Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK

• 491 replies
Re: Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2020, 12:56:19 AM »
Question for the Razorback fans

Has the Anderson family always been opinionated in public and involved in the  baksetball program?

Today at the Garden I noticed Anderson's wife  trying to get involved in the ruling on the LJ and Pickett incident. She was out of her seat and in the area of the monitor review... she was asked to return to her seat.

A friend pointed out that Mike Anderson Jr. was on Twitter on the St. John's thread calling out the shooting and lack of talent.

Another relative was also telling fans to not voice their opinion and calling fans "piglets".

« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2020, 10:24:21 PM »
So this season is no Ncaa tournament bid. Next season is no tournament bid either as teams don't go from 4 -14 to 9 - 9 in one year depending on so many freshmen. The very BEST we can hope for is that CFC dances in year three, and that's being very wishful, to tie coach Mullins achievement here.

The traitors are going to owe our legend one grand apology.

SJUFAN

« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2020, 10:19:24 AM »
So this season is no Ncaa tournament bid. Next season is no tournament bid either as teams don't go from 4 -14 to 9 - 9 in one year depending on so many freshmen. The very BEST we can hope for is that CFC dances in year three, and that's being very wishful, to tie coach Mullins achievement here.

No we wouldn’t. We needed to move on regardless of how Anderson preforms here.

It may very well take Anderson until year three to make the NCAA tournament. That’s what happens when you inherit a program that is in need of rebuilding.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2020, 11:23:59 AM »

I hope Mullin knows you and appreciates your support.  The blind loyalty you show for him admirable as it is annoying.

I don’t think Mullin really cares anymore one or the other about the basketball program.

He left NYC 40 years ago only to comeback here for five years, just to go back California. He’s a West Coaster born in Brooklyn.

SJU alumni in general acts like a bunch of Uncle Rico’s  who only remember the 80s and the would’ve could’ve should’ve of that period.

Mullin wasn’t going to work out here because of the disunion of the AD and him. Mullin went for the power play of going above Cragg’s head and failed. This would have been a tension filled season anyways because those two could not exist in the same organization.
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2020, 01:17:45 PM »
I hope Mullin knows you and appreciates your support.  The blind loyalty you show for him admirable as it is annoying.

I don’t think Mullin really cares anymore one or the other about the basketball program.

He left NYC 40 years ago only to comeback here for five years, just to go back California. He’s a West Coaster born in Brooklyn.

SJU alumni in general acts like a bunch of Uncle Rico’s  who only remember the 80s and the would’ve could’ve should’ve of that period.

Mullin wasn’t going to work out here because of the disunion of the AD and him. Mullin went for the power play of going above Cragg’s head and failed. This would have been a tension filled season anyways because those two could not exist in the same organization.
I know you want to say it. Mullin is a bum
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:07:01 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2020, 01:45:56 PM »
No we wouldn’t. We needed to move on regardless of how Anderson preforms here.

It may very well take Anderson until year three to make the NCAA tournament. That’s what happens when you inherit a program that is in need of rebuilding.

Why did we need to move on?

Johnny23

« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2020, 01:51:06 PM »

Because last year's team had the most talented roster in the Big East, in the most down year for the BE in forever, and still finished in 7th place and below .500 in conference. And that was Mullin's best year.

« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2020, 02:09:42 PM »
Because last year's team had the most talented roster in the Big East, in the most down year for the BE in forever, and still finished in 7th place and below .500 in conference. And that was Mullin's best year.

They had zero plan to move on from Mullin. You move on when you have an actual target. Cragg got played like an amateur. The process was an absolute joke.

Anderson was an unimpressive hire. His career had been trending downward. His recruiting will leave at lot to be desired. I had no problem with moving on if they made a strong hire. This was not. The program is dead. No buzz anywhere. Look at the recruits at our games... there are none. They aren't making inroads. It will be JUCOs with an imbalanced roster.

Foad

« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2020, 02:51:01 PM »
Because last year's team had the most talented roster in the Big East

How was a team that had no depth and no big man the most talented in the Big East? Perhaps you meant to say most talented starting five but even that's questionable. Was SJU's starting five > Howard, the Hauser twins and Theo John? Powell, Cale, McKnight, Nzei and Mamaluke? Booth, Pasquall, Gillespie, Bey?

