Student Pep Rally - Stormfest

• 164 replies
Re: Student Pep Rally - Stormfest
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2008, 11:19:05 PM »
Nice job fellas, thanks. Were the recruits sitting with each other  or scattered?

« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2008, 11:56:18 PM »
From zagsblog

Other recruits to attend the event included Jarrid Famous, the 6-10 center from Westchester Community College who is making an official visit to Seton Hall this weekend; Ashton Pankey, Devon Collier and Derrick Williams from St. Anthony, JayVaughn Pinkston and Branden Frazier from Bishop Loughlin; Sterling Gibbs from Seton Hall Prep; Joel Wright, David Coley and Davontay Grace from Thomas Jefferson; Joey De La Rosa and Sidike Johnson from St. Raymond’s in the Bronx; Jermaine Sanders from Rice; and Corey Edwards from Christ the King

kob24

« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2008, 12:31:43 AM »
I had fun it was way better than last years. And the students stayed and partied in taffner after the event was over. Man if I wasn't involved it would have been "awesome time" for me some of those "students" was looking good

***I had to hop in and edit what you said I agree with however we can't say that
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:48:29 AM by JJ »

« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2008, 12:50:29 AM »
Back from StormFest.  There will be articles on NYCHoops.net and RedStormReport in the next few days on it.  First off, it was great to sit next to and finally meet the great JJ himself.  I thought the event went VERY well for St. John's.  There were 15 (yes, 15) recruits there taking in the event.  Lance brought his mother and father, which is a good sign for SJU IMO because usually it's just his father at events..and yes, there were Lance chants. 
Look forward to the reports and thanks to those who shared what was going on tonight.

Marco, do you have a link for all of those names? That's a pretty solid crew.

KOB, We need pictures. ;)

Marillac

« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2008, 01:04:51 AM »
Thanks for all the reports fellas.  Good to see such a long list of recruits in the house tonight. Hopefully they came away impressed. 

« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2008, 01:33:10 AM »
I had fun it was way better than last...

Easy Tiger!!! Sorry I missed it!!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:49:55 AM by JJ »

gonzalo

« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2008, 01:47:51 AM »
Thanks for the reports.

http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/092508aad.html

St. John's Holds 2008 Red Storm Tip-Off

Students and fans treated to sneak preview of 2008-09 teams.

Sept. 25, 2008

2008 Red Storm Tip-Off Photo Gallery

QUEENS, N.Y. - Nearly 1,200 St. John's students and Red Storm basketball fans attended the 2008 Red Storm Tip-Off held at Taffner Field House on Thursday night. Those in attendance were treated to an early look at both the men's and women's basketball teams and a night full of contests and activities. In addition to the sneak preview of the 2008-09 basketball teams, fans were invited to test their St. John's basketball knowledge against special guest and 1982 grad Howie Schwab of ESPN's "Stump The Schwab."

After an introduction by head women's coach Kim Barnes Arico, the women's team delighted fans with a dance routine before holding an intrasquad scrimmage. Head men's coach Norm Roberts then took to the court and introduced his squad. The men took to the court for what proved to be an exhibition of fast breaks and slam dunks.

Anthony Mason Jr. then beat out teammates Paris Horne and Justin Burrell to win the slam dunk contest. The contest featured Kristin Moore, Joy McCorvey and Monique McLean of the women's team and Schwab as guest judges.

One lucky fan won four tickets to the St. John's game against Duke as well as dinner for four at The ESPN Zone in Times Square after correctly answering The Schwab's trivia questions. Another fan had the opportunity to win $30,000 in a shooting contest, while many other fans brought home Nike prize packs and apparel, Red Storm gear and gift certificates to the campus bookstore.

Before the Red Storm Tip-Off began, fans enjoyed D.J. music, inflatable games, a free BBQ and giveaways from the Powerade Street Team. Fans were invited to stick around following the event for an afterparty featuring D.J. Flo and a step-exhibition by members of ALFSA, St. John's Greek life organization.

Four starters and 10 letterwinners return for Roberts and the Red Storm in 2008-09, including an All-BIG EAST honorable mention selection in senior Anthony Mason Jr. (14.0 points per game, 4.4 rebounds per game), BIG EAST All-Rookie team member Justin Burrell (10.8 ppg, 5.9 rpg), sophomore guard-forward D.J. Kennedy (7.8 ppg, 5.8 rpg) and second-year point guard Malik Boothe (2.5 assists per game). The Red Storm men open their season on Friday, Nov. 14 when local squad LIU visits what will be a newly-renovated Carnesecca Arena.

