So March Madness

• 64 replies
So March Madness
« on: December 22, 2019, 12:21:38 AM »
What does conference play look like for us to dance?

It's possible
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: So March Madness
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 12:33:45 AM »
What does conference play look like for us to dance?

It's possible
We don’t have a chance at all -Marillac

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 12:58:15 AM »
We don’t have a chance at all -Marillac

This win opens the door slightly.
I still think it’s a fool’s errand to expect to dance.

The conference is too strong. We will win games if teams want to get dirty. We are too physically talented for that.

I thought Rutherford played extremely well tonight, but a good coach will take away his left and that won’t be a secret in conference play.

If you turn it into a half court game we can’t compete for 40 mins this year.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 01:06:38 AM »
This win opens the door slightly.
I still think it’s a fool’s errand to expect to dance.

The conference is too strong. We will win games if teams want to get dirty. We are too physically talented for that.

I thought Rutherford played extremely well tonight, but a good coach will take away his left and that won’t be a secret in conference play.

If you turn it into a half court game we can’t compete for 40 mins this year.

It's more than slightly.

WVU and Arizona are two very big wins and most likely both those teams will be in.

If we go .500 in conference I think we are in. I think that's pretty attainable.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 01:11:21 AM »
We'll see.  It's been a pleasant surprise to date.  I'll take it one game at a time.  We are winning differently than we did with the last two coaches. 

It's more than slightly.

WVU and Arizona are two very big wins and most likely both those teams will be in.

If we go .500 in conference I think we are in. I think that's pretty attainable.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 01:11:47 AM »
This San Francisco treat certainly is an expectation changer.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 01:16:21 AM »
The butler game is turning into the perfect situation. Great team by the numbers but not exactly a world beater talent wise. Someone we can expect to be in the game with on our home court. Win there and then we can really start talking.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 01:19:18 AM »
This San Francisco treat certainly is an expectation changer.
Not many people in the arena.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 01:24:51 AM »
Fans should show up next week.  These kids deserve it.

The butler game is turning into the perfect situation. Great team by the numbers but not exactly a world beater talent wise. Someone we can expect to be in the game with on our home court. Win there and then we can really start talking.

goredmen

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 01:25:20 AM »
This team's range is so wide for the rest of the season. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at anything between 6-12 and 11-7. I can't remember a SJU team with this big of a range in my mind.

If we can get 10 more wins between the regular season and BET it's gonna be awfully hard to keep us out. The Big East is going to get a ton of respect come March in large part because of the monster wins the league picked up this past week.

SHU won @Maryland
Nova over Kansas
Butler over Purdue on a neutral
Creighton over Oklahoma and Arizona State
Even Providence crushed Texas

Certainly unlikely, but not completely out of the realm of possibilities that the league sneaks 8 teams in.

Rodman

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 02:06:53 AM »
There are no gimmes in the Big East this year.  Depaul is no longer a gimme and Providence showed what they are capable of today with a big win against 9-1 Texas.  St John's will win their share of games but its going to be a battle night in and night out.

I was very impressed with the win tonight.  But, this team still has holes.  Free throw shooting late almost lost them the game and they aren't very good in the half court.  Hopefully Heron can help in this area when he comes back.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 03:03:22 AM »
It's more than slightly.

From what I saw of Arizona tonight I would be surprised if they made it as an at large team. We shot 25% in the second half and they still couldn’t pull it out. Arizona State looked more complete and even they’ve lost two games to Big East schools. The Pac12 has been awful for three years now.

.500 in the Big East will be a tall task and I don’t think that gets us in anyway. I think last place is still very much in play.

Tha Kid

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 06:16:45 AM »
From what I saw of Arizona tonight I would be surprised if they made it as an at large team. We shot 25% in the second half and they still couldn’t pull it out. Arizona State looked more complete and even they’ve lost two games to Big East schools. The Pac12 has been awful for three years now.

.500 in the Big East will be a tall task and I don’t think that gets us in anyway. I think last place is still very much in play.

Are you afraid of success, man? - Mr. potter to George Bailey

Marillac, we are beating good teams and making them look bad.  It’s ok to admit MA is doing a great job w this team.

I agree last place is still in play...but with these wins if we win 10 more games (which is really what going .500 is if you count BET) we are in given how strong big East is. C’mon - 21 wins including Arizona on road and WV at home? That would almost definitely do it barring something crazy.
"I drink and I know things"

Johnny23

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 07:27:15 AM »
The Big East is extremely deep this year as I've been saying since game 1. The difference between 1-10 in the league is as small as it's ever been.

We're going to lose a few we should win but that's typical in-conference chaos. We have an outside shot of dancing. 9-9 probably gets us in.

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 08:57:39 AM »
St. John's will dance this year, a strong conference an the Johnnies will win there share. .

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 09:06:57 AM »

They are a very good and complete team that will be dancing. Didn't look ready for the pressure we put on them. I think if game was 5 min longer we probably lose by 10.

wpc77

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 09:09:48 AM »
They are a very good and complete team that will be dancing. Didn't look ready for the pressure we put on them. I think if game was 5 min longer we probably lose by 10.

Agreed.  They were caught off guard by our pace of play and got disjointed.  But that was a very good team. Obvious to anyone who has seen any of their others games.

Poison

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 09:30:17 AM »
Figures that St.John’s settles for Mike Anderson and he’s the best coach they’ve hired in 60 years.

Johnny23

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 10:42:22 AM »
Figures that St.John’s settles for Mike Anderson and he’s the best coach they’ve hired in 60 years.

Not bad for "CTC"  ;D

ras

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 10:46:58 AM »
Dancing is imp
Dancing is improbable. That said , if we beat Butler ,I will change my tune.