St. John's is now a system program

• 41 replies
St. John's is now a system program
« on: May 31, 2020, 04:04:16 PM »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

Re: St. John's is now a system program
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 04:39:48 PM »
Article from Jon Rothstein on state of St. John's.

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php/rothstein-files/st-johns-is-officially-a-system-program/

This is what I’ve been calling for since that POS hired Norm Roberts and kept him for six years.

A coach with no system never has any idea who will be on his team from year to year, which is why we haven’t had any idea either.

Look at the players that Jim Boeheim recruits. Even the ones that make you scratch your head. They are all part of his system.

We used to play defense that coaches like Jim Calhoun and Jim Boeheim we’re afraid of. We used out-athlete our opponents.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 04:42:44 PM »
This is what I’ve been calling for since that POS hired Norm Roberts and kept him for six years.

A coach with no system never has any idea who will be on his team from year to year, which is why we haven’t had any idea either.

Look at the players that Jim Boeheim recruits. Even the ones that make you scratch your head. They are all part of his system.

We used to play defense that coaches like Jim Calhoun and Jim Boeheim we’re afraid of. We used out-athlete our opponents.

JB has NBA talent every year.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 04:49:38 PM »
JB has NBA talent every year.

He does, but he also finds plenty of diamonds in the rough and turns them into great players.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 11:31:20 AM »
I think many of us were here in the 80's Final 4, here for the Elite 8 team in 99, and think we are still a destination for 5* players that we can throw the ball to and say "Go get a bucket".

The college basketball landscape has changed.  Right now we aren't getting those 5*'s, or even 4*'s consistently.  Just the idea of Monteverde's, Oak Hill's, the best aren't in our backyard for high school anymore, forget about realignments, paying kids under the table, etc. 

If that means we pivot to a system that is based on junkyard-dog hustle, where we punch around .500 each and every season, I am on board.  A system that works well with 3* kids who are ready to play ball and buy-in.  All of a sudden that fringe kid in Long Island can find a home and be successful, even if that doesn't mean NBA.   

One season we get some bounces our way (they must happen sometime) we could have 23 wins and be in the tournament, if .500 is the goal each and every year. 

I like what I see so far, and yes can admit I am still drunk in the Honeymoon phase of CMA's hiring and the results of last season. 

I just want a reason to watch Selection Sunday!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:33:42 AM by porterbrown »

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 11:44:02 PM »
One season we get some bounces our way (they must happen sometime) 
Oh yeah. You must be a very new fan.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 09:20:52 AM »
Oh yeah. You must be a very new fan.

If this can happen in the bright lights of MSG in the BET, than anything can happen! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiJMZdyorb0

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 02:18:36 AM »
If this can happen in the bright lights of MSG in the BET, than anything can happen! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiJMZdyorb0

You've made your point.

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 04:45:41 PM »
Anderson has never been good at getting the big stars, he get's the 6-3 to 6-6 wing/shooter players like Cole and turns them into Winners, too many times has he found diamond in the roughs in JUCO and they turn out to be all-SEC players, recruiting rankings means nothing because JUCO's dont count and thats what he will get in 2021 also, which is not a bad thing because he has proven that it works.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 09:32:02 PM »
Anderson has never been good at getting the big stars, he get's the 6-3 to 6-6 wing/shooter players like Cole and turns them into Winners, too many times has he found diamond in the roughs in JUCO and they turn out to be all-SEC players, recruiting rankings means nothing because JUCO's dont count and thats what he will get in 2021 also, which is not a bad thing because he has proven that it works.

They can be jucos, but they have to be studs until we can land top local talent. Lotta pressure on Vince Cole.

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 12:08:11 PM »
You think about the JuCo transfers we've had since Hatten. Hatten is the benchmark. Dwight Hardy, great senior year, okay first year. Justin Brownlee, one notch below Hardy. Bashir Ahmed, two good years, not great years.

Not fair to expect Cole to do any more than Ahmed, Brownlee or Hardy did their first year. This team will need four or five guys to average near double figures scoring to share the load. Those guys include; Penny, Earlington, Williams, Cole, and Dunn.

jr49

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 12:35:53 PM »
No, its not a bad thing. We have a real coach who it seems wants to be here. Go down the list and see how many have fit that bill.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 09:04:33 PM »
You think about the JuCo transfers we've had since Hatten. Hatten is the benchmark. Dwight Hardy, great senior year, okay first year. Justin Brownlee, one notch below Hardy. Bashir Ahmed, two good years, not great years.

Not fair to expect Cole to do any more than Ahmed, Brownlee or Hardy did their first year. This team will need four or five guys to average near double figures scoring to share the load. Those guys include; Penny, Earlington, Williams, Cole, and Dunn.

I think those guys, the 5 you mentioned have just as much a chance as being our leading scorers as the rest of the team except for maybe Wusu.

But then again, few thought Champagnie was even a BE player let alone an all rookie team selection.

I think if our returning players, Champagnie and Earlington will score. IDK enough about Cole or Alexander, but if they’re not ready, we will struggle. Dunn can’t be a lead guard.

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 12:26:53 AM »
Hatten is the benchmark. 
Perhaps the Truth is the benchmark youngster.

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 08:04:27 PM »
Perhaps the Truth is the benchmark youngster.
True that, but I wanted to keep it within this century. That being said, an off the top of my head teams of St Johns JuCo's...

Walter Berry
Bootsy Thornton
Marcus Hatten
Dwight Hardy
Justin Brownlee
Bashir Ahmed

thoughts?

Poison

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 08:52:39 PM »
True that, but I wanted to keep it within this century. That being said, an off the top of my head teams of St Johns JuCo's...

Walter Berry
Bootsy Thornton
Marcus Hatten
Dwight Hardy
Justin Brownlee
Bashir Ahmed

thoughts?
I think some jucos from the 80s and even part of the 90s would be thought of as better players in today’s game. As we know, the juco ranks aren’t nearly as deep as they once were.

In today’s game, landing a top 5 juco means you got Nurideen Lindsay.

In 1990, it meant Boo Harvey.

cjfish

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 09:24:32 AM »
billy Paultz

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 10:47:11 PM »

I think Cole will be the leading scorer.  If not him then who?  I'm as big of a Champ and Earlington fan as there is, but they aren't ready to be primary options.  They need to pick their spots.  Cole can be the kind of guy that can just score.  I think Posh will score more than most expect as well...I just think it will be very up and down.  He'll get 20 one night and 7 the next. 15-17 points is my expectation.  In a different system and/or surrounded by better scorers that would obviously change.

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 08:45:48 AM »
I think Cole will be the leading scorer.  If not him then who?  I'm as big of a Champ and Earlington fan as there is, but they aren't ready to be primary options.  They need to pick their spots.  Cole can be the kind of guy that can just score.  I think Posh will score more than most expect as well...I just think it will be very up and down.  He'll get 20 one night and 7 the next. 15-17 points is my expectation.  In a different system and/or surrounded by better scorers that would obviously change.

15-17 for cole not posh, right?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2020, 10:50:30 AM »
I see our team having top 5 scores with:

14 ppg
13 ppg
12.5 ppg
11 ppg
9 ppg

The names of who does what really doesn't matter how we are built. I think our system is more of next man up, committee style, and that is OK.

All our eggs into one basket (Ponds) led to amazing wins (shooting 13-17 from the floor) and some frustrating losses (5-18 from the floor).

Diversify your scoring St. John's! 

I do think:

Toro leads in rebounding.
Moore leads in blocks.
Alexender leads in assists (if starts), if he doesn't then Dunn will lead.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 10:56:26 AM by porterbrown »