Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK

• 491 replies
Re: Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK
« Reply #320 on: February 21, 2020, 04:24:35 PM »
'I for one can’t understand why mullin was shit canned after it. Their was clear upward trajectory.

I admit I was a little nervous at first, He seemed much better.

Year 4 - Clear upward trajectory.' 
I knew that you were a reasonable man and that I could bring you around using patience, facts and logic.

SJUFAN

« Reply #321 on: February 21, 2020, 04:26:11 PM »
Wins are objective and can be measured:

1st season   8-24
2nd season 14-19
3rd season  16-17
4th season  21-13*

*Ncaa tournament bid

Take note of the upward trajectory and the * footnote.

In what universe is a overall record of 59-73 (20-52 BE record) not terrible?

Take note of the 3rd season. 16-17 (4-14) with 3 NBA players in the starting lineup and we couldn’t muster a .500 record or qualify for the NIT. How is that not anything less than terrible? You believe that was a good season because we improved over the previous year?

SJUFAN

« Reply #322 on: February 21, 2020, 04:34:17 PM »
I love how you say that the win over a top 25 team in Arizona is because of Anderson, but when they blow leads to Seton Hall, Xavier, and others down the stretch of the game its on on the players because they don't have much talent. I just do not get it.

Wins and loses are both on players. Anderson’s system, defensively, is what put us in position to win these games.

Foad

« Reply #323 on: February 21, 2020, 04:34:29 PM »
Bottom line is we were deeper last year.

You're delusional.

« Reply #324 on: February 21, 2020, 04:46:32 PM »

Take note of the 3rd season. 16-17 (4-14) with 3 NBA players in the starting lineup and we couldn’t muster a .500 record or qualify for the NIT. How is that not anything less than terrible? You believe that was a good season because we improved over the previous year?

Would you have fired Kevin Willard after 4 seasons? 66-65

After 5 seasons 82-80?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #325 on: February 21, 2020, 06:42:09 PM »
Not argue, they did. Roberts, Earlington, Williams, and 4* big Keita.
Keita was unplayably bad last season and you know it.

« Reply #326 on: February 21, 2020, 06:43:08 PM »
Bottom line is we were deeper last year.
"There are none so blind than those that will not see".
- B are F

TONYD3

« Reply #327 on: February 21, 2020, 06:43:40 PM »
And you me boy gave him 2 years of scholarship. Hysterical! You think you are arguing in favor of mullin.

TONYD3

« Reply #328 on: February 21, 2020, 06:44:38 PM »

After 5 seasons 82-80?
Kevin Williard was working his ass off. Those guys get a little more leeway. He is also competent. Not the same thing.

SJUFAN

« Reply #329 on: February 21, 2020, 06:45:27 PM »
You're delusional.

Roberts was third string last year, this year he’s our starter. It’s not because he’s improved so much year over year.

« Reply #330 on: February 21, 2020, 06:46:04 PM »
And you me boy gave him 2 years of scholarship. Hysterical! You think you are arguing in favor of mullin.
I'm not arguing for Chris and against CFC -  I'm stating facts. You've admitted that you are unable to comprehend my very simple points. Let's leave it at that.

TONYD3

« Reply #331 on: February 21, 2020, 06:52:10 PM »
I'm not arguing for Chris and against CFC -  I'm stating facts. You've admitted that you are unable to comprehend my very simple points. Let's leave it at that.
Keita sucked and he is a terrible person. And your boy gave him 2 years of scholarship. A normal person would see that as a red flag against the coach. Not you. Just more bad luck for coach mullin.
Imagine if he actually spent time scouting and recruiting players. Maybe just maybe keita and Trimble wouldn’t have been here.
Oh shit, forgot about Mikey Dixon. 2 years and 8 big east minutes. Imagine if your boy tried? He might have had some depth on his team.
What is your point again?

SJUFAN

« Reply #332 on: February 21, 2020, 06:54:02 PM »

After 5 seasons 82-80?

Was KW losing at home to NJIT and giving up 90 points getting blown out by power house St. Thomas Aquinas?

Unfortunately those were harbinger of things to come. Sorry I don’t believe just trying to out score your opponent without focusing on defense and rebounding is a recipe for success. We were still going to be bad this year if we hadn’t made a coaching change.

SJUFAN

« Reply #333 on: February 21, 2020, 07:03:48 PM »

He’s a big body who can bang down low and run the floor. He wasn’t afraid of contact. He played over Roberts for a reason.

« Reply #334 on: February 21, 2020, 07:58:36 PM »

In no universe. It's an awful record for St. Johns.

Yet following down that path, what incentive, other than money of course, would there be for any coach to accept a complete rebuild/overhaul only to be criticized eventually on your overall record when the reality is there was absolutely no chance in hell to have anything but a horrendous record your first two seasons?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 08:01:56 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #335 on: February 21, 2020, 07:59:49 PM »
He’s a big body who can bang down low and run the floor. He wasn’t afraid of contact. He played over Roberts for a reason.
He had no positive attributes. Unplayable.

Foad

« Reply #336 on: February 21, 2020, 08:01:03 PM »
Roberts was third string last year, this year he’s our starter. It’s not because he’s improved so much year over year.

You postulate that SJU was "deeper last year" than this. Last year SJU played five guys 30 plus minutes a game. The sixth most minutes went to Mikey Dixon, who left mid year, and the seventh to Brian Trimble. Your proof that last year's team had more depth than this is that Josh Roberts, who played six minutes a game last year starts on this years team and plays nearly 20 minutes a game among eight players who play more than 15 minutes a game and nine who play double figure minutes. 

I'd say I don't like to call people stupid but that woud be a lie. I love to call people names, especially people who oblige me by demonstrating how appropriate the names I call tham are. Like you've just done.

« Reply #337 on: February 21, 2020, 08:07:46 PM »
You postulate that SJU was "deeper last year" than this. Last year SJU played five guys 30 plus minutes a game. The sixth most minutes went to Mikey Dixon, who left mid year, and the seventh to Brian Trimble. Your proof that last year's team had more depth than this is that Josh Roberts, who played six minutes a game last year starts on this years team and plays nearly 20 minutes a game among eight players who play more than 15 minutes a game and nine who play double figure minutes. 

I'd say I don't like to call people stupid but that woud be a lie. I love to call people names, especially people who oblige me by demonstrating how appropriate the names I call tham are. Like you've just done.
Hey I like that. Go right to a comparison of minutes played as proof of depth. Who could argue with that?

Foad

« Reply #338 on: February 21, 2020, 08:09:08 PM »
He played over Roberts for a reason.

Would this be the same Roberts who just two posts ago you cited as proof of why SJ had such great depth last year? Or was that another Roberts you were referring to? Julia Roberts maybe? Doris? Oral? Pernell? They were all such great ball players. Do tell. 

« Reply #339 on: February 21, 2020, 08:21:44 PM »
It's somewhat surprising that the traitors are not appreciative of the upward trajectory that Mullin's coaching career exemplified as it's exactly the same one followed by two semi-recent fan favorite player classes:

The Paris Horne class was hammered unmercifully on this board for three years until they finally broke through in their senior season with an opening game Ncaa tournament loss. Now Hilton, DJ, JB1, Malik2, Evans et all are remembered fondly due solely to their final season.

The Phil Greene class met the same derogatory treatment here for three years until they finally broke through in their senior season with an opening game Ncaa tournament loss.
Now the Rectangle, 3'lo and Sir Dom are widely revered.

Why did the most important figure in the history of the program not get justified recognition and appreciation from some for the same departing triumph?