nice pass or offensive rebound than Earlington essentially has zero offensive game. He's taken 11 3s this year which is 11 more than he should. He should never shoot more than 5 feet away from the basket or take more than one dribble at a time. Fortunately, he's very good at being in the right spot, grabbing offensive rebounds and finishing in those situations.

He's far exceeded my expectations this year but he'll never be more than a role player. The thing is the role he plays is very important and he's good at it.

He’s got much more offensive game than you give him credit for.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2019, 04:23:59 PM »

He’s had some sloppy, over-aggressive takes for sure, but he has scored off a ton of secondary transition drives with multiple dribbles. His misses aren’t going to be pretty but he’s really hard to stop.

I wouldn’t write him off. His shot will fall with time and that will make him very tough to defend. Admiral Schoefield is his ceiling. Solid role player is his floor.

Schofield was a football player too (his brother played in the NFL) with the same size. He was ranked in the 300s in basketball out of high school.