Arizona Game Discussion

• 236 replies

Marillac

Re: Arizona Game Discussion
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2019, 03:22:26 AM »
Heron was getting beat by Lamb. I think LJ is the better all around defender. His ball pressure and deflections are just on a different level than Heron. Better rebounder. Better passer. Smarter player.

Lamb is a 6’9 3/4 and Heron is a 6’5 2/3. LJ was the far closer matchup postion wise.

I have no argument with LJ being the better passer or smarter player, and I wouldn’t even argue rebounding. However, LJ is a below average on-ball defender. Heron can be elite there if it was his primary focus. LJ plays way too high and he doesn’t have good lateral quickness. He has great hands and a great basketball IQ.

Marillac

« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2019, 03:40:10 AM »
It's not really even debatable...but ok. LJ is better on both sides of the ball and it's not close.

Being better at steals as well as blocked shots as well as rebounding are all part of being a better overall defender. On-ball defense I still give the edge to LJ.

Hahaha ok. LJ is more likely to pick someone’s pocket, but be can’t stay in front of anyone. It’s certainly debatable. They are two different kinds of athletes. Heron could box him out all day long. LJ is a longer and more savvy player. You give me a choice overall it’s LJ, but we don’t have to act like he’s this shutdown defender. If we are up and need a stop, I want Heron guarding. If we are down and need a steal I want LJ.

« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2019, 08:54:45 AM »
I didn't think the johnnies would win this, but they look like a team that will make the NCAA tourney, looks like a more complete team than Mike had at any point at Arkansas. Congrats!

cjfish

« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2019, 09:29:13 AM »
This was a great win and Bill Walton can eat shit!

I find Walton refreshing. Love the insanity and knowledge of basketball history. And when he has a game comment between his crazy ramblings it is very insightful

« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2019, 09:47:56 AM »
I don't know the behind the scenes chatter on recruiting, how other programs view these kids, whether other staffs were "laughing at us" as stated before the year, who we could have reasonably gotten to fill out the roster or the like. 

But I do know that we have a good coach, respected by his peers, who seems to know what he's doing in how to actually coach a college team, even one that has all sorts of holes and imperfections in year 1.  And that's refreshing.  This W was gratifying on so many levels.

Totally agree. See first page of this thread.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

HKD

« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2019, 09:51:10 AM »
I DVR'd the game and woke up early to watch without checking on it at all!  HELL YEAH!!!!!!  While talent might not be there, given the style of play and how hard Anderson has them playing they can win any game they play. That is why I love his style and loved the hire. 

ras

« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2019, 11:03:47 AM »
Crazy that Nick Rutherford's best two games this season have been against WVU and Arizona. There is literally no reasonable explanation for this but hell I'll take it.
Maybe he’s getting good coaching and improving.

TONYD3

« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2019, 11:29:01 AM »
I think Rutherford realizes that he isn’t as good as the players he is going against. That’s a skill. He isn’t trying things. He is making smart plays. Playing to his strengths. That left handed runner at the end of the game is probably his best move.

Rodman

« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2019, 12:41:27 PM »
I loved LJ's scoop shot to end the first half.  That was awesome exclamation point for the first half!  Even Bill Walton got a kick out of it.

TONYD3

« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2019, 12:52:49 PM »
I loved LJ's scoop shot to end the first half.  That was awesome exclamation point for the first half!  Even Bill Walton got a kick out of it.
I have bruised ribs. I yelled out so loud, and it hurt so much I had tears in my eyes. Happy years!

Poison

« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2019, 01:06:06 PM »

I find Walton refreshing. Love the insanity and knowledge of basketball history. And when he has a game comment between his crazy ramblings it is very insightful

His basketball knowledge is immense, but what’s equally immense is the amount of times he’s wrong about something anyone could google.

Marillac

« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2019, 02:52:13 PM »
I have bruised ribs. I yelled out so loud, and it hurt so much I had tears in my eyes. Happy years!

Tears in your eyes? Maybe it’s time to see the doctor to get your T levels checked?