Last year Villanova had six RSCI top 100 kids, Marquette had five, Creighton had four and Xavier G'town and Seton Hall had three, as did SJU and one of their top 100 is evidently a bum who's singlehandedly responsible for pulling Coach Home Run into the toilet. Stop acting like Mullin was running Murderer's Row out there, because he wasn't. He had Ponds and Simon three other guys and then Bryan Trimble.

Johnny23

« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2020, 03:03:27 PM »
How was a team that had no depth and no big man the most talented in the Big East? Perhaps you meant to say most talented starting five but even that's questionable. Was SJU's starting five > Howard, the Hauser twins and Theo John? Powell, Cale, McKnight, Nzei and Mamaluke? Booth, Pasquall, Gillespie, Bey?

Last year Villanova had six RSCI top 100 kids, Marquette had five, Creighton had four and Xavier G'town and Seton Hall had three, as did SJU and one of their top 100 is evidently a bum who's singlehandedly responsible for pulling Coach Home Run into the toilet. Stop acting like Mullin was running Murderer's Row out there, because he wasn't. He had Ponds and Simon three other guys and then Bryan Trimble.

Being that the original question that I replied to was "why did we need to move on" from Mullin, your first two comments only further cement why we needed to. No depth and especially no big man were both knocks on the hall of fame player. Further supporting why we needed to move on. We could argue the most talented, or the 2nd most talented or 3rd most talented last year. Bottom line is they're all just more reasons why he wasn't getting the job done.

TONYD3

« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2020, 03:26:03 PM »

They had zero plan to move on from Mullin. You move on when you have an actual target. Cragg got played like an amateur. The process was an absolute joke.

Anderson was an unimpressive hire. His career had been trending downward. His recruiting will leave at lot to be desired. I had no problem with moving on if they made a strong hire. This was not. The program is dead. No buzz anywhere. Look at the recruits at our games... there are none. They aren't making inroads. It will be JUCOs with an imbalanced roster.
Their was a clear plan. Fire mullin, and hire someone who has experience and will do the job professionally and take the position seriously.

Foad

« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2020, 04:13:16 PM »
Being that the original question that I replied to was "why did we need to move on" from Mullin, your first two comments only further cement why we needed to. No depth and especially no big man were both knocks on the hall of fame player. Further supporting why we needed to move on. We could argue the most talented, or the 2nd most talented or 3rd most talented last year. Bottom line is they're all just more reasons why he wasn't getting the job done.

I don't agree with the "need to move on" proposition for a number of reasons, mostly because firing every coach who makes the NCAA tournament is counterproductive. I think there were minor tweaks - to the system,  to the staff - that might have improved things. Still, I understand the reasoning of those that thought Mullin had to go.

What I don't understand is the need to guild the lily. Because if things were that bad you don't need to make things up to make them worse. For example this bit of nonsense:

St John's had the best roster in the league last year, despite the fact that they had no depth and no height, which lack of depth and height was detrimental to the roster and that's on Mullin

How is all of that true? It isn't. It can't be.

And if it is (and it can't be) how are we nine months later rebuilding when 40 percent of the best roster in the league is back?

So we had to move on because Mullin recruited the best roster in the league and made the NCAA tournament? Okay, so if coming in 7th and making the tournament is bad what's good about ninth place? Oh that's right, we're instilling a culture. Which culture you know we're instilling because you're there in the huddle. In the locker room. In the trenches.

Idea: just say Chris Mullin needed to go because I hated Chris Mullin. Be honest. Stop trying to rationalize your emotions. Stop trying to justify them. Hatred is good. It's our friend. Just cop to it. It's liberating. I hated Steve Lavin and was happy when he was fired despite what little success he had. Because I loathed him. Although in retrospect they never should have fired him. Because they fired the next guy and inevitably they'll fire this guy, assuming he makes the tournament obviously.

Johnny23

« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2020, 04:26:58 PM »
I don't agree with the "need to move on" proposition for a number of reasons, mostly because firing every coach who makes the NCAA tournament is counterproductive. I think there were minor tweaks - to the system,  to the staff - that might have improved things. Still, I understand the reasoning of those that thought Mullin had to go.

