Lasalle 11/26

• 154 replies
Re: Lasalle 11/26
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2020, 09:34:51 PM »
You're right he exceeded expectations leading us to a 5-13 record in conference. Not sure we'll be too much better this year.

I don't know what you want me to tell you. He's a nice piece and his shift to stretch 4 elevated his game. If he was our 8th best player I'd be really happy

Just say you are not happy with CMA as the coach of the program. Don’t package it as some other type of BS.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2020, 09:51:21 PM »
Mike is not a good recruiter, muss took over at Arkansas an has a complete new an great roster, 2 players remain from mike's error, 1 may start early on, but Mike never had a complete team, in year two the Razorback have a potential final 4 team, excuses is all you guys will hear from mike when it comes to recruiting. Mike is a fine fellow an good coach but to hard headed to understand how to recruit this generation.

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2020, 09:53:57 PM »
Mike is not a good recruiter, muss took over at Arkansas an has a complete new an great roster, 2 players remain from mike's error, 1 may start early on, but Mike never had a complete team, in year two the Razorback have a potential final 4 team, excuses is all you guys will hear from mike when it comes to recruiting. Mike is a fine fellow an good coach but to hard headed to understand how to recruit this generation.

Didn’t one of his Arkansas recruits just get drafted?

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2020, 10:03:49 PM »
2-0 is the best you could ask for. I will make judgements at the end of the season. I disagree with Dave mostly about his statements about the conference. Saint John's will be improved from last year and be middle of the pack.
Posh was running down people and Wusu looks like a brick house! Cole and Moore are skinny for sure. Tariq  Owens never got any beefier.
The thing I would like to see is better half court sets. Earlington was hitting the high post put the perimeter players were not hitting him with the ball.
Hopefully they take better care of the ball and make the extra pass. The team will get good shots. Like when Wusu hit the corner three.

Poison

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2020, 10:16:24 PM »
2-0 is the best you could ask for. I will make judgements at the end of the season. I disagree with Dave mostly about his statements about the conference. Saint John's will be improved from last year and be middle of the pack.
Posh was running down people and Wusu looks like a brick house! Cole and Moore are skinny for sure. Tariq  Owens never got any beefier.
The thing I would like to see is better half court sets. Earlington was hitting the high post put the perimeter players were not hitting him with the ball.
Hopefully they take better care of the ball and make the extra pass. The team will get good shots. Like when Wusu hit the corner three.

Good points. I did see Cole find Earlington under the basket for a bucket. He’s better than I expected him to be. He’s got good instincts, and after watching Heron for two years that’s a welcome addition.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 10:20:32 PM by Poison »

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2020, 10:33:06 PM »
Just say you are not happy with CMA as the coach of the program. Don’t package it as some other type of BS.

I'm not happy with the direction of the athletic program. Not BS, matter of factly.

I think our problems are deep rooted and widespread.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2020, 10:39:39 PM »

Tariq Owens was way more twitchy and could jump out of the gym. Moore is best big recruit so far of Mike Anderson era. Want to see more but he has some skills to work with. Needs to get stronger but that can be said for almost all bigs.

Wasu is definitely is a brick house. He kind of reminds me of Earlington a bit and hopefully he shreds up. He can be a poor man's Rawle Alkins which can be tough matchup on both ends.

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2020, 11:01:34 PM »
Not a secret that the strength and conditioning coach was a budget hire from Marshall University. Same guy for the last three years. They didn't want to pony up to keep prior strength staff.

Team looks like bottom of the pack Big East. Right where they're projected to be.

Next yr they need to take a leap.

I like Posh but he needs some above the rim athletes to make his time here special.

Cole looks good and efficient.

I'm not all in on Champaigne yet like most fans are. He needs to be able to create his own shot off the dribble. Let's see if he worked on that this off season.

Anderson still all over the place with rotations.

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2020, 11:24:53 PM »
Cole can shoot and he's got some swag to him.
Yes he can and he does.

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2020, 11:27:32 PM »
Didn’t one of his Arkansas recruits just get drafted?

Isiah Joe, who was a recruit outside the top 100 and got picked 49th overall

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2020, 11:39:21 PM »
Isiah Joe, who was a recruit outside the top 100 and got picked 49th overall

Late bloomer. Was 6'1 as junior and was shooting up the recruiting ranks. Wound up just outside of top 100. Also like almost all Anderson recruits he lived in state.

