@Providence 1/15

• 240 replies

TONYD3

Re: @Providence 1/15
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2020, 03:48:56 PM »
The entirety of your post should be truthful and quotable. As mine our. I am not familiar enough with the Providence roster to answer the question. I do believe that the senior Diallo was the best player in the game. Yes. The St. John's University basketball team, led by Chris Mullin, qualified for the Ncaa basketball tournament. If CFC doesn't accomplish that this year, then his initial season at the helm was not as good as Coach Mullin's final. We'll then have to wait for subsequent seasons to see if he can match or surpass being as good a coach as Chris was.
Can’t wait until Mullin gets his next coaching position and proves you right. We all know he deserves it.

Marillac

« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2020, 04:30:16 PM »
He was def winning he had made 5 straight Postseason appearances, 3 NCAA and 2 NIT, won 26 games, 27 games, and 23 games in the last 3 of 5 seasons at Ark, he just couldn’t make the sweet 16 and that’s what they want at Arkansas.

You sure have a way of framing things. The man was FIRED for poor performance. He inherited a team that won 18 games and finished 3rd in its division of the SEC. He missed the next three NCAA tournaments and he missed the tournament five times in eight years there.

No Arkansas coach since at least the coach before Eddie Sutton took the job in the early 70’s has missed the tournament more. In a combined 27 full seasons Sutton and Richardson only missed the NCAA tournament a combined 5 times! And neither one made it their first two years.

« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2020, 04:37:08 PM »
Yes I’m pretty sure I’m not going to compare Anderson to Nolan or Eddie. But also Mike has made the elite 8 and sweet sixteen, can’t take away that fact, and I have no clue if he can recreate that, this is the first time he has a new staff, he has had the same staff the first 16 years of coaching, and this staff he has now is heads above his previous staff. So we’ll see if the development of the returning players next year and the ones coming in will help, because Heron and LJ are the only ones that have have regressed, there’s no coincidence Anderson’s system helps when you have no go to guy in the game and the players play team ball and are defensive minded. (See Arizona, WVU, and Butler)

« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2020, 04:38:22 PM »
You sure have a way of framing things. The man was FIRED for poor performance. He inherited a team that won 18 games and finished 3rd in its division of the SEC. He missed the next three NCAA tournaments and he missed the tournament five times in eight years there.

No Arkansas coach since at least the coach before Eddie Sutton took the job in the early 70’s has missed the tournament more. In a combined 27 full seasons Sutton and Richardson only missed the NCAA tournament a combined 5 times! And neither one made it their first two years.
And you think Stan Heath and John Pelphrey did better than Anderson? Wow

Foad

« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2020, 04:47:14 PM »

Stan Heath made the tournament twice in five years at Arkansas. Coach Iron Trike made the tournament three times in eight. Do the math.

TONYD3

« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2020, 06:00:43 PM »

Wasn’t it yesterday that you said Anderson was a good coach?

TONYD3

« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2020, 06:06:59 PM »
Stan Heath made the tournament twice in five years at Arkansas. Coach Iron Trike made the tournament three times in eight. Do the math.
How about a blog?

SJUFAN

« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2020, 07:48:44 PM »
I'm with Dan here. The team has looked abysmal on offense all year. We have to be shooting about 35% as a team in Big East play.

Rebounding is very poor.

This is all indicative of the roster Anderson inherited. You can give him some blame for the 2019 class but realistically who was he going to bring in. The fact that people continue to deny this is a rebuilding year is beyond me.

SJUFAN

« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2020, 08:13:21 PM »

How about comparing the records of the coach Anderson actually replaced?

« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2020, 08:48:39 PM »
This is all indicative of the roster Anderson inherited. You can give him some blame for the 2019 class but realistically who was he going to bring in. The fact that people continue to deny this is a rebuilding year is beyond me.

