Ceiling of this Team Now that We Have Begun BE Play

• 145 replies
Re: Ceiling of this Team Now that We Have Begun BE Play
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2020, 07:08:00 PM »
Roberts current listed weight is the same out of HS and he gets pushed around rather easily. He may look stronger to you but nothing suggests that he is.

What skill set of Earlington took the largest leap that you are referring to? It’s not his ball handling, shooting, or passing. He’s in better condition and lost weight which should make him faster. He showed his toughness last year but couldn’t make any 3’s so he was relegated to the bench. New coach, different philosophy, better results.

I didn't realize we were competing on Weight Watchers. Muscle weighs more than fat. He is noticeably more muscular and he's navigating the paint with more ease this year. Can he continue to get strong, of course but he's made nice strides in his sophomore season.

Earlington has more refined moves attacking the basket. You can tell he's gotten a lot of reps in because he looks in control and finishes. He's still a really raw player but this was the risk taking him. High upside
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2020, 07:17:51 PM »
Dave you make it sound like the last staff didn’t have the option of you know, going out and recruiting against other schools for kids.

I'm pretty versed in the recruiting landscape. I'm familiar with the players and with the coaches. Of course there are still plenty of players I don't know but realistically who was out there? We were scraping at the bottom of the barrel to get Earlington and Roberts. It was an extremely thin class.

Greg Williams 155
Ian Steere 139
Marcellus Earlington 269
Josh Roberts 272

I tried to get the staff to recruit Emmitt Matthews Jr on WVU and his teammate Erik Stevenson who's at Wichita St. but I don't think either of them make a big impact freshman year.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2020, 07:23:17 PM »
Darius Days on LSU was another guy I really wanted. I think the staff could and should have been all over him from the start. He wasn't getting much interest and pretty much just fell in LSU lap.

So if you want to throw some blame there that's one name I can agree on.

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2020, 07:23:29 PM »
I'm pretty versed in the recruiting landscape. I'm familiar with the players and with the coaches. Of course there are still plenty of players I don't know but realistically who was out there? We were scraping at the bottom of the barrel to get Earlington and Roberts. It was an extremely thin class.

Greg Williams 155
Ian Steere 139
Marcellus Earlington 269
Josh Roberts 272

I tried to get the staff to recruit Emmitt Matthews Jr on WVU and his teammate Erik Stevenson who's at Wichita St. but I don't think either of them make a big impact freshman year.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Point is, you tried to suggest they would be taking a juco that no one else took. Or they could have done their homework, busted their asses, and recruited some that were worth being recruited.

Btw, wasn’t Roberts a Fall recruit? Not a scrap they picked up late.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2020, 07:24:37 PM »
Also Luther Muhammed kind of disrupted the plans too. He was committed until he wasn't.

TONYD3

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2020, 07:25:49 PM »
So Rutherford was a grad transfer so that's much different than a JUCO. There are so many factors of consideration here from skill to academics.

So lets take JUCO that no other team in D1 took last year and keep him on this team for 2 years or have a top 100 kid in hs sit a year, practice with team / know scheme, and come in ready when we're expected to lose 2-3 starters.
Again they tried and it didn’t work. Didn’t come close to working. Simon 5 star was worth it.
Clarke May have been a starter. But he shouldn’t have been. He had no position and couldn’t guard anyone at the big east level. ( I know you like him) like mussini he accumulated stats against bad teams.

Someone recruited last year should have been able to help. The fact that the last staff struck out is another reason why they aren’t here anymore. You can’t win with 4 good players, Clarke, and an awful Trimble.

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »
Point is, you tried to suggest they would be taking a juco that no one else took. Or they could have done their homework, busted their asses, and recruited some that were worth being recruited.

Btw, wasn’t Roberts a Fall recruit? Not a scrap they picked up late.

I'm not sure when he committed but it was after J'Raan Brooks decommitted.

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2020, 07:31:05 PM »
Again they tried and it didn’t work. Didn’t come close to working. Simon 5 star was worth it.
Clarke May have been a starter. But he shouldn’t have been. He had no position and couldn’t guard anyone at the big east level. ( I know you like him) like mussini he accumulated stats against bad teams.

Someone recruited last year should have been able to help. The fact that the last staff struck out is another reason why they aren’t here anymore. You can’t win with 4 good players, Clarke, and an awful Trimble.

