Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK

• 491 replies

Foad

Re: Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2020, 09:33:05 AM »
Really? How dumb is my take Dave?

I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid.

I'll field this one, I think Dave's busy. Your take is quite dumb. By the time Lavin left SJU when he wasn't scouring the south of France for program changers like Amar Alibeowitz he was recruiting kids on their way to prison and grinning sociopaths who wore their shorts pulled up over their ears and exchanging transcripts with corrupt academics in darkened parking lots. He was not recruiting at a high level and had not been for several years.

I'd hope that Chiles was recruiting various HS athletes, Ponds and whoever else, in NYC and elsewhere. That was after all his job. If we give Lavin credit for landing them, if some of them committed to some other school after Mullin got hired, does Lavin get credit for not landing them? Probably that's on Mullin, huh. Because Mullin bad. And if instead of hiring Mullin they'd rehired Norm and Ponds committed elsewhere that's probably be on Norm. Because Norm bad.

After SJ beat Syracuse Mullin's first year in a game where Mussini made five threes Mullin went out of his way to credit Louie for Mussini's recruitment. He said something like I don't speak Italian. In the post game classy Steve Lavin dismissed Lou's involvement and took credit for Mussini as "my guy." What might have happened do you think if Mussini had missed those threes. Probably he's Mullin's guy then huh. Because Mullin bad.

Rinse and repeat.

TONYD3

« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2020, 09:50:31 AM »
I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid.

I'll field this one, I think Dave's busy. Your take is quite dumb. By the time Lavin left SJU when he wasn't scouring the south of France for program changers like Amar Alibeowitz he was recruiting kids on their way to prison and grinning sociopaths who wore their shorts pulled up over their ears and exchanging transcripts with corrupt academics in darkened parking lots. He was not recruiting at a high level and had not been for several years.

I'd hope that Chiles was recruiting various HS athletes, Ponds and whoever else, in NYC and elsewhere. That was after all his job. If we give Lavin credit for landing them, if some of them committed to some other school after Mullin got hired, does Lavin get credit for not landing them? Probably that's on Mullin, huh. Because Mullin bad. And if instead of hiring Mullin they'd rehired Norm and Ponds committed elsewhere that's probably be on Norm. Because Norm bad.

After SJ beat Syracuse Mullin's first year in a game where Mussini made five threes Mullin went out of his way to credit Louie for Mussini's recruitment. He said something like I don't speak Italian. In the post game classy Steve Lavin dismissed Lou's involvement and took credit for Mussini as "my guy." What might have happened do you think if Mussini had missed those threes. Probably he's Mullin's guy then huh. Because Mullin bad.

Rinse and repeat.
One of the few things we have agreed on was missini as you named him sucked. I give mullin plenty of credit for bringing him in. Lavin targeted him he deserves blame. They can also share blame for the German. Both recuited him here. And both get blame for amar. Both recruited him here.
Foady at least you are trying to win an argument with your non sense.
Ready2rumble really believes mullin was doing a good job. That’s the scariest thing I have heard in a long time. Coach fxck you was in a coaching groove? Can’t make that shit up.

ras

« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2020, 10:34:48 AM »
 I’m not saying Mullin could not have turned things around, But besides staff make up , two other things turned off many fans, one was his lack of recruiting and two was all the time he spent in California. Regarding Anderson, he is a hard worker, put together a nice staff, but I am going to wait until next year to evaluated him, can’t get a true handle on him yet.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:38:04 AM by ras »

« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2020, 10:42:20 AM »
The thing with Mussini was he was forced to play too much too soon at PG on a very bad team.

A year later he had a reduced role and his efficiency increased a lot. He played 10 less mpg and averaged 2 less ppg. His 3pt% increased a ton.

He was only a sophomore. Coaching staff should have done more to keep him happy it was an area that they struggled mightily.

Look at a guy like Sean McDermott for Butler or Colin Gillespie for Villanova. Both I wouldn't consider strong defenders or physically imposing but each has made strides as they became upperclassmen.

Mussini as a junior and senior playing along side Ponds, Lovett, Simon would have been way better than Bryan Trimble or Mikey Dixon.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2020, 12:14:38 PM »

Mussini as a junior and senior playing along side Ponds, Lovett, Simon would have been way better than Bryan Trimble or Mikey Dixon.

+100
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2020, 12:25:12 PM »
The thing with Mussini was he was forced to play too much too soon at PG on a very bad team.

A year later he had a reduced role and his efficiency increased a lot. He played 10 less mpg and averaged 2 less ppg. His 3pt% increased a ton.

He was only a sophomore. Coaching staff should have done more to keep him happy it was an area that they struggled mightily.

Look at a guy like Sean McDermott for Butler or Colin Gillespie for Villanova. Both I wouldn't consider strong defenders or physically imposing but each has made strides as they became upperclassmen.

I agree with you about Mussini being an asset, but Gillespie and McDermott are on another planet than Mussini athletically.

TONYD3

« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2020, 12:34:48 PM »
Mussini was 150 pounds. Compared to other big east guards he was to slow, to short, and and not strong enough. The fact that he couldn’t even be a back up PG made recruiting him, whoever you blame for it a huge mistake. Imagine playing him and ponds at the same time, they would give up a 100 points a game.

Look at Marquette, 2 years ago they had Howard and Andrew rousey (who was way better then mussini) they scored plenty but didn’t win many games.

Mussini like Clarke accumulated stats but shouldn’t have been here. Guys like that were the reason we lost. How many big east games did either guy help us win?

