Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK

• 491 replies

Foad

Re: Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK
« Reply #380 on: February 24, 2020, 03:11:46 PM »
question for you Why do I have to have Chris Mullin on this pedestal when I never saw him play once? As a younger generation fan the only Mullin memories I have is how he was an awful Coach. That's my memory. I was not even born when he was playing. Yes he is the schools best player and I will respect that and cheer for him whenever he is back at MSG but he played in the 80's and has ZERO relevance to my St. John's Rooting years.....awesome he was hell of a player a legend at st. johns but he was a AWFUL coach and will be forever linked to that also......Get out of the 80's we are in 2020. We are not talking about playing years we are talking about his Coaching.

Answer for you: I don't think you have to have Chris Mullin on a pedestal. Maybe Carmine does, but he's not terribly bright. Ignore him, I have for 10 years and my life is far the richer for it. As to your memories I'm not much for post modernism but in this case you have your own version of the truth and you have every right to it.

Now I have question for you: why are we talking about Chris Mullin at all? He's not the coach, he's no longer affiliated with the university and I suspect that other than LC's funeral we're never going to see him again. So why are we talking about him? As far as I can tell it's because the only way defenders of Coach Home Run can defend Coach Home Run is to say well at least he's better than Mullin and to blame Mullin for CHR's failings. Well, in the first place, we'll see if CHR is better, because I think he stinks and as a long time SJ fan I can recognize stink when I see it. And in the second if Mullin was an AWFUL coach in all capital letters what kind of defense of CHR is it to say that he's better than AWFUL. There's lots of things that aren't awful that are still terrifically unpleasant. A pus-shake is better than a shit sandwich. (I speak from experience.) That's doesn't mean pus is delicious. Pol Pot murdered fewer people than Stalin, does that mean Pol Pot was a benevolent ruler? Or is it possible that neither had the best interest of their subjects at heart.

I can understand people who say: sure, this year kind of stinks but a little patience is in order, give the guy with a track record of success a chance to bring in his own players and implement his own system and develop a winning culture. That's reasonable. I don't know that that's what's happening but that's at least reasonable. What isn't reasonable is to say that this shit show of a year is the fault of the former AWFUL coach who despite having recruited the most talented roster in the BE last year left his predecessor with the worst roster in the league this year and that therefore we're completely rebuilding with two all BE preseason players who comprised 40 percent of the most talented roster evah. What isn't reasonable is to say that well, the coaches picked SJ ninth, so CHR is doing just about what was expected of him, but that OTOH the two all BE preseason players who are not performing up to expectations, that has nothing to do with the coach not putting them in a position to be successful - like they were under the most AWFUL coach evah - it's because they were highly over rated by exactly the same people who were 100 percent dead on balls accurate in their prediction about ninth place. See the contradiction there? Because I do.

Regarding Mullin being "forever linked to" being awful, yeah no, that's not going to happen. Mullin will forever be linked to being a two time HOF basketball players and arguably the greatest player in SJ history and his coaching record will be an asterisk. Nobody forever links Ted Williams to being a mediocre manager, they remember him as the greatest hitter in baseball history. Nobody mentions Wayne Gretsky's moribund coaching record, he's just the greatest. Remembering Mullin as a failed coach - and nearly nobody does except for a few chronic malcontent posters in an obscure corner of the internets - is like remembering Willie Mays as a guy who got bonked on the head with a fly ball in 1973. It's ahistorical nonsense.

« Reply #381 on: February 24, 2020, 04:33:01 PM »
Carmine makes nicknames for every player. 
I just thought of a new one I want to start using for Champagnie.

Dom P, get it? It works on two levels. It's like Dominic Pointer - but champagne.

goredmen

« Reply #382 on: February 24, 2020, 04:41:58 PM »
Nobody forever links Ted Williams to being a mediocre manager, they remember him as the greatest hitter in baseball history.

I remember him for his frozen head

« Reply #383 on: February 24, 2020, 04:49:03 PM »
question for you Why do I have to have Chris Mullin on this pedestal when I never saw him play once? As a younger generation fan the only Mullin memories I have is how he was an awful Coach. That's my memory. I was not even born when he was playing. Yes he is the schools best player and I will respect that and cheer for him whenever he is back at MSG but he played in the 80's and has ZERO relevance to my St. John's Rooting years.....awesome he was hell of a player a legend at st. johns but he was a AWFUL coach and will be forever linked to that also......Get out of the 80's we are in 2020. We are not talking about playing years we are talking about his Coaching.
I apologize in advance for climbing a soap box and for the two old guy responses in one day. I saw Doc's screed.

You don't have to have Chris Mullin on a pedestal.

Still, I never saw Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio play - I wasn't even born while they were playing, yet I do have them up on a pedestal.  I'm sure it doesn't apply to you, but it seems that the younger generation of today; a) don't read and b) have no sense of history.

