Ray Salnave: Monmouth Grad Transfer

• 150 replies
Re: Ray Salnave: Monmouth Grad Transfer
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2020, 05:04:40 PM »
This makes no sense. He committed to play for Mullin and his system. Did LJ not look like a great addition his first yr? He did not commit to this staff. It's that simple. I do not understand why this is even a debate.

L.J. statistics over the last two years are virtually identical, with the primary difference being a lower overall FG% (down to 38% from 51%).   I chalk that up to two things.  One, going from being one of several secondary options to the primary option team could focus on.  Two, going from playing with one of the best playmaking guards in the country (Ponds) -- that everyone focused on -- to playing with inferior offensive PGs and less outside scoring options around him.  Myles Powell was as good a shooter as there was in college basketball last season, and saw a 5% drop across-the-board in FG%, FT%, and 3-point percentage, despite playing with a much better supporting cast than the prior year.   So I don't buy this "blaming Anderson" stuff, particularly when he showed the ability to squeeze much more out of some kids than others could.  Sometimes guys have a worse year (like Powell did), even with the same staff and a better surrounding team.  Sometimes a significant change in a kid's role -- like LJ experienced this year -- results in growing pains.  With our squad next year, I think LJ is primed to have a better season.

« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2020, 05:07:14 PM »
No it's not but these are things you have to do as a staff. Can't be July when you figure it out.

Shouldn't Seton Hall do the same with Mamu?  Who is in the exact same position as LJ.  What about the countless other teams that have similar predicaments under the circumstances with the date of the draft and decision deadline pushed back.  I trust any coach connected to this program to have a good read on this stuff -- at some of which won't be and will never be made public unless a certain assistant on the staff is trading information to get positive coverage by a local beat writer.

« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2020, 06:55:13 PM »
No it's not but these are things you have to do as a staff. Can't be July when you figure it out.
Kids enter the transfer portal 365 days a year nowadays so who is to say if LJ doesn't come back having an open schollie may not turn out to be fortuitous even as it relates to the upcoming season.

« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2020, 08:16:33 AM »
Happy Sunday morning all - just a heads up I had a weird dream last night that we gave our open scholarship to a guard from a program like "George Mason", without hearing from LJ, and in the dream I read that "it pretty much closed the LJ chapter unless more roster shakeup".

Just wanted to document it.  Happy Memorial Day Weekend!  Enjoy the news about the NBA and the SEC (and others) opening up facilities - the first step to getting us college basketball next year!

« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2020, 08:31:57 AM »
PRjohnnies doing his best to save this board.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

jr49

« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2020, 01:36:13 PM »
This makes no sense. He committed to play for Mullin and his system. Did LJ not look like a great addition his first yr? He did not commit to this staff. It's that simple. I do not understand why this is even a debate.

If LJ liked Having Ponds run down the clock and then looking to get to the line i be surprised. Anderson gives players a chance to use and sharpen their skills. If you want to stand around thinking about what your moves should be, System might not be for you. Do what you do, but do it fast.

« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »
All due respect, but someone with Anderson's experience has a read on this for sure and knows the best approach to handle.  He is very connected to the day-in-day out, unlike the past.  I thought the culture last year was very good.  Even with the Steere stuff, the level of "drama" did not seem to proliferate the same way it did in prior regimes.  And the kids, including LJ, competing their a** off.  I thought the culture/day-to-day was good compared to the past.

I agree I think Anderson did a better job keeping the house organized but I also think to a degree the spotlight really wasn't too bright either.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2021, 04:29:04 PM »
Interesting thread to re-read for upcoming game against DePaul.

DePaul only has 3 games under their belt this season and Salnave hasn't looked stellar. We have a good sample size on our guys.

Will be interesting to see outcome
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2021, 04:58:07 PM »
Interesting thread to re-read for upcoming game against DePaul.

DePaul only has 3 games under their belt this season and Salnave hasn't looked stellar. We have a good sample size on our guys.

Will be interesting to see outcome

We are usually pretty evenly matched with DePaul, but Salnave probably won’t be a determining factor.

Marillac

« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2021, 08:36:11 PM »
We are usually pretty evenly matched with DePaul

Yes, because we are the worst two programs in the conference. Funny how that works, right?

Poison

« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2021, 10:07:16 PM »
Yes, because we are the worst two programs in the conference. Funny how that works, right?

Georgetown is worse right now.