Georgetown 2/2

• 258 replies

Foad

Re: Georgetown 2/2
« Reply #220 on: February 06, 2020, 10:53:24 AM »
you keep going to extremes. It's fair to criticize Coach Anderson and just because you do doesn't mean you thought Mullin was infallible. These two things aren't linked.

Last year during an NCAA tournament year posters were reviling the coach for everything up to how much water he drank and including when and where he tied his shoes. This year those same posters decry as illegitimate any criticism of the coach who's in ninth place.

Everyone acknowledges that Mullin was a flawed coach. His roster was ill constructed, his staff was ill constructed and his system was not designed to get the best out his players. None of that is relevant to how well or more to the point poorly coach home run has been doing. AKA two wins, eight losses. If the argument is that at least he's better than Mullin that's not much of an argument because the people who say at least he's better than Mullin hated Mullin so much that they can't go two posts without shrieking out his name like it's a swear word and they have Tourette's.

I don't love Chris Mullin and in fact the only time I think about him is when some obsessed anti fan brings him up. And I don't hate coach home run, I just think he stinks, and I don't think he stinks because he replaced Mullin, I think he stinks because he's two and eight with a one trick pony system in a league where he's not demonstrated the ability to outsmart anyone but Dave Leitao and really how hard is that.

TONYD3

« Reply #221 on: February 06, 2020, 12:38:42 PM »
Last year during an NCAA tournament year posters were reviling the coach for everything up to how much water he drank and including when and where he tied his shoes. This year those same posters decry as illegitimate any criticism of the coach who's in ninth place.

Everyone acknowledges that Mullin was a flawed coach. His roster was ill constructed, his staff was ill constructed and his system was not designed to get the best out his players. None of that is relevant to how well or more to the point poorly coach home run has been doing. AKA two wins, eight losses. If the argument is that at least he's better than Mullin that's not much of an argument because the people who say at least he's better than Mullin hated Mullin so much that they can't go two posts without shrieking out his name like it's a swear word and they have Tourette's.

I don't love Chris Mullin and in fact the only time I think about him is when some obsessed anti fan brings him up. And I don't hate coach home run, I just think he stinks, and I don't think he stinks because he replaced Mullin, I think he stinks because he's two and eight with a one trick pony system in a league where he's not demonstrated the ability to outsmart anyone but Dave Leitao and really how hard is that.
The fact that mullin brought in Roberts, earlington, caraher, and steer is an issue. None of them should be here.
The fact that his boyfriend was supposed to be in charge of player development and he didn’t do anything with these young players is relevant.
The fact that their was no system last year taught by his neighbors son is relevant.
The fact that their is 0 leadership on this team is definitely relevant. Not one player on this roster has been here more then 1.5 seasons.
This program was a mess. Implying otherwise is completely not true. We are 2-8 in conference. 4-11 vs teams from real conferences. What team that beat us, is worse then us?
Criticize the coach all you want. But if you stayed quiet after 20-59, with 40 knockouts. It seems like you are just butt hurt to be crying now.

SJUFAN

« Reply #222 on: February 06, 2020, 01:46:14 PM »
None of that is relevant to how well or more to the point poorly coach home run has been doing. AKA two wins, eight losses.

It’s about being rational. Mullin went 1-17 his first year, I don’t recall reading how poorly coached the team was. Why? Not because they weren’t poorly coached but because it wasn’t a good roster. It makes sense to be patient b4 we began labeling him.

Fast forward to Anderson’s first year, the roster is bad. However, I often only hear that our record is due to poor coaching. This man has a proven track record of success. I just would like to see how we perform with a improved roster before I throw out that label that Anderson is a bad coach. He may very well be, but I think once he gets his players in here we’ll like the results.

« Reply #223 on: February 06, 2020, 02:32:29 PM »
before I throw out that label that Anderson is a bad coach. He may very well be, 
It's hilarious how fast the traitors are back tracking. You certainly weren't singing this before the conference schedule began. I may be a one trick pony but at least I stick loyally to and never waiver from that trick.

« Reply #224 on: February 06, 2020, 03:41:52 PM »

You are 100% correct with our PG play is subpar. It's why we had a really good PG coming in before coaching change
who?

Foad

« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2020, 03:49:29 PM »
It’s about being rational.

It's not at all about being rational. It's about being completely illogical. If I say A is bad, the reply B was worse doesn't prove anything about A where B is irrelevant to A. Let's try, shall we?

The scungilli I had at Chez Mike last night, it was awful.

Oh yeah, well the scungilli I had at Mullino's last year was worse.

Therefore ... what? The scungilli I had last night was delicious? No. Both dishes could have been awful. Or both could have been delicious and neither of us know enough about food to judge.

But instead of logic we get rationality like "Anderson isn’t perfect...but he’s better than Mullin."

Muscular dytrophy isn't perfect ... but it's better than pancreatic cancer.

Pol Pot wasn't perfect ... but he was better than Stalin.

Tsunamis aren't perfect ... but they're better than sweet meteors of death.

