Ceiling of this Team Now that We Have Begun BE Play

• 145 replies

Marillac

Re: Ceiling of this Team Now that We Have Begun BE Play
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 03:43:31 PM »
Sometimes things do not work out the way they are supposed to despite good personnel and shake ups are needed and better fits are someplace else.

Did Buck Showalter gift wrap a dynasty to Joe Torre, or was Joe Torre the right fit to get the Yankees over the top by dealing with George. Same goes with Kerr and Jackson.

Anderson might be a better fit here because he has a chip on his shoulder along with an engaged and aggressive AD who wants to rebuild the Athletics Department in his bison and make a name for himself.

Also starting off with lower expectations than at Arkansas helps as well.

I am happy he’s here. I hope he’s here for 15 more years. I just wrote above that he’s the best we can hope for. But he’s flawed and to not acknowledge that and act like Mullin was awful and he’s a savior is childish.

Read the Arkansas forums. He was not well liked for a guy with his resume. Arkansas upgraded big time with Musselman and their fans are ecstatic.

HKD

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2020, 03:56:22 PM »
I am happy he’s here. I hope he’s here for 15 more years. I just wrote above that he’s the best we can hope for. But he’s flawed and to not acknowledge that and act like Mullin was awful and he’s a savior is childish.

Read the Arkansas forums. He was not well liked for a guy with his resume. Arkansas upgraded big time with Musselman and their fans are ecstatic.

Check back with those Arkansas fans in 2 years.... they did not upgrade, but not SJU problem either. 

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2020, 03:58:57 PM »
Anderson was very well liked, that’s why there are so many Hog fans rooting for St. John’s now, he just couldn’t get it done, was way to comfortable, had his nephew, best friend and a dude that worked as a GA for him work his way up, CMA was way to loyal to them and wouldn’t fire them, and for the first time ever Anderson has a real staff on board, and hopefully Demeo stays, he’s too good of a coach to be an assistant coach, I guess he was just ready to come home. But their was half of the fan base that did not like Anderson at all because he would not recruit a white guy, and the ending with Nolan in the early 2000’s which was a mess and they just wanted street ball gone at Ark and most called him racist because of that, and which now he is starting Caraher for some reason which idk is the reason.

SJUFAN

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 04:02:28 PM »
It's amazing what good coaching can do.

This concept is lost on some.

SJUFAN

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2020, 04:12:32 PM »
I said last year that Roberts has an NBA ceiling, that Williams would likely be all-conference as an upperclassman, and that Earlington would be a productive player. The fact that they are better as sophs is not surprising.

YOU didn’t like Earlington when he was signed or as a freshman! Is this bizarro world?

They are not “better” as sophs, they are being used! Period. Roberts and Earlington has zero offensive game. They could have been equally as productive last year if used the way Anderson is using them. This is what good coaching looks like. We had such a good deep team last year and only won 7 BE games. We should have swept Xavier last year.

TONYD3

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 04:12:33 PM »
Amar was a good athlete?! He was one of the worst athletes we’ve had here. Are you serious?

I never said they weren’t “good enough” to help last year’s team, I said they weren’t ready to give much more. I’d never play freshmen big minutes if I had that luxury.

Earlington was behind all of his peers because of the hours he sacrificed at the second highest ranked high school football program in the country. Roberts was too frail. He was pushed around routinely even while showing flashes of athletic brilliance and a nose for the ball.

Why did Mullin recruit those guys and Steere? I believe he was learning from his past mistakes. You will never open your mind enough to accept that though.
You are 10 times the debater that Chris mullin was the coach. He should have put you on staff. The problem is you have a terrible hand to play.
Last season instead of filling out his roster. Your hero rostered 3 freshman that you say couldn’t help. 3 sit out transfers that certainly couldn’t help. And disgruntled Mikey Dixon and keita. You are saying that coach Mullin learned a lesson? You need to quit this argument. Either jump on the Anderson bandwagon or go back to hibernation. Your boy was the emptiness suit in sports history.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 04:14:06 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2020, 06:20:07 PM »
They could have been equally as productive last year if used the way Anderson is using them. 
Bull sh*te.  They sucked and weren't ready.

SJUFAN

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2020, 09:42:13 PM »
Bull sh*te.  They sucked and weren't ready.

You don’t know basketball so you shouldn’t comment on it. What is Anderson asking of them that they couldn’t do last year? Mullin valued offense and wanted to out score the opposing team. He didn’t value offensive rebounding.

SJUFAN

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 10:01:43 PM »
But he’s flawed and to not acknowledge that and act like Mullin was awful and he’s a savior is childish.

Anderson is flawed. Coach Mullin was awful.

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 10:11:28 PM »
You don’t know basketball so you shouldn’t comment on it. What is Anderson asking of them that they couldn’t do last year? Mullin valued offense and wanted to out score the opposing team. He didn’t value offensive rebounding.
You wrote this: "They could have been EQUALLY as productive last year if used the way Anderson is using them."

