Cease Fire

• 37 replies

Marillac

Cease Fire
« on: January 18, 2020, 05:10:48 PM »
We are 1-5 and in last place in the conference. Things are about to get very ugly, especially on the road. Anderson will be lucky to keep his .500 streak intact.

I predicted last place even with the good start. I also predicted that conference coaches would understand Rutherford’s limitations and play him accordingly unlike OOC foes who didn’t watch much tape on us and don’t talk as much with coaches of common opponents.

Can we finally find some common ground here? Can we stop knocking Mullin to raise Anderson? CM was a truly horrific hire. No coach without any experience could have done much better. But he danced here and that means he wasn’t awful (Norm was awful). NOBODY is saying he was good. Can we just drop it? This board will be unreadable for years if we don’t.

I think we will see at least two transfers, so that will open up more spots for Anderson to get his type of guys. Probably at least one grad transfer.

I love Posh and I like Cole. I don’t love Wasu or the 6’10 forward for most systems, but I do think they will work with Anderson. Those two guys with Dunn, Roberts, Williams, and Earlington give us the most absurd physically gifted team in the country...add Posh to that too since he looks like a truck.

I think we dance next year. All I ever ask of a coach is to give me a reason to hope that we can participate in the NCAA tournament and win one game there.

I think Anderson’s high valuation of PG play (Posh, McGriff, and Dunn on the same roster) and offensive rebounding make us a more dangerous team in March.

I don’t like relying on frehmen, but Posh is a highly ranked kid and small guards tend to hit the ground running much faster than wings or bigs. Also, McGriff will have had a year of experience with the team and played a level of competition in prep school that was similar to many JUCOs. Wasu will probably only be a 10 minute guy and he will only be asked to react and use his athletic ability.

Re: Cease Fire
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 05:24:48 PM »
Good thread. I think this is important that we will all have varying opinions, feelings, assessments, expectations, philosophies but our common ground is we root for the same team and we all want to win.

It's ok to think differently but lets not resort to immediately saying someone is an idiot, stupid, ignorant, insane, etc. Respond with something that supports the message you're trying to make about the team/game/recruiting.

The season has had it's up/downs but there is a lot of season left. We want to see growth on the court and from the bench.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 06:13:12 PM »
Good thread. I think this is important that we will all have varying opinions, feelings, assessments, expectations, philosophies but our common ground is we root for the same team and we all want to win.

It's ok to think differently but lets not resort to immediately saying someone is an idiot, stupid, ignorant, insane, etc. Respond with something that supports the message you're trying to make about the team/game/recruiting.

The season has had it's up/downs but there is a lot of season left. We want to see growth on the court and from the bench.
This is an idiotic, stupid, ignorant, insane post. LOL Just kidding. A civil board would be a nice change of pace after all the acrimony of the past 6 months.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 06:43:04 PM »

The problem is that people have drawn lines in the sand and will stand behind them regardless of what happens. Some would rather be right than for us to win. That crosses a clear line on forums IMO. I’m offering an off ramp from years of fighting over stupid sh*t.

Mullin wasn’t the worst coach we’ve ever had. Anderson isn’t the best.

So we’re arguing about whether a guy who made the tournament was awful or just not that good? Is that worth ruining a forum over? We’ve lost countless good posters because of it.

Realistically, what is Anderson’s ceiling here? A win in the tournament? MAYBE two with good matchups? The last two coaches got us to the tournament so that’s not really a huge difference. It’s certainly not one worth fighting over to this level.

I don’t think there is one poster that suggests Mullin was a better overall coach than Anderson. And we all agree his staff was a disaster.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:44:41 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 08:32:41 PM »
Marillac the voice of reason!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 08:53:54 PM »
Good posts. I loved Mullin for many reasons and also was fine moving on from Mullin the coach, for no other reason that I was tired of the staff he put together and didn’t think they were a formula for winning consistently.

I’m a fan of Anderson and the staff makes sense. It seems to be a respected group. I don’t think he is the second coming but he doesn’t need to be. I think he’s a very good coach and will build a program we are all happy with. As far as ceiling - I think with time and some luck we can be a team that is in the dance on a fairly consistent basis and has the chance to win some games there in certain years. Much like the Hall - it took Willard 10 years to get to that point and it’s easier to win here than there. Or Prov under Cooley. Or how Xavier has been for a while.