TONYD3

« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2019, 03:48:01 PM »
Tears in your eyes? Maybe it’s time to see the doctor to get your T levels checked?
Thanks. I will look into it. Almost ok. Just below average. Sorry you aren’t enjoying the season.

« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2019, 07:11:50 PM »
Lamb is a 6’9 3/4 and Heron is a 6’5 2/3. LJ was the far closer matchup postion wise.

I have no argument with LJ being the better passer or smarter player, and I wouldn’t even argue rebounding. However, LJ is a below average on-ball defender. Heron can be elite there if it was his primary focus. LJ plays way too high and he doesn’t have good lateral quickness. He has great hands and a great basketball IQ.
Where the heck do you get these heights? In a sport where they inflate heights Lamb is listed at 6'6. 6'9 3/4 he would be a big. LOL

Marillac

« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2019, 12:01:30 PM »
Where the heck do you get these heights? In a sport where they inflate heights Lamb is listed at 6'6. 6'9 3/4 he would be a big. LOL

3/4 is his position not his height. Sf/PF. 2/3 is Heron’s position. SG/SF. 

Marillac

« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2019, 12:12:18 PM »
Thanks. I will look into it. Almost ok. Just below average. Sorry you aren’t enjoying the season.

I enjoy every win. You weren’t happy when we were 12-0 last year. In fact, you posted you got no joy from the undefeated team and were done.

I have low expectations for this season after the McGriff injury. I’d be extremely happy to be wrong. I’d travel to any tournament game and buy beers for the fans who were right while gladly accepting criticism for my prediction.

If someone told me Anderson would be here for 15 years I’d sign for it in a heartbeat.

Our maniac fans set unrealistic goals and then turn hard on the coach when they aren’t realized.

Our fanbase has a messiah complex.

TONYD3

« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2019, 01:30:45 PM »
I enjoy every win. You weren’t happy when we were 12-0 last year. In fact, you posted you got no joy from the undefeated team and were done.

I have low expectations for this season after the McGriff injury. I’d be extremely happy to be wrong. I’d travel to any tournament game and buy beers for the fans who were right while gladly accepting criticism for my prediction.

If someone told me Anderson would be here for 15 years I’d sign for it in a heartbeat.

Our maniac fans set unrealistic goals and then turn hard on the coach when they aren’t realized.

Our fanbase has a messiah complex.
12-0 was a fraud. That’s what I thought at the time. We beat a bunch of cupcakes playing well in maybe 3 of those 12 games. The thought of coach lazy ass getting an extension made me sick to my stomach.
You know he was a fraud also. You tried hard to pump him up. Bowling green was not a good win. The people on this board that you convinced that it was are the ones you should call stupid.
Our current team has issues, because Anderson had to fix (rebuild) the team. We should have a better PG then Rutherford. That’s more on mullin then Anderson. Next year we will have 2 good PGs.
We have great fans. They just want to win. We are 11-2 with 2 very good out of conference wins and no bad losses. I have raised my expectations. I was hoping for the NIT bubble. Now I expect more.
I love the hire of Anderson and have said so from the beginning. However if LJ decides to quit tomorrow and we start the big east 0-11. I may change my opinion. But that’s not what I am expecting.
Our team can certainly go .500 in conference and that would put us on the bubble. With Anderson probably winning big east coach of the year. In my opinion that’s reasonable. If he doesn’t hit that mark it will be close. This is not a last place team.
Anderson is not the messiah. He is just a hard working capable basketball coach. We went from having by far the worst coach in conference to having one of the better ones. That’s not a 2 game a season difference. Our school and fans shouldn’t have to settle for almost ok to appease a bunch of senior citizens, (lazy ass was awful- 20-59 is not close to ok)

If you are still not enjoying this team and don’t see the positives and foundation for long term success I feel bad you.

« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2019, 02:53:09 PM »

He's been awful every other game. It's an amazing anomaly he's played above his average against best teams.

TONYD3

« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2019, 02:55:06 PM »
He's been awful every other game. It's an amazing anomaly he's played above his average against best teams.
That’s not true. You never even called amar awful.

« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2019, 03:01:53 PM »
That’s not true. You never even called amar awful.

He didn't play over 20mpg