Sure some of it can be attributed to lack of talent shooting the ball, but it’s the coaches job to control for that. Figure out a way to get easy shots or at least shots that suit players abilities. That hadn’t happened so far.

Marillac

« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2020, 09:05:04 PM »

I didn’t make that claim. Heath and Pelphrey are awful basketball coaches yet they still danced at Arkansas. Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson were terrific. Mike Anderson is somewhere in the middle, albeit probably slightly closer to Pelphrey and Heath.

But middle isn’t good enough for the double-digit IQ group I have recently labeled “The Squad.”

You see, idiots need to reduce everything down to dichotomies. I’ll save you the google search...they need everything broken down to great or awful, black or white, etc.

St. John’s is a coaching graveyard. We destroy coaches.

You think Anderson had an impressive career? Look at Mike Jarvis! Like Anderson he never had a losing season. Between 1990 and 2000 he made 7 NCAA tournaments, he won titles in 3 leagues, led all three teams he coached to the NCAA tournament, he led two teams to the Sweet 16, led St. John’s to the Elite Eight and one shot from the Final Four, and made 3 NITs.

We fired that guy less than 4 years later and we were chanting for him to be fired two years after he won the Big East. His second to last season he made the NCAA tournament and signed a McDonald’s All-American with a recruiting budget so low he picked up recruits in a station wagon. The year prior to being fired he made and f*cking won the NIT. He was fired 6 games later.

Our fanbase is a special kind of delusional.

TONYD3

« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2020, 09:13:01 PM »
I didn’t make that claim. Heath and Pelphrey are awful basketball coaches yet they still danced at Arkansas. Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson were terrific. Mike Anderson is somewhere in the middle, albeit probably slightly closer to Pelphrey and Heath.

But middle isn’t good enough for the double-digit IQ group I have recently labeled “The Squad.”

You see, idiots need to reduce everything down to dichotomies. I’ll save you the google search...they need everything broken down to great or awful, black or white, etc.

St. John’s is a coaching graveyard. We destroy coaches.

You think Anderson had an impressive career? Look at Mike Jarvis! Like Anderson he never had a losing season. Between 1990 and 2000 he made 7 NCAA tournaments, he won titles in 3 leagues, led all three teams he coached to the NCAA tournament, he led two teams to the Sweet 16, led St. John’s to the Elite Eight and one shot from the Final Four, and made 3 NITs.

We fired that guy less than 4 years later and we were chanting for him to be fired two years after he won the Big East. His second to last season he made the NCAA tournament and signed a McDonald’s All-American with a recruiting budget so low he picked up recruits in a station wagon. The year prior to being fired he made and f*cking won the NIT. He was fired 6 games later.

Our fanbase is a special kind of delusional.
Part of your issue is you have been on these boards to long. The guy you fought and argued with 15/20 years ago are not the same as we are. I never booed Jarvis. I imagine the others you call trolls did not either. I and many others are still Lavin fans. Your theory is nonsense.
20-59 can not be rationalized. Neither can mitch or st. Jean.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 09:17:49 PM by TONYD3 »

Marillac

« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2020, 09:22:02 PM »
Sure some of it can be attributed to lack of talent shooting the ball, but it’s the coaches job to control for that. Figure out a way to get easy shots or at least shots that suit players abilities. That hadn’t happened so far.

These are the same guys that wouldn’t hesitate to give Anderson credit for developing them if they played better. LJ and Heron didnt get worse...Anderson just can’t use them.

I see this crap about how they are bad because they are not primary scorers and Ponds is gone, but Dunn dominates the ball much the same way. He is averaging 13.6, 5.4, and 2.4 in conference games with 2.4 steals. Champagnie and Earlington are combining for 17.1 and 10.6.

LJ is only averaging .3 more two two-point FGs per game and Heron is actually averaging .8 fewer.

These guys aren’t being asked to carry the team or score 18-20 ppg. They aren’t even being asked to play 30 minutes.