What I don't understand is the need to guild the lily. Because if things were that bad you don't need to make things up to make them worse. For example this bit of nonsense:

St John's had the best roster in the league last year, despite the fact that they had no depth and no height, which lack of depth and height was detrimental to the roster and that's on Mullin

And if it is (and it can't be) how are we nine months later rebuilding when 40 percent of the best roster in the league is back?

So we had to move on because Mullin recruited the best roster in the league and made the NCAA tournament? Okay, so if coming in 7th and making the tournament is bad what's good about ninth place? Oh that's right, we're instilling a culture. Which culture you know we're instilling because you're there in the huddle. In the locker room. In the trenches.

Idea: just say Chris Mullin needed to go because I hated Chris Mullin. Be honest. Stop trying to rationalize your emotions. Stop trying to justify them. Hatred is good. It's our friend. Just cop to it. It's liberating. I hated Steve Lavin and was happy when he was fired despite what little success he had. Because I loathed him. Although in retrospect they never should have fired him. Because they fired the next guy and inevitably they'll fire this guy, assuming he makes the tournament obviously.

No need to rationalize my emotions when the facts are there for all to see. Coming in 7th in a weak BE. That's a fact. You don't want to admit it but we barely got into the tourney last year. In fact, we were the last team in the field. We were then unceremoniously trounced in an shoddy performance in one of the first 4 games on a tues or wed night before the full slate of games began on Thursday.

Simon was DPOY in the BE last year. Ponds was 1st team All BE last year I believe. I don't think either LJ or Heron is on track to make any of the All BE teams this year. Last year's team was much more talented. And then you bring up Ninth place this year? This is Anderson's first year. There were zero expectations for this season. Not sure how you could honestly compare his 9th place standing currently in Year 1 to Mullin's 7th place standing in Year 4 of his regime. That's not a comparison, that's a reach by you to make things look equal when they are not.

How is it not true that the lack of depth and lack of big man were not on Mullin last year? Who else could the blame fall on when the buck stops with the head coach?

TONYD3

« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2020, 04:29:52 PM »

You are making this complicated. It’s very simple. Was Chris Mullin a good coach? Did he hire a proper staff? Was he working hard enough? Were the results good enough? Did he do everything in his power to do the best job he could do?
Who cares if he was a novice, who cares if he got better.
The answer to every question in the first paragraph is no. You and your ilk finally conceded that the hero had flaws. Maybe just maybe we are still losing because of his flaws.
Nebraska is the worst team in the big 10. They have new coach? Did he like Anderson forget what the hell he was doing?

Foad

« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2020, 04:41:11 PM »
How is it not true that the lack of depth and lack of big man were not on Mullin last year?

Last year's roster short comings were absolutely the fault of the head coach.

My turn: how is it true that we had the best roster in the BE if we were lacking in depth and lacking big men?

Don't bother responding, that's a rhetorical question.

Admit the hate. It's healthy.

Foad

« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2020, 04:46:05 PM »
The answer to every question in the first paragraph is no.

I didn't ask any questions in the first paragraph? Or the second? Or the third? Hint: questions are followed by punctuation called question marks? Second hint: learn to count to four or look up the meaning of paragraph?

Marillac

« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2020, 04:52:59 PM »
Anderson would have won 3-4 conference games last year if he was our coach.

Ponds may have left mid-year to preserve his NBA chances.

« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2020, 06:47:14 PM »

Maybe the most talented starting 5, our bench was shit. Under lavin & mullin our bench was always shit. Imagine if we had 3 guys off the bench giving us 15-20 without much of a drop off? This year we have depth but the starting 5 isn't really that good.
Maybe one year we'll get it right.

« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2020, 06:52:14 PM »

What happened to Mullin going through the back doors at local h.s. to see top local kids?
That was all B.S. the sob just wanted to go back to cali in the summer and told lard ass to recruit everyone. Rather play horse with mitch.

« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2020, 07:49:04 PM »
What happened to Mullin going through the back doors at local h.s. to see top local kids?
That was all B.S. the sob just wanted to go back to cali in the summer and told lard ass to recruit everyone. Rather play horse with mitch.

Do you know how people recruit these days? Imagine this concept... phone calls,texts and emails.