Foad

Re: LJ Figueroa Transfers
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2020, 07:50:03 AM »
Back over to the real site..enjoy

Addition by subtraction.

Poison

« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2020, 08:58:14 AM »
Look I think Anderson is a good coach who runs a good program. His style is very contrasting to Mullin which is definitely a shock for players who were already on the roster.

Anderson is very set in his ways and I'd almost compare his situation with Tom Coughlin. There is no denying he's a fantastic coach but today's player might not respond immediately, as well, or at all with his style. If St. John's didn't hire Anderson he'd be retired.

If guys don't buy in to what Anderson wants to do he should run them out because you can't have guys half in, half out no matter how talented they are. He will definitely have a better chance with players he brings in vs preexisting rostered players. I said LJ didn't buy in. I think that's partly on player and partly on coach.

He needs to do a better job of getting guys to buy in and embracing players. Can't treat juniors and seniors like they are unaccomplished freshman. Respect is a 2 way street.

I wonder what will happen two years from now when LJ is in Spain, and he’s unhappy coming off the bench.

Will he decide that instead of sticking it out, he’ll put his name in the transfer portal with the intention of transferring to a team in Italy only to find out that there’s no transfer portal in life because it’s a job and you’re expected to figure out how to make it work.

This is why I doubt his future as a pro baller. Anywhere. He’s soft.

Seriously, didn’t we get bullied enough at the end of Mullins tenor to recognize why?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:59:31 AM by Poison »

« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »
Stayed away from this site for some time, run by a clown

Thanks for your contribution to the conversation.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2020, 09:37:02 AM »
I wonder what will happen two years from now when LJ is in Spain, and he’s unhappy coming off the bench.

Will he decide that instead of sticking it out, he’ll put his name in the transfer portal with the intention of transferring to a team in Italy only to find out that there’s no transfer portal in life because it’s a job and you’re expected to figure out how to make it work.

Seriously, didn’t we get bullied enough at the end of Mullins tenor to recognize why?

I've known LJ since he's 15 yrs old. He's a great kid and I was extremely happy when he committed here. He doesn't owe St. John's anything and he made a personal decision just as you or anyone else would with where they live, where they work, etc.

Its unfortunate he couldn't have become a graduate but these things happen and its doesn't make him a bad kid, poor character, or someone you should wish ill on. I hope LJ see success wherever he goes and whatever he winds up doing.

« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »
I have no animosity to the kid and wish him well. Where I disagree with you to some extent is that I do believe he owed something to SJU, his coaches and his teammates. When you attend a school on scholarship, or are just part of a team generally, I don’t think it should be just about you. Ultimately, yes, you have to do what’s best for yourself, but I think there are other considerations as well that go into that dynamic.

And before anyone jumps in, yes I know that scholarships are essentially one-year contracts and schools often show kids the door to bring in talent. I’m not saying that is right either, but that certainly wasn’t the case here.

Poison

« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2020, 12:46:25 PM »
I've known LJ since he's 15 yrs old. He's a great kid and I was extremely happy when he committed here. He doesn't owe St. John's anything and he made a personal decision just as you or anyone else would with where they live, where they work, etc.

Its unfortunate he couldn't have become a graduate but these things happen and its doesn't make him a bad kid, poor character, or someone you should wish ill on. I hope LJ see success wherever he goes and whatever he winds up doing.

I didn't say he owed St.John's anything. I suggested that it looks like LJ thinks it was everyone else, and not him. He shot 37%. Is that really on everyone else?

« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2020, 12:58:40 PM »
I didn't say he owed St.John's anything. I suggested that it looks like LJ thinks it was everyone else, and not him. He shot 37%. Is that really on everyone else?

My message wasn't directed at you specifically.

Marillac

« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2020, 01:00:12 PM »

What a stupid take. LJ transferred twice only after his coaches left. That can just as easily be seen as loyalty.

And coming off the bench in Spain means the kid won in life. I lived in Spain for two summers and it’s incredible. But not for your xenophobic arse. It’s NY or death for you.

« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »
I have no animosity to the kid and wish him well. Where I disagree with you to some extent is that I do believe he owed something to SJU, his coaches and his teammates. When you attend a school on scholarship, or are just part of a team generally, I don’t think it should be just about you. Ultimately, yes, you have to do what’s best for yourself, but I think there are other considerations as well that go into that dynamic.