An overwhelming majority of basketball players in the world are better as sophomores than as freshmen. I guess it's possible that these two are rare exceptions. Almost every time they saw the court last year they played so bad that they had to pulled.   

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2020, 10:12:45 PM »
Anderson is flawed. Coach Mullin was awful.
We don't know what Anderson is. He's coached 1 conference game.

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2020, 03:31:53 AM »
This concept is lost on some.

Replying to yourself on your other handle, eh?

SJUFAN

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2020, 03:21:54 PM »
You wrote this: "They could have been EQUALLY as productive last year if used the way Anderson is using them."

An overwhelming majority of basketball players in the world are better as sophomores than as freshmen. I guess it's possible that these two are rare exceptions. Almost every time they saw the court last year they played so bad that they had to pulled.   

Can you stop making general statements and give an assessment of what is actually in front of you? This is what makes having discussions on here so painful.

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 11:24:26 AM »
Can you stop making general statements and give an assessment of what is actually in front of you? This is what makes having discussions on here so painful.
Here is my assessment. The returning trio that aren't 2nd team all conference players as a whole are playing more and better this year than last.

Earlington and Roberts clearly better and Williams maybe about the same in more minutes. Is it due to better coaching or natural maturation? IDK.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 11:26:01 AM by carmineabbatiello »

TONYD3

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2020, 11:39:17 AM »
Here is my assessment. The returning trio that aren't 2nd team all conference players as a whole are playing more and better this year than last.

Earlington and Roberts clearly better and Williams maybe about the same in more minutes. Is it due to better coaching or natural maturation? IDK.
Hardy and brownlee were bench players under norm. Given an OPPORTUNITY, hardy was 1st team all league. If brownlee didn’t make any of the all conference teams it was close.

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2020, 03:23:29 PM »
Hardy and brownlee were bench players under norm. Given an OPPORTUNITY, hardy was 1st team all league. If brownlee didn’t make any of the all conference teams it was close.
Good post Tony.  You make salient points and there is not one lie in it. 

Hollywood giving Hardy and Brownlee more minutes was an important factor in the success of that season.

It is a legitimate gripe against Coach Mullin that he did not try to get minutes for his young players that had some size when the team was obviously so lacking in that area. Especially early in the season when they were blowing out non-conference teams.

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2020, 03:33:02 PM »
Good post Tony.  You make salient points and there is not one lie in it. 

Hollywood giving Hardy and Brownlee more minutes was an important factor in the success of that season.

It is a legitimate gripe against Coach Mullin that he did not try to get minutes for his young players that had some size when the team was obviously so lacking in that area. Especially early in the season when they were blowing out non-conference teams.
What about the fact that coach mullin has 3 sit out transfers last year. That’s 6 roster spots where you get next to nothing from. Then you add in 1 star Mikey Dixion who quit the team. That’s 7 guys. Abe keita wasn’t great or even good. They got next to nothing from him That’s 8. What kind of coach goes into a season down 8 players?

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »
You are 10 times the debater that Chris mullin was the coach. He should have put you on staff. The problem is you have a terrible hand to play.
Last season instead of filling out his roster. Your hero rostered 3 freshman that you say couldn’t help. 3 sit out transfers that certainly couldn’t help. And disgruntled Mikey Dixon and keita. You are saying that coach Mullin learned a lesson? You need to quit this argument. Either jump on the Anderson bandwagon or go back to hibernation. Your boy was the emptiness suit in sports history.

Tony where in the world are you getting 3 players to immediately contribute from?

Roberts was a great get an we were scraping at the bottom of the barrel when we got him.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 03:49:05 PM »
What about the fact that coach mullin has 3 sit out transfers last year. That’s 6 roster spots where you get next to nothing from. Then you add in 1 star Mikey Dixion who quit the team. That’s 7 guys. Abe keita wasn’t great or even good. They got next to nothing from him That’s 8. What kind of coach goes into a season down 8 players?
It is also a legitimate gripe against Mullin, which I've mentioned many times, that we didn't have a full enough roster to compliment the talented players that we did have.

This was a glaring weakness in season 3, when Marcus took his ball and went home ruining our good chance at a bid, and in season 4 when we had a junior all-time Johnny great in Walden at the helm. It didn't make a difference in season 1 and 2 when we had no hope and lineups that John Wooden couldn't have won with.

TONYD3

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2020, 03:59:26 PM »
Tony where in the world are you getting 3 players to immediately contribute from?

Roberts was a great get an we were scraping at the bottom of the barrel when we got him.
What you can’t have is players transferring out at the rate he lost players. Ownes, Yakwe, Lovett, Dixion in 1 year. Can’t compete that way.
Transfer U doesn’t work either. Simon was the only player worth the effort. You can’t waste years of scholarships on role players, like keita, Dixon, Cain, caraher, and the Michigan state player.
Their was no reason to play short handed like that.