Georgetown 2/2

• 258 replies

TONYD3

Re: Georgetown 2/2
« Reply #180 on: February 04, 2020, 04:15:49 PM »
Ahead of Vermont by five at the half at home, loss.

Ahead of Arizona State by nine at the half in CT, loss.

Ahead of Butler by five with three minutes left at home, loss.

Ahead of Seton Hall by 13 at the half at home, loss.

You're an easy grader.
Once again. You gave Mullin a C plus after year 3. Well aware you “drunk”, do you retract your grade?
Butt hurt and full of crap
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:25:05 PM by TONYD3 »

Marillac

« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »
This is how college basketball works. Assistants have the relationships, day to day communication, and put the ball on the tee.

Without Van Macon there isn't Champagnie, Posh, Wasu, etc.

The head coach is non-factor in this situation. This isn't a slight but it's the truth. Anderson hired Van Macon to do exactly this so obviously Anderson gets credit for putting people in position to be successful. This is part of being a head coach.

On the flip side if we didn't have a coach with local ties such as Van Macon. There is slimmer chance that TJ Cleveland or another assistant could have identified said talent, cultured relationship, and secured commitment in that time frame.

Again this isn't a slight but the simple truth.

The “head coach is a non-factor in this situation”? That’s a wild statement, man. Kids generally commit to play for head coaches more than any other factor. I honestly don’t see the point in trying to separate the credit.

Macon works for Anderson. He was
hired specifically to get kids like Cjsmoagnie and Alexander. If he didn’t take the job Anderson would have hired another recruiter with local roots. Perhaps that results in different players, but the buck stops with Anderson. That includes credit for good additions and scorn for bad ones.

goredmen

« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2020, 05:22:40 PM »
This is how college basketball works. Assistants have the relationships, day to day communication, and put the ball on the tee.

Without Van Macon there isn't Champagnie, Posh, Wasu, etc.

The head coach is non-factor in this situation. This isn't a slight but it's the truth. Anderson hired Van Macon to do exactly this so obviously Anderson gets credit for putting people in position to be successful. This is part of being a head coach.

On the flip side if we didn't have a coach with local ties such as Van Macon. There is slimmer chance that TJ Cleveland or another assistant could have identified said talent, cultured relationship, and secured commitment in that time frame.

Again this isn't a slight but the simple truth.

So if Head Coaches don't factor into recruiting all that much why were you concerned about Anderson's lack of connections in this area when he was hired?

ras

« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2020, 05:28:55 PM »

You're an easy grader.
IMO we let the lead get away from us because we burned the clock too early in the game or at inappropriate times IE , up 1 w 2 minutes left vs Georgetown. Burning the clock forced us to take bad shots w 5 seconds left or a shot clock violation

« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2020, 05:33:10 PM »
The “head coach is a non-factor in this situation”? That’s a wild statement, man. Kids generally commit to play for head coaches more than any other factor. I honestly don’t see the point in trying to separate the credit.

hired specifically to get kids like Cjsmoagnie and Alexander. If he didn’t take the job Anderson would have hired another recruiter with local roots. Perhaps that results in different players, but the buck stops with Anderson. That includes credit for good additions and scorn for bad ones.

Thank you!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2020, 06:11:17 PM »

Again assistant puts the ball on the tee. Head coach swings the bat. Everything is lined up perfectly to knock it out of the park.

I think there is difference between recruiting 2-3 star kids vs 4-5 star kids in how significant a role head coach plays.

3 star kid gets offered at Big East and could see immediately playing time it's very attractive no matter who the coach is. However I'm sure Anderson thrives here because he's saying how much he wants said player due to his style of play and really feels like he can mold and take them to another level which he has a proven track record of doing.

Its not insignificant but think some of these guys would have commit regardless of old or new coach due to program + opportunity.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2020, 06:13:31 PM »
So if Head Coaches don't factor into recruiting all that much why were you concerned about Anderson's lack of connections in this area when he was hired?

We're talking about local kids who were not recruited by anyone at higher or even level as us. When another Shamorie comes along lets see

« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2020, 07:41:44 PM »
Agree with Dave. Look at the offers for Posh, Dylan, and Champiagne. Why wouldn't they commit to play here?

Where are the recruits at our games? This staff isn't hosting many guys. Aside from Kyle Cyffe Jr., who are they leading for or really linked to? This has always been the concern. We shall see.

goredmen

« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2020, 07:52:32 PM »
We're talking about local kids who were not recruited by anyone at higher or even level as us. When another Shamorie comes along lets see

How come whenever I ask you a straightforward question you never answer it?

TONYD3

« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2020, 08:19:40 PM »
Agree with Dave. Look at the offers for Posh, Dylan, and Champiagne. Why wouldn't they commit to play here?

Where are the recruits at our games? This staff isn't hosting many guys. Aside from Kyle Cyffe Jr., who are they leading for or really linked to? This has always been the concern. We shall see.
Our lady Lutheran, they seem to be playing a national schedule? What is the competition like? Posh and wusu are putting up numbers and winning games

« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2020, 08:48:56 PM »
How come whenever I ask you a straightforward question you never answer it?