Earlington everyone loves (I like him to). He plays hard and smart. But he is a liability. On a good team he isn’t playing. He gets his shot blocked like 3 times every game. How many rebounds would a taller player get? Unlike the other 2 he gets the most out of his ability and competes. It’s just tough to win with a guy like him playing 20 minutes a game.
And he is one of our better players.

« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2020, 12:51:55 PM »
I’m asking what you believe. Such as do you believe in God. None of us know for certain, but it doesn’t prevent you from proclaiming your belief.
Ok. I believe we would have made the Ncaa's this year under coach Mullin.

« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2020, 12:56:44 PM »
two other things turned off many fans, 
I don't think even one other thing turned off many fans as they showed up in droves and attendance was through the roof.  Unless in today's day and age a characteristic of turned off fans is purchasing tickets to basketball games.

TONYD3

« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2020, 01:06:15 PM »
I don't think even one other thing turned off many fans as they showed up in droves and attendance was through the roof.  Unless in today's day and age a characteristic of turned off fans is purchasing tickets to basketball games.
That’s actually true. For the most part NYC wanted to see Chris mullin. However fans who pay attention besides the 8 left on here knew he was a fraud.
I don’t check redmen.com very often. But I would bet Chris mullin is not a topic of conversation. They know he failed and have moved on.
Plenty of St. John’s fans on Twitter. Coach mullin isn’t very popular there.
The rest of the big east teams fan sites look at Anderson as a huge upgrade.

« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2020, 02:05:57 PM »
Ok. I believe we would have made the Ncaa's this year under coach Mullin.
Thanks for proving the old axiom that it is better to remain silent and have people think you an idiot than to speak up and remove all doubt.

ras

« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2020, 02:29:58 PM »
So you are telling me that you were happy w Mullins staff makeup, his , not Matt’s, recruiting and the time  he spent on campus during the summer months ?

« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2020, 02:47:17 PM »
Thanks for proving the old axiom that it is better to remain silent and have people think you an idiot than to speak up and remove all doubt.
He pressed me for an answer so I gave one. Making predictions about non existing presents and futures not a strong point.

Astute, spot on, truthful, unbiased real time analysis of past and present events and situations pertaining to St. John's basketball is my forte.

TONYD3

« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2020, 02:48:26 PM »
So you are telling me that you were happy w Mullins staff makeup, his , not Matt’s, recruiting and the time  he spent on campus during the summer months ?
I will answer for carmine. He will tell you neither he nor you are at practice. So who knows what the assistants do. 2 hall of famers are better then one. He will ignore the California part of your post. As of yet carmine has not figured out a way to explain the fact that mullin lives in California.

« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2020, 02:51:57 PM »
I don't concern myself much about assistant coaches. I think it's difficult to judge what they do and don't do unless you're really close to and involved with the program which I'm not.

I give all the credit, and blame, to the head coach as it's warranted.  I will say that losing Slice was probably a blow. Seems like a shame that he and Matt couldn't play nicer together in the sandbox.

I don't know what was done and not done by Chris over the summer months.

« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2020, 02:53:01 PM »
I agree with you about Mussini being an asset, but Gillespie and McDermott are on another planet than Mussini athletically.

How so?

If there is any difference its marginal. Maturation has helped Gillespie (more comparable size wise) put on some muscle to help him take contact and defensively but still he's not upper echelon athletically but still makes significant impact for his team. 

« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2020, 02:53:26 PM »
I will answer for carmine. 
Please don't as you and I are polar opposites.

« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2020, 02:58:32 PM »
Mussini was 150 pounds. Compared to other big east guards he was to slow, to short, and and not strong enough. The fact that he couldn’t even be a back up PG made recruiting him, whoever you blame for it a huge mistake. Imagine playing him and ponds at the same time, they would give up a 100 points a game.

Look at Marquette, 2 years ago they had Howard and Andrew rousey (who was way better then mussini) they scored plenty but didn’t win many games.

Mussini like Clarke accumulated stats but shouldn’t have been here. Guys like that were the reason we lost. How many big east games did either guy help us win?

Earlington everyone loves (I like him to). He plays hard and smart. But he is a liability. On a good team he isn’t playing. He gets his shot blocked like 3 times every game. How many rebounds would a taller player get? Unlike the other 2 he gets the most out of his ability and competes. It’s just tough to win with a guy like him playing 20 minutes a game.
And he is one of our better players.

Marquette won 19 and 21 games respectively and finished 4th and 6th in conference. Sign me up!!  Additionally we're comparing Rousey who led them in scoring and minutes vs Mussini who we saying as 3rd guard, 6th man.

I think this further proves my point that he could have been valuable asset as an upperclassmen.

ras

« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2020, 02:59:27 PM »
I don't concern myself much about assistant coaches. I think it's difficult to judge what they do and don't do unless you're really close to and involved with the program which I'm not.

I give all the credit, and blame, to the head coach as it's warranted.  I will say that losing Slice was probably a blow. Seems like a shame that he and Matt couldn't play nicer together in the sandbox.

I don't know what was done and not done by Chris over the summer months.
Mitch had no  coaching experience. Although, I too am not close to the program, and far from a bb expert, moving him to top assistant coupled w Mullins inexperience was not the smartest move. Regarding the summer months, he wasn’t coaching the players, he wasn’t going to AAU events and he wasn’t recruiting. I do not believe to many people would dispute that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:54:45 PM by ras »

« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2020, 03:00:44 PM »
Tony... also to your criticisms of Earlington.

He's a sophomore off the bench who barely played as a freshman. He's leading the team in FG% and provides a spark nearly all the time.

Through the moon with what he brings to the table and how he's progressing. What is the problem?!?