Ceiling of this Team Now that We Have Begun BE Play

• 145 replies
Ceiling of this Team Now that We Have Begun BE Play
« on: January 02, 2020, 05:20:44 PM »
We have just entered Big East play. What are all your thoughts on our ceiling/predictions  of this team based on what we have shown so far this season? Will we have a respectable BE record this season or more of the same or somewhere in the middle?

I for one think we are going to have a solid run in BE play , will make NCAA tournament. I think in BE tournament we can win make a nice little run. Shame we dropped Butler but they are good ranked program and we played them tough.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 05:21:01 PM by friendofjohnnie »

TONYD3

Re: Ceiling of this Team Now that We Have Begun BE Play
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 05:35:54 PM »
I thought 6 wins before the season. I was hoping to be on NIT bubble. Today I saw on twitter that we were a projected 1 seed for NIT. I would be fine with that. I think .500 record in conference is possible.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 06:32:44 PM »
Ceiling 21-10 (10-8) conf with. 7-8 seed in NCAAT,
but I figure it’ll be 18-13 (7-10) in conf with a 2 or 3 seed in NIT

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 06:56:40 PM »
Ceiling 21-10 (10-8) conf with. 7-8 seed in NCAAT,
but I figure it’ll be 18-13 (7-10) in conf with a 2 or 3 seed in NIT

I am on same page with Banner...full disclosure-I’m a huge MA fan and also a St.Johns grad, which should at least buy me some street cred...
I thought if we could beat Butler our ceiling at best would be 11-7, so now I would have to say 10-8...I am praying for 9-9 because that gets us in tournament without a question...while I hope it doesn’t happen, if Heron and LJ don’t lead I could easily see 5-13/6-12....All the newbies have been outstanding, but in BE play we will need both to be much better...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 06:57:58 PM by Johnnies93!! »

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 07:10:02 PM »
Ceiling is about 10-8. I'd say most likely is 7-11 or 8-10. Probably a high NIT seed. Upside is sneak in to NCAA tourney and scare the hell out of some team in the first round. If we do Anderson wins BE COY.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 01:40:11 AM »
I am on same page with Banner...full disclosure-I’m a huge MA fan and also a St.Johns grad, which should at least buy me some street cred...
I thought if we could beat Butler our ceiling at best would be 11-7, so now I would have to say 10-8...I am praying for 9-9 because that gets us in tournament without a question...while I hope it doesn’t happen, if Heron and LJ don’t lead I could easily see 5-13/6-12....All the newbies have been outstanding, but in BE play we will need both to be much better...

You just showed up here. Curious timing for a graduate of 1993.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 01:41:41 AM »
Ceiling is about 10-8. I'd say most likely is 7-11 or 8-10. Probably a high NIT seed. Upside is sneak in to NCAA tourney and scare the hell out of some team in the first round. If we do Anderson wins BE COY.

Nothing like 20-win rebuilding teams baby!

Johnny23

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 08:04:39 AM »

It's amazing what good coaching can do.

QuanMan

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 09:45:35 AM »
Our magic number to dance is 10. I foresee getting in comfortably winning 10 conference games and 2 BET games. Normally this would be a hesitant prediction. Now that we have a HC who has this program prepared mentally and physically for every game that we've played in to date it leads me to think that we're going to scrap and claw our way to wins that we normally wouldn't deserve. If we avoid injury, our effort will have us dancing. 

Georgetown looks especially thin now, especially without McClung, who is due back this weekend. We should sweep them with our pressure and depth, I see us splitting with the rest of the league to be honest.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:20:44 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

TONYD3

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 09:47:26 AM »
Anderson Isn’t lucking into a 20 win team. Plenty of hard work and know how is getting him there.
You posted plenty of times that last years team had no bench. Now 8 months later all the 3 freshman that couldn’t play not only can play but are good?
This team with previous staff wins 3 conference games.

Johnny23

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 09:57:26 AM »
Our magic number to dance is 10. I foresee getting in comfortably winning 10 conference games and 2 BET games. Normally this would be a hesitant prediction. Now that we have a HC who has this program prepared mentally and physically for every game that we've played in to date it leads me to think that we're going to scrap and claw our way to wins that we normally wouldn't deserve. If we avoid injury, our effort will have us dancing. 

Georgetown looks especially thin now, especially without McClung, who is due back this weekend. We should split with them.

Very comfortably if we do that. That would put us at 23 wins overall. I think 21 wins and we get in. So that means 9-9 in BE and 1 BET win. If we go 8-10 in BE play and 1 BET win then I think we'll be squarely on the bubble.

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 12:48:27 PM »
If the 7th Cavalry Regiment had Napolean instead of Custer they would have won at Little Bighorn.

Can you see the ridiculousness of these asinine claims you make that can neither be proven or disproven?

