Upcoming 5 Game Stretch

• 51 replies

QuanMan

Upcoming 5 Game Stretch
« on: December 19, 2019, 11:47:42 AM »
At 10-2 regardless of our SOS I'd say that we are all pleasantly surprised with the collective effort and discipline that IMA has refreshed this program with. The overall attitude and culture reset that has been instilled is beyond expectation. Everyone contributes selflessly, the coaching improvement is obvious.

With that being said, what are your expectations for the upcoming 5 game stretch:

12/21 Arizona (Neutral)
12/31 Butler (CA)
1/5     @Xavier
1/8     @GTown
1/11    Depaul (MSG)

To me anything north of .500 is gravy. Potentially grabbing (3) Quad 1 wins sitting at 13-4 or 12-5 will have us honestly looking at getting into early bubble conversation. Our deep bench should give GTown's 7 man rotation fits. @X, DePaul, Butler and AZ will not be easy. Big time 3.5 weeks ahead for IMA.
Section 3
Section 116

Re: Upcoming 5 Game Stretch
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 12:00:35 PM »
Need to win 3 out of the next 5 but I see 2 is the most realistic projection.

HKD

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 12:44:13 PM »
Win the home games.... and if you can get 1 of the other 3 it's an okay stretch.  If you can somehow pull off 2/3 the team is setup for a hell of a season.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 01:51:13 PM »
At 10-2 regardless of our SOS I'd say that we are all pleasantly surprised with the collective effort and discipline that IMA has refreshed this program with. The overall attitude and culture reset that has been instilled is beyond expectation. Everyone contributes selflessly, the coaching improvement is obvious.

With that being said, what are your expectations for the upcoming 5 game stretch:

12/21 Arizona (Neutral)
12/31 Butler (CA)
1/5     @Xavier
1/8     @GTown
1/11    Depaul (MSG)

To me anything north of .500 is gravy. Potentially grabbing (3) Quad 1 wins sitting at 13-4 or 12-5 will have us honestly looking at getting into early bubble conversation. Our deep bench should give GTown's 7 man rotation fits. @X, DePaul, Butler and AZ will not be easy. Big time 3.5 weeks ahead for IMA.

We have one of the ten worst stength of schedules in the country  and Vermont just lost again to fall to 6-5 against D-1 teams.

This team will need 23 wins to have a chance. Where do you see 13 wins coming from with 19 games against the Big East and one with Arizona all that is guaranteed?

QuanMan

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 02:02:20 PM »
We have one of the ten worst stength of schedules in the country  and Vermont just lost again to fall to 6-5 against D-1 teams.

This team will need 23 wins to have a chance. Where do you see 13 wins coming from with 19 games against the Big East and one with Arizona all that is guaranteed?

The average RPI for the Big East is third overall (58), SOS is also third (53). The remaining schedule will even out our SOS/RPI to the point where if we are say 9-9 we will be sweating out a bid going into the BET. Wishful thinking all around, but obviously beat Arizona this weekend and we will have the 2 critical noncon wins needed to have us really excited for the conference season to unfold.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 02:14:08 PM »

That seems steep. I don’t think we have to get to 23 wins. I think a winning BE record, and a win in the BE Tourney will get us in. I think the quality of our wins will come into question. We’ll need to beat the better BE teams, too. All of which, BTW, have had their own growing pains, too. Why is it so hard to believe that it’s possible?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 02:14:50 PM by Poison »

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 02:24:24 PM »
That seems steep. I don’t think we have to get to 23 wins. I think a winning BE record, and a win in the BE Tourney will get us in. I think the quality of our wins will come into question. We’ll need to beat the better BE teams, too. All of which, BTW, have had their own growing pains, too. Why is it so hard to believe that it’s possible?

Of course, 10-8 in the Big East, while beating some of the great teams, also means you've probably lost to some of the worst.  Fortunately, only Providence has looked really bad, so far.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 02:36:11 PM »
AZ is heads and above better then the other 4.  That is going to be the toughest game.

Ive seen gtown this year, not impressed.  Watched xavier get outplayed for 32 minutes at home against western carolina, not impressed.

Depaul is depaul until i see them make a run.

