Georgetown 2/2

• 258 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Georgetown 2/2
« Reply #200 on: February 05, 2020, 12:50:20 PM »
It’s one game that was really awful. I wish you guys criticized the last coach this harshly.

This is why I get on the defensive when posters are critical about Anderson. I get it Mullin is revered, but from a basketball perspective the last four years was awful basketball. The previous two years we had major talent and never heard any criticism after a loss.

Anderson has a bad roster, he doesn’t really have much options. Our margin for error is very small. Only reason why we beat WVU is because our PG played good. He hasn’t played good since BE play. Heron and LJ is inconsistent. One plays well one game the other doesn’t, it’s not the system. I believe next year will be a better barometer to judge Anderson.

SJUFAN

« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2020, 01:03:10 PM »
Data reports are back..... L, L, L, L, L

We have very loose structure offensively. It's not a matter of opinion, it's fact. Do I need to get Jay Bilas or Seth Greenberg or someone to break film for you to believe it?

Loose structure? It’s tailored for defenses not to key in on one guy. That’s what a motion offense is. The ball goes to whoever is open. We’re looking for the best shot, not any shot. Loose was the prior four years when anyone at anytime could shoot a three and oftentimes that’s what happened.

When I mentioned data I’m referring to plus minus when both Heron and LJ is off the floor. It doesn’t matter how good of a couch you are, you can’t win in a tough league with minimal talent.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 01:06:27 PM by SJUFAN »

Marillac

« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2020, 01:15:24 PM »
This is nuts. Posters can’t concede to Anderson’s obvious flaws. His offense sucks. Plain and simple. He doesn’t have many set plays. He doesn’t have inbounds plays for key situations. He doesn’t get his key players space. It’s ugly. All of this can be done within a motion offense—or any offense for that matter. 

None of that will ever change. But that can be acceptable to me and most reasonable posters if he can dictate pace and limit those situations. His guys hit the offensive glass. That is huge come March when other more nuanced offensive systems rely on making shots...we might be able to score more easy points of transition and offensive rebounds which don’t go cold.

We’ll see what he can do next year with two natural PGs and 10 guys that fit his style. Dunn and Williams could be much more dangerous alongside a true PG. I think it will be okay.

wpc77

« Reply #203 on: February 05, 2020, 01:20:39 PM »
This is nuts. Posters can’t concede to Anderson’s obvious flaws. His offense sucks. Plain and simple. He doesn’t have many set plays. He doesn’t have inbounds plays for key situations. He doesn’t get his key players space. It’s ugly. All of this can be done within a motion offense—or any offense for that matter. 

None of that will ever change. But that can be acceptable to me and most reasonable posters if he can dictate pace and limit those situations. His guys hit the offensive glass. That is huge come March when other more nuanced offensive systems rely on making shots...we might be able to score more easy points of transition and offensive rebounds which don’t go cold.

We’ll see what he can do next year with two natural PGs and 10 guys that fit his style. Dunn and Williams could be much more dangerous alongside a true PG. I think it will be okay.

This sums it up perfectly.  Not really much to debate here unless people want to be defensive because of pre-existing biases. 

Marillac

« Reply #204 on: February 05, 2020, 01:41:24 PM »
This sums it up perfectly.  Not really much to debate here unless people want to be defensive because of pre-existing biases. 

Exactly. That’s what is so frustrating about reading these never-ending posts from this group. They try to make Anderson out to be something he so obviously isn’t. That is the worst that you could do here if you actually support the coach. High expectations are a death sentence here.

If he could coach 40 minutes of hell AND was good on offense he wouldn’t have been fired, and he certainly would be here.

Like I said preseason, Dunn is really more of an undersized SF (that
can really handle the ball well) than a PG. He doesn’t have PG instincts. He should be better next to Posh and/or McGriff where he can use that handle to take more meaninful dribbled and do less stagnating of the offense.

