Nova 1/28

• 213 replies

Poison

Re: Nova 1/28
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2020, 01:17:06 AM »
I'm quite sure that preseason polls are predicated on the team as a whole - not just roster. It can be viewed as rival coaches condemnation of our coaching staff as much as of our roster.  Not that I assign much value to coaches preseason team predictions.

I highly doubt that the other BE coaches picked us last because of Mike Anderson. It had to do with our roster. That’s it.

« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2020, 01:26:01 AM »
The problem is some in this forum apparently believe Heron and LJ should average 20 points a game. If they were capable of this we wouldn’t have been picked to finish second to last.
There you go again. Preseason polling is based on the team as a whole. Coaching and playing alike.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:32:37 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2020, 01:31:45 AM »
I highly doubt that the other BE coaches picked us last because of Mike Anderson. It had to do with our roster. That’s it.
No, it's an opinion, and not one I value highly mind you, of how the TEAM will finish. That's clearly coaches, players, trainers, managers, administrators etc. The works.

« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2020, 01:58:28 AM »
Can we stop with this Narrative. They aren’t playing poorly, they are playing as expected. LJ is averaging more points, assists, steals, and blocks than last year. Heron is averaging 1 point fewer than last year but playing 6 fewer minutes per game.

The problem is some in this forum apparently believe Heron and LJ should average 20 points a game. If they were capable of this we wouldn’t have been picked to finish second to last.

They actually definitely are playing poorly. How canyon beat WVU and Arizona and not be able to win a conference game besides Depaul? Its not the offense? Then why do they consistently go on long scoring droughts  of 3-5 minutes essentially every game. The roster definitely isn't that talented but I don't know what you are watching.

LJ is shooting 13% worse from the field this year and 3% worse form 3. Mustapha is shooting 5 percent worse and 2 % worse from 3. Yeah of course their numbers were way up in the beginning of the year because of the out of conference schedule but they have not been good in conference play. You would think they would average around 17-20 points a game as a Junior and senior respectively, getting better from last year and the experience the they have.

Foad

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2020, 07:06:38 AM »
Actually, Depaul is 1-7.  So, they are in 9th place as per preseason predictions.  So you really cant say they are under performing but exactly where they were expected to be.

So you believe that a team that's 2-7 the fans of which were just three days ago parsing their way to an eleven seed in the NCAA tournament until it got humiliated on its home court, that team is not playing poorly, a word meaning "at a level that is considered inadequate." Rather you think that being in ninth place, seven game out of first place after nine games with a winning percentage of .22 was to be expected based on a preseason poll and is therefore not dissatisfactory.

Okay then.

SJUFAN

« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2020, 12:22:50 PM »

Actually, that is not true.  LJ's ppg are up in conference but his efficiency, shooting percentages, and offensive production rate are all way down.  Heron's in conference numbers are all down as well.  They might get better, worse, or remain the same. but comparing production mid-season vs. full year considering the strength of the Big East vs. OOC is poor analysis.

Actually...LJ average assists, blocks, steals, and points per game are higher than last year. Yes his shooting percentage is down which can be attributed to not having the benefit of playing along side two borderline NBA players, but that alone doesn’t support the statement that he is playing poorly when his numbers in other relevant categories has improved.

SJUFAN

« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2020, 12:40:32 PM »
They actually definitely are playing poorly. How canyon beat WVU and Arizona and not be able to win a conference game besides Depaul? Its not the offense? Then why do they consistently go on long scoring droughts  of 3-5 minutes essentially every game. The roster definitely isn't that talented but I don't know what you are watching.

LJ is shooting 13% worse from the field this year and 3% worse form 3. Mustapha is shooting 5 percent worse and 2 % worse from 3. Yeah of course their numbers were way up in the beginning of the year because of the out of conference schedule but they have not been good in conference play. You would think they would average around 17-20 points a game as a Junior and senior respectively, getting better from last year and the experience the they have.

Serious question...have you ever played sports in your life? Chess doesn’t count.

So because Rutherford scored 11 points against WVU he should be scoring 11 pt/gm in BE play and since he’s not it’s the offense. If (insert any coaches name here) was coaching Rutherford he would be scoring 11 points a game this year and next year if he was able to play should score 13-15 points per game cause of the experience he has. Got it, that’s sound analysis. Anderson doesn’t stand a chance.