It won’t be easy but this staff knows that and I think Anderson is experienced and good enough to make it happen.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 10:49:19 PM »
I have no say in what Mullin did and how he did it because i didn’t watch those games, I just like Mike Anderson and follow his career because I invested to much time at Arkansas watching him and I’m from there and when it comes to be a huge part of your life then you don’t like change, and although Muss is a better coach at Arkansas and even though I’m a diehard Arkansas fan I want them to do bad to make Mike look better and I know Marillac has done that a few times to for Mullin and I totally agree. When something you love doesn’t work out then you hope the next thing fails. And I have finally come to the fact that I can support the new coach at Arkansas and support Mike Anderson without the two being compared to each other, so me and Marillac can both try to be better at not comparing Mullin and Anderson, Mullin of course seems like he has done a great job bringing the program back up and hopefully Mike can keep it rolling. Steere, And Caraher are probably gone after this year but most likely just Steere, wouldn’t mind to see sears move on and be a grad transfer because we aren’t losing a big man and it will open a spot up for Moore to take over as a starter or atleast the back up big man. You have McGriff, Dunn, Wusu, Alexander, Williams, Earlington, Roberts, Cole, and Moore for sure coming back next year and mike can get a grad big man or another JUCO guard it could a pretty good season. I have no clue if LJ will come back or not. Just a plus if he does. So Marillac I def won’t post about Mullin if you downgrade every post I make. Common ground it is, and yes I know this post is all over the place

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 11:26:06 PM »
Banner. It's ok to hit enter to create paragraphs. LOL

All seriousness. We all know you are a Mike Anderson fan and believer which I think is great. I appreciate your insights and historic perspective.

I don't see Caraher or Steere leaving seeing that they already transferred once but stranger and more illogical things have happened so you never know.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 12:30:59 AM »
Banner. It's ok to hit enter to create paragraphs. LOL

All seriousness. We all know you are a Mike Anderson fan and believer which I think is great. I appreciate your insights and historic perspective.

I don't see Caraher or Steere leaving seeing that they already transferred once but stranger and more illogical things have happened so you never know.
Who do you see entering the portal? McGriff? Earlington? I would really not figure Roberts transferring

TONYD3

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 09:44:35 AM »
Everyone wants a move civil board. Cease fire is a great idea. Before Mariliac started this post he should have checked his last 500 posts and saw how he behaved. Dave has stated many times that he doesn't see every thing and lets many things go. In Mariliac's last 10 posts he is probably calling someone a name 7 times. My feelings don't get hurt and I am sure the other members of the "squad" are not crying, but it definitely effects the board.
Their are a few posters who offer nothing but insults. When a loser calls me a name. Usually I enjoy it. I find it funny. And retaliate in some way. But if those kinds of people would just fxck off and die, this board would be a better place.
Chris Mullin was our coach for 4 years. He is still very relevant. Every thread shouldn't bash him. (A big part of that is my fault). But he didn't do his job. That is not a personal attack. That is just a fact. Their is a line in the sand. Honestly I don't know what the other side believes to be true. Or do they just love our former coach that much that they will continue to fight for him.
Our current team is absolutely in a rebuilding stage. They aren't close to winning at this level. We are ahead of schedule and that is a credit to the staff. We have 1 senior, He has only been here 1 year. Lj is a junior he has only been here 1 year.
We had no culture. We went through the motions. We were soft. You can't say those things about St. Johns basketball anymore.
I actually agree with Mariliac that last years freshman played enough. Those guys couldn't have helped us. They weren't ready . However, guys should have been brought in to help us.
This years sophmores are doing great. They have all gotten better. They all have ROLES on this team.
Next year recruits. I have no idea. I believe Anderson deserves the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully we are dancing.
1-5 is terrible. But our boys played their hearts our yesterday. No moral victories. But we are getting closer to being a good basketball PROGRAM. Our team is not quitting. Losing absolutely sucks. And yes it is MUCH BETTER to COMPETE then get absolutely EMBARRASSED and lose by 40.     
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 09:47:21 AM by TONYD3 »

ras

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 11:18:36 AM »
IMO look at the players glued to the bench and I see them transferring. First one coming to mind is Steere, who I believe CMA hasn’t given a chance, followed by Seers... Nice post Marillac, time to stop harping about Mullin as a coach. Although I will say this BE start has me depressed, but I should be used to it as A SJU fan. If CMA makes the tourney next year that would be a nice accomplishment. Hopefully this year he can keep his winning streak and make the NIT.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 11:20:35 AM by ras »

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 11:54:52 AM »
Steer not playing is some kind of punishment. We definitely could have used more this season.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 01:43:28 PM »
Anderson’s tenure would be considered a huge success if these things happen and they build upon them.