We should have done everything possible to keep Owens and Dixon then we would have been Big East champs and Sweet 16 team.

Sean McDermott on Butler couldn't guard a rock a freshman or sophomore year. He's a senior now and Butler is #4 team in country. Returning players is essential.

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2020, 07:34:26 PM »
I'm not sure when he committed but it was after J'Raan Brooks decommitted.

Not true. Roberts signed fall of ‘17. Brooks decommited winter ‘18.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2020, 07:37:34 PM »
We should have done everything possible to keep Owens and Dixon then we would have been Big East champs and Sweet 16 team.

Sean McDermott on Butler couldn't guard a rock a freshman or sophomore year. He's a senior now and Butler is #4 team in country. Returning players is essential.
I don’t believe that. Neither did Tariq, neither did tariq’s dad.
What did Dixion do in his 8 minutes (2 scholarship years) that would have led you to believe that he was a big east player?

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2020, 07:42:11 PM »
I don’t believe that. Neither did Tariq, neither did tariq’s dad.
What did Dixion do in his 8 minutes (2 scholarship years) that would have led you to believe that he was a big east player?

I can't keep up man. You win. You're the next head coach of St. John's. Good luck.

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2020, 07:48:05 PM »
Not true. Roberts signed fall of ‘17. Brooks decommited winter ‘18.

My memory was foggy looks like you're right.

Roberts Fall '17
Brooks decommits from USC
Commits Dec '17 then decommits sometime after

goredmen

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2020, 07:58:18 PM »

Yeah but Butler was picked to finish 8th in the conference. They stink.

TONYD3

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2020, 08:10:44 PM »
I can't keep up man. You win. You're the next head coach of St. John's. Good luck.
Sorry I was bored

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2020, 09:46:39 PM »
Yeah but Butler was picked to finish 8th in the conference. They stink.

No one ever used the word stink or anything negative regarding Butler. 10th place in the Big East is a good team.

The point has always been that they were projected to be 8th best team which means the road ahead for St. John's is not looking good. It doesn't get easier if you can't beat the projected 8th best team in the conference at home. **still get a slight pass for no Heron

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2020, 09:47:03 PM »
Sorry I was bored

lol fairest thing you said all day

SJUFAN

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2020, 09:48:40 PM »
He’s heavier and stronger. He’s also better. Stop being so stupid.

If his listed weight today is the same out of HS then he is not heavier.

Bottom line is if he was used in the same fashion last year he would have performed the same during our non conference schedule. With his athleticism he can be successful against lower level athletes. He’s not going to average 8 boards a game during conference play.

We’ll be lucky if Roberts averages 4 boards a game during conference play.

Marillac

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2020, 10:01:08 PM »
If his listed weight today is the same out of HS then he is not heavier.

Bottom line is if he was used in the same fashion last year he would have performed the same during our non conference schedule. With his athleticism he can be successful against lower level athletes. He’s not going to average 8 boards a game during conference play.

We’ll be lucky if Roberts averages 4 boards a game during conference play.

Have you ever given a height and weight to the SJU athletic department for a roster? I have. It’s not Alabama. They don’t have a scale or measuring tape. They give you literally hours to get in before the media guide deadline and if you don’t respond it’s the same size as your frehman year. I had a teammate listed at 210 when he was 250.

If you can’t see the difference in his strength and his play then you need to stop posting. I loved Roberts last year. Check the posts and find me one negative comment. He was too frail but his potential was obvious.

You are one of six idiots that make this forum unreadable. Cut the sh*t already and stop dealing on absolutes like a child.

Sophomore big men are supposed to get much better than they were as freshman—that is especially true for raw players that haven’t been playing organized ball for long like Roberts.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 10:02:55 PM by Marillac »

goredmen

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2020, 10:38:37 PM »
No one ever used the word stink or anything negative regarding Butler. 10th place in the Big East is a good team.

The point has always been that they were projected to be 8th best team which means the road ahead for St. John's is not looking good. It doesn't get easier if you can't beat the projected 8th best team in the conference at home. **still get a slight pass for no Heron

Wonder if you'll ever answer the question I asked about 10 times. Guess not.

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2020, 10:56:15 PM »
Projections mean absolutely nothing, how many team are where they started or even close, hardly none. Projections have never meant anything. Anderson beat the SEC media projections all 8 years at Arkansas, it doesn’t mean jack squat.