Fresh off its quarterfinal appearance in the Postseason WNIT, its fifth-straight BIG EAST Tournament berth and an 18-15 record, Barnes Arico and the women's basketball team open its season on Nov. 14 against Northeastern at Carnesecca Arena. The women return their leading scorer in second team All-Met (MBWA) selection Monique McLean (14.7 ppg, 5.4 rpg) and third-leading scorer in 2008 BIG EAST All-Freshman team selection Sky Lindsay (8.5 ppg). Seniors Kelly McManmon (7.6 ppg) and Kristin Moore (.625 FG pct), and juniors Joy McCorvey (5.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg) and Aricia Mitchell (4.6 ppg) are among the Red Storm's top returnees.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:49:38 AM by gonzalo »

« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2008, 01:56:19 AM »
I'll publish thing tomorrow but a few things I'll share

Deke looks amazing WOW ubelievable difference in his body he is a monster

Phil wait is an impressive person and player

Backup PG is a huge concern to me

Overall event was huge so many recruits I'll publsh more over the weekend
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2008, 03:28:27 AM »

From Hoops Weiss

Johnnies tying to lure Stephenson
September 25, 2008
St. John’s is doing everything it can to lure ballyhooed shooting guard Lance Stephenson to Fresh Meadows, and it rolled out the red carpet for the top prospect at this evening’s Midnight Madness event at Taffner Fieldhouse.

Nearly every top area high school standout showed up, but Stephenson was easily the most visible. Most of the other potential Johnnies stood or walked around during the scrimmage, but Stephenson sat near the front row with his mom and dad. Anthony Mason Jr. sat down next to him after an intrasquad scrimmage, and Stephenson and his parents conversed with Norm Roberts and his staff throughout the evening.

At one point, the crowd chanted for him, begging him to commit to St. John’s.

“If I was Lance, I would have committed here (right now),” said Johnnies guard Malik Boothe, making his own recruiting pitch. “Because if the fans were yelling at me that they wanted me …”

Stephenson, however, remained noncommittal about his interest in the Johnnies. He didn’t say whether the Red Storm’s Midnight Madness had pushed St. John’s up on his list, but he told the Daily News he liked some of the improvements that the school is making to its facilities and said he enjoyed the event.

“It was nice,” he said. “I liked it.”

The Red Storm seem to have a decent shot at Stephenson, and they’re also making headway with a handful of other local prospects. Top JUCO big man Jarrid Famous said the Johnnies are “in my top 10”, and Loughlin forward Jayvaughn Pinkston, a top target for 2010, said he likes the location of the school.

“It’s close to home,” he said. “And they want me as a three (small forward.)”

Touted forwards Ashton Pankey, Devon Collier and Derrick Williams also attended the event, as did Class of 2011 point guard prospects Sterling Gibbs and Corey Edwards.

Ebenezer Samuel

« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2008, 04:21:49 AM »
this is nice work from all of you.

many thanks!!!

kob24

« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2008, 07:07:25 AM »
Omari couldn't make it he had a commitment to his school he was upset but thats how it goes sometimes. And Jordan Williams takes his official here next week.

« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2008, 08:42:33 AM »
Back from StormFest.  There will be articles on NYCHoops.net and RedStormReport in the next few days on it.  First off, it was great to sit next to and finally meet the great JJ himself.  I thought the event went VERY well for St. John's.  There were 15 (yes, 15) recruits there taking in the event.  Lance brought his mother and father, which is a good sign for SJU IMO because usually it's just his father at events..and yes, there were Lance chants. 
Look forward to the reports and thanks to those who shared what was going on tonight.

Marco, do you have a link for all of those names? That's a pretty solid crew.

KOB, We need pictures. ;)

Heres the link

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/09/25/st-johns-hoping-to-be-born-again/

« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2008, 09:44:46 AM »
My St. John Brothers...

Had an emergency I had to deal wit last night. But I just wanna let y'all know how appreciative I am of all the reports y'all came out wit. Much obliged.

A few of my boys was at the event and basically was tellin me evrytin y'all reported. Anybdy notice Lance's moms? Cant remember when I last saw her outside of Coney.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Randomhero423

« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »
sounds like everyone had a great time. thanks for the reports, i wish i woulda been able to go.

now i'm very interested in seeing pinkston, as i thought he was a lot more a 4 than a 3... hmm

« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2008, 10:14:26 AM »
sounds like everyone had a great time. thanks for the reports, i wish i woulda been able to go.

now i'm very interested in seeing pinkston, as i thought he was a lot more a 4 than a 3... hmm

Evrybdy gotta understand that he only halfway thru high school. I believe JP can make the transition.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

pmg911

« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2008, 11:20:40 AM »

Evrybdy gotta understand that he only halfway thru high school. I believe JP can make the transition.

Choz. . I hope you are right but I don't share your faith in this young man's game to make the transition to play the wing in major Div I..

kjd01067

« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2008, 12:02:01 PM »

A couple questions JJ ... Do you think Wait will be able to contribute this year and to what extent and secondly why is backup pg such a concern to you?  Did edmonson and roberts not look good in the open floor with the ball?

« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2008, 12:27:17 PM »
I had fun it was way better than last years. And the students stayed and partied in taffner after the event was over. Man if I wasn't involved it would have been "awesome time" for me some of those "students" was looking good

***I had to hop in and edit what you said I agree with however we can't say that

LOL... I haven't been on campus in a few years... but you are making me think back.

« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2008, 04:59:58 PM »

JJ please if you can expand your comments on Wait. Will he help this year??  Is he ahead of Tomas??  I saw him 3 years ago at Proctor and thought he was Big East recruitable because of his hands and shooting touch.  He needed lots of work on his body though..what do you think??

kob24

« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2008, 05:19:31 PM »
he won't help this year but he is better than tomas. And they need a back up point.