2020 Transfers

• 299 replies
Re: 2020 Transfers
« Reply #260 on: June 01, 2020, 08:14:53 PM »
You have to play your best. I think Toro and Moore can play the four. Roberts is probably just a five again this year.

Keep changing out the forwards to keep them fresh and agressive.

I agree with playing your best players. But like you just said before, we have plenty of smaller options 1-3.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #261 on: June 02, 2020, 09:48:51 PM »
I think Champagnie's success was due to him playing so well as a stretch 4. If he's at the 3 I think that's were his lack of elite athleticism gets exposed. He's a quick 4 but a lumbering 3.

I think Roberts at the 5 with Toro spilling minutes. I think Moore will be that next man up.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #262 on: June 02, 2020, 10:30:58 PM »
I think Champagnie's success was due to him playing so well as a stretch 4. If he's at the 3 I think that's were his lack of elite athleticism gets exposed. He's a quick 4 but a lumbering 3.

I think Roberts at the 5 with Toro spilling minutes. I think Moore will be that next man up.

That’s a good call on Penny. He looks like he’s going to become a very good power forward. There’s no need to move him to a weaker position.

It’s not talked about much, but maybe Greg Williams is the three we need? He can defend the position, and he’s quick enough to get by his man.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:31:52 PM by Poison »

« Reply #263 on: June 03, 2020, 08:47:10 AM »
That’s a good call on Penny. He looks like he’s going to become a very good power forward. There’s no need to move him to a weaker position.

It’s not talked about much, but maybe Greg Williams is the three we need? He can defend the position, and he’s quick enough to get by his man.
Like you guys focusing on the core stepping up. Penny, GWill, The Duke, Roberts. Can't expect that much from Cole as a JC transfer. How many JC transfers were impactful the following season? Bootsy? Hatten? Roberts needs to work out with Earlington, strengthen so he doesn't get boxed out like the last two seasons.

ras

« Reply #264 on: June 03, 2020, 11:34:27 AM »
I think Earlington is also a good 4. Can rotate Posh ,Dunn, Williams and Cole at the 1 to 3 positions. Earlington is becoming a good shooter, is he quick enough to play the 3?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:37:59 AM by ras »

Johnny23

« Reply #265 on: June 03, 2020, 12:48:42 PM »
I think Earlington is also a good 4. Can rotate Posh ,Dunn, Williams and Cole at the 1 to 3 positions. Earlington is becoming a good shooter, is he quick enough to play the 3?

It's not as much about Earlington's quickness as it is his handle. He puts his head down when he dribbles and bad things tend to happen. He does everything else well and his outside shot is really the last piece of the puzzle for him. Even without that he's still plenty effective.

Poison

« Reply #266 on: June 03, 2020, 03:44:06 PM »
It's not as much about Earlington's quickness as it is his handle. He puts his head down when he dribbles and bad things tend to happen. He does everything else well and his outside shot is really the last piece of the puzzle for him. Even without that he's still plenty effective.

I thought Earlington's handle improved. He got past some pretty good guards late last year. Also, he started to pick his spots better.

It would be great to have a couple of forwards who could post up once in a while. A forward with good footwork can create his own shot. We're obviously going to see a lot of zone defense, and we'll need efficient low post scorers to pair with guards who can consistently stick a three.

I'm expecting big things from him in 20-21.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:47:27 PM by Poison »

Johnny23

« Reply #267 on: June 03, 2020, 04:16:32 PM »
I thought Earlington's handle improved. He got past some pretty good guards late last year. Also, he started to pick his spots better.

It would be great to have a couple of forwards who could post up once in a while. A forward with good footwork can create his own shot. We're obviously going to see a lot of zone defense, and we'll need efficient low post scorers to pair with guards who can consistently stick a three.