I love McGriff as a 15-20 MPG guy at this level. Posh has a real chance to be a very good starter if he can develop a consistent jumper.

« Reply #205 on: February 05, 2020, 01:53:12 PM »
I wish you guys criticized the last coach this harshly.
Why?  The last coach was CHRIS MULLIN. He should have been beyond reproach around here - an untouchable.

The new coach has been here a New York minute and has yet to establish an allegiance with the fan base yet. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 01:56:50 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Marillac

« Reply #206 on: February 05, 2020, 01:55:44 PM »
Why?  The last coach was CHRIS MULLIN. He should have been beyond reproach around here - an untouchable.

The new coach has been here a New York minute and accomplished nothing yet.

False. Every coach can be criticized. The minute he was fired, though, that sh*t should have come to a complete halt.

His contributions as a player far outweigh any real or perceived issues with his coaching tenure.

« Reply #207 on: February 05, 2020, 02:01:38 PM »
False. Every coach can be criticized.   
It's just my opinion. Others are entitled to feel otherwise.

Before he had won or lost a game here, I decided that I'll criticize his game to game and/or season to season coaching - but I would never call for his removal or be guilty of slander towards him.

TONYD3

« Reply #208 on: February 05, 2020, 03:16:45 PM »

I ask you again. Not saying Anderson runs an amazing half court offense, what makes it worse then what Lavin did or Mullin did here? I would really like to hear your thoughts. None of those offenses were structured.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 03:20:31 PM by TONYD3 »

Foad

« Reply #209 on: February 05, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
Like I said preseason, Dunn is really more of an undersized SF (that can really handle the ball well) than a PG.

I prefer to think of him as a SG who can't shoot.

SJUFAN

« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2020, 04:25:06 PM »

No one is stating Anderson is without flaw. I’m not ready to concede that his flaws are the main issues for the teams struggles. The roster is imo. Now if the team struggles continue once the talent improves that’s a different issue.

You mentioned he doesn’t get his key players spacing, well as a defense, if you don’t have players that has a respectable outside shot they are packing it in. We don’t have any inside presence. What can be done to get them spacing?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 04:33:24 PM by SJUFAN »

Foad

« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2020, 04:28:50 PM »
No one is stating Anderson is without flaw. I’m not ready to concede that his flaws are the main issues for the teams struggles. The roster is imo.

Can you repeat yourself another 74 times? Because I didn't get the single point you've made over three months the first 73 times you've made it and I'm pretty smrat. Ⓡ

Foad

« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2020, 06:42:55 PM »
It doesn’t matter how good of a couch you are, you can’t win in a tough league with minimal talent.

Sofa so good.

Rodman

« Reply #213 on: February 06, 2020, 01:11:23 AM »

The new coach has been here a New York minute and has yet to establish an allegiance with the fan base yet. 

Beyond reproach?  The guy was getting paid two million a year to do a job that he sucked at.  There is no one beyond reproach.  What planet do you live on?

« Reply #214 on: February 06, 2020, 01:13:40 AM »
Has the lineup truly been awful? I would like to see some data on that. I know I don’t ever want to see both Heron and LJ on the bench at the same time but I feel it hadn’t hurt us. What poor decision making by the coach are you speaking off? No structure? Again false narrative. We actually have a offense.

So you don't disagree with putting a big in to guard Yurtseven at the end of the Gtown game? Just a big body on him like roberts who can alter shots is a better option than the 6'6 champagnie, who he scored so easily on. Come on man.

« Reply #215 on: February 06, 2020, 01:17:21 AM »

Could not agree more. Have people watched us in close games with he ball trying to tie or win the game? Heron shot a two pointed when down 3 to providence....dunn didn't even got a shot off vs butler, its really bad.

« Reply #216 on: February 06, 2020, 01:57:42 AM »
Beyond reproach?  The guy was getting paid two million a year to do a job that he sucked at.  There is no one beyond reproach.   
Perhaps you are not aware of what he has done for the program and what he means to the program.  How old are you?
What planet do you live on?
Planet Gong.