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2020, 11:42:36 PM »
Late bloomer. Was 6'1 as junior and was shooting up the recruiting ranks. Wound up just outside of top 100. Also like almost all Anderson recruits he lived in state.

Sure seems like he can spot talent

Dan

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2020, 11:46:37 PM »
It's definitely going to be another long season.  However, if you look at the recent recruiting class ranks, Anderson isn't really lagging behind anyone other than Lavin, who lost a bunch of players because he couldn't really manage them.  See Rysheed Jordan and the list of others in the revolving door.  Sure it isn't all on the coach that a player goes off the rails but in the end they're responsible for the outcome.  It isn't helpful to get 4 star recruits if they end up leaving the program before they start or aren't coached up so they can meet that potential.

I don't care what the star rankings are if Anderson can develop players and win games based off of that.  He didn't in year one.  The talent doesn't look good enough to make the leap this year either.  Game one was rough, but they need some time to gel before you can make a real call and luckily they pulled it out and avoided a bad loss.  Today was better but still think BE play is going to go poorly.  I'm skeptical overall that Anderson can do it, but he's here for the next few years at least so all I can do is hope.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:48:10 PM by Dan »

Dan

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2020, 11:52:42 PM »
BC is going to be a big test.  They played Villanova tough and beat RI today.  Don't think they have any kind of a shot against TT the way they're playing.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:53:12 PM by Dan »

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2020, 07:22:21 AM »
the main problem with CMA asa coach is the recruiting. He gets his teams to play hard and seems to develop guys well but the recruiting has been atrocious. I don't get why some posters try to twist this notion or come up with excuses. He hasn't brought in 1 top 100 recruit and it is very alarming. Both Lavin and Mullin were able to do that when they first were hired.

I think these problems will continue because (and Dave can probably answer this question) these top talented recruits do not want to play in a system like Andersons. They want to focus on showcasing their offensive talents and want to play most of the game. In his system he focuses on defense and going 10 players deep. This isn't appealing to the top 100 type of talents in todays game.

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2020, 07:24:24 AM »
the main problem with CMA asa coach is the recruiting. He gets his teams to play hard and seems to develop guys well but the recruiting has been atrocious. I don't get why some posters try to twist this notion or come up with excuses. He hasn't brought in 1 top 100 recruit and it is very alarming. Both Lavin and Mullin were able to do that when they first were hired.

I think these problems will continue because (and Dave can probably answer this question) these top talented recruits do not want to play in a system like Andersons. They want to focus on showcasing their offensive talents and want to play most of the game. In his system he focuses on defense and going 10 players deep. This isn't appealing to the top 100 type of talents in todays game.

If all you focus on is the stars next to their name you could be upset with the recruiting. But how about how they perform on the court? Atrocious?

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2020, 07:31:48 AM »
If all you focus on is the stars next to their name you could be upset with the recruiting. But how about how they perform on the court? Atrocious?

So why are there stars or rankings? Look at the players in the top 100 in the last 20 years who have been drafted and look at the players outside of the top 100 who have been drafted and get back to me. The recruits we have gotten look at the competition we've beaten out for them. I am all for some players that or 3 stars or maybe even not that but are diamonds in the trough and out play their ranking and are coached up but to compete consistently in the big east you need to land some top 100 level talent to compete. This sort of recruiting could work at a mid major but not in the big east

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2020, 07:41:54 AM »
So why are there stars or rankings? Look at the players in the top 100 in the last 20 years who have been drafted and look at the players outside of the top 100 who have been drafted and get back to me. The recruits we have gotten look at the competition we've beaten out for them. I am all for some players that or 3 stars or maybe even not that but are diamonds in the trough and out play their ranking and are coached up but to compete consistently in the big east you need to land some top 100 level talent to compete. This sort of recruiting could work at a mid major but not in the big east

I’m asking you if you think the players he has gotten here are atrocious?

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
I’m asking you if you think the players he has gotten here are atrocious?

Based on big east standards the recruiting has been atrocious. Like i said some of his finds have been good-Julian, I like posh a lot, I coach on long island and have coached against Pinzon who I like as well. But overall we've been the worst recruiting team in the Big east since he's been here.

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2020, 08:45:32 AM »
Based on big east standards the recruiting has been atrocious. Like i said some of his finds have been good-Julian, I like posh a lot, I coach on long island and have coached against Pinzon who I like as well. But overall we've been the worst recruiting team in the Big east since he's been here.

Based on where scouting services rate them. Ever think Mike Anderson could know more than Paul biancardi?