Game #15: @Xavier 1/5 430P FOX

• 161 replies

Marillac

Re: Game #15: @Xavier 1/5 430P FOX
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 09:55:01 PM »
Mullin failed totally as a coach. Anderson has been good everywhere

Child-like and provably false response. Mullin made the tournament in his fourth year at St. John’s. Thst is a big achievement at lowly St. John’s. Anderson missed it last year in his 8th season at Arkansas—his 5th miss there. That is more misses than any coach in several decades at Arkansas. By comparison, Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson only missed a combined 5 in 27 consecutive years coaches there.

Anderson’s replacement after being shitcanned, as Tony D likes to describe it, is 11-1 and ranked #20 in the country. Arkansas just beat one-loss Indiana in its last game That’s quite a year for a team that meets the “rebuilding” standards set forth by a pair of our resident nice persons.

HKD

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 10:56:42 PM »
Child-like and provably false response. Mullin made the tournament in his fourth year at St. John’s. Thst is a big achievement at lowly St. John’s. Anderson missed it last year in his 8th season at Arkansas—his 5th miss there. That is more misses than any coach in several decades at Arkansas. By comparison, Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson only missed a combined 5 in 27 consecutive years coaches there.

Anderson’s replacement after being shitcanned, as Tony D likes to describe it, is 11-1 and ranked #20 in the country. Arkansas just beat one-loss Indiana in its last game That’s quite a year for a team that meets the “rebuilding” standards set forth by a pair of our resident nice persons.

Mullin was an awful in game coach, but landed some talent and he let them work and it got SJU in tournament.  The talent on this years team is lacking compared to last couple so direct comparisons will be hard.  One thing I like about Anderson is he has a style and a plan and goes with it.  It's not perfect... but I do think it works well with certain players and he can make it work if he can a few NYC kids home especially if they end up a second tier type.  As for his work at Arkansas, like his style of play it had some good highs and low lows.  I do think this year that team will level out as SOS has not been much and IU is not a good team.  Will be at the Maryland/IU game this weekend actually. 

Either way... I think it was time for a change and see where it goes.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2020, 01:54:54 AM »
Mullin was an awful in game coach, but landed some talent and he let them work and it got SJU in tournament.  The talent on this years team is lacking compared to last couple so direct comparisons will be hard.  One thing I like about Anderson is he has a style and a plan and goes with it.  It's not perfect... but I do think it works well with certain players and he can make it work if he can a few NYC kids home especially if they end up a second tier type.  As for his work at Arkansas, like his style of play it had some good highs and low lows.  I do think this year that team will level out as SOS has not been much and IU is not a good team.  Will be at the Maryland/IU game this weekend actually. 

Either way... I think it was time for a change and see where it goes.

I never argued Mullin was even good. I don’t push back when posters say Anderson is good. I push back when these idiots have to go to extremes on everything. Mullin wasn’t awful. Norm was. Mullin made the tournament after inheriting the worst returning roster in the history of the program.

Anderson is as good as we can hope for at St. John’s in this era—buy make no mistake, he will be chased out after his honeymoon is over because of these unrealistic expectations. Our fans were over the moon with Lavin the first two years.

He’s a flawed coach, but he has had decades of lessons that he’s learned from and he knows exactly what he needs. There is value in that.

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 11:04:27 AM »

Arkansas is not #20 in the Country, they have played one team all year in the Top 100, which is Indiana, and Indiana is really not very good. St Johns has played 4, and won 2. You just make up stuff all the time. And Arkansas was the youngest team in the Country last year with 4 Freshman playing big minutes and producing which led to a 18-15 season, and now this year they have matured and are playing even better.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 11:06:48 AM by BannerMountainMan »

HKD

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2020, 11:08:05 AM »
Arkansas is not #20 in the Country, they have played one team all year in the Top 100, which is Indiana, and Indiana is really not very good. St Johns has played 4, and won 2. You just make up stuff all the time. And Arkansas was the youngest team in the Country last year with 4 Freshman playing big minutes and producing which led to a 18-15 season, and now this year they have matured and are playing even better.

They are 26 in Net rankings..... but going into season if you showed anyone both rosters and said which new coach is walking into better place the answer was Arkansas.  Anderson has already done more with what he has than expected!

TONYD3

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »

You realize that this poster absolutely loves Chris mullin and stood up for him multiple times and gotten in multiple arguments in favor of him as a coach in the past.

