Georgetown 2/2

• 258 replies
Re: Georgetown 2/2
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2020, 11:15:42 PM »
What bothers me to no end, though, is the small but very vocal group of Anderson zealots that have been trying to make him out to be more then he is and have to take shots at Mullin.
I don't like that either. It's a f*ck*ng disgrace.

goredmen

« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2020, 11:19:08 PM »
These recruits are all solely attributed to Van Macon

What's your point here? Is it that Anderson hasn't proved he can recruit NYC kids yet because Macon got those players? Do you not credit Calipari or Coach K for getting kids when their Assistants take the lead on certain guys?

« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2020, 12:05:49 AM »
What I’m I wrong about? It looked like the play was just to get the ball into LJ and for him to do the rest. If that is the case, the play was successful. It wasn’t a good play, but it worked out. Sounds like y’all are trying to make something out of nothing.

What do you call that play? Throw it to LJ when he raises his hand and pray?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2020, 12:08:28 AM »
What's your point here? Is it that Anderson hasn't proved he can recruit NYC kids yet because Macon got those players? Do you not credit Calipari or Coach K for getting kids when their Assistants take the lead on certain guys?

There is no conspiracy theory or sub message here. Van Macon is responsible for those guys. Just as TJ Cleveland is responsible for Nick Rutherford.

goredmen

« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2020, 12:22:32 AM »
There is no conspiracy theory or sub message here. Van Macon is responsible for those guys. Just as TJ Cleveland is responsible for Nick Rutherford.

I still don't get the point of why you would say that then especially in response to a comment about Anderson bringing in local kids.

When Anderson was hired there were questions and concerns about if he'd be able to recruit local kids since he had zero connections to the area. In 10 months on the job he's landed Champagnie, Posh, Wusu and Dunn if you want to count him too. Those kids are coming to St. John's with Mike Anderson as Head Coach. He probably won't ever get the elite NY area kids (No SJU coach has since Fran) but he's already proven he'll be able to get local players.

« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2020, 12:46:35 AM »
I still don't get the point of why you would say that then especially in response to a comment about Anderson bringing in local kids.

When Anderson was hired there were questions and concerns about if he'd be able to recruit local kids since he had zero connections to the area. In 10 months on the job he's landed Champagnie, Posh, Wusu and Dunn if you want to count him too. Those kids are coming to St. John's with Mike Anderson as Head Coach. He probably won't ever get the elite NY area kids (No SJU coach has since Fran) but he's already proven he'll be able to get local players.

You're trying to make this into something more than it is. Glen Braica was responsible for Paris Horne and DJ Kennedy. This is what assistant coaches do. There isn't some deep cut to the head coach

Marillac

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2020, 12:52:19 AM »

I also don’t see the purpose in giving credit to assistants for recruits. Macon was his hire and recruits for him.

If Macon is bringing him good local players then that was a good hire.

« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2020, 12:58:04 AM »
I also don’t see the purpose in giving credit to assistants for recruits. Macon was his hire and recruits for him.

If Macon is bringing him good local players then that was a good hire.

I think he is just pointing out that Macon is the local contact and all locals will go through him. Which is the truth.

goredmen

« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2020, 01:15:23 AM »
You're trying to make this into something more than it is. Glen Braica was responsible for Paris Horne and DJ Kennedy. This is what assistant coaches do. There isn't some deep cut to the head coach

Exactly. There was no reason for you to say what you said unless you were trying to bring down Anderson, but you said it anyway. For some reason you have been anti-Anderson since he got here and have been subtly putting him down whenever you found the chance. You claim this isn’t true but everybody sees it.

Anderson has his fair share of flaws and there’s plenty of room for criticism already. But taking a dig at him for not being the one responsible for brining in the local kids already committed isn’t one that’s fair. And that’s what it was.

Marillac

« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2020, 01:17:28 AM »
I think he is just pointing out that Macon is the local contact and all locals will go through him. Which is the truth.

Nobody is questioning the veracity of his statement. Dave wrote “These recruits are all solely attributed to Van Macon.” You don’t see the negative connotation there?

