@Providence 1/15

• 240 replies

Marillac

Re: @Providence 1/15
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2020, 04:23:18 AM »
I totally agree with you both. Providence is physical and Big, how did Steere not get any burn at all? We had Champagnie on Kalif Young or Watson..... There is absolutely no way that sears is better than him, I just don't get it.

I cannot believe how bad LJ and Heron have gotten. Sad thing is our complimentary players have gotten better, but those two have just been so inefficient it has really killed us on the offensive side of the ball. They both can't create their own shot.

Why are we saying oh it was closer than the loss at Providence last year......WHO CARES!!!! isn't the object of the game to win and us as fans want the team to win?
Steere looks awful.

« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2020, 05:55:41 AM »
The two preseason all conference players are not leaders. Mike Anderson can’t turn water into wine. The games are so much more competitive with Anderson. The only game I saw live last year was at the dunk. And the coaching was nonexistent. It’s going in a better direction with a solid man and college basketball pedigree.
The last minute of the game was baffling. Dunn is not a point guard. He proved it with twenty seconds left.

TONYD3

« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2020, 06:17:29 AM »
This program was neglected for years. To think it could be turned around in a few months is ridiculous. Anyone questioning the new coach who didn’t question the last coach is just doing it at of spite. The providence boards won’t be saying Mike Anderson sucks today. Neither will the other big east teams. For 4 years it was understood that mullin was a joke by the other teams.
We lost in the road to Xavier in a close game. Mullin was 0-9 with probably 5 knock out losses.
We lost a close game on the road to providence. Mulllin was 1-7 with probably 6 knock out losses.
This team was picked 9th for a reason. Coach Mullin, Eli, Steere, keita, Dixon, deserve plenty of of credit for 1-3.

« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2020, 08:08:41 AM »
That was very disappointing. After years of getting crushed by providence, we kept this one close, but did not play our best game.

Positives: Williams continues to grow. He’s playing really well on both sides of the ball. Earlington and champagnie also played well and seem to have good chemistry. Those three are a solid core for the next few years.

Negatives: heron and the final set. Heron played limited minutes due to foul trouble. A couple could have gone either way, but he shouldn’t pick up cheapies and take himself out of the game. Unforced turnovers, particularly by Dunn, hurt.

Big negative: Figueroa. Not sure what’s going on, but he can’t keep jacking up looong threes. Killed the team last night. The team was running some decent hi-lo action with Earlington and champagnie and Dunn was getting to the hoop; there was no reason to force things.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:33:45 AM by apesNapes »

Johnny23

« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2020, 08:17:48 AM »
The young building blocks are clearly there from Earlington to Champagnie to Williams. Dunn will also be better next year when he can play off the ball more and play his natural role of scorer. This team sorely needs a true floor general at PG.

« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2020, 08:42:03 AM »
At this rate he should get one more season.   
And so it begins! I do believe this is the very first one.

Marillac

« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2020, 08:46:26 AM »
That was very disappointing. After years of getting crushed by providence, we kept this one close, but did not play our best game.

What an honor it was to lose to 10-7 Providence. Onwards and upwards baby!

And Arkansas only beat Vandy by 20 last night to go to 14-2. I bet they wished they didn’t shitcan Anderson and lost to Providence instead.

« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2020, 08:54:42 AM »
Mustapha and LJ are playing considerably worse this season. Our top 3 scorers are shooting worse than 38%

We've kept games close because teams are playing down to our level not that we are playing up. When we beat Arizona and WVU we shot 32% and 35%.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
Mustapha and LJ are playing considerably worse this season. Our top 3 scorers are shooting worse than 38%

We've kept games close because teams are playing down to our level not that we are playing up. When we beat Arizona and WVU we shot 32% and 35%.

Not defending CMA, the offense has been far from pretty especially as of late. Heron however has missed his fair share of good looks.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 09:58:10 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2020, 10:16:42 AM »
13 turnovers, nine assists on 58 shots, 37 FG, 27 3pt, 60 percent FT, outrebounded by 12. Why'd you lose Iron Mike? "They shot ... 17 free throws and we made eight. Do the math." Curse those damned referees anyway.   

« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2020, 10:22:52 AM »
What an honor it was to lose to 10-7 Providence. Onwards and upwards baby!

And Arkansas only beat Vandy by 20 last night to go to 14-2. I bet they wished they didn’t shitcan Anderson and lost to Providence instead.
Probably because Anderson left 4 starters, and the first 3 men off the bench. Which were all freshman and sophomores.

Marillac

« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2020, 10:48:13 AM »
Probably because Anderson left 4 starters, and the first 3 men off the bench. Which were all freshman and sophomores.

He would have kept them if he wasn’t shitcanned for not winning.

Around here we like to fire coaches after they make it to the dance.

« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2020, 10:51:16 AM »
He was def winning he had made 5 straight Postseason appearances, 3 NCAA and 2 NIT, won 26 games, 27 games, and 23 games in the last 3 of 5 seasons at Ark, he just couldn’t make the sweet 16 and that’s what they want at Arkansas.

« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2020, 10:55:39 AM »
The young building blocks are clearly there from Earlington to Champagnie to Williams. Dunn will also be better next year when he can play off the ball more and play his natural role of scorer. This team sorely needs a true floor general at PG.

Agree 100%.  Williams, Champagnie and Earlington need to get more minutes. Fig and mostly Heron have been underwhelming. Might be time to move on

TONYD3

« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2020, 12:29:44 PM »
Agree 100%.  Williams, Champagnie and Earlington need to get more minutes. Fig and mostly Heron have been underwhelming. Might be time to move on
Plenty of season left. Heron certainly didn’t play well. Effort was still there. I thought LJ played a good game. He got after it on defense. Wish both hit a few more shots.
In year 1 of a complete rebuild. I am not mad at all. No one wants to lose. But can anyone say that St. John’s has better players then providence?

derk

« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2020, 02:01:04 PM »
On the bright side loved those new uni's.

« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »
I thought LJ played a good game. 
He shot 23% from the field and 16% from three. He was awful.

You really write some ridiculous sh*t.

TONYD3

« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2020, 02:30:24 PM »
He shot 23% from the field and 16% from three. He was awful.

You really write some ridiculous sh*t.
You should quote my entire post or not at all. He played excellent defense. Was still our best player during the game. He shot terribly. Part of that was him. A big part of that is we have little talent.
Their are going to be more games like this year. If LJ and heron don’t step up we may not win another game. I think they will.
Carmine- who has better basketball players? St. John’s or providence? Simple question. No moral victories but we played them close and move on. 9th place for a reason. Do you remember what happened last year?  It wasn’t close

ras

« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2020, 02:39:30 PM »
Truth be told no one expected us to be good this year. Ironically, most expected Figgy and Heron to be studs. They have  been underwhelming, Heron more than Figgy.. Maybe its CMAs system, lack of point guard or Ponds et al drew the best defenders last year, making them look better.. Games have been close, but BE record frustrating.

« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2020, 02:44:19 PM »
You should quote my entire post or not at all.
The entirety of your post should be truthful and quotable. As mine our.
Carmine- who has better basketball players? St. John’s or providence? Simple question.
I am not familiar enough with the Providence roster to answer the question. I do believe that the senior Diallo was the best player in the game.

Do you remember what happened last year?   
Yes. The St. John's University basketball team, led by Chris Mullin, qualified for the Ncaa basketball tournament. If CFC doesn't accomplish that this year, then his initial season at the helm was not as good as Coach Mullin's final. We'll then have to wait for subsequent seasons to see if he can match or surpass being as good a coach as Chris was.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:45:12 PM by carmineabbatiello »