Mullin went 1-17 his first year, I don’t recall reading how poorly coached the team was. Why? Not because they weren’t poorly coached but because it wasn’t a good roster. It makes sense to be patient b4 we began labeling him.

An interesting thought experiment would be Coach Home Run's many fans defending his performance without referencing his predecessor's failures. Personally I don't think you can or even care to.

Fast forward to Anderson’s first year, the roster is bad. However, I often only hear that our record is due to poor coaching. This man has a proven track record of success. I just would like to see how we perform with a improved roster before I throw out that label that Anderson is a bad coach. He may very well be, but I think once he gets his players in here we’ll like the results.

Yes, the roster is not particularly good. That it would have been better had the prior staff been retained is irrelevant, so I won't mention that. On the other hand, it was good enough to go up on Georgetown by 17 in the first half, which after a pep talk by Coach Home Run it was bad enough for them to get outscored by double digits in the second. Not to mention the other five games where they blew large or late leads. Fortunately for CHR he's not what his record says he is and whinging about half time adjustments are a thing of the past.

"This man"'s success is in the main front loaded. That is, he made the tournament six times in his first nine years and three times the following eight. That's the opposite of what should happen: you should get better as you get more experienced. Instead,  as he moved up the coaching ranks his winning percentage shrank, and it shrank with every vertical move: it was highest at UAB and lowest at Arkansas. ( I will not mention that Chris Mullin's coaching record got better every year, because that would not be relevant.) That shrinkage suggests a flaw. (Do women know about shrinkage?) Moreover my observations of him jibe with the complaints of Arkansas fans, who were happy to see him go. His half court offense and defense stink; his system means that better players play less than they would otherwise; and seem to be a lackadaisical recruiter, which is I think because he's so enamored of his system that he thinks it's more important that the talent he gets.

I don't see this ending well. I just don't. Because this guy is nothing that any of his predecessors could have become. Even poor Norm Roberts.

« Reply #226 on: February 07, 2020, 01:30:15 AM »
So you believe Roberts is a big body?
I don’t think I need to address that one. That last play it didn’t matter who was guarding Yurtseven cause we allowed Mosley to get into the paint. It was really Williams fault. Which was unfortunate cause he made a tremendous recovery off a turnover and got a steal a few possessions earlier. I would have liked to have seen spears play more but again that’s not why we lost, it was the turnovers. What could coach have done about that? Have Earlington bring up the ball?

Reading Comprehension, I said he was a "Big" because he is 6'9 and plays that position. He is long and can alter some shots unlike the 6'6 Champagnie. Yurtseven is 7'0 and caught the ball on the low block with about two minutes left with champagnie guarding him and scored with ease using a left handed hook shot. if you don't think subbing in a "bigger player" to guard him down the stretch is the right call there I really don't know what to tell. you.

Wasn't everyone on this board raving about how much better Roberts got this year and how much he has developed. Now we moved from that to this, makes no sense.

Turnovers were not the sole reason we lost, but they were definitely part of it. Bad half court defense, bad rotations, and not being able to make shots were some of the other reasons. Georgetown turned the ball over more than we did that game so.....

SJUFAN

« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2020, 02:32:43 AM »
Reading Comprehension, I said he was a "Big" because he is 6'9 and plays that position. He is long and can alter some shots unlike the 6'6 Champagnie. Yurtseven is 7'0 and caught the ball on the low block with about two minutes left with champagnie guarding him and scored with ease using a left handed hook shot. if you don't think subbing in a "bigger player" to guard him down the stretch is the right call there I really don't know what to tell. you.

Wasn't everyone on this board raving about how much better Roberts got this year and how much he has developed. Now we moved from that to this, makes no sense.

Turnovers were not the sole reason we lost, but they were definitely part of it. Bad half court defense, bad rotations, and not being able to make shots were some of the other reasons. Georgetown turned the ball over more than we did that game so.....

I quote, ”Just a big body on him like roberts ”. That’s what I thought you said. Although Roberts may be tall he’s a string bean and gets pushed around quite easily. He wasn’t the answer. Although I believe Spears offered the most size, I don’t believe we have anyone that could guard Yurtseven.

Marillac

« Reply #228 on: February 07, 2020, 10:50:45 AM »
Anderson was getting credit for developing Roberts and Earlington from you psychos. Now they are trash and don’t belong here?

Holy sh*t. Don’t hurt yourselves beyond over backwards for this guy.

TONYD3

« Reply #229 on: February 07, 2020, 01:03:09 PM »
Anderson was getting credit for developing Roberts and Earlington from you psychos. Now they are trash and don’t belong here?

Holy sh*t. Don’t hurt yourselves beyond over backwards for this guy.
Roberts has gotten a lot better. He is still not 200 pounds. He has 0 offensive game and gets abused in the post. Under certain circumstances he can be effective. He isn't a starting center.
Earlington- I like him plenty. The guy makes plenty of plays. He guarded georgetown's center admirably. Both of these guys make plays. Both aren't good enough.
You can't really understand how hard rutherford works on defense watching on tv. The kid plays his heart out. He isn't good enough either. Not even close.
Caraher- smart player. What does he do well? or even average?

