Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK

• 491 replies

goredmen

Re: Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2020, 07:22:48 PM »
Now do the breakdown from Tennessee to St. John’s. It is even bigger. Stop playing things one way.

You constantly say how hard it is for Freshmen big men to be good and now you're trying to compare Owens' jump from his 4th year in college to his 5th year in college to the jump he made from his 1st year to his 3rd year. You know that's comparing apples to razor blades but anything for you to make a point and not look like an idiot I guess.

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2020, 10:05:27 PM »
You constantly say how hard it is for Freshmen big men to be good and now you're trying to compare Owens' jump from his 4th year in college to his 5th year in college to the jump he made from his 1st year to his 3rd year. You know that's comparing apples to razor blades but anything for you to make a point and not look like an idiot I guess.

I am not the one who is seeking to credit or discredit a coach. If the poster is going to attempt to credit the third coach of a two-time transfer for improvements without acknowledging the improvements the player made after his first transfer, then that shows obvious bias. How is that debatable?

Nobody on this forum has even suggested Mullin was good...of course he can’t hold Chris Beard’s jockstrap!

Owens’ raw stats were nearly identical. Who would you expect Owens to play better next to...a PF that plays on the perimeter like Clark or a 5th-year 250 lb senior who plays down low and averaged almost 20 mpg on his 5-year career at Tech? Whst about the #6 overall draft pick on Culver over an undrsfted G-Leaguer like Ponds? You can go position by position and Tech destroys our 2017-2018 by a wide margin everywhere. Of course he’s going to be more efficient!!!!

SJUFAN

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2020, 10:35:54 PM »
Owens’ raw stats were nearly identical. Who would you expect Owens to play better next to...a PF that plays on the perimeter like Clark or a 5th-year 250 lb senior who plays down low and averaged almost 20 mpg on his 5-year career at Tech? Whst about the #6 overall draft pick on Culver over an undrsfted G-Leaguer like Ponds? You can go position by position and Tech destroys our 2017-2018 by a wide margin everywhere. Of course he’s going to be more efficient!!!!

Interesting concept. So Anderson doesn’t know how to use Heron and LJ but for Owens supporting cast does play a factor. Go figure.

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2020, 10:43:05 PM »
Interesting concept. So Anderson doesn’t know how to use Heron and LJ but for Owens supporting cast does play a factor. Go figure.

Who ever said supporting cast doesn’t play a factor? Keep creating strawman arguments to respond to.

Unlike you and your fellow dummies I don’t have to reduce everything down to binary.

TONYD3

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2020, 10:59:21 PM »
Who ever said supporting cast doesn’t play a factor? Keep creating strawman arguments to respond to.

Unlike you and your fellow dummies I don’t have to reduce everything down to binary.

You realize he left because of the coach right? Not the supporting cast. No other reason. Tariq liked St. John’s

goredmen

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2020, 11:02:58 PM »
I am not the one who is seeking to credit or discredit a coach. If the poster is going to attempt to credit the third coach of a two-time transfer for improvements without acknowledging the improvements the player made after his first transfer, then that shows obvious bias. How is that debatable?

Nobody on this forum has even suggested Mullin was good...of course he can’t hold Chris Beard’s jockstrap!

Thank you for admitting you were wrong

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2020, 11:13:47 PM »
Thank you for admitting you were wrong

What claim did I make and how was it wrong? Reading comprehension errors and a bad memory have become your caing cards.

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2020, 11:19:50 PM »
I don't know how some people of here can bash Lavin and praise Mullin. Lavin was way better and more successful. How can you say oh Mullin Left Anderson Mustapah and LJ two preseason all Big east 2nd team players and then turn around and say Lavin left Mullin with the worst roster in school history when Jordan and Obekpa were actually left here. It has to go both ways here on both sides.

Dave, if you had to choose who would you rather have as the coach of your program Lavin or Mullin? I feel like you are unbiased and honest so I will ask you that.

Lavin without hesitation
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2020, 12:09:39 AM »
What claim did I make and how was it wrong? Reading comprehension errors and a bad memory have become your caing cards.

Apology accepted

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2020, 12:16:39 AM »
Ponds - Raptors
Owens- Suns
Simon - Bulls (he's definitely gonna get called up. Playing really well.)

As for a lot of a lot of Owens discussion. I thought his skill development took a large leap at St. John's. If you want credit that purely to maturation I don't think that's fair.

The point still remains Mullin era had some positives. I still firmly believe if the school doubled down on Mullin with an extension and enabled him to expand staff they would have been just fine this year and beyond.

I think there is a good chance they would have been able to convince Simon to have stayed. We would have been top half of conference and dancing.