Carnesseca will be bananas nye and ill be there.

Ill say we get butler, xavier and gtown and go 3-2 in our next 5.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 02:50:02 PM »

So if we go 12-6 in a top 3 conference plus a win vs WVU out of conference for a 22-9 record we will hav no chance? Talk about nuance and middle ground
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 03:13:41 PM »
So if we go 12-6 in a top 3 conference plus a win vs WVU out of conference for a 22-9 record we will hav no chance? Talk about nuance and middle ground

We’re not going 12-6.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 03:15:39 PM »
If they finish with a winning conference record (incl. BE tourney), they should be in. 

looking at this 5-game stretch, I think 2 wins should be considered good given that this team was picked to be bottom 2 in the league. 

every one of these 5 teams is ranked or receiving votes -- to expect SJU to have a winning record against those teams suggests that SJU should be ranked or receiving votes and I think those expectations are too high at this point.  (though I love what anderson is doing with the talent he has)

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 03:15:50 PM »
We’re not going 12-6.

Nice dodge there “Middle Ground” 😉

QuanMan

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 03:28:31 PM »
Cooley owned Mullin (9-1), Xavier dominated us as well during the Mullin regime. I expect some of these once lopsided coaching matchups to flip over not only during this 5 game stretch but throughout the conference schedule. We have a borderline HOF coach on our sidelines now, I said it preseason, he's our biggest asset, we're starting to realize it now.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 03:30:43 PM »
Nice dodge there “Middle Ground” 😉

22 wins gets them in with 12-6. I don’t see that as a possible outcome. I was thinking more along the lines of 10-8 and winning two in tournament, but upon further review that probably gets them in as well.

Let’s call it >21 wins to get in. Xavier won 10 conference games last year with a much better out of conference slate than we have this year and was denied.

I don’t see even 11-12 wins on the schedule. It looks more like 6.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 05:15:57 PM »
22 wins gets them in with 12-6. I don’t see that as a possible outcome. I was thinking more along the lines of 10-8 and winning two in tournament, but upon further review that probably gets them in as well.

Let’s call it >21 wins to get in. Xavier won 10 conference games last year with a much better out of conference slate than we have this year and was denied.

I don’t see even 11-12 wins on the schedule. It looks more like 6.

That’s all fair! Just making sure you keep up to your own standards. I see 7 and am hoping for 9.

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 05:22:54 PM »
Think it will end up 19-14 with a win in the Big East tourney and 8-10 Big East conference record and make a 2 or 3 seed in the NIT and next year is when the clock starts ticking on Anderson to get the program running. Just don’t see a .500 record right now unless Heron gets back 100% and Steere is a difference maker.

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 05:23:14 PM »
Do you really believe this bullsh*te you write? 

The team is 10-2. Last year they were 12-0 with a better SOS (disclaimer: I don't know this for a fact but somebody wrote we're in the bottom 10 in the nation for this and I don't recall that being written last season).

In what new math is 10-2 with a bad SOS better than 12-0 with a better SOS?

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 05:30:47 PM »
Do you really believe this bullsh*te you write? 

The team is 10-2. Last year they were 12-0 with a better SOS (disclaimer: I don't know this for a fact but somebody wrote we're in the bottom 10 in the nation for this and I don't recall that being written last season).

In what new math is 10-2 with a bad SOS better than 12-0 with a better SOS?

As a full Mullin supporter I have been more impressed with the team this OOC than last. Is that so crazy?

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 05:31:44 PM »
Carnesseca will be bananas nye and ill be there.
No it won't. It will be poorly attended and quiet. This is the second time I've read something like this and I don't understand it.

I had 1900 last night by my eye count. I would guess we're currently drawing about as well as Hofstra and worse than Stonybrook.

It's great for me, you guys and the other few who actually attend games. i.e. Easy in and out parking, cheap tickets, short bathroom and concession lines with plenty of legroom to spread out in the stands. But I have to admit I'm concerned about what it means for the program.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 05:34:04 PM »
As a full Mullin supporter I have been more impressed with the team this OOC than last. Is that so crazy?
Ok. What is more impressive about 10-2 than 12-0 with a stronger schedule? I was more impressed by last year's Mullin and Ponds led team.