1. Consistently finishing with a winning record (possibility of 2 years in row!!!)

2. Making the NIT or NCAA in the early years to eventually always making the NCAA.
(Don’t we all miss the days of making the tournament was a forgone conclusion and the fan base could get frustrated of under achieving in the tournament)

3. Reloading and not rebuilding. Can one damn SJU couch not be considered starting from scratch when they inherit a program? Sometimes some years maybe be starting more great then others, but it will still be considered reloading the roster with tsk eyed kids.

4. Stability and longevity. For better or for worse everyone know Mike Anderson’s coaching philosophy and plan. The school desperately needs an identity and at the college level that coach gives the team that identity and personality. For this this work and for his tenure to be considered a success, I think he needs to stay at SJU for at least eight years.

This will stabilize basketball program  and show that SJU is not a place where coaches go to die and that the school has a clue.

5. The AD and Anderson are on the same page. SJUBB is the flagship and of Anderson can stabilize the program make it successful, the AD can focus on the other big stuff of fund raising, facility upgrades, and an overall vision of the entire athletic program.

Anything else about these five things I would considered nice surprises. I would love/hope to watch  winning BE championships, and deep NCAA runs. If Anderson can make this a consistently competent program again, I believe after he leaves we can bring in other great coaches.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 01:44:10 PM »
I know Steere has some rust but I'm shocked at alarmingly low usage rate of him.

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 02:00:08 PM »

3. Reloading and not rebuilding. Can one damn SJU couch not be considered starting from scratch when they inherit a program? Sometimes some years maybe be starting more great then others, but it will still be considered reloading the roster with tsk eyed kids.

This is very scary already. With next years class being filled with JUCO's we will have 7 open scholarships in 2 years.

I think fear that if things go poorly rest of year and worse results continue next year then we leave ourselves in serious jeopardy because if year 3 is bad and you decide to make a move then a new coach is left with an empty roster OR you don't make a move and a coach is filled with a roster he doesn't want.

We need to either push some guys out or really win.

Johnny23

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 02:07:30 PM »
Middle ground? Who woulda thunk!?

Solid post though seriously. I've seen enough of Anderson to know he's got the ship headed in the right direction. The young core plus the newcomers next year will have this team improved by a good margin especially with real PG play quarterbacking the offense (Posh and McGriff).

I think Steere just needs more conditioning and then he'll play more minutes. He looks like a strong, athletic dude but his wind is a little lacking from the limited action I've seen of him.

SJUFAN

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 04:46:25 PM »
I just want fans to extend the same level of patience with Anderson they had with the previous regime. He’s not without flaw, but he is a proven winner. It may not be John Wooden standards, but I believe his style and philosophy can be successful here.

SJUFAN

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 04:49:20 PM »
This is very scary already. With next years class being filled with JUCO's we will have 7 open scholarships in 2 years.

I think fear that if things go poorly rest of year and worse results continue next year then we leave ourselves in serious jeopardy because if year 3 is bad and you decide to make a move then a new coach is left with an empty roster OR you don't make a move and a coach is filled with a roster he doesn't want.

We need to either push some guys out or really win.

I always felt this is a rebuilding year. Next year if LJ stays I believe we’ll be dancing. If not, we will show improvements and challenge for a spot at the very least.

nudginator59

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 05:22:54 PM »
This is a definite rebuild in terms of Anderson’s vision of fielding a team, and transition into a new system will always have growing pains.

Dave you your point, Anderson has done rebuilds before and this maybe his greatest one yet.

In many respect the bar is low because the program has been inconsistent and sputtering for 20 mouse years.

The hard part is that is that Anderson doesn’t have State facilities or money. SJU’s facilities and funding are lacking which can make a rebuild even more difficult.

The positive is this is a basketball city and a consistent winner can bring in needed resources.
Cougar O' Malley

nudginator59

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 05:28:21 PM »
Overall the first time in a long time the athletic department is being run in a streamline way where there is a clear structure.

Anderson is Cragg’s hire and both have a lot to prove.  There was a lot to be desired Cragg’s coaching search, and SJUBB was fortunate to end with somebody like Anderson.

Repole gave Cragg some cover fire by going after the school President, but if the Anderson experiment is a failure it is on him, and that may undercut a lot of other things.
Cougar O' Malley