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2020, 12:23:02 AM »
I don't know how some people of here can bash Lavin and praise Mullin. Lavin was way better and more successful. How can you say oh Mullin Left Anderson Mustapah and LJ two preseason all Big east 2nd team players and then turn around and say Lavin left Mullin with the worst roster in school history when Jordan and Obekpa were actually left here. It has to go both ways here on both sides.

Dave, if you had to choose who would you rather have as the coach of your program Lavin or Mullin? I feel like you are unbiased and honest so I will ask you that.

Jordan was not going to be on the roster even if Lavin was here. He was not going to classes and his academics were in shambles. Obekpa was gone too. He never suited up in college again.

Mullin had the worst administration in sju sports history. Atleast Lavin had Orange Man. Mullin had an interim and then they hired Goff, who had no idea what he was doing. They couldn't even retain lower level support staff. They couldn't provide proper transportation or food for their student athletes. It was a joke.

Lav had hit his ceiling with this program. He brought in some great talent, but that well was drying out and his heart wasn't in it anymore. He had marital problems, Cancer, Pops dying.

If Cragg was here for the start of the Mullin era this program would be taking off.

goredmen

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2020, 12:32:10 AM »
Ponds - Raptors
Owens- Suns
Simon - Bulls (he's definitely gonna get called up. Playing really well.)

As for a lot of a lot of Owens discussion. I thought his skill development took a large leap at St. John's. If you want credit that purely to maturation I don't think that's fair.

The point still remains Mullin era had some positives. I still firmly believe if the school doubled down on Mullin with an extension and enabled him to expand staff they would have been just fine this year and beyond.

I think there is a good chance they would have been able to convince Simon to have stayed. We would have been top half of conference and dancing.

What do you think his staff would look like this year had he stayed? Just curious

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2020, 12:36:22 AM »
What do you think his staff would look like this year had he stayed? Just curious

That depends on if he got an extension or not. You're not going to get anyone worth a damn if people believe you're a lame duck.

SJUFAN

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2020, 01:33:10 AM »
Who ever said supporting cast doesn’t play a factor?

I must have missed you stating that as part of the reason Heron and LJ aren’t performing up to their pre-season billing.

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2020, 01:40:55 AM »
Jordan was not going to be on the roster even if Lavin was here. He was not going to classes and his academics were in shambles. Obekpa was gone too. He never suited up in college again.

Mullin had the worst administration in sju sports history. Atleast Lavin had Orange Man. Mullin had an interim and then they hired Goff, who had no idea what he was doing. They couldn't even retain lower level support staff. They couldn't provide proper transportation or food for their student athletes. It was a joke.

Lav had hit his ceiling with this program. He brought in some great talent, but that well was drying out and his heart wasn't in it anymore. He had marital problems, Cancer, Pops dying.

If Cragg was here for the start of the Mullin era this program would be taking off.

Lots of great points in your post including recalling that they couldn't even get food for their student athletes but I will add that their coach may have been able to help in that department if he wasn't 3,000 miles away.

Marillac

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2020, 02:21:42 AM »
I must have missed you stating that as part of the reason Heron and LJ aren’t performing up to their pre-season billing.

How stupid are you exactly? Do you think that players can’t be good at all because there are less talented players around them? Everyone on this forum, including yourself, has identified players they think have been playing well this year. Do levels not exist to you?

Heron has been awful. We aren’t seeing a guy who is just less efficient. Would he be better with more talent around him? Probably. Is that the main reason for his struggles? I think the answer is an obvious no, but you can’t beat an idiot in an argument. It’s impossible.

Coach Anderson himself would tell you that he targets a specific type of player for his system. Heron is not that guy by a long shot. Heron probably wouldn’t be that guy for Boeheim either, but you bet your arse a guy like Tony Bennett would want him.

Do you honestly think certain players don’t fit certain systems or philosophies better than others?

What are the odds that our best two returning half court players—players who were regarded by league coaches as among the best 12 in the conference—would both get worse with a new coach?

I’ve gone out of my to give Anderson the benefit of the doubt that he is laying the groundwork for the future instead of catering too two star players who won’t be here beyond this season.

But you’d rather trash two college kids and Mullin.

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2020, 02:28:12 AM »
He was left nothing also.
It is impossible that anybody believes Lavin was left with nothing.
Hopefully our new coach is better. 
Reality check. Mark the date. The Honeymoon is over.

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2020, 02:30:45 AM »
Fit your narrative? 20-59 isn’t ok. 20-59 is disgraceful
It's a lot better percentage wise than the coach who's a$$ you've been kissing since April.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 02:37:36 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2020, 03:49:29 AM »
Lavin without hesitation

I totally agree and its not even close. Its sad looking back at it now, I think Lavin could have had a career here like Cooley has had at Providence, in or on the cusp of the tournament every year with some continuity.

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2020, 03:57:12 AM »
I thought Mullin axed the idea of bringing mike rice in. I just don't get why he didn't make Mitch a special advisor and hire a real coach and recruiter.