And before anyone jumps in, yes I know that scholarships are essentially one-year contracts and schools often show kids the door to bring in talent. I’m not saying that is right either, but that certainly wasn’t the case here.

I hear what you are saying and to a degree I agree with you. I think in season you are 100% correct and I think LJ did just that (perhaps Steere another story). However we're in a new age of basketball and year to year it's simply different.

By what you're saying every 1 and done player is essentially betraying their team by pursuing another opportunity.

« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2020, 01:13:20 PM »
Look I think Anderson is a good coach who runs a good program. His style is very contrasting to Mullin which is definitely a shock for players who were already on the roster.

Anderson is very set in his ways and I'd almost compare his situation with Tom Coughlin. There is no denying he's a fantastic coach but today's player might not respond immediately, as well, or at all with his style. If St. John's didn't hire Anderson he'd be retired.

If guys don't buy in to what Anderson wants to do he should run them out because you can't have guys half in, half out no matter how talented they are. He will definitely have a better chance with players he brings in vs preexisting rostered players. I said LJ didn't buy in. I think that's partly on player and partly on coach.

He needs to do a better job of getting guys to buy in and embracing players. Can't treat juniors and seniors like they are unaccomplished freshman. Respect is a 2 way street.

that seems fair like a fair analysis.  let's try anderson's way and see if it works.  Clearly the other approach didn't, and st. john's isn't getting a coach without some warts. 

maybe anderson's recruiting is his downfall or maybe its his intensity or the fact that he wants to hold players accountable and they don't like it.  Or maybe this works out.  His historical record suggests we probably won't be terrible so it's worth taking the shot here.  It's also fair to criticize him, but I think it's far to soon to write him off -- look at our record the 4 years before he took over.  it'll take some time.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2020, 01:28:28 PM »
What’s disappointing is that despite CMA and LJ not on the same page, the team was really coming together at the end of the year and poised to do something special, and the What’s ifs will linger.

It is disappointing that LJ saw that and still wants to transfer. What I cannot figure out l is that he is potentially hamstringing himself. If I compare this to a job.

You sign a contract with your boss for three years, and a year later your boss moves on. A new boss is hired and you look to leave that job. That is understandable because you wanted to work for your previous boss.

After thinking it through you decide to stay with the new boss and see how it goes. There are plenty of ups and downs, but it looks like things are moving in the Right direction. Moving forward your new boss is thinking that you are staying and is designing a team with you in mind.

Secretly you are not happy and start working on other options, despite having one year left on your contract. You boss finds out, is not happy and asks you to make a decision. You decide to leave.

Technically you are unemployed but you are good at what you do so finding a new job shouldn’t be too tough. The problem is:

-Will your boss let you out of your contract or will make you stay out of the workforce for a year.

-Anywhere you go you are the new employee and all the experience and clout you built in your previous organization is gone as well as benefits sucks as vacation and sick days.

-Despite being talented you tried to leave your new boss twice, if things do not work out do you 1. Come crawling back to your boss and be in the dog house for on year or 2. Will he even let you come back so you end up going to a worse situation than before.

-Maybe if you finished out your contract and there’s an option for another year (grad transfer), you could have turned that down and your boss would be more inclined to help you, or at the very least you could leave without any strings attached.

The hard thing about leaving this late in the game is that he rest of the team is being hung out to dry. LJ has to do what’s best for him in the end, he is hurting his teammates. Both can be true.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2020, 03:55:35 PM »
that seems fair like a fair analysis.  let's try anderson's way and see if it works.  Clearly the other approach didn't, and st. john's isn't getting a coach without some warts. 

maybe anderson's recruiting is his downfall or maybe its his intensity or the fact that he wants to hold players accountable and they don't like it.  Or maybe this works out.  His historical record suggests we probably won't be terrible so it's worth taking the shot here.  It's also fair to criticize him, but I think it's far to soon to write him off -- look at our record the 4 years before he took over.  it'll take some time.

But did it not work previously? We fired last two coaches coming off of NCAA Tournament appearances after the school didn't dance for over a decade.

« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2020, 03:58:25 PM »
What’s disappointing is that despite CMA and LJ not on the same page, the team was really coming together at the end of the year and poised to do something special, and the What’s ifs will linger.

It is disappointing that LJ saw that and still wants to transfer. What I cannot figure out l is that he is potentially hamstringing himself. If I compare this to a job.

You sign a contract with your boss for three years, and a year later your boss moves on. A new boss is hired and you look to leave that job. That is understandable because you wanted to work for your previous boss.

After thinking it through you decide to stay with the new boss and see how it goes. There are plenty of ups and downs, but it looks like things are moving in the Right direction. Moving forward your new boss is thinking that you are staying and is designing a team with you in mind.

Secretly you are not happy and start working on other options, despite having one year left on your contract. You boss finds out, is not happy and asks you to make a decision. You decide to leave.

Technically you are unemployed but you are good at what you do so finding a new job shouldn’t be too tough. The problem is:

-Will your boss let you out of your contract or will make you stay out of the workforce for a year.

-Anywhere you go you are the new employee and all the experience and clout you built in your previous organization is gone as well as benefits sucks as vacation and sick days.

-Despite being talented you tried to leave your new boss twice, if things do not work out do you 1. Come crawling back to your boss and be in the dog house for on year or 2. Will he even let you come back so you end up going to a worse situation than before.

-Maybe if you finished out your contract and there’s an option for another year (grad transfer), you could have turned that down and your boss would be more inclined to help you, or at the very least you could leave without any strings attached.

The hard thing about leaving this late in the game is that he rest of the team is being hung out to dry. LJ has to do what’s best for him in the end, he is hurting his teammates. Both can be true.

I don't think the 45 days-ish after the conclusion of the NCAA season is leaving the program hung out to dry. The school year just ended. There will be guys who transfer after him.

« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2020, 04:25:36 PM »
I hear what you are saying and to a degree I agree with you. I think in season you are 100% correct and I think LJ did just that (perhaps Steere another story). However we're in a new age of basketball and year to year it's simply different.

By what you're saying every 1 and done player is essentially betraying their team by pursuing another opportunity.

I hear you and don’t disagree with you when a kid turns pro. That’s an entirely different decision and involves $. Forget about the new staff that just invested in him for a year, and forget about the school that offered him a platform to learn and grow both as a player and individual. He’s been playing with GW, ME and Roberts for two years. Doesn’t that matter?  I played college sports - baseball at the D-I level - and it absolutely did to me. We didn’t recruit over him. We didn’t show him the door. If anything we brought in what I think will be a more balanced roster that would help him in the court. He almost left last year and decided to return. He had to know by March where he was at and if he wanted to leave why not just tell the staff at that point instead of apparently loading up on additional credits to try and position himself as a grad transfer. Two months ago we would have been positioned to land someone to replace him much easier. If you know you are going to leave, don’t you owe it to everyone to not think solely about yourself and consider your teammates/friends you’ve played with for the last year/two years or the coaches who spent time with you the past year trying to make you better (even if you didn’t like one).

« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2020, 05:04:03 PM »
Does he start for the Oregon Ducks this year if the wavier is approved ? A lot of competition at the Wing spots. If he sits, does he Pull a Chris Obekpa , sit one and then play professionally?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 05:05:38 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Foad

« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2020, 05:08:10 PM »
Addition by subducktion

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2020, 05:47:34 PM »
Addition by subtraction.

Foad—you are usually good with this kind of stuff.....do you think when he spoke of “circumstances out of his control” he tried to come back and staff said no....you usually have good insight, when interpreting quotes- any thoughts?

Poison

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2020, 08:35:55 PM »
Foad—you are usually good with this kind of stuff.....do you think when he spoke of “circumstances out of his control” he tried to come back and staff said no....you usually have good insight, when interpreting quotes- any thoughts?

The circumstances are Coach Mullin not being his coach anymore, unless there’s something I’m missing, and we all know how rare that is.

« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2020, 09:53:51 PM »
"In Coach Anderson we trust"

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2020, 11:01:21 AM »
LJ UPDATE: Officially Commits to Oregon.  Definitely weird if he cannot obtain a waiver.

Wrote a little about it if you care to check it out https://sidelinesports.report/2020/06/21/lj-figueroa-officially-departs-from-st-johns/