I agree and this season I expect him to contend for one of the All BE teams. Talk about tremendous strides but we shall see. I think the strength of his game is how well rounded it is and his court awareness is excellent. He did get past some good players late last season, yes. But his handle is still shaky. It's not like he's going to be doing that much dribbling so probably a moot point. I think Earlington can be a solid post up forward. I think of him as our Draymond Green. Does whatever it takes to win. Penny posts up well in spots too. We'll see if Moore or Roberts can provide any offensive post moves. Moore probably moreso than Roberts. I honestly think Toro could be the best of the bunch in terms of low post bucket getter. He just has that old school post man game from a lot of his highlights.

Foad

« Reply #268 on: June 03, 2020, 04:46:00 PM »

When Ponds was here everyone game planned him and LJF and Heron thrived. Last year everyone game planned LJF and Heron and the new guys thrived, relatively speaking. If this year everyone game plans Champagnie and Earlington, who thrives? Better be somebody - and as the poster above said there's not a lot of evidence of non Berry/Bootsy/Boo JUCOs not having adjustment issues - or it's going to be another long year. Posh is a freshman. Caraher will contribute I think ultimately but he's Tim Doyle light. Maybe it's Williams. Better be somebody.

ras

« Reply #269 on: June 03, 2020, 05:18:52 PM »
When Ponds was here everyone game planned him and LJF and Heron thrived. Last year everyone game planned LJF and Heron and the new guys thrived, relatively speaking. If this year everyone game plans Champagnie and Earlington, who thrives? Better be somebody - and as the poster above said there's not a lot of evidence of non Berry/Bootsy/Boo JUCOs not having adjustment issues - or it's going to be another long year. Posh is a freshman. Caraher will contribute I think ultimately but he's Tim Doyle light. Maybe it's Williams. Better be somebody.
Truth be told, the team played better at the end of the season, so teams were not concentrating on Heron, only LJ. I think we’re going to get a lot out of Cole.

Foad

« Reply #270 on: June 03, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »
Truth be told, the team played better at the end of the season, so teams were not concentrating on Heron, only LJ. I think we’re going to get a lot out of Cole.

Truth be told Heron didn't play a minute after February 8, so opponents has a reason not to concentrate on him at the end of the season.

Poison

« Reply #271 on: June 03, 2020, 09:46:20 PM »

I think we all remember times when a JUCO turned out to be a pleasant surprise like Bootsy Thornton, Marcus Hatten and to a significantly lesser extent, LJ, but it’s very hard to tell if they can handle pressure defense or any defense because in every YouTube video, they are all always wide open. An Avery Patterson level player who can light up Navy but can’t even put it on the floor against Maryland isn’t going to cut it. I think we will need Cole to live up to the hype, and maybe even exceed it in order to contend.

If he’s James Scott or Bashir Ahmed, we are going to have to count on others to step up.

Posh could be a scorer. Sure he’s a freshman, but he’s been playing against top competition for long enough. Wouldn’t surprise me to see that he’s ready to go.

ras

« Reply #272 on: June 03, 2020, 11:53:29 PM »
Truth be told Heron didn't play a minute after February 8, so opponents has a reason not to concentrate on him at the end of the season.
That’s exactly my point. Without Heron a number of players stepped up.

« Reply #273 on: June 04, 2020, 10:42:53 AM »
I think Earlington made great strides last year and played well in spurts. I've said this for a while if he could turn into Desi Rodriguez for us that would be a tremendous ceiling.

We can all hope for the best but its hard to expect Cole, Posh, etc coming in and lighting the world on fire. It's really unfair expectations for them. We need to hope everyone comes in and can excel at playing hard and within their role similar to how Champagnie did last season

Foad

« Reply #274 on: June 04, 2020, 04:59:34 PM »
I think we all remember times when a JUCO turned out to be a pleasant surprise like Bootsy Thornton, Marcus Hatten and to a significantly lesser extent, LJ, but it’s very hard to tell if they can handle pressure defense or any defense because in every YouTube video, they are all always wide open. An Avery Patterson level player who can light up Navy but can’t even put it on the floor against Maryland isn’t going to cut it. I think we will need Cole to live up to the hype, and maybe even exceed it in order to contend.