SJUFAN

« Reply #217 on: February 06, 2020, 02:36:04 AM »
So you don't disagree with putting a big in to guard Yurtseven at the end of the Gtown game? Just a big body on him like roberts who can alter shots is a better option than the 6'6 champagnie, who he scored so easily on. Come on man.

So you believe Roberts is a big body?
I don’t think I need to address that one. That last play it didn’t matter who was guarding Yurtseven cause we allowed Mosley to get into the paint. It was really Williams fault. Which was unfortunate cause he made a tremendous recovery off a turnover and got a steal a few possessions earlier. I would have liked to have seen spears play more but again that’s not why we lost, it was the turnovers. What could coach have done about that? Have Earlington bring up the ball?

TONYD3

« Reply #218 on: February 06, 2020, 09:22:33 AM »
Some of you allow a few posters to change the narrative of this board. It doesn’t change the truth. You guys either don’t watch college basketball other then St. John’s or you don’t know what you are talking about.
I watched good chunks of 12 games last night. Every team had a better PG. every team had more physical post players. And every team had better shooters.
Some teams ran crisper offensive sets. But that’s not why guys scored. Guys scored because they have talent.
I was mad an frustrated Sunday. Tired of losing. Georgetown came back from 16 points down last night also. Seton hall won. Because they are better.
You guys are all tired of the mullin talk. For 4 years some of you pretended that he wasn’t a problem, or he was almost ok. Our current team should have keita or a different senior post player. Can’t compete with 195 pound champagnie. Our current team should have an experienced big east level PG, can’t compete with Dunn.
Those guys are ok, but they should be bench players. More the then half of our roster doesn’t belong here. How is he supposed to win? If we ran a perfect play, is anyone confident that Herron would hit the shot?
Another game Saturday. We are probably going to lose. You guys, who said NOTHING for 4 years can blame Anderson all you want. Transfer U doomed this season well before it started.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 09:32:25 AM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #219 on: February 06, 2020, 09:46:57 AM »
Some of you allow a few posters to change the narrative of this board. It doesn’t change the truth. You guys either don’t watch college basketball other then St. John’s or you don’t know what you are talking about.
I watched good chunks of 12 games last night. Every team had a better PG. every team had more physical post players. And every team had better shooters.
Some teams ran crisper offensive sets. But that’s not why guys scored. Guys scored because they have talent.
I was mad an frustrated Sunday. Tired of losing. Georgetown came back from 16 points down last night also. Seton hall won. Because they are better.
You guys are all tired of the mullin talk. For 4 years some of you pretended that he wasn’t a problem, or he was almost ok. Our current team should have keita or a different senior post player. Can’t compete with 195 pound champagnie. Our current team should have an experienced big east level PG, can’t compete with Dunn.
Those guys are ok, but they should be bench players. More the then half of our roster doesn’t belong here. How is he supposed to win? If we ran a perfect play, is anyone confident that Herron would hit the shot?
Another game Saturday. We are probably going to lose. You guys, who said NOTHING for 4 years can blame Anderson all you want. Transfer U doomed this season well before it started.

Tony I think the issue here is you keep going to extremes. It's fair to criticize Coach Anderson and just because you do doesn't mean you thought Mullin was infallible. These two things aren't linked.

You are 100% correct with our PG play is subpar. It's why we had a really good PG coming in before coaching change and why we needed a PG to be #1 priority as soon as Anderson got hired. We took quick commitments from McGriff and Rutherford. Hindsight is 20/20 and you could argue if we reached hire we could have struck out. However I'm still baffled we didn't roll out red carpet for Bones Hyland. Flirted with UConn but saw log jam there. We had wide open minutes for him and didn't sniff.

Dunn would be great off the bench. Firestarter / microwave type player who could come in and give a punch but then remove when things got wild.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle