Ceiling of this Team Now that We Have Begun BE Play

• 145 replies

Marillac

Re: Ceiling of this Team Now that We Have Begun BE Play
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2020, 03:59:51 PM »
Check back with those Arkansas fans in 2 years.... they did not upgrade, but not SJU problem either. 

If you don’t think Musselman is a huge upgrade over Anderson then you just don’t know much about basketball.

If your point is that he will be so good that he will move on it two years then I might agree with you.

TONYD3

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2020, 04:06:34 PM »
It is also a legitimate gripe against Mullin, which I've mentioned many times, that we didn't have a full enough roster to compliment the talented players that we did have.

This was a glaring weakness in season 3, when Marcus took his ball and went home ruining our good chance at a bid, and in season 4 when we had a junior all-time Johnny great in Walden at the helm. It didn't make a difference in season 1 and 2 when we had no hope and lineups that John Wooden couldn't have won with.
Now what about his absolutely awful coaching staff? The first thing he should have done was hire an experienced assistant. That’s what Ewing did. That’s what juwan Howard did. That’s what anyone in their right mind would have done. St. Jean really tried but for the million and umpteenth time he was over his head. Mitch was a disgrace.
Have I lied yet carmine? Is 20-59 starting to make sense yet?

TONYD3

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2020, 04:10:46 PM »
If you don’t think Musselman is a huge upgrade over Anderson then you just don’t know much about basketball.

If your point is that he will be so good that he will move on it two years then I might agree with you.
Not messing with you why do you say that?  His offense the last 2 years were Letting the twins do as they pleased. The players were that good. Especially vs that competition.
I have no idea what he he did in the NBA.

SJUFAN

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2020, 04:13:21 PM »
Here is my assessment. The returning trio that aren't 2nd team all conference players as a whole are playing more and better this year than last.

Earlington and Roberts clearly better and Williams maybe about the same in more minutes. Is it due to better coaching or natural maturation? IDK.

Clearly better in what aspect? Your just basing it off of stats. You don’t think Roberts could have grabbed 8 rebounds a game in 25 minutes last year against Wagner, St. Frances, or Sacred freaking Heart! He isn’t any more athletic this year! He didn’t put on any more weight! He didn’t develop a jumper! He is the same player as last year who will not see the same production during BE play with better competition.

Anderson got Earlington into shape, doesn’t allow him to shoot 3’s and gives him more minutes but his game is the same.

Johnny23

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2020, 04:29:10 PM »
Meanwhile Butler moved up to #6 in the country this week all while some know nothings on here claimed they weren't deserving of being the #11 team in the country. Those know nothings were right. Butler was ranked too low and the pollsters moved them up.

SJUFAN

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »

The question is if you don’t believe Anderson is a huge upgrade over Mullin then you don’t know basketball. His pro style (on and off the court) was not going to be successful.

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2020, 04:50:46 PM »
What you can’t have is players transferring out at the rate he lost players. Ownes, Yakwe, Lovett, Dixion in 1 year. Can’t compete that way.
Transfer U doesn’t work either. Simon was the only player worth the effort. You can’t waste years of scholarships on role players, like keita, Dixon, Cain, caraher, and the Michigan state player.
Their was no reason to play short handed like that.

I agree in two parts.

1. I've said this previously we didn't do a good enough job of re-recruiting our guys to stay. Every player has shortcomings but I would have taken Mussini as a junior and senior or Yakwe or Owens etc. We said see ya way too quick. I also think this stemmed from not having an assistant dedicated to the day to day lives of these players for it to ever get that bad.

2. We became too transient. I'm a proponent of transfers because they help scholarship balance and are impact ready players however as an ingredient they should be the sprinkles not the batter

Where I disagree with you is I think it's absolutely fine to use a transfer on a role player for example David Caraher. You get him a year to develop (basically like a redshirt) and he's not there to complain about playing time. Again like all players he has shortcomings but for a sophomore I like his presence on the team. I think our floor has risen and that was due to Mullin staff.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

TONYD3

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2020, 05:10:33 PM »
I agree in two parts.

1. I've said this previously we didn't do a good enough job of re-recruiting our guys to stay. Every player has shortcomings but I would have taken Mussini as a junior and senior or Yakwe or Owens etc. We said see ya way too quick. I also think this stemmed from not having an assistant dedicated to the day to day lives of these players for it to ever get that bad.

2. We became too transient. I'm a proponent of transfers because they help scholarship balance and are impact ready players however as an ingredient they should be the sprinkles not the batter

Where I disagree with you is I think it's absolutely fine to use a transfer on a role player for example David Caraher. You get him a year to develop (basically like a redshirt) and he's not there to complain about playing time. Again like all players he has shortcomings but for a sophomore I like his presence on the team. I think our floor has risen and that was due to Mullin staff.
If a coaching staff likes a Dave caraher. Then sign him and develop him. I have no problem with that.
But you can’t sign him, Steere, and Eli all the same season. We could have had a special season last year.