If he’s James Scott or Bashir Ahmed, we are going to have to count on others to step up.

Posh could be a scorer. Sure he’s a freshman, but he’s been playing against top competition for long enough. Wouldn’t surprise me to see that he’s ready to go.

We've had this conversation before but I loved James Scott, especially his senior year. And I was not as offended by Ahmed as most despite his being a bit of a bull in a china shop. Both of them though were JUCO AA - Scott twice - and both had issues adapting to D1. Hoping Cole and or Moore dominate might be a bit of wishful thinking.

Assuming there's a season there's a lot of what ifs. If the JUCOs are the real deal. If Dunn develops a reliable jumper. If Posh is the goods. If Champagnie and Earlington and Williams continue their upward trajectories - and there's no dearth of players who didn't. If Roberts is healthy. If Toro is more Lamont Middleton and less Paul Berwanger. That's a lot of what ifs.

Foad

« Reply #275 on: June 04, 2020, 05:06:02 PM »
That’s exactly my point. Without Heron a number of players stepped up.

Yes and my point was that they stepped up because no one cared about them. When Heron went down teams had one less target to focus on and so they focused on LJF. Doug McDermott's father wasn't drawing up games plans designed to stop Earlington and Champagnie, he was saying let's stop LJF and maybe Dunn and let someone else beat us. And the issue I raised was how the players no one cared about will respond if someone takes pains to thwart them, which makes your post in response to mine a bit of a non sequitur.

« Reply #276 on: June 04, 2020, 05:13:21 PM »
Yes and my point was that they stepped up because no one cared about them. When Heron went down teams had one less target to focus on and so they focused on LJF. Doug McDermott's father wasn't drawing up games plans designed to stop Earlington and Champagnie, he was saying let's stop LJF and maybe Dunn and let someone else beat us. And the issue I raised was how the players no one cared about will respond if someone takes pains to thwart them, which makes your post in response to mine a bit of a non sequitur.

I think you're on the money. I will give some credit to the guys here though. I think overall the floor raised and the gap in talent from best to worst closed a bit. Part of that the ceiling lowered too.

It will be interesting to see if we can interchange parts and run mayhem without a drop-off for stretches at a time. We can win ugly with creating turnovers and transition points.

Marillac

« Reply #277 on: June 04, 2020, 05:40:27 PM »
I agree with playing your best players. But like you just said before, we have plenty of smaller options 1-3.

Don’t get me wrong...our best lineup will be with two guards and then Cole at the three. Our next best lienups will be combinations of three of the smaller guards.

Most of Champ’s value comes from playing the four, but I could see him moving down to the three for some stretches if we added a scoring option in the front court.

« Reply #278 on: June 04, 2020, 11:41:17 PM »
Don’t get me wrong...our best lineup will be with two guards and then Cole at the three. Our next best lienups will be combinations of three of the smaller guards.

Most of Champ’s value comes from playing the four, but I could see him moving down to the three for some stretches if we added a scoring option in the front court.

Arguably our best lineup might be... Dunn, Williams, Cole, Earlington, Champagnie

Couldn't play extended minutes but that would be matchup problems. Really dependent on Cole's ability to rebound. 

Poison

« Reply #279 on: June 05, 2020, 10:03:38 AM »
Arguably our best lineup might be... Dunn, Williams, Cole, Earlington, Champagnie

Couldn't play extended minutes but that would be matchup problems. Really dependent on Cole's ability to rebound. 

Dunn and Williams would have to improve significantly in order for that to be our best backcourt.

I like it defensively though. They can put the pressure on, and I love seeing that kind of d. I miss it.

I think Posh is a much more natural lead guard than Dunn, and we never know what Dunn will do. At times he’s awful and not just for short periods in the game.

Posh will be a freshman, so at first I’m sure Dunn will get his opportunity to show that he can be a starting guard. I just hope it’s not at the point.