I've responded to every message you've sent and offered context and my insights into the discussion. You don't seem to agree or want to suggest what I've said somehow means or suggests something it does not.

Give it up brother. Here to talk hoops not to be right/wrong on a subjective topic.

goredmen

« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2020, 09:21:28 PM »
I've responded to every message you've sent and offered context and my insights into the discussion. You don't seem to agree or want to suggest what I've said somehow means or suggests something it does not.

Give it up brother. Here to talk hoops not to be right/wrong on a subjective topic.

Any time I’ve asked a legitimate question you’ve either completely ignored it (I asked you a question about Butler about 8 times that went unanswered) or gave a run around answer like the one in this thread.

You’ve been posting some things lately that aren’t based in logic or rational thinking. All of those points have skewed in a certain direction.

You claim you don’t have anything against Anderson but you took a completely unnecessary dig at him when you scoffed at the idea that he’s even a little bit responsible for the NY kids already here or committed.

Like I said, there’s plenty of things to be critical of regarding Anderson so far. Yet you still go out of your way to take credit away from him where some is due.

« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2020, 10:02:53 PM »
Any time I’ve asked a legitimate question you’ve either completely ignored it (I asked you a question about Butler about 8 times that went unanswered) or gave a run around answer like the one in this thread.

You’ve been posting some things lately that aren’t based in logic or rational thinking. All of those points have skewed in a certain direction.

You claim you don’t have anything against Anderson but you took a completely unnecessary dig at him when you scoffed at the idea that he’s even a little bit responsible for the NY kids already here or committed.

Like I said, there’s plenty of things to be critical of regarding Anderson so far. Yet you still go out of your way to take credit away from him where some is due.

Look man. I know what I said and I know what I meant.

I'm simply pointing out that Van Macon brought in those recruits. This isn't a dig, slight, insult, or anything towards Mike Anderson.

Jeez get over it. I'm not out to get Mike Anderson. I'm rooting for him but I've expressed since jump street my lack of faith in the hire for reasons that have all played out so far.

« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2020, 10:05:56 PM »
BTW Butler went from 4 in the country to nearly .500 in conference sitting in 6th place aka bottom half of the conference.

Again this doesn't mean they are a bad team but this shows that St. John's road to success is daunting.

« Reply #194 on: February 05, 2020, 12:16:17 AM »
What is wrong with you?
Too much to go into in this forum.
So explain to me what the relevance is?
Ok. You said CFC is better than Mullin. I asked you if you had any evidence of this or should we just take your word for it. Then in an attempt to provide evidence you posted Mullins first year coaching record and CFC's first year coaching record and also stated that CFC has exceeded Mullin's win total with 8 games remaining.

I merely pointed out that this is not evidence of CFC's superiority to Mullin as it's not an apples to apples comparison due to the far weaker roster Mullin inherited from Hollywood compared to what CFC was fortunate enough to inherit from Mullin.

You then agreed with me and confirmed that I was correct about the relative roster strength of the two lineups.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 12:18:01 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #195 on: February 05, 2020, 12:44:31 AM »

You're an easy grader.

What a fantastic post! I was going to look up a few of those scores but got to lazy to do so hahah. Its crazy how bad they have been closing out games. Dave said it best....awful lineups...poor decision making, no structure.....alarming.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #196 on: February 05, 2020, 08:28:40 AM »

You're an easy grader.

And ahead of Georgetown by 9 at the half at home, loss.

weird pattern ...

TONYD3

« Reply #197 on: February 05, 2020, 08:46:07 AM »
Vermont- 1st game for Dunn. I remember a good game.
Arizona State- someone explain what happened. I was drunk by that time. Couldn’t believe we lost.
Butler- 1st half effort was terrible. In the end we lost. I was happy the team responded so well. I thought LJ should have been back in the game sooner.
Seton hall- is waaaaay better, bigger, and more experienced. Wasn’t mad at all we lost.
Georgetown- without Mac- disgraceful.

It’s one game that was really awful. I wish you guys criticized the last coach this harshly.
If I were giving him a grade it would be a C minus. Winning 5 games gets a C. Nit is a B. 3 or less D. No more wins F

SJUFAN

« Reply #198 on: February 05, 2020, 12:30:32 PM »
What a fantastic post! I was going to look up a few of those scores but got to lazy to do so hahah. Its crazy how bad they have been closing out games. Dave said it best....awful lineups...poor decision making, no structure.....alarming.

Has the lineup truly been awful? I would like to see some data on that. I know I don’t ever want to see both Heron and LJ on the bench at the same time but I feel it hadn’t hurt us. What poor decision making by the coach are you speaking off? No structure? Again false narrative. We actually have a offense.

« Reply #199 on: February 05, 2020, 12:36:02 PM »
Has the lineup truly been awful? I would like to see some data on that. I know I don’t ever want to see both Heron and LJ on the bench at the same time but I feel it hadn’t hurt us. What poor decision making by the coach are you speaking off? No structure? Again false narrative. We actually have a offense.

Data reports are back..... L, L, L, L, L

We have very loose structure offensively. It's not a matter of opinion, it's fact. Do I need to get Jay Bilas or Seth Greenberg or someone to break film for you to believe it?