I've read so much about and heard so many great things about the aforementioned Yankee legends that I revere them even though they were way ahead of my time. In my perfect world it would be the same with Chris from all those that consider themselves Johnny fans.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 04:50:31 PM by carmineabbatiello »

cjfish

« Reply #384 on: February 25, 2020, 10:36:25 AM »
pain

cjfish

« Reply #385 on: February 25, 2020, 10:37:25 AM »

Dom P, get it? It works on two levels. It's like Dominic Pointer - but champagne.

Pain

Marillac

« Reply #386 on: February 25, 2020, 12:50:29 PM »

It’s stupid on multiple levels. Pointer and Champagnie are polar oppostites. Dom was all athletic talent and Champagnie is all skill.

Marillac

« Reply #387 on: February 25, 2020, 12:59:27 PM »
Anderson is a bad strategist and in-game coach that can be very successful if he recruits enough good players that fit his unique style.

What part of that is debatable? You’ve got four guys trying to convince the whole forum that he has it all as a coach. Spoiler alert:  he was just fired. Another spoiler alert:  we will never attract a coach who isn’t deeply flawed in one area or another.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he know what he wants in a recruit and can attract the type of player he needs here. That’s not enough for some guys who feel the need to hammer their point through ten posts a day acting like he’s also Mike Dunlap on the dry erase board. That’s pure delusion. Accept him for what he is and shut up.

TONYD3

« Reply #388 on: February 25, 2020, 01:07:41 PM »
Anderson is a bad strategist and in-game coach that can be very successful if he recruits enough good players that fit his unique style.

What part of that is debatable? You’ve got four guys trying to convince the whole forum that he has it all as a coach. Spoiler alert:  he was just fired. Another spoiler alert:  we will never attract a coach who isn’t deeply flawed in one area or another.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he know what he wants in a recruit and can attract the type of player he needs here. That’s not enough for some guys who feel the need to hammer their point through ten posts a day acting like he’s also Mike Dunlap on the dry erase board. That’s pure delusion. Accept him for what he is and shut up.
Welcome back, great post. Plenty of new info. Mike Dunlap is probably better on a dry erase board, as is Greg St. Jean. Neither is or will ever be as accomplished as our home run hire Mike Anderson. No delusions just google it.
Dunlap has 1 winning season in 6 at Loyola Marymount. His record is 80-105. Mike Anderson will win his 400th game next year and is 170 games over .500
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:12:25 PM by TONYD3 »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #389 on: February 25, 2020, 01:37:26 PM »
If your optimistic on coach Anderson being successful here, this season not going to change your mind. If your a pessimist, the same goes for you.

It feels like this season could’ve (should’ve?) been more then it was. A lot of close losses and it feeling like the team grabbing defeat from the hands of victory.

Blame it on someone or some reason, but at the end of the day the buck stops with the coach, and the AD picked him.

Cougar O' Malley

SJUFAN

« Reply #390 on: February 25, 2020, 01:53:19 PM »

Saying Anderson is a good coach does not mean he is absent of flaw. No one is saying this. He can have flaws and still be good for the program similar to Lavin.

« Reply #391 on: February 25, 2020, 01:58:06 PM »
It’s stupid on multiple levels. Pointer and Champagnie are polar oppostites. Dom was all athletic talent and Champagnie is all skill.
Ok. How about Moet?

Marillac

« Reply #392 on: February 25, 2020, 07:57:00 PM »
Saying Anderson is a good coach does not mean he is absent of flaw. No one is saying this. He can have flaws and still be good for the program similar to Lavin.

Everyone is flawed you f*cking mongoloid. That statement has no relevance to any conversation on any topic. Ever. That Charles Manson, he’s not without flaws.

I just hope for your sake that you are not actually this stupid, and you are actually just a prolific troll that pretends to be stupid to piss people off. I could get behind the latter.

TONYD3

« Reply #393 on: February 25, 2020, 08:36:37 PM »
Everyone is flawed you f*cking mongoloid. That statement has no relevance to any conversation on any topic. Ever. That Charles Manson, he’s not without flaws.

I just hope for your sake that you are not actually this stupid, and you are actually just a prolific troll that pretends to be stupid to piss people off. I could get behind the latter.

What’s wrong with you?

« Reply #394 on: February 25, 2020, 09:16:56 PM »
What’s wrong with you?
He's just a happy go lucky guy.

TONYD3

« Reply #395 on: February 25, 2020, 09:23:47 PM »
He's just a happy go lucky guy.
It is kind of funny

« Reply #396 on: February 25, 2020, 10:10:55 PM »

This is crazy bro. Just take a step back.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #397 on: February 25, 2020, 10:33:31 PM »

You are the latter.

Marillac

« Reply #398 on: February 25, 2020, 11:30:03 PM »
This is crazy bro. Just take a step back.

I’m not crazy. I am just not absent flaw.

Marillac

« Reply #399 on: February 25, 2020, 11:30:26 PM »
You are the latter.

You fell off a ladder.