Keep bashing the coach, he isn't going anywhere

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:27:35 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #230 on: February 07, 2020, 02:40:33 PM »
Caraher was recruited for the old system and I think would have been a good fit in it. Earlington and Roberts are both projectable, let’s pump the breaks on jettisoning them.

« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2020, 03:39:49 PM »
Caraher was recruited for the old system
DC is a holdover from the last admin.? I've only listed 5 when comparing returning players of the last two regimes.

TONYD3

« Reply #232 on: February 07, 2020, 04:25:48 PM »
Caraher was recruited for the old system and I think would have been a good fit in it. Earlington and Roberts are both projectable, let’s pump the breaks on jettisoning them.
Caraher is a slow basketball player. Some of you guys compare him to the players who happen to be both white and can shoot who have done well against us in the past. He is smart brian Trimble who happens to be white.
No one said anything about jettisoned Roberts or earlington? I said you can’t win these guys in their current roles. DOES ANYONE think you can?

« Reply #233 on: February 07, 2020, 05:14:46 PM »
DC is a holdover from the last admin.? I've only listed 5 when comparing returning players of the last two regimes.

It should be 7–LJ, Heron, Williams, Roberts, Earlington, caraher and Steere. The last two were both sitting last year.

« Reply #234 on: February 07, 2020, 05:19:48 PM »
Caraher is a slow basketball player. Some of you guys compare him to the players who happen to be both white and can shoot who have done well against us in the past. He is smart brian Trimble who happens to be white.
No one said anything about jettisoned Roberts or earlington? I said you can’t win these guys in their current roles. DOES ANYONE think you can?

You said none of them should be here.

As per us. you are conflating the issue:: use in a system or quality of player. However, who is responsible for putting them in their current roles?

As far as Caraher being helpful to a winning team he could average 4 points a game and be useful.

TONYD3

« Reply #235 on: February 07, 2020, 05:33:19 PM »
You said none of them should be here.

As per us. you are conflating the issue:: use in a system or quality of player. However, who is responsible for putting them in their current roles?

As far as Caraher being helpful to a winning team he could average 4 points a game and be useful.
I said none of them should be here and I meant it. That doesn’t mean we should get rid of them for nothing. We can’t trade anyone.
All 3 can accumulate stats. It doesn’t mean they are good BIG EAST level players.
Our current coach is putting these guys in their current roles. The guy has only been here a few months. He is not a magician.
I am asking you, how could ANYONE win the big east with this roster?
I am not saying Anderson is without question. Herron and LJ need to play more (even when they aren’t playing well). Champagnie should never be guarding them other teams post player. Steer or sears need to get some minutes. (We need the size). That’s my opinion anyway.

« Reply #236 on: February 07, 2020, 05:40:58 PM »
I said none of them should be here and I meant it. That doesn’t mean we should get rid of them for nothing. We can’t trade anyone.
All 3 can accumulate stats. It doesn’t mean they are good BIG EAST level players.
Our current coach is putting these guys in their current roles. The guy has only been here a few months. He is not a magician.
I am asking you, how could ANYONE win the big east with this roster?
I am not saying Anderson is without question. Herron and LJ need to play more (even when they aren’t playing well). Champagnie should never be guarding them other teams post player. Steer or sears need to get some minutes. (We need the size). That’s my opinion anyway.

Don’t be daft of course we can’t WIN the big east with this roster. But we can win IN the BE with this roster. I think Foad has demonstrated that much by posts about leads that have been held in the second half.

Both Roberts and Earlington came in as interesting athletes/bodies but very unpolished players. I’ve been thrilled with Earlington’s progress this year. Think Roberts “individual” offense is on hold until he can manage a passable 15ft jumper.

« Reply #237 on: February 07, 2020, 05:41:49 PM »
Or GSJ’s creative backdoor lob plays. Those were fun to watch.

Johnny23

« Reply #238 on: February 07, 2020, 05:51:31 PM »
Don’t be daft of course we can’t WIN the big east with this roster. But we can win IN the BE with this roster. I think Foad has demonstrated that much by posts about leads that have been held in the second half.

Both Roberts and Earlington came in as interesting athletes/bodies but very unpolished players. I’ve been thrilled with Earlington’s progress this year. Think Roberts “individual” offense is on hold until he can manage a passable 15ft jumper.

Roberts will never have a 15 ft jumper. I'd be happy if he just develops some consistent post moves. I'd like to see Earlington keep working on his shot. The last piece of the puzzle for him.

TONYD3

« Reply #239 on: February 07, 2020, 05:53:24 PM »

If this was a spelling bee it would prudent to bring up foad. Our discussion seems to be over. Foady is just a butt hurt mullin fan who offered 0 insight during the worst 4 year stretch in basketball history.
Greg St. Jean was great coming out of a timeout. As stated previously. The only way he should have gotten into a big East game was with a ticket.