SJUFAN

« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2020, 12:48:17 PM »
There you go again. Preseason polling is based on the team as a whole. Coaching and playing alike.

There you go again ascribing your personal opinion as gospel. You have no clue what it’s based on.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:48:45 PM by SJUFAN »

Marillac

« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2020, 02:29:45 PM »
I knew you were a fraud, this removes all doubt.

Cup check.

« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2020, 03:13:59 PM »
Disclaimer....I am not saying that posh will bring us a national championship, but he will def make us a better team....kid was a 5star prior to missing his junior season due to injury...to me he was the guy we needed to land from the local area...

Posh was never a 5 star. He is 5'10 with hops and an inconsistent jumper. He isn't Cole Anthony or even Andre Curbelo.

« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2020, 03:33:56 PM »
Posh was never a 5 star. He is 5'10 with hops and an inconsistent jumper. He isn't Cole Anthony or even Andre Curbelo.

The fact that he’s neither of those two (absolute studs) is not an issue at all. He’s a point guard and a damned good one.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2020, 03:35:50 PM »
That was a mistake. He was a 4 star

Marillac

« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2020, 05:41:33 PM »

It’s never about just the roster.

Marillac

« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2020, 05:45:09 PM »
Posh will be a huge upgrade. Him and McGriff will be night and day. That isn’t debatable.

Can Anderson even use a 5* well? I think that is a fair question. 

« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »

At the end of 10th grade kid was a top 60 rated player in the country...okay so maybe a high 4 star...definitely much higher rated then he is now....and I’ve seen both him and curbello love a few times each and I am quite sure that he fits our system just fine...

« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2020, 05:49:34 PM »
Posh will be a huge upgrade. Him and McGriff will be night and day. That isn’t debatable.

Can Anderson even use a 5* well? I think that is a fair question.

Your correct....huge upgrade, but how will they be utilized...only time will tell....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 05:49:51 PM by Johnnies93!! »

SJUFAN

« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2020, 09:51:27 PM »
Your correct....huge upgrade, but how will they be utilized...only time will tell....

Drive the ball, pass the ball, shoot the ball. It’s no different than what every coach in America does. The difference is can the players do it? There is a reason rat face sold his sole. It wasn’t for some ground breaking scheme that enables any player of any skill to score. No he knows that not possible, but what is possible is to get the players that can score regardless of what offensive system you run. Players make the system.

Rodman

« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2020, 10:52:59 PM »
So you believe that a team that's 2-7 the fans of which were just three days ago parsing their way to an eleven seed in the NCAA tournament until it got humiliated on its home court, that team is not playing poorly, a word meaning "at a level that is considered inadequate." Rather you think that being in ninth place, seven game out of first place after nine games with a winning percentage of .22 was to be expected based on a preseason poll and is therefore not dissatisfactory.

Okay then.

Yeah, absolutely.  Based on their talent level in comparison to the rest of the conference teams.  I never had high expectations for the team this year.  I am a realist.  I am amazed we were able to pull off wins against WV and UA.  We have the weakest roster in conference and lack a true BE level pg.  They have glaring weaknesses.  No one can deny this.  I would give the roster a 4.5 and the coaching a 7.

« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2020, 01:05:00 AM »
Serious question...have you ever played sports in your life? Chess doesn’t count.

So because Rutherford scored 11 points against WVU he should be scoring 11 pt/gm in BE play and since he’s not it’s the offense. If (insert any coaches name here) was coaching Rutherford he would be scoring 11 points a game this year and next year if he was able to play should score 13-15 points per game cause of the experience he has. Got it, that’s sound analysis. Anderson doesn’t stand a chance.

Even more serious answer, Yes and I coach at the high school level now. You just made yourself sound like a bigger fool, Rutherford has experience yes, but was he named as a preseason all second team player? I will answer that for you....no. Heron is a 5 star recruit that was really good at Auburn, what happened? He can't average 17-20 ppg as a senior and one of the main offensive options? Rutherford could not average 11 point per game under any coach. Im not a Mullin fan as a coach if you read posts properly. Ive actually been very critical of him.

« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2020, 01:54:07 AM »
There you go again ascribing your personal opinion as gospel.
I think you made a typing error. I know you meant "There you go again speaking the truth and spreading the gospel."
You have no clue what it’s based on.
Wrong again. I have a lot more clue than you might have imagined. When I was a college head coach I annually participated in preseason polling. It's a job duty. You can't escape it.