Heron went from a good offensive coach to an okay one to a sh*tty one. That explains his fall off, geniuses. We have no plan in the half court. Ever!

Mustapha Heron was Auburn’s leading scorer twice. One year he averaged 4 pts more than the next scorer and almost double the fourth leading scorer! In his soph season Auburn was #1 in the SEC and went 26-8. He scored 16.4 ppg for a 26-win team and was named 2nd team all SEC his first two years.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 09:24:17 PM by Marillac »

Marillac

« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2020, 09:35:27 PM »
Is it worth tailoring this season to a more structured system that fits players like Heron and LJ (as well as Caraher, Steere, and Sears)?

I think that is a fair question and one in which reasonable minds could disagree. I’d be inclined to say no with such a good core of younger players.

What is not reasonable is to suggest that Heron and LJ both magically got bad when anyone with two eyes and a somewhat open mind can see that Anderson has no clue what to do in the half court offensively. In fact, his entire philosophy is to avoid those exact situations as much as possible. In football terms he wants to run a dime defense with speedy DBs replacing LBs but he LJ and Heron aren’t DBs.

We often look better with both LJ and Heron on the bench — certainly defensively.

Add that 6’10 forward, the tall SG Cole, Posh and McGriff, and yet another freak in Wasu and things could be much different.

ras

« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2020, 10:40:07 PM »
I can’t figure out w Roberts getting outmuscled in the BE , how come Steere doesn’t get any minutes? He may not have looked good in his 7 minutes of playing time, but why not give him more of a chance?

TONYD3

« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2020, 11:17:08 PM »
I can’t figure out w Roberts getting outmuscled in the BE , how come Steere doesn’t get any minutes? He may not have looked good in his 7 minutes of playing time, but why not give him more of a chance?
Maybe their was something wrong with transfer U. Example- Dixion, keita, Eli Wright

« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2020, 01:20:09 AM »
Maybe their was something wrong with transfer U. Example- Dixion, keita, Eli Wright

Tariq Owens, Justin Simon, Bashir Ahmed, Darien Williams, Marvin Clark, Mustapha Heron, LJ Figueroa

If you want to discredit you have to credit too. There were more positives than negatives. I've said this a ton that I thought our roster was too transient but I liked majority of the transfers we got.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2020, 01:21:48 AM »

Steere looks lost and does not look in good shape. I think some of this is on him and some of this is on staff. He's talented but need to build confidence and shake off rust.

He can be what Gill has become for Seton Hall.

« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2020, 01:28:02 AM »
Is it worth tailoring this season to a more structured system that fits players like Heron and LJ (as well as Caraher, Steere, and Sears)?

I think that is a fair question and one in which reasonable minds could disagree. I’d be inclined to say no with such a good core of younger players.

What is not reasonable is to suggest that Heron and LJ both magically got bad when anyone with two eyes and a somewhat open mind can see that Anderson has no clue what to do in the half court offensively. In fact, his entire philosophy is to avoid those exact situations as much as possible. In football terms he wants to run a dime defense with speedy DBs replacing LBs but he LJ and Heron aren’t DBs.

We often look better with both LJ and Heron on the bench — certainly defensively.

Add that 6’10 forward, the tall SG Cole, Posh and McGriff, and yet another freak in Wasu and things could be much different.

Totally agree here. I haven't seen specific half court sets to get the ball in these guys' hands to put them in positions to score.

These guys didn't all of a sudden forget how to play basketball or suddenly become worse. We're running 4 out motion which works for a guy like Dunn or Rutherford but isn't LJ or Heron's game off the bounce.

Get LJ coming off screens in pick and pop and get Mustapha catching off screen or on block where he can play 1 on 1. These guys thrive here so need to put them into those positions.

« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2020, 02:11:00 AM »
Can’t wait until Mullin gets his next coaching position and proves you right. We all know he deserves it.
Mullins future employment has no bearing on the fact that I'm right.