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2020, 06:05:37 PM »
You realize that this poster absolutely loves Chris mullin
You realize that all St. John fans absolutely love Chris Mullin. Since this is a St. Johns basketball fan site - I'll just assume that all posters absolutely love Chris Mullin. Why else would they be here?

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2020, 06:10:46 PM »
You realize that all St. John fans absolutely love Chris Mullin. Since this is a St. Johns basketball fan site - I'll just assume that all posters absolutely love Chris Mullin. Why else would they be here?
You do realize that here is a difference between Mullin the player and Mullins the coach right? Love the player less than fond of the lazy assed coach.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 06:11:58 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 06:25:00 PM »
You do realize that here is a difference between Mullin the player and Mullins the coach right? Love the player less than fond of the lazy assed coach.
No I don't.  They are one and the same person.  Any St. John's fan worth his salt would have given him a lifetime pass as I have. He's done that much for the program to earn it.

goredmen

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 07:09:44 PM »
Think we'll be about 8 point dogs in this one.

Opened at 7.5

HKD

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2020, 08:17:41 PM »
Heron is back......

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2020, 10:51:22 PM »
No I don't.  They are one and the same person.  Any St. John's fan worth his salt would have given him a lifetime pass as I have. He's done that much for the program to earn it.
You also don't read your messages. Sorry I'm an adult and no one gets a lifetime pass when they lay down on the job and don't even put in minimal effort. Wasn't fair to the players let alone the fans.

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2020, 12:09:13 AM »
You also don't read your messages. Sorry I'm an adult and no one gets a lifetime pass when they lay down on the job and don't even put in minimal effort. Wasn't fair to the players let alone the fans.
If Babe Ruth coached the Yankees and it didn't turn out as well as some fans expected, they shouldn't say boo about because of what he meant to the franchise.  Same if Jordan coached the Bulls or Gretsky coached the Oilers. If Mullin's coaching record was 0 and every game the fans should have just shut up about it because of what he's done for the program.  Let alone build the worst team in school history into an Ncaa tournament team.

Yes, I'm old and old school. Loyalty is an important character trait to me and one I value and am proud to display. Turncoat fans and posters?  Not so much.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:10:53 AM by carmineabbatiello »

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2020, 03:08:09 AM »
You realize that this poster absolutely loves Chris mullin and stood up for him multiple times and gotten in multiple arguments in favor of him as a coach in the past.

I could see how an idiot like you would think Marillac “absolutely loves Chris Mullin” despite the fact that the biggest compliment ever given to him was that he was probably a little below average.

Idiots need things simplified into black and white. One or the other. Mullin awful. Anderson hero. Tony D stupid. 

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2020, 09:32:09 AM »
I wonder how the combination of Roberts, Earlington and/or Steere will handle Jones. I especially want to see what Earlington is capable of defensively against Jones. 

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2020, 09:42:35 AM »
Tough game. Preseason I had Xavier winning the big east

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2020, 11:09:46 AM »
Heron is back......
Hope he lets the game come to him, v trying to take on Xavier himself. I hope we don't see a lot of forced shots, 1 on 3 drives, etc.

goredmen

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2020, 11:42:58 AM »
Tough game. Preseason I had Xavier winning the big east

Damn. No point in watching this one now.

TONYD3

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2020, 12:06:05 PM »
I could see how an idiot like you would think Marillac “absolutely loves Chris Mullin” despite the fact that the biggest compliment ever given to him was that he was probably a little below average.

Idiots need things simplified into black and white. One or the other. Mullin awful. Anderson hero. Tony D stupid. 
Guy you lost the argument. Now your calling names. I assume that’s why Foady isn’t allowed here any more.
I never called the hero a bad coach. I said he was lazy and didn’t do his job. He was not a bad coach. He didn’t coach. He was not a bad recruiter. He didn’t recruit. If you payed the slightest attention you would have saw that. My opinion was not that he was lazy. Your neighbor’s, sister’s , cousin’s boy friend could have easily have  figured it out. It was a fact.
20-59 was not only earned, he was lucky to get there. Yesterday you said norm lucked into mason. Your boy had 2 5 star players, ponds, Lovett, Yakwe, and plenty of of other high 3 star players. Out of 59 losses 40 probably weren’t even close. That is not below average.
Back to the topic of Xavier. Lavin did fine against them. So will Anderson. Mullin was 0-9. Their is no middle ground 1 guy sucked.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:37:10 PM by TONYD3 »

goredmen

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2020, 04:10:43 PM »
Vikings/Saints going to OT on Fox. Great