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2020, 05:14:01 PM »
Clearly better in what aspect? Your just basing it off of stats. You don’t think Roberts could have grabbed 8 rebounds a game in 25 minutes last year against Wagner, St. Frances, or Sacred freaking Heart! He isn’t any more athletic this year! He didn’t put on any more weight! He didn’t develop a jumper! He is the same player as last year who will not see the same production during BE play with better competition.

Anderson got Earlington into shape, doesn’t allow him to shoot 3’s and gives him more minutes but his game is the same.

Roberts looks a lot stronger this year vs last.

I think Earlington took largest leap in terms of skill.

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2020, 05:15:28 PM »
If a coaching staff likes a Dave caraher. Then sign him and develop him. I have no problem with that.
But you can’t sign him, Steere, and Eli all the same season. We could have had a special season last year.

Steere was here after school started.

Who are you getting on this team in September?!? Also what recruit would you have signed over Eli? I just don't think there was anyone you could have got.

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2020, 05:26:54 PM »
Meanwhile Butler moved up to #6 in the country this week all while some know nothings on here claimed they weren't deserving of being the #11 team in the country. Those know nothings were right. Butler was ranked too low and the pollsters moved them up.

I'm not sure if this message is directed at anyone in particular but again lets remember the difference between rankings and projections.

Projections is where you are expected to finish.

Rankings is where you are based on your results to date.

They were always considered a very good team but thought to be a bottom half team in conference.

TONYD3

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2020, 05:31:00 PM »
Steere was here after school started.

Who are you getting on this team in September?!? Also what recruit would you have signed over Eli? I just don't think there was anyone you could have got.

Could have gotten a juco PG and and juco big. Rutherford and sears like players could have helped last year.

Johnny23

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2020, 05:46:26 PM »
I'm not sure if this message is directed at anyone in particular but again lets remember the difference between rankings and projections.

Projections is where you are expected to finish.

Rankings is where you are based on your results to date.

They were always considered a very good team but thought to be a bottom half team in conference.

I get that but I have to question any metric (including human factor) that was used to have projected them as a bottom half BE team (#8 preseason?) while at the same time being considered a very good team on a national level (Top 35 according to KenPom preseason). Regardless they're a legit Top 25 tourney team this year.

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2020, 05:49:10 PM »
Still predicted as an 11 seed in Fox College Hoops playing Colorado. BIG. WEEK. AHEAD.

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2020, 06:22:27 PM »
I get that but I have to question any metric (including human factor) that was used to have projected them as a bottom half BE team (#8 preseason?) while at the same time being considered a very good team on a national level (Top 35 according to KenPom preseason). Regardless they're a legit Top 25 tourney team this year.

7th place team in the Big East made the tourney last year. The separation from 3rd to 7th was 1 game. Being picked 8 is not an insult but simply a marginal difference but the fact remains that the rest of the Big East doesn't get any easier.

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2020, 06:26:28 PM »
Could have gotten a juco PG and and juco big. Rutherford and sears like players could have helped last year.

So Rutherford was a grad transfer so that's much different than a JUCO. There are so many factors of consideration here from skill to academics.

So lets take JUCO that no other team in D1 took last year and keep him on this team for 2 years or have a top 100 kid in hs sit a year, practice with team / know scheme, and come in ready when we're expected to lose 2-3 starters.

SJUFAN

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2020, 06:48:56 PM »
Roberts looks a lot stronger this year vs last.

I think Earlington took largest leap in terms of skill.

Roberts current listed weight is the same out of HS and he gets pushed around rather easily. He may look stronger to you but nothing suggests that he is.

What skill set of Earlington took the largest leap that you are referring to? It’s not his ball handling, shooting, or passing. He’s in better condition and lost weight which should make him faster. He showed his toughness last year but couldn’t make any 3’s so he was relegated to the bench. New coach, different philosophy, better results.

Marillac

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2020, 06:58:11 PM »

He’s heavier and stronger. He’s also better. Stop being so stupid.

McDermott is a better coach than either Mullin or Anderson and he redshirted Justin Patton who was a first round pick after his redshirt freshman season. He knew he had him for a max of two years and still redshirted him because he was useless at the build he had as a freshman.

But I’m sure you know better than all three. The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores.

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2020, 07:01:38 PM »

So lets take JUCO that no other team in D1 took last year and keep him on this team for 2 years or have a top 100 kid in hs sit a year, practice with team / know scheme, and come in ready when we're expected to lose 2-3 starters.

Dave you make it sound like the last staff didn’t have the option of you know, going out and recruiting against other schools for kids.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2020, 07:06:04 PM »
He’s heavier and stronger. He’s also better. Stop being so stupid.

McDermott is a better coach than either Mullin or Anderson and he redshirted Justin Patton who was a first round pick after his redshirt freshman season. He knew he had him for a max of two years and still redshirted him because he was useless at the build he had as a freshman.

But I’m sure you know better than all three. The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores.

You don’t honestly think when McDermott made the decision to redshirt him he thought he was gonna bolt for the draft after the following year, do you?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.