Whether that is true or false is completely immaterial. I don’t see why it matters. Macon recruits for Anderson and his familiarity with NY was likely the primary reason he was hired.

« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2020, 01:22:57 AM »
Nobody is questioning the veracity of his statement. Dave wrote “These recruits are all solely attributed to Van Macon.” You don’t see the negative connotation there?

Whether that is true or false is completely immaterial. I don’t see why it matters. Macon recruits for Anderson and his familiarity with NY was likely the primary reason he was hired.

Maybe Matt A. stole his phone

SJUFAN

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2020, 02:01:59 AM »
What do you call that play? Throw it to LJ when he raises his hand and pray?

Sounds like your speaking about the simplicity of the play design and the level of difficulty to get a shot off after the catch. That’s not what I’m talking about. I agreed it wasn’t a good play. However from the perspective of executing the play if, and I want to emphasize if, that indeed was the play, just throw it to LJ, then it was executed successfully once we got him the ball. You can’t argue this.

We are speaking about two separate things. Often times in late game situations that is the call, design a play just to get the ball into the hands of a player. That’s it. It looked like that was the call.

I’ll put it differently for you. If they drew up a play and had LJ coming off a down screen and off the catch he was wide open for a 15 foot jumper, I mean not a player within 5 feet of him and he shoots a air ball was it a bad play? Not from the coaching perspective. The coach did their job.

If you say just throw the ball to LJ was the play, they did that.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:03:04 AM by SJUFAN »

SJUFAN

« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2020, 02:16:07 AM »

You still no answering the question. Why did you feel it necessary to point that out?

You state there is no malice behind it but you said it for a reason and the timing of it was curious.

SJUFAN

« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2020, 02:41:22 AM »
So St John's is down by two with four seconds left, and they rub Heron and LJF off screens and Ian Steere standing alone at the opposite free throw line catches the pass and tosses a 75 foot shot which ends up in the stands. Which is a successful play because that's what was drawn up? Come on now.

LOL!!! From a coaching perspective our goal is to put the player in the best position to be successful. If I draw up a play to get you a shot and your wide open and miss it the play wasn’t bad, the result was. I’ll use that play again.

When debriefing you spend hours breaking down tape looking for plays that were successful and they are not defined by if the basket was made but rather if the play generated a good look at the basket. Just because the shot is missed doesn’t mean it was a bad offensive set/play design.

Johnny23

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2020, 07:16:36 AM »
LJ routinely takes 1 handed floaters. It's not wild if you practice it.

LOL what? That makes no sense. You can practice your craft and still be wild at it in any sport. Clearly he needs more practice because he took some awful, forced shots when he could've created better looks for himself. But according to you and some others on here shame on Anderson for LJ taking those shots. 

TONYD3

« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2020, 09:17:01 AM »
Some of you are crazy. The fact that some you feel vindicated in some way is sad. Yesterday was beyond terrible. That doesn’t make out last coach look any better. He was a disgrace. If Anderson isn’t any better. That just means more losing.

« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2020, 10:33:42 AM »
He’s trolling. He wants to turn people against Anderson by forcing them to argue against his absurd defenses of him. It’s the only possible explantion short of him being completely ‘tarded.

Dude I’m honestly concerned for you. There has NEVER in the history of St. John’s message boards been an easier mark than Old Red. And this is not old red.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2020, 11:52:13 AM »
Dude I’m honestly concerned for you. There has NEVER in the history of St. John’s message boards been an easier mark than Old Red. And this is not old red.

Old Red has attacked me for two decades. He had a staggeringly low intelligence and used the term “fraud” routinely to describe me. SJUFan fits both.

I’d assume Old Red has several handles and personalities.

« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2020, 12:11:26 PM »
Old Red has attacked me for two decades. He had a staggeringly low intelligence and used the term “fraud” routinely to describe me. SJUFan fits both.

I’d assume Old Red has several handles and personalities.

Attacked you?

Good god you’re a shell of your former self.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2020, 12:17:55 PM »
Attacked you?

Good god you’re a shell of your former self.

Marillac is the Antonio Brown of St. John’s forums