Seton Hall 1/18

• 111 replies
Re: Seton Hall 1/18
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2020, 02:34:07 PM »
I know I’m that guy and don’t want to be but we have the elite scorer coming in next year that can score at will...in times like these only thing you can do is watch Vince Cole, and Isaih Moore highlights..

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2020, 02:37:30 PM »
I know I’m that guy and don’t want to be but we have the elite scorer coming in next year that can score at will...in times like these only thing you can do is watch Vince Cole, and Isaih Moore highlights..

I hope Vince Cole can be an option scorer for us but I think it's hard to expect him to come in and be better than Heron or LJ.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2020, 02:38:46 PM »
They hit shots the needed to make. We didn’t. You can ask for more sets or better adjustments. We left more than enough points on the board to win.

Seton Hall adjusted to our defense. Today wasn't about offense.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2020, 02:38:55 PM »
Our worse free throw shooter missed his shots, even after getting a do over. their worst free throw shooter made his in a clutch situation.

One of our best players fouled out with 5mins left on a silly foul. Theirs stepped up.

Just frustrating.
Cougar O' Malley

SJUFAN

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2020, 02:41:10 PM »
Well considering he hasn't gone to the FT line more than 2x in 15 games this season (84% of our games) there isn't much to notice. In 10 games he hasn't gone to the line at all.

Excuse hall of fame. He’s been to the line enough to assess it. Roberts had a good game overall though.

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2020, 02:47:59 PM »
Seton Hall adjusted to our defense. Today wasn't about offense.

Of course they handled our defense better. We didn’t score as much and didn’t get to set it up as often.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2020, 02:48:40 PM »
Yep this is bad.. looking like 17-14 and (6-12) in conf. Only way to make NCAA tourney then is make the BE tourney finals or might even have to win it...

Rodman

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2020, 02:53:44 PM »
Our worse free throw shooter missed his shots, even after getting a do over. their worst free throw shooter made his in a clutch situation.

One of our best players fouled out with 5mins left on a silly foul. Theirs stepped up.

Just frustrating.

It came down to free throws.  They made theirs we didnt.  If Roberts goes 2 for 5 at the line we probably win this one.  He missed the first of a one and one a couple of times I believe.

Rodman

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2020, 02:56:27 PM »
Myles Powell is a beast!  He took over at the end there.  I was really impressed with Dunn too.  After the way he started the game at 1-8, he has a scorers mentality and continues to put the ball up.  Glad he is coming back next year.  He will be a very nice piece.

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2020, 02:56:46 PM »
Excuse hall of fame. He’s been to the line enough to assess it. Roberts had a good game overall though.

LOL he averages 1 FT a game. It's barely a blip on the radar. C'mon man hardly something to plant your flag on.

He played well today for sure.

cjfish

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2020, 03:02:02 PM »
Seton Hall

15 turnovers first half
4 turnovers 2nd half

Really the difference. If we turn teams over we win, if we don't we lose. It's really been that simple of recipe this year. This was one of our better offensive performances

absolutely.  Also lack of a point guard.  Getting the ball up against pressure is an adventure as  is Dunn at the end of the game.  Rutherford can not guard an elite guard at all....Powell took him at will.  Team playing hard.

TONYD3

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2020, 03:08:37 PM »
absolutely.  Also lack of a point guard.  Getting the ball up against pressure is an adventure as  is Dunn at the end of the game.  Rutherford can not guard an elite guard at all....Powell took him at will.  Team playing hard.
Rutherford competed plenty on defense. Powell beat him a few times. Great effort by our guy

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2020, 03:11:08 PM »

Rutherford is not very good. He plays his ass off but that pesky play eventually succumbs to superior talent.

Some of this falls on Rutherford (even LJ) for gambling in half court defense when we really should have packed it in when we held a larger lead. Ultimately that's on Anderson for not making that recognition or adjustment.

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2020, 03:14:41 PM »
I’m just still not if McGriff and Posh will be the answer at PG but they should be able to play better offense but not sure about defense.

TONYD3

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2020, 03:15:41 PM »
Rutherford is not very good. He plays his ass off but that pesky play eventually succumbs to superior talent.

Some of this falls on Rutherford (even LJ) for gambling in half court defense when we really should have packed it in when we held a larger lead. Ultimately that's on Anderson for not making that recognition or adjustment.
What adjustment is he going to make. Seton hall could go to the final 4 and we we played them almost even with Rutherford, earlington, Roberts and Dunn. Our coach, coaches his ass off

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2020, 03:16:40 PM »
Rutherford competed plenty on defense. Powell beat him a few times. Great effort by our guy

No doubt he gives incredible effort but he cost us a few times by playing too tight which allowed Powell to blow by.

Score and situation should change how we D up. We can't just have one speed.

We did a great job of keeping Powell in check in first half but just like a pitcher can't keep throwing fast balls or football team can't blitz every down. We needed to throw some different looks.

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2020, 03:21:17 PM »
What adjustment is he going to make. Seton hall could go to the final 4 and we we played them almost even with Rutherford, earlington, Roberts and Dunn. Our coach, coaches his ass off

Looking at this game in 40 min lens. I don't think there is a large talent disparity. We have enough horses to compete and we showed that for first 20 min. This is the Big East.

The difference between great and worst is very fine.

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2020, 03:21:53 PM »
Rutherford lost the game with his play early and late in the 2nd half.  At opening, turned the ball over repeatedly trying to dribble between double and triple teams instead of making the quick pass.  13 point lead evaporated and the Hall was back in th game before the first timeout.

Late in the game, crowded Powell 40 feet from the hoop on 3 straight possessions, allowing quick blow by and easy layups.

In addition, he can't score and won't shoot an open shot, so we are effectively playing 4 against 5 when he's on the floor.  Why does he get 30 minutes in a game where Williams gets 23?  That's insane. 

Way too much time for Rutherford this game, and probably too little time for Steere.  Where was he in the 2nd half?

TONYD3

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2020, 03:21:58 PM »
No doubt he gives incredible effort but he cost us a few times by playing too tight which allowed Powell to blow by.

Score and situation should change how we D up. We can't just have one speed.

We did a great job of keeping Powell in check in first half but just like a pitcher can't keep throwing fast balls or football team can't blitz every down. We needed to throw some different looks.
I get mocked because I coach HS sports. Sometimes you don’t have another pitcher. Sometimes you don’t have another play. Coach Anderson has a few bullets. Once he uses them it’s game over.
 In 3 years if Nick Rutherford is the only answer it’s a problem. And Anderson deserves plenty of blame. In year 1 of a complete rebuild. What’s he going to do?
And yes this is a rebuild

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2020, 03:22:38 PM »
Rutherford lost the game with his play early and late in the 2nd half.  At opening, turned the ball over repeatedly trying to dribble between double and triple teams instead of making the quick pass.  13 point lead evaporated and the Hall was back in th game before the first timeout.

Late in the game, crowded Powell 40 feet from the hoop on 3 straight possessions, allowing quick blow by and easy layups.

In addition, he can't score and won't shoot an open shot, so we are effectively playing 4 against 5 when he's on the floor.  Why does he get 30 minutes in a game where Williams gets 23?  That's insane. 

Way too much time for Rutherford this game, and probably too little time for Steere.  Where was he in the 2nd half?

Same page