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 02:02:56 AM »
It's amazing what good coaching can do.

That is exactly what Arkansas is saying after shitcanning Anderson last year. If only Arkansas was rebuilding last year!

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 02:03:52 AM »
Very comfortably if we do that. That would put us at 23 wins overall. I think 21 wins and we get in. So that means 9-9 in BE and 1 BET win. If we go 8-10 in BE play and 1 BET win then I think we'll be squarely on the bubble.

23 wins lolololololololololololol

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 02:08:34 AM »
Anderson Isn’t lucking into a 20 win team. Plenty of hard work and know how is getting him there.
You posted plenty of times that last years team had no bench. Now 8 months later all the 3 freshman that couldn’t play not only can play but are good?

I said last year that Roberts has an NBA ceiling, that Williams would likely be all-conference as an upperclassman, and that Earlington would be a productive player. The fact that they are better as sophs is not surprising.

YOU didn’t like Earlington when he was signed or as a freshman! Is this bizarro world?

Johnny23

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 08:57:21 AM »
23 wins lolololololololololololol

My post was in response to someone who thought we would win 23 games overall, Einstein. Even you can't be this dumb lololol.

Johnny23

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 08:58:06 AM »
That is exactly what Arkansas is saying after shitcanning Anderson last year. If only Arkansas was rebuilding last year!

It's possible for two programs to have good coaches. In this case SJU and Arky both benefitted.

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 11:55:37 AM »
I said last year that Roberts has an NBA ceiling, that Williams would likely be all-conference as an upperclassman, and that Earlington would be a productive player. The fact that they are better as sophs is not surprising.

YOU didn’t like Earlington when he was signed or as a freshman! Is this bizarro world?
I wasn’t against taking earlington because our team was so soft. He was a 0 star player with offers low offers. Last year he came in games and chucked 3’s. He showed nothing because he had no role and rarely played. Earlington is doing great in his current role as are the other 2. I kind of expected 1 or even all 3 to transfer.

Felix and amar are 2 of my least favorite players. But they were good athletes. Not saying they would have been good. But I think Anderson would have found a role for them. Amar certainly wouldn’t have come into games thinking he was a gunner.
I agree with you that the sophomores are perfect for Anderson’s system. Why did mullin recruit them? After 4 years I have no idea what he was trying to do. These are not skilled players. They are athletes.
You say so much it’s hard to keep everything straight. Maybe you did say positive things about the sophomores. But you certainly said multiple times they weren’t good enough to help last years team. “We had no bench”. The fact that your think (or you just post) that they are good is ridiculous. We were preseason 9th for a reason. I believe you predicted an under .500 overall record. Now all of sudden these low level recruits who did 0 last year are great?

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 01:58:54 PM »

Sometimes things do not work out the way they are supposed to despite good personnel and shake ups are needed and better fits are someplace else.

Did Buck Showalter gift wrap a dynasty to Joe Torre, or was Joe Torre the right fit to get the Yankees over the top by dealing with George. Same goes with Kerr and Jackson.

Anderson might be a better fit here because he has a chip on his shoulder along with an engaged and aggressive AD who wants to rebuild the Athletics Department in his bison and make a name for himself.

Also starting off with lower expectations than at Arkansas helps as well.
Cougar O' Malley

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 03:39:37 PM »
I wasn’t against taking earlington because our team was so soft. He was a 0 star player with offers low offers. Last year he came in games and chucked 3’s. He showed nothing because he had no role and rarely played. Earlington is doing great in his current role as are the other 2. I kind of expected 1 or even all 3 to transfer.

Felix and amar are 2 of my least favorite players. But they were good athletes. Not saying they would have been good. But I think Anderson would have found a role for them. Amar certainly wouldn’t have come into games thinking he was a gunner.
I agree with you that the sophomores are perfect for Anderson’s system. Why did mullin recruit them? After 4 years I have no idea what he was trying to do. These are not skilled players. They are athletes.
You say so much it’s hard to keep everything straight. Maybe you did say positive things about the sophomores. But you certainly said multiple times they weren’t good enough to help last years team. “We had no bench”. The fact that your think (or you just post) that they are good is ridiculous. We were preseason 9th for a reason. I believe you predicted an under .500 overall record. Now all of sudden these low level recruits who did 0 last year are great?

Amar was a good athlete?! He was one of the worst athletes we’ve had here. Are you serious?

I never said they weren’t “good enough” to help last year’s team, I said they weren’t ready to give much more. I’d never play freshmen big minutes if I had that luxury.

Earlington was behind all of his peers because of the hours he sacrificed at the second highest ranked high school football program in the country. Roberts was too frail. He was pushed around routinely even while showing flashes of athletic brilliance and a nose for the ball.

Why did Mullin recruit those guys and Steere? I believe he was learning from his past mistakes